Xeon E5 + X99 System Customer Screwup

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
UPDATE: Can't get board to roll over and start no matter what I tried. Tried different RAM, different power supply. Going to try to find out if anyone locally has a X99 board I could borrow, which is about not happening around here.

Got a system in a few days ago from a customer. System stopped working after a massive thunderstorm. He pulled parts out and it still wasn't working. He gave up and just gave me the system. I just got to it and took the water cooling off of the CPU and was greeted with this (I lifted the retention arms before noticing). Seems he did in fact mess with the CPU...

e46502d3-ad42-4c0a-b552-772e6816a94b-original.png

I shook my head pretty hard. I did not notice any bent pin pads in the socket so I am going to put 'er back in properly and see if she fires up. Mobo is a AsRock X99 WS with 8x4 GB of DDR4-3000. No video/storage was left in it. Oh it also had a Intel Xeon Phi 5110P Coprocessor card in it. No idea if it's toast or not. (Anyone want it? LOL) I did a visual check of the board and did not notice anything popped/scorched/burned. Keeping my hopes up that it all fires back up.

Last edited:
Back