VERY Disapointed at EVGA 7900GT KO 512MB

XLeezardx

[H]ardChef
I recently built a new budget PC for gaming. Here is my rig with all latest drivers installed.

AMD X2 4200+
2GB Cosair XMS PC3200 Dual Channel
A8N-SLI Mainboard
EVGA 7900GT KO 512MB
Antec Truepower 550watt
Sound Blaster X-fi
LG 204WT 20.1 widscreen LCD

I bought the games F.E.A.R and Oblivian last night to try on my new system. Not quite the performance I expected and i am very disapointed. Heres the outcome of each game.

F.E.A.R
Full graphics settings to the max on 1600x900, the game gets and average of 52fps and sometimes dips down to 25fps minimal according to the video performance test. The game does not run smoothly at all while playing and really hurts my eyes. There is no hiccups or shuttering, but when you move your mouse around while looking at the walls, its not smooth. When set down to lower resolution, some graphics set to medium and some effects like AA off, its smoother.

Oblivian
Now, with full graphics settings in 1680x1050, the game is a tiny bit choppy when moving around. Same effect as in FEAR, not smooth at all and hurts my eyes.

Is it my Video card? Shoudl I have gotten a ATI X1900XTX ot 7900GTX? Is there certain settings i need to do?

Budget!? That's a pretty powerfull PC to be a "budget" system. ;)

What drivers are installed? "Latest" can mean anything these days.

i think you are expecting too much out of that card for the games your playing at such high resolutions...

I think you're expecting way too much out of that card, or any card. Oblivion at that resolution should look like a slideshow, at least outdoors -- I'm surprised you can play at all. To game at that resolution in Oblivion you better start looking into some SLI.

Dude, it takes Dual X1900s or Quad-SLI to play Oblivion like you are trying to! Scale back a bit dude, you're expecting waaay too much out of a $250 card.

I agree with the guys saying you expect too much..I had a single 7900GT KO Superclock and tried FEAR @1200X1600 and it was playable but had some choppiness and slowdowns...now that I've gone SLI things are much better. My specs:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
A64 X2 4400+ @2.8
2x 1BG OCZ Platinum DDR400 (2-3-2-5)
2x EVGA 7900GT KO Superclock SLI (each card 580/1580)
2x 160GB Seagate sata (no raid)
SB Audigy2

HAHAHAHA I thought I had a messed up Video card. I guess a X1900XTX would be the same result eh? Ill prolly just order another 7900GT 512 to run SLI. Should I overclock my CPU and Video card? Thansk Alot guys! All i wanna do is play my games on 1680x1050 smoothly.

Faction said:
i think you are expecting too much out of that card for the games your playing at such high resolutions...
I have to agree with Faction. It's like saying your Prius won't go 200mp/h. :rolleyes:

wee96 said:
Yea your wanting SLI results, so good plan.
Well Sorry lol, I never had a $350 video card before and after reading about all of these Video card debates/wars I had the wrong impressions. I mean, people saying how BAD ASS the 7900GT is, how BAD ASS the X1900XT is, how BAD ASS 512 of video card memory is, kinda made me expect alot, i mean afterall, I am playing on a 20 inch, not 24 or 30 inch LCD.

Video Cards are truley OVERATED!

XLeezardx said:
HAHAHAHA I thought I had a messed up Video card. I guess a X1900XTX would be the same result eh? Ill prolly just order another 7900GT 512 to run SLI. Should I overclock my CPU and Video card? Thansk Alot guys! All i wanna do is play my games on 1680x1050 smoothly.
That would do the trick..

A 7900GT 512 is no 7900GTX either...but even one 7900GTX can handle FEAR relatively well up to 1600x1200. Call it wasteful, but my SLI never goes above 1280x1024 because that's the largest monitor I have and I do not have the money or space to get a larger one... :( Of course all games SCREAM at maximum settings even with 8xSAA/16xAF. Even Far Cry is playable at these settings on ONE CARD.

No, they are badass, your just thinking in sli terms. For single gpu, they are quite fast.

R1ckCa1n said:
Not when you have the right video card(s) for the games you want to play. ;)

What is the right card? Im so pissed off at this pos Video I might just return it or chunk it in the trash. What card do I need to play Maximum grapahics settings on a 1680x1050 Resolution without a hickup?

I can play Half-Life2 and Battlefield 2 at full settings, there old games though.

I don't think you're going to be able to play Oblivion full settings smoothly with any combination of cards out today.

XLeezardx said:
What is the right card? Im so pissed off at this pos Video I might just return it or chunk it in the trash. What card do I need to play Maximum grapahics settings on a 1680x1050 Resolution without a hickup?

I can play Half-Life2 and Battlefield 2 at full settings, there old games though.
The truth is, there is no video card solution out right now that can play Oblivion smoothly at 16x10 with max settings. Not even dual 7950GX2s can do it justice.

XLeezardx said:

Send it my way if it's that big a POS, I'd gladly take care of it for you. :)

My new build is similar to yours. I'm not really getting the results I expected either. Maybe I had high hopes. In FEAR with everyhtign turnd up all the way on the performance test I get...

