Asus P5B-VM Memory Recs?

cyrana

n00b
Anyone have a recommendation for memory to use in the P5B-VM? The pdf says it can do up to 1.95, so that removes a lot of the high volt stuff.

I don't really need to overclock, but I'd at least like stable PC2-6400. :) Was looking at these for the moment:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134066

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145153 (two of them)

Thanks. :)

(oh, zzf link for the board: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247098 )

Good luck. :) I do have some 2.1v memory laying around that I'll at least stick in it and see what it does anyway... But I definitely want some stuff that meets the spec.

Nice, finally these are trickling out. Now if only these idiots wouldn't hobble them with ridiculous BIOS limitations like 1.95v memory. WTH is the rationale behind that?

Why can't someone just release basically a normal 965G/965P ATX board with just a few fewer PCI slots so it's mATX? How hard is it, really?

Whoohoo! I just looked at the board in more detail, that may actually be the perfect board for me. Finally! It even has firewire.

I am no longer worried about memory, look at the qualified vendors list, it supports DDR2-800 and it supports the Micron D9GKX chips, which is what I planned to get anyway (G.Skill HZ branded). I don't care if it only hits exactly DDRII-800 since I don't plan on going over FSB200 anyway (3.6GHz E6600).

Awesome. I don't get my chip for a week or two, maybe reviews will trickle out by then, but it looks like it is exactly what I've been waiting for.

The QVL lists stuff that shows up as 2.1v to me, so maybe the manual is wrong. I'll know tomorrow anyway, so no big deal I guess. ;)

jvrobert said:
Nice, finally these are trickling out. Now if only these idiots wouldn't hobble them with ridiculous BIOS limitations like 1.95v memory. WTH is the rationale behind that?

Why can't someone just release basically a normal 965G/965P ATX board with just a few fewer PCI slots so it's mATX? How hard is it, really?

im waiting for the biostar tforce g965 and the epox g965, both companies are very generous with mATX voltage options.

Dillusion said:
im waiting for the biostar tforce g965 and the epox g965, both companies are very generous with mATX voltage options.
How long are you expecting to wait ?

D-Three said:
Are they f*cking serious?? $145.99 for a board that is almost no better than the Intel board? And I thought Intel was expensive... I think I'm going to wait a bit longer...

its SORTA better. At least you can SORTA overclock

satchi said:
How long are you expecting to wait ?

another week or two.

Dillusion said:
its SORTA better. At least you can SORTA overclock

another week or two.
And they will be out ?!?!? ???! 1111/?!?

or . just .

that's how long you'll wait :eek:

Dillusion said:
Did Epox announce a 965-based mATX board? Because I only found information about Epox mATX boards with 945, 946 and Xpress200 chipsets

D-Three said:
Are they f*cking serious?? $145.99 for a board that is almost no better than the Intel board? And I thought Intel was expensive... I think I'm going to wait a bit longer...

Actually the ASUS board looks 10 times better than the Intel board. All indications are it's got at least some overclocking, and supports at least a little higher memory voltage than 1.8V. It's also got a lot more features, I'm not complaining on the price.

I'm waiting for some overclocking reports, though, and maybe to see if some others come out in 1-2 weeks.

I'll have my board tomorrow, but the only memory I have are 2 1GB sticks of Patriot PC2-6400 , so who knows how that will even go.

But, sometime after 400pm CST US, I can let you know stuff. ;)

Price wasn't a big deal, I mean I can just skimp on lunches w/the guys at work a couple of days...in exchange I get an eSATA port and moderately better OC'ing. Well, we'll see about that anyway.

jvrobert said:
Actually the ASUS board looks 10 times better than the Intel board.
10 times? If you say so :)
It's also got a lot more features, I'm not complaining on the price.
It has got a few more features but not that much more that it should cost $145.99. I don't care about that external SATA port and I prefer 6 USB ports on the back (like the Intel board). But I saw newegg already lowered the price to $132.99 and maybe a bit more if other boards become available.
I'm waiting for some overclocking reports, though, and maybe to see if some others come out in 1-2 weeks.
That's the best choice I think. Good things come to those that wait ;)

CrimandEvil said:
Me too, after that I'm going AM2.

I'm already on AM2, and in no way is it dissapointing. This epox board OC's like a mofo with its voltage options.

Dillusion said:
I'm already on AM2, and in no way is it dissapointing. This epox board OC's like a mofo with its voltage options.
Nice, their 6100 right? I've been thinking of going ATX for SLI (I might want to get two 7900GSes) but that board sounds nice.

