Xbox360 480p question

RancidWAnnaRIot

EspantaPajaros
The background:

So, i'm getting tired of playing my Xbox on my CRT PC monitor.. i think i should get an EDTV for it cause i want to play it in the living room and i'm tired of having to unplug my monitor, and plugs in the Xbox.. plust there is mush space in my study room where my computer is.

I just need something that isn't SDTV because i can't play any games on an SDTV.. some games (in this case enchanted arms) can't be played on an SDTV.. you just can't see the text, it's WAY too blurry.. some other games i've played are unplayably blurry.. it's not my SDTV cause i tried it on two SDTV's at my parents house, with the same result.. the SDTVs were in the 27" ball park.

Anyway.. should i go with an EDTV? or something that can do at least 720i/p? i'm looking at the ball park of 20" and as cheap as possible.. I thinking i need to go widescreen too, cause having a 4:3 480p screen would cut the screen with the black bars right?

hhmmmmm

any suggestions?

EDTV is pretty hard to come by anymore...it was more or less a stop-gap for the transition from SD to HDTV...I would strongly recommend doing an HDTV; it is more future proof so if at some point you do get HD cable or something, you'll be ready for it...

...I don't know that the price difference is all that great between a 20" ED or HDTV...and then you could play 360 in HD!!

I picked up a 20" Toshiba HDTV off woot w/ built-in DVD player for $350 a month or so ago...it's 'refurb,' but haven't had any problems yet!

humm i see.. yea i'm looking to not go over $400

i forgot to mention i'm a college student.. i can afford something more expensive.. but i really want to limit how much i spend on this..sincei feel alittle forced into this

By a rly nice monitor. Im sure a nice 1080p monitor can be had for that much

I just (last weekend) bought a Westinghouse LTV 32w6 HD.
$599 at Best Buy.

Pc input (I'm writing from it) 2 Component Inputs, 1 HDMI, 1 S-video, 1 Composite, and even the ol' RF antenae in.

This replaced and old RCA SDTV that I used for 480i stuff(PS2), and my 21' CRT that I used for internet and HD or 480p gaming. (Using a component convertor)
Quality is amazing. No ghosting, no loss of anything from an angle. I still cant believe what I got for the price. This set should be $800-900 easy.

Just a recommendation, I dont know if you want something this big. (32 inch)

thanks for the suggestions.. im' leaning towards a TV over a monitor though.. cause i would like to use this in the living room for TV as well..

I've been using an Olevia 27" flat panel for about 5 months now and love it. I use it mostly for my 360 but a little for my computer also. Its a bit too hard on the eyes for up close web browsing but perfect for watching movies.

I bought mine for $380 from office max in november. I'd advise you keep an eye over at www.fatwallet.com in the forums. These deals come up pretty often

I'd say so. I too am an undergraduate and thus on a budget. The picture quality of my 360 on the Olevia is seems just as good as it is on the 50" samsung DLP that I share with a few other guys. To me, HD, size, and price were my determining factors.

What I don't like about my Olevia is that the interface is extremely clunky. Every once and awhile it keeps changing input sources for about a minute. Additionally, the remote is horrible and requires asbsolutely nothing obstructing its line of sight.

But this stuff does not really bother me, I can deal with a clunky interface for a substantially smaller price tag. If I was buying the LCD for my parents, I wouldnt get Olevia; They'd just get frustrated.

Back