FPS:
Minimum: 19
Average: 31
Maximum: 59

FPS Distribution:
18% below 25 FPS
62% between 25 and 40 FPS
20% above 40 FPS

you guys make me want to buy 2 7950's for quad SLI...but 200 bones for water blocks alone, and I still won't have DX10 support, I think I'll jsut turn my detail down a bit for now.

AudioCow said:
My new build is similar to yours. I'm not really getting the results I expected either. Maybe I had high hopes. In FEAR with everyhtign turnd up all the way on the performance test I get...

FPS:
Minimum: 19
Average: 31
Maximum: 59

FPS Distribution:
18% below 25 FPS
62% between 25 and 40 FPS
20% above 40 FPS

What settings do you find the best to play FEAR on?

Can't answer for oblivion but for fear try installing the latest upgrade patch and if you're using an x-fi make sure you are in "game" mode.

With my 7900gt 256mb Fear was playing @ around 70-80 fps and ran in the 30-40's in oblivion.

MrSneis said:
Can't answer for oblivion but for fear try installing the latest upgrade patch and if you're using an x-fi make sure you are in "game" mode.

With my 7900gt 256mb Fear was playing @ around 70-80 fps and ran in the 30-40's in oblivion.
What resolution were you playing at?

Even for a 7900GTX running at that resolution will be choppy...

You do realize that in oblivion your card is rendering almost

52 920 000px per SECOND

Of straight colour fill. Factor in shading, HDR and some AS filtering and you have one hell of a difficult job. I honestly feel SORRY for your GPU if you're expecting that much out of it :D.

No, in all honesty to play at great speeds with that resolution look for some SLI action, dual GT's or maybe a pair of GTX's.

NO SINGLE CARD WILL PERFORM THAT WELL. ESPECIALLY NOT RADEON'S HIGHEST OFFERING.

XLeezardx said:
What settings do you find the best to play FEAR on?

I leave the settings maxed out. I beat the game before the upgrade. My roomate plays it often with these frames and never complains.

My 3dmark '01 score hovers around 25k and '05 around 8.3k. Once again I was expecting more. From my current build. But I've uninstalled and reinstalled windows, drivers, hot fixes, etc. This is all I can obtain.

That is... honestly, pretty normal. I score just about 7900 in 3Dmark05 with my 7800gt... Even stock I was scoring almost 7500... but that's with a very heavy CPU OC, with good Ram at tight timings.

WOW, Overclocking worked! It improved my games quite a bit.

Heres what I did and am running now
AMD 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.4 with 220mhz Stock Heatsink Fan
7900GT KO 512MB @ 590/1648 Stock Heatsink Fan

3DMark 2006 Results

Stock
CPU 2.2 @ 39C
GPU 560/1550 @ 51c
3D score 5237

Overclocked
CPU @ 2.4 @ 48c
GPU @ 590/1648 @ 58
3D score 5615

My games basically improved by a margin. Am i overclocking this safely? Should I go all out and get aftermarket stuff to overclock it higher?

You should get a 7950 it does VERYYY well on high everything on Fear, and avgs like 40fps on Oblivion high everything.

as for a 7900GT I don't know who hyped you up but I could have told you, if you don't get top of the line, don't expect top of the line performance.

Grab another 7900GT and SLI them.

7950 Hits 14k on 3DMark05, big difference from your 8k

Justintoxicated said:
Ahhh...and people wonder why I keep my 22inch CRT :)

*mumbles something about a small desk* i swear when i get space again to set up my 5' deep corner desk (its an 8x8 not including corner peice ... man its massive) i cant wait to go back to CRT.

If you can find one. I dread the day my CPD-G500 dies on me. I love that 70-pound beast.

They may technically not be top of the line cards, but underneath it all they ARE the same as gtx and 7950's.. eVGA card+cooler swap+overclock and you can take a $200-350 card and have the performance of a ~$450 GTX..With the higher line GT's they already run @ 1.45v in 3d mode, so no need to void the warranty and do a paint mod or anything really.

Bottom line, I have to agree with what other have said, you may have expected more than is realistic.. Still, even a bog standard, non-oc'd GT should play damn near every game out at fairly high res, decent eye candy, with the exception of Oblivion of course. Just be thankful you're ABLE TO PLAY it after all..Those of us that have gone though the RMA hell a while back know what I mean (re: Oblivion).

I would consider a cooler swap (it's covered under the warranty after all) - what are your load temps like pre/post o/c? For example my card (pre-Reload RMA/rebadged SS) gets VERY hot - just haven't decided if I want a nice Zalman (or similar) air cooler, or get a WB to add to my loop.

Arcygenical said:
That is... honestly, pretty normal. I score just about 7900 in 3Dmark05 with my 7800gt... Even stock I was scoring almost 7500... but that's with a very heavy CPU OC, with good Ram at tight timings.

A 2.4ghz 4200+ isnt alot of cpu power to be pushing around, and that is why your scores and fps is lower than you think it should be.

With my X1900 All In Wonder(~200$ card)
--42.5k 3d01
--12K+ 3d05

But I run more cpu power than you, and I am running HUGE clocks on core and mems compare to stock.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1085258

Back