XP Pro's Install BSODing with 0x0000007b

E.T

Gawd
Any of you have any tricks for solving STOP 0x0000007b BSOD?

I thought to do clean install of XP Pro to go along Win7 64bit in case of problems with old games. I intended to put it into fast RAID10 array of 3ware so naturally I "nLited" required driver into XP disc (along with ICH's drivers while at it) and installation program find array correctly and all goes well until installation files have been copied and PC restarts for final setup which aöways results that same BSOD with exactly same error always...
After further updated and tweaked SP3 disc I've tried it with just SP3 and SP2 discs with driver integrated and also tried changing BIOS settings, disabling various controllers and even removing some devices mentioned in some posts regarding this same error and nothing changes the slightest detail of error.

That's while at the same time installation of Win7 went smoothly and it works perfectly from RAID array like also all hardware does in everything I've tried in Win7!
So hardware fault can be in practise excluded.
Also if I connect one drive to motherboad then installation goes fine regardless are ICH's ports in IDE mode or driver requiring AHCI mode so looks like XP is just screwing it up for some reason and not wanting to boot from 3ware.

Have you tried just doing F6 drivers as normal. nLiting ahci/raid drivers do not always work. I've found some times that Windows will also ask for an additional controller/manager driver even after the F6 process is fully loaded. Also, some of the newer boards have ahci/raid drivers than can be nlited but are not designed for "F6"ed/booted to during XP installation. Unless it specifically says F6 boot driver, there's a good chance that it can not be used in that way. If you had to extract an .exe to get to the driver, this is likely the case. F6/boot AHCI drivers for XP that can be used that way will come as simply the driver file itself.

In the event that you do manage to make it into Windows XP doing this, try reinstalling the AHCI/RAID driver package with the whole installer. I've had that clean up issues with F6ing drivers not designed to be used that way.

I'm sure you have your reasons for running an ancient OS in the first place, so.... Just try using a vanilla XP SP3 disk- and then do the F6 thing as suggested.
IE, run the install as it was intended to be run, I bet you won't have issues after that :D

Unless it specifically says F6 boot driver, there's a good chance that it can not be used in that way..
Boot/text mode drivers have txtsetup.oem file as good identifier.
But looks like driver somehow won't work as integrated or nLite messes in something (although it works during text mode setup) because with floppy installation proceeds to graphical setup after restart.

an ancient OS in the first place
Only ancient thing in it is NT4's floppy obsessed installer.
(at least don't say something 9 years old as ancient if you're at the same time using over 100 years old basic design vehicle running on few hundred million years old fuel)

Bugcheck 0x7B is windows couldn't find the boot drive. (Usually due to the lack of a proper Mass Storage controller driver.)

As others have said, does it work without Nlite?

As to the complaints about text mode setup and how the installer works, all I can say is at the time it was the only solution. ;)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Only ancient thing in it is NT4's floppy obsessed installer.
(at least don't say something 9 years old as ancient if you're at the same time using over 100 years old basic design vehicle running on few hundred million years old fuel)

Because inanimate objects which can be bent however a developer wishes are directly comparable to physical engineering and its limitations :rolleyes:

Back