Xeon 5xxx series, 4 socket, "16 way" capable?

CyberDeus-RagDoll

[H]ard|Gawd
I know, of course, that there are motherboards that exist today for the 4 core, xeon 5xxx series processors that have dual socket, so as to afford us "8 cores"

However, is this processor series capable of 4 socket, "16 core" support? are we waiting on chipsets to be produced that do this? Or is it that there is just a perceived "lack of demand"?

We're still running dual socket, single core with our servers,however, we are playing with quads and octal now that they are "manageable" for some experimental rollouts (considering application servers along the lines of what you see with "writely" from google)

I just am curious as to whether or not there is product in existance that does this today.

We are currently also considering blade servers for future deployment because of the space / processing density achievable.
This sort of thing is available with the dual core, 7xxx series, and the dual core, itanium 2 9xxx series processors (512 processor support!)

I know, of course, that there are motherboards that exist today for the 4 core, xeon 5xxx series processors that have dual socket, so as to afford us "8 cores"

However, is this processor series capable of 4 socket, "16 core" support? are we waiting on chipsets to be produced that do this? Or is it that there is just a perceived "lack of demand"?

We're still running dual socket, single core with our servers,however, we are playing with quads and octal now that they are "manageable" for some experimental rollouts (considering application servers along the lines of what you see with "writely" from google)

I just am curious as to whether or not there is product in existance that does this today.

We are currently also considering blade servers for future deployment because of the space / processing density achievable.
This sort of thing is available with the dual core, 7xxx series, and the dual core, itanium 2 9xxx series processors (512 processor support!)

if you are going that route it will be sometime (poss first q of 2008) before intel will be able to do the 16 core stuff. however i am aware that amds opterons do run this way and when the get the native quad core your set, ie 8 sockts = 32 cores. you will want native quad core, not this slap on stuff intel does. that way if an app needs more cache it has it available for use.

So you're trying to call it the Quadfather's Daddy or what LOL!

So you're trying to call it the Quadfather's Daddy or what LOL!

Not having known what the "quadfather" is at the time you posted, I would say no, but, as I've researched, and found out that the "quadfather" is a single motherboard with 4 AMD sockets (which support dual core opterons for now, and will support quad core opterons when they come out), then, yes..

I am looking for a single motherboard with 4 sockets on it that support Xeon 5xxx series processors.

4 sockets, 4 cores per socket = 16 cores per motherboard.

Supermicro has a dual node solution in a single 1U rack, but that's two dual socket motherboards.
2 motherboards supporting 8 cores each, even though in ONE chassis, is not the same as 1 motherboard supporting 16 cores.

In some ways, the supermicro solution might be better, but that's not the point.

Not having known what the "quadfather" is at the time you posted, I would say no, but, as I've researched, and found out that the "quadfather" is a single motherboard with 4 AMD sockets (which support dual core opterons for now, and will support quad core opterons when they come out), then, yes..

I am looking for a single motherboard with 4 sockets on it that support Xeon 5xxx series processors.

4 sockets, 4 cores per socket = 16 cores per motherboard.

Supermicro has a dual node solution in a single 1U rack, but that's two dual socket motherboards.
2 motherboards supporting 8 cores each, even though in ONE chassis, is not the same as 1 motherboard supporting 16 cores.

In some ways, the supermicro solution might be better, but that's not the point.

Yes LOL, I should have made it clear that it was nothing more than a wise crack.

The next model after the one you're talking about is what creatived a BUZZ! These 2 and 4 socket boards end up with Processors that feature 8 cores per die! You end up with 16 and 32 core respectively. This is why of all people, SUN just signed a big with Intel. That's why Apple grew from 3.2% to 5.1% and etc.......

No.The terminology is this : S/P = socket/processor count and n way = n cores.
You're asking if you can build a 4S 16 way server with Cloverton 53xx CPUs.The answer is no.

3xxx series are for 1S servers , 5xxx for 2S and 7xxx for >=4S.
Tigerton will be the Quad-Core version of Cloverton for MP servers ( >=4S ) and is expected to be released this summer.

The majority of blade servers use DP or 2S systems , so you're perfectly fine with Xeon 53xx series.If you want large single image servers the only option right now is Xeon 7xxx or Itanium 2 based ones.But I doubt that is what you're looking for.

Back