Zotac cards?

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
So I just plonked down $385 for a GTX 770 all dressed up in Zotac clothes... it will be replacing the Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II that's in the rig in my sig. Pretty stoked about it! :D

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with Zotac branded cards, their cooling solutions, and their customer service? Up until a few years ago I had barely even heard of Zotac and now it seems they are a major player on Team Green, even coming up with custom PCBs and custom non-reference cooling solutions.

I really wanted to grab the Asus DirectCU II version of the 770, but I just couldn't resist the fact that the Zotac is currently $15 less and had free shipping.

Currently trying to decide whether to move the GTX 660 to the HTPC in the living room and sell off the GTX 560 that's in it, or just leave the HTPC alone.... hmmm.... decisions, decisions. :D

Last edited:
So I just plonked down $385 for a GTX 770 all dressed up in Zotac clothes... it will be replacing the Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II that's in the rig in my sig. Pretty stoked about it! :D

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with Zotac branded cards, their cooling solutions, and their customer service? Up until a few years ago I had barely even heard of Zotac and now it seems they are a major player on Team Green, even coming up with custom PCBs and custom non-reference cooling solutions.

I really wanted to grab the Asus DirectCU II version of the 770, but I just couldn't resist the fact that the Zotac 'AMP Edition' is currently $15 less and had free shipping.

Currently trying to decide whether to move the GTX 660 to the HTPC in the living room and sell off the GTX 560 that's in it, or just leave the HTPC alone.... hmmm.... decisions, decisions. :D

You made the right choice. Zotac AMPs are binned chips. Thing will boost WAY above the specs it says. Had a AMP 670 that boosted to 1293mhz stock and clocked to somewhere around 1350mhz and 7200mhz memory. I did have to remove heatsink tho and ad a washer to each screw and change thermal paste because cooler wasnt making good contact. I knew this because I could put the fan faster and faster and temps wouldnt drop at all. This was a glitch with the old cooler tho I believe they have fixed the issue with the new AMP cards.

Zotac was started by the same parent company as Sapphire, PC Partners. It was obviously created so that PC Partners could get a slice of the Nvidia pie without loosing Sapphire's premier partner status with AMD. So Zotac definitely has the financial backing but similar to any computer parts company, RMA is hit or missing depending on who you ask.

Zotac makes some good stuff. Their Amp Edition cards are usually clocked very high and priced extremely competitively. I've also heard good things about their customer/RMA service.

Actually I had to make a small edit, apparently the card I bought isn't the 'AMP' edition, but hell it looks exactly the same in every way. I'm sure it's just a BIOS edit apart...

Me being me I'll probably end up flashing the Amp edition BIOS onto the card once I'm sure it's capable of running at those speeds.

I also just noticed that I get a coupon for a free copy of Batman: Arkham Origins AND the Splinter Cell 3-game compilation. Sweet! :)

Last edited:
Had a GTX 285 AMP for the better part of 4 years. Aside from the 285 specific coil whine i have nothing to complain about :)

Its not the same thing. The AMP is binned. Meaning a great over clocking chip. The fact they do this makes it a lot less likely to get a good clocking chip when u buy the regular version.

Me being me I'll probably end up flashing the Amp edition BIOS onto the card once I'm sure it's capable of running at those speeds.

How did your flash go? I tried it earlier today on mine and it worked, no problem. It appears to be the same PCB/components as the AMP.

How did your flash go? I tried it earlier today on mine and it worked, no problem. It appears to be the same PCB/components as the AMP.

Went just fine... it's a kickass card!

I haven't tried OCing it much past the AMP! clocks, largely because EVGA Precision has got the stupidest fucking interface I've ever seen.

Back