XL2370 flawless!

j0j081

Gawd
Hey everyone, after waiting a long time I got the Samsung XL2370 for my Christmas present. I have to say compared to the previous tn panels I've owned this display is perfect. 100% uniformity, no backlight bleed at all, vibrant colors and deep blacks, the only real downside is of course the viewing angles but I only use it at my desk directly in front anyway. Oh for this price they could have made the stand a bit nicer but that doesn't matter to me all that much either.

My only two questions on it so far, perhaps other owners could advise me are

-In the settings you can set the response time, the default is faster the other two options are fastest and normal. What exactly do these do and should I have it on fastest all the time? The manual only recommends it for movies.

-Anyone have some calibrations tips? I know you are meant to adjust pretty much any display but I have a hard time judging for myself what is best. I am on Win 7 I know that has a calibration feature is that the best to use or would magic tune be better?

I don't remember where, but i remember seeing a very extensive review on this monitor that would probably answer most of your questions. If i have some time, i'll google a little later.

X-bit Labs had a review and they found the monitor to be, well, utter garbage.

Depends on what you mean by "positive" :) Slow response time, some nasty RTC errors, bad brightness uniformity, and a blue gamma curve out of whack. And it's a TN, on top of everything. I'm not very impressed.

From the article:

"Every model from the new Samsung Touch of Color series leaves a highly positive impression with their beautiful exterior, good ergonomics and neat setup..."

Of course, they did say it was a TN panel, so obviously it will make your house implode like the scene in Poltergeist...

Depends on what you mean by "positive" :) Slow response time, some nasty RTC errors, bad brightness uniformity, and a blue gamma curve out of whack. And it's a TN, on top of everything. I'm not very impressed.

Don't know what the heck you are talking about. Did you read the review at all?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/samsung-touchofcolor2_12.html#sect0

As I said in my first post I am well aware it is a TN panel. Other reviews of it on cnet and digital versus say it is quite good as well, not as impressive as it was hyped to be but hype is hype.

http://www.digitalversus.com/article-357-6587-36.html

I want to buy this monitor but I'm a gamer and my brother tells me I'd be stupid to get this and not a 120Hz monitor. Regardless of response time, the 60Hz makes movement blur in comparison to CRTs and the 120Hz brings them closer together. I'm not interested in the 3D tech its pedaling. I've been using a 1280x1024 30ms IPS monitor for years and I want a fast widescreen gaming monitor instead.

Upsides to XL2370: Cheaper of the two, bright, thin, fast Good(but not optimal) 1080 res
Downside: Not 120hz

Upsides to Viewsonic/Samsung 120Hz counterpart: Very little blurring
downsides: 1050res, more expensive, not as good color or brightness uniformity

Thoughts?

Last edited:
My last LCD was an 19in LG around 3 years old. I saw no problem with my FPS no blur no nothing. I now have the xl2370 and it looks great. I see nothing wrong with any games I play.

Is 120hz really needed? Who knows but in my eyes I don't see any problems with 60hz

You have received the correct answer.
As you pop up with "flawless!!!", people have to remind you that this is a regular cheap TN monitor full of major and minor flaws.

BTW XL2370 thread already exists: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1434489
Please keep this forum clean.

This forum doesn't look very clean to me. It is obvious by my post I know it is a cheap TN panel so by flawless I mean it is great for what it is.

From the article:

"Every model from the new Samsung Touch of Color series leaves a highly positive impression with their beautiful exterior, good ergonomics and neat setup..."

Of course, they did say it was a TN panel, so obviously it will make your house implode like the scene in Poltergeist...

That is referring to the bezel/stand, not picture quality...

The digitalversus review is positive, though. They mainly focus on response time and out of the box greyscale accuracy, and their response time comparisons are easier to interpret than xbit's, though of course not nearly as detailed.

Back