Go for Google

Celerator

[H]ard|Gawd
If you check this link http://fahstats.com/tr.php?t=33
you will note that, as of now (1/23/2006 6:00pm pst),
the [H]orde are predicted to pass Google in 1002 days (October 22, 2008).

The [H]orde can fold proteins better than that. Let's go for Google as we leave the Aussies in our wake.

Fold, borg, and recruit for [H]umanity!

Well google did stop supporting the project via its toolbar and told users to use the client from Stanford instead...so they're not really a team now.

Let's go for "default" :D :cool:

Haha there are so many people folding for default...and for the user "anonymous," it's a really high number of points...haha. But yeah, google sure does have a lot of points.

hehe, looks like another one of those threads... let the countdown begin! ! !

its nice to see another person from B.C. on the forum Cellerator :D

this would be a cool title to add to our victories, we beat google...even if they aren't a real team anymore, we should beat them before the aussies do! it should be more incentive to stay farther ahead of OCAU!

Yes!! We need to take down the mighty Google! I don't think Google has ever really been beaten at anything they've been involved in since they were founded (it must be all those awesome chickens they have working for them). Its time to kick them down a notch!

Wait, so, Google is #1? I thought we were in the #1 position? I'm confused...

Full Folding Ahead!

tsuehpsyde said:
Wait, so, Google is #1? I thought we were in the #1 position? I'm confused...

We both are #1, but Google is an aggregate team (one of two), we're a regular team.

tdg said:
We both are #1, but Google is an aggregate team (one of two), we're a regular team.

What's the difference between the two?

Full Folding Ahead!

Aggregate teams are teams made up of people who don't know they're folding for the aggregate teams. Google Compute is such an example, along with team 0 (default). I think Stanford doesn't think it's fair to have "real" teams like ours and OCAU's competing against all the people who forgot to specify a team number and all of the people who used the Google Toolbar.

960 days...geez. But we will get there. And those 960 days will go down when more comps get online and more dual cores get used. We will do it!

Well it's only 3 years out.... I think we'll get em, and if we keep borging like we have been, we'll get there even faster. :D

Maniacmous said:
(it must be all those awesome chickens they have working for them).
Isn't it Pidgeons that work for them?

This link provides a "Radar" status view from the Google "team" perspective.
It shows Google as ranking zero, the [H]orde as numero uno, and Overclockers Australia, and Overclockers.com "in pursuit." :rolleyes:
The view allows one to keep an eye on a worthy target to the front, and to scan the rearview mirror for, dare I say it, threats. :eek: :p

You might note (above) that:

3 days ago we were predicted to overtake Google in 1002 days,
2 days ago we were predicted to overtake Google in 998 days,
1 day ago we were predicted to overtake Google in 980 days,
and today we are predicted to surpass Google in 938 days. :D
p[H]ant0m proclaimed: I think we'll get em, and if we keep borging like we have been, we'll get there even faster.

Do as p[H]ant0m says...

174,282,200 and now an estimated 942 days to intercept.

It appears that our rate of gain on Google has diminished.
Recruit, borg, and fold for [H]unanity!!!

It's these stupid small-point WUs that are killing my ppd. I'm getting 65-ish ppd on my home box when I can get easily two and a half times that on a 600-pointer. :(

Mononri lamented:
It's these stupid small-point WUs that are killing my ppd.

Indeed. I checked on my farm today and most boxen were folding the same Tinker for low ppd. Time to borg!

Celerator said:
Indeed. I checked on my farm today and most boxen were folding the same Tinker for low ppd. Time to borg!

Hell, I'm happy to get a Tinker. Then again, I'm mostly runnning AMD and PIII Intel boxen so Tinkers are the best PPD for them outside of the 600 and 364 pointers. At least I managed to grab an Amber on my P4 work rig. Went from 148 PPD to around 171 PPD. Running a second instance with timeless tinkers helps a bit in the PPD category for this P4.

SmokeRngs wrote:
Hell, I'm happy to get a Tinker.

My home boxen is an AMD 2600+, and it seems to like Gromacs.
On the "farm," I have a wild combination of Intel boxen from a couple
of P2's to mostly P4's. I haven't got EM3 set up to read the whole farm,
but with two exceptions they are doing Tinkers. One is chewing on a
double Gromacs (Yum).

As for the Google overtake, a mere 174,136,990 points separate us today,
with an estimated intersect in 938 days. We seem to be slowly losing our PPD advantage.

Celerator said:
My home boxen is an AMD 2600+, and it seems to like Gromacs.
On the "farm," I have a wild combination of Intel boxen from a couple
of P2's to mostly P4's. I haven't got EM3 set up to read the whole farm,
but with two exceptions they are doing Tinkers. One is chewing on a
double Gromacs (Yum).

As for the Google overtake, a mere 174,136,990 points separate us today,
with an estimated intersect in 938 days. We seem to be slowly losing our PPD advantage.

I have still found that I can pull more PPD on all my AMD and PIII boxen with timeless tinkers than I can do with Gromacs or Ambers. Ambers do come much closer to the PPD that Tinkers put out but don't beat it. I can't speak for my PII's but I'm sure they work better on Tinkers since they don't have SSE. I guess it really doesn't matter as I don't have the dually PII's running at the moment anyway. Just not enough hardware to go around. I'd need another case, some more RAM and another NIC.

I'm not surprised that the overtake on Google has slowed down. A lot of our people run QMD's normally (including me on one box) and it's been a large drop in production. With just the one box, it has caused me to drop 200+ PPD alone.

I guess I really need to get that other box I was given up and running. I'm hoping the mobo will run PIII's as the spare PIII 500 I have will run a bit faster than the Celeron 300 it came with.

SmokeRngs said:
I have still found that I can pull more PPD on all my AMD and PIII boxen with timeless tinkers than I can do with Gromacs or Ambers. Ambers do come much closer to the PPD that Tinkers put out but don't beat it. I can't speak for my PII's but I'm sure they work better on Tinkers since they don't have SSE. I guess it really doesn't matter as I don't have the dually PII's running at the moment anyway. Just not enough hardware to go around. I'd need another case, some more RAM and another NIC.

I'm not surprised that the overtake on Google has slowed down. A lot of our people run QMD's normally (including me on one box) and it's been a large drop in production. With just the one box, it has caused me to drop 200+ PPD alone.

I guess I really need to get that other box I was given up and running. I'm hoping the mobo will run PIII's as the spare PIII 500 I have will run a bit faster than the Celeron 300 it came with.

Yeah the lack of QMD's and pulling more small gromacs is hurting my PPD too. Last night All 4 cores, 2x opty170, XP-M, and P4 were crunching either 56 pointers or 116 pointers. EMIII told me I was getting 378 PPD when these machines are usually averaging close to 1000. It hurts all the teams though.

We'll get them eventually though. We just gotta make sure that the aussies don't catch us first!

poddo wrote:
We'll get them eventually though. We just gotta make sure that the aussies don't catch us first!

Of course, as we know, things do change. :eek:
But, as of now, we should pass Google before those folding Aussies do, and before they catch us.

173,399,480 and an estimate 1084 days to intercept.

We are gaining on Google, point-wise, but our ETA to passing them is lengthening. :confused:

Recruit, borg, and fold for [H]umanity!

172,680,410 to go, and an estimated 840 days to intercept.

Keep on folding...

I wondered where this thread went. Glad to see we've cut it down some, those double gromacs are helping us out I think. I doubt the google setup has adv methods flag set.

Back