Immortals of Aveum

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Powered by Unreal Engine 5 (it'll likely be the first game outside of Epic's Unreal Fortnite to be released with that technology), it offers stunning graphics and a fresh take on the shooter genre...Ascendant Studios was founded five years ago by industry veterans who worked on triple-A games like BioShock, Call of Duty, Halo, and many more

The studio also hired some big acting talent including Gina Torres as General Kirkan...coming July 20th, for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series S|X...

Immortals of Aveum Q&A

Q: Usually, games set in fantasy settings tend to have more or less deep RPG systems. Where does Immortals of Aveum stand in this regard? Is there a lot of RPG-like progression?

We obviously set out to make a first-person shooter, but we definitely wanted the player to be able to express their preferred play style. There's a lot of variation in gear that can modify and change the way your abilities work, plus a pretty significant skill tree that lets players focus on different paths of magic and unlock different abilities that affect their play style

We certainly want to lean into giving players the ability to steer how their build plays versus other options and try different things on for size in a way that certainly relates to RPG customization but feels like a natural fit for a first-person shooter...

https://wccftech.com/immortals-of-a...express-their-preferred-battlemage-playstyle/

A single player AAA game? Say it ain't so. Looks interesting.

But something fishy is going on in the youtube comments, EA paying shills to post positive comments? There are tons of praising comments that sound so generic they might be written by AI. I hope that's not the case, it would be a shame if such a controversy would overshadow an actually interesting game's reveal.

The Bleeding-Edge Tech Powering Immortals of Aveum

Immortals of Aveum is powered by Unreal Engine 5.1 and makes extensive use of the signature features: Lumen and Nanite...“our texture pool and visual quality floats based on your video card. So if you’re running a 4090, it feels like you’re playing the cinematics. And if upgraded graphics cards or consoles come out with more memory, it’ll be much more straightforward to recompile the game to take advantage of the new power”

"Unreal Engine 5’s method of loading segments of the environment as you move through it. That allows for some truly enormous play areas. “Our levels are huge,” Mark says. “We have a big variety of level sizes—some that are large and open-ended and others that are more focused. A couple of our levels are the equivalent of 25 or 30 kilometers in length! That’s just the playable space!"

https://www.ea.com/games/immortals-of-aveum/immortals-of-aveum/news/ioa-unreal-5

Immortals of Aveum is powered by Unreal Engine 5.1 and makes extensive use of the signature features: Lumen and Nanite...“our texture pool and visual quality floats based on your video card. So if you’re running a 4090, it feels like you’re playing the cinematics. And if upgraded graphics cards or consoles come out with more memory, it’ll be much more straightforward to recompile the game to take advantage of the new power”

"Unreal Engine 5’s method of loading segments of the environment as you move through it. That allows for some truly enormous play areas. “Our levels are huge,” Mark says. “We have a big variety of level sizes—some that are large and open-ended and others that are more focused. A couple of our levels are the equivalent of 25 or 30 kilometers in length! That’s just the playable space!"

https://www.ea.com/games/immortals-of-aveum/immortals-of-aveum/news/ioa-unreal-5

FuPZ92OakAMLf9U?format=png&name=large.png

I like how they are pushing the minimum specs. Pretty ambitious!

Got damn! Yeah we are having our Crisis moment over and over here recently it seems. Its actually pretty cool to see some envelope pushing here. But holy shit those minimum requirements are mid range or better to a lot of people.

It feels like a 4090 should be absolute minimum for all games going forward.
I would agree that if someone wants to stay on the high end then either swap GPUs every year or just yolo on the 4090 or 7900xtx and maybe go 2 years... Yikes.

Unfortunately the "gameplay" trailer contains no gameplay, which is par for the course. Also, look on those man-guns on that chick. Nothing wrong with a muscular woman, but real muscular women don't get arms like that.

You ever see a female body builder? Gotta say, even with all of the talk it really doesn't look better than any other modern game. Feels like the grass is worse than Horizon Zero Dawn.
It feels like a 4090 should be absolute minimum for all games going forward.
Literally thousands of games would sell.

while the graphics look good, I was expecting a bigger jump in quality with UE 5.1 especially since the game uses both Lumen and Nanite...the lighting and certain textures do look really good in spots but with all that fancy new tech I was expecting to be blown away...even the 'Environments' tech video doesn't look all that different to some of the best current games on the market that don't use UE 5.1 (maybe the YouTube compression is at fault)

Last edited:
I like how they are pushing the minimum specs. Pretty ambitious!

they're pushing the minimum specs but I was expecting a bigger range from Minimum GPU (Nvidia) to Recommended (Nvidia)...going from a 2080 Super to a 3080Ti isn't that big of a jump...the Recommended spec should have at least been a 4080

I also felt the same as Skill Up when watching the trailers...it looks flashy with some nice UE 5.1 lighting and particle effects but the environments and enemy design look pretty bland...it doesn't look like a next gen UE5 game to me...the cutscenes look much better than the actual gameplay...the big UE5 features such as Lumen and Nanite etc are all in the game but if I hadn't known this was UE5 I would have thought it was another UE4 game

I have no industry facts or intuition to back this up but something tells me this game is going to flop

I don't think Cod players or really anyone else are gonna be interested in playing a fast-paced 1stperson magic themed shooter

Immortals of Aveum Delayed One Month for Extra Polish

The new release date is Tuesday, August 22nd, nearly a month after the original Thursday, July 20th launch date...this puts Immortals of Aveum against much tougher competition, such as From Software's Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (August 25th), Baldur's Gate III (August 31st), and Starfield (September 6th, though early access begins on September 1st)...granted, these are all largely different types of games, but they are long-awaited releases from globally acclaimed game developers, unlike Ascendant's Immortals of Aveum...

https://ascendantstudios.com/2023/06/20/a-message-from-bret-and-our-team/

Why does this game look so crappy?
Because it looks like a reskin of Destiny with a fantasy/low-grade steampunk setting. We've also seen all these same in-game cutscenes a thousand times before where someone gets blasted off a ship of some sort and they reach over just in time to grab a rail as every molecule combusts around them. The FPS genre is stale and generic as hell.

The Devs worked at home and hugged their stuffed animals instead..
EA didn't have to publish this. They could have just been like us and said "nah, that looks like shit" and you never would have seen this game get developed or, at the very least, made into this, but they saw a profit in it so here we are.

It seems odd that people are so quick to forget that this is an absolutely massive industry now, worth $300-500 billion, and a team working from home is very obviously not the problem here. This year should have been a wake-up call to see the consistent impacts of an industry far too comfortable in sending rushed, incomplete & uninspired shit out the door to a market that will seemingly buy anything you put in front of them.

for an Unreal 5.2 title with Lumen and Nanite I'm not seeing the graphical fidelity...even Remnant 2's Nanite implementation looks better as does Layers of Fear's Lumen

The Devs worked at home and hugged their stuffed animals instead..
Lol, a ton of great software is made from companies with people who work from home. ORI 2 was all made from people who wfh all over the world. For software, it's arguably superior. I think the game looks fun for 30 bucks a year from now. With BG3 and Starfield on the way this thing is going to die.

Back