you wanna see super super super small

i dont know, but i think it would be badass to cutomebuild your own palm piolet

Shouldn't this be in the intel section? Since it does use an intel processor? And I wonder if you could play Starcraft on that thing. :p

on a sidenote: Intel either just sold is X-scale business, or they are writing if off.

Their Via-based board is here. It'll run dual head SXGA.

Thing is, they're really expensive. Evaluation boards are $1600 for that XScale board and $1700 for the iVCF.

munkle said:
Shouldn't this be in the intel section? Since it does use an intel processor? And I wonder if you could play Starcraft on that thing. :p

man, mobile starcraft, hell yeah

Is totally awesome!

resolution up to 1280 x 1024 x 16, dedicated 8 MB frame buffer, MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 decoders @30 fps.

DIY PMP anyone?

Umm... Where can we buy these tho!

98EXL said:
PMP? WTF is that?

Personal Media Player.

The XScale is an ARM chip. Meaning, no x86 on this shiznit.
Marvell now owns XScale. You may know Marvell from the Yukon Gigabit Ethernet controllers found on DFI boards and some other brands (I think ASUS.)

robberbaron said:
Personal Media Player.

The XScale is an ARM chip. Meaning, no x86 on this shiznit.
Marvell now owns XScale. You may know Marvell from the Yukon Gigabit Ethernet controllers found on DFI boards and some other brands (I think ASUS.)

Yeah marvell just bought that whole section off of intel, my msi board has a PCIe gigabit yukon controller also

yea techinacally these things hsould be in the intel forum, but i figer there is actually an interest in this part of the forum.

also in regard to ARm and x86. some of the x scale arm prossesors are x86. and DIY portable starecraft/pmp ftw

lozaning said:
yea techinacally these things hsould be in the intel forum,
Why's that?
lozaning said:
also in regard to ARm and x86. some of the x scale arm prossesors are x86. and DIY portable starecraft/pmp ftw
What StrongARM processors are x86-compatible?

specs for CM-X270

CPU Mfg & Type: Intel PXA270
Instruction Set: ARM
O/S Support: Linux Win CE

wouldnt it have to support x-86 to run windows, or is this a misunderstanding on my part?

and for the second time pmp is a personal media player

lozaning said:
wouldnt it have to support x-86 to run windows, or is this a misunderstanding on my part?

It's running Windows CE, which runs on the ARM and a variety of other processors.

well then my fault for jumping to conclusions, although they do have a bigger one that runs a p2 or 3.

Arcygenical said:
Where do we buy these!
At the website linked in the OP. They're very expensive (compared to simlarly capable hardware of the normal size).

THESE THINGS ARE NOT EXPENSIVE they are actually very cheap, the 1,600 dollar thing is the thing that compainies buy if they need profesionle level tech support.
you can buy on of these things for around 110 us dollars

lozaning said:
you can buy on of these things for around 110 us dollars
Hey, good catch. That's much more sensible. The site only quotes lots of 1000 units -- where are single unit quantities sold?

I'll have to play with the config on one of these.

Err, the lowest I can get one in single unit quanties is $130 on there config page. Where are you getting $110?

BTW, what's the difference between P/N: CM-X270L-D16-F1-C312 and CM-X270W-D16-F1-C312?

Answering my own question:
"WLAN / WiFi Interface(available only in X270L)" "MPEG & Extended Graphics (available only in X270W)" So, you have to choose between intergrated Wifi or higher end graphics options it seems.

Also, where can one get CAMI connectors as a hobbyist in the right sizes for this?

munkle said:

I don't know my old pc at 350mhz used to lag in starcarft. lol

hapexamendios said:
whats the point again?

Of the board? It's a really, really, small embedded platform with a fair amount of processing power.

I was thinking about these when I was at school today studying for my calculus 3 final, which is tomorrow. I was dreaming about modding one into a TI-83 or something similar calculator case so I could type out example problems with steps to solve them, and view them on the calculator.

Might be a cool projec to make this into a carputer... USB harddrive and all. Might be fun for somebody with cash to burn... rather than a 7950GX2

ok.

who will be the first to make a tiny lcd in a pair of sunglasses and get a mobile computer going?

Sgraffite said:
I was thinking about these when I was at school today studying for my calculus 3 final, which is tomorrow. I was dreaming about modding one into a TI-83 or something similar calculator case so I could type out example problems with steps to solve them, and view them on the calculator.

Why go through all the trouble? You can do that in a TI-83 as is...hell the TI-83 will do integration for you too. If you are allowed to use a TI-83 in calc you have no excuse for failing. If you want to get really fancy mod a TI-89 to look like a TI-83, since the 89 will give you abstract answers to most integration.

Alright, lets start up a list of who's interested. We'll shoot for the 1000 unit discount. Email me at [email protected].

Anyone know off of the top of their head what Linux distro will run on this?

Back