Dillusion said:

Remember on AIM I told you about my Tforce problems? All memory related, im on the Epox right now and let me tell ya, you werent shittin ! Very nice board! And it likes my Gskills :D

cyrana said:
The QVL lists stuff that shows up as 2.1v to me, so maybe the manual is wrong. I'll know tomorrow anyway, so no big deal I guess. ;)

And....do you know already?
I'm wondering if PC6400 C5 or even C4 memory will run on the p5b-VM. I've order the board but have yet to decide on the memory.

Hopefully ASUS will raise the overclocking capabilities of this board with a new bios revision. RIght now, it is dissapointing, but it has dropped $15 in price since yesterday.

Well, it won't even -turn on- if I have both of my 1GB sticks of Patriot 2.1v PC2-6400 in it. Boots if I just put one in (work fine in other motherboards).

So, my original question stands. :) Anyone recommend some good 1.8-1.9v memory? The BIOS only allows you to go up to 1.95v for the memory as of the current and only BIOS release.

Looking at:
KVR800D2N5K2/2G Kingston
CT2KIT12864AA80E Crucial (this isn't on their QVL, but it has a lower voltage req. than the Ballistix on theirs, which is like 2.2 and the board can't even do that)

QVL here: http://www.asus.com.tw/999/download/products/1312/1312_10.pdf

I didn't even know about "memory voltages". So in my ignorance I ordered a 2 GB dual channel OCZ PC6400 CL4 mem. "Luckely" for me it was sold out. Only when searching for replacement memory I learned about the P5B-VM limitation (thanks to this thread) and it's probable negative effect on memory. The OCZ memory I initially ordered turns out to require 2.1V..... so good thing I didn't reveive those.

Now I'm looking at G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR (http://gskill.de/product_sp2610.html), CL5, 1.9V-2.0V.

http://www.teamgroup.com.tw/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=263&Itemid=468

I've decided on these . . .
Specifications
CAS............4
TRCD..........4
TRP............4
TRAS..........10
Voltage.......1.95V-2.3V

rated from a lower minimum voltage of 1.95V, meaning it should work with
the Asus and Gigabyte 965 and be ready for an overclocking motherboard from biostar or epox at a later date.
For comparison :
One of the most popular ram out there for overclockers at the moment :

G.Skill 2GB F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
CAS Latency: CL 4-4-4-12
Test Voltage: 2.0~2.1 Volts

They both use the same Micron D9GMH moduls
more volts to play (Team 2.3V vs G.Skill 2.1V).

Let us know how it works out. I've also considered that exact same Team memory.
But price, lack of knowledge (don't know if a lower boudary of 1.95V was maybe to close to the max of the P5B-VM) and impatience made me order the G.Skill PC6400 CL5. Not being much of an overclocker, I've been told that even that may be a bit overkill :)

New BIOS 0307 now. It allows FSB up to 500 (LMAO)... Memory still maxed at 1.95v. And, I can't even get it to turn on if I go anything over totally stock (ie, auto).

CPU Frequency (100-500)
DRAM Frequency (533,667,800,889,1067)
PCI-Express Frequency (90-104)
Spread Spectrum
Memory Volage (1.8-1.95v)
CPU VCore (1.225-1.6v)

Then you can enable or disable things on the CPU like C1E, CPU TM, PECI, Speedstep, etc.

Finally, some memory settings for CAS, RAS, etc.

That's all folks.

how goes the build? Find any working memory? I am still waiting on mine, it is supposed to be in on tuesday. I still need to get case, proc, etc.

PaHick said:
Remember on AIM I told you about my Tforce problems? All memory related, im on the Epox right now and let me tell ya, you werent shittin ! Very nice board! And it likes my Gskills :D

Glad you like it :)

CrimandEvil said:
Nice, their 6100 right? I've been thinking of going ATX for SLI (I might want to get two 7900GSes) but that board sounds nice.

i was thinking of going back to ATX aswell....but then i looked at the SFF to my right. I just couldnt do it. I was gonna pickup the MSI AM2 xfire board + an x1800 master card.....but my SFF is so cute- and with all my SFF knowledge it would be a crime to switch on you guys now :D

cyrana said:
New BIOS 0307 now. It allows FSB up to 500 (LMAO)... Memory still maxed at 1.95v. And, I can't even get it to turn on if I go anything over totally stock (ie, auto).

Same problem here. If i change anything the system won't boot. (P5B-VM 307, E6600, 2x1GB Infineon DDR2-667)

With an P5LD2-VM SE the E6600 runs at least @3,0Ghz (FSB333) when i set the PCIe-Freq to 116Mhz (bug with this boards, but didn't help with P5B-VM)

Sorry to hear that.

I've not been able to find some decent RAM, so I'm just going to give it to my brother to have and let my dad buy him some cheap 1.8v stuff since he'll never OC.

cyrana said:
Sorry to hear that.

I've not been able to find some decent RAM, so I'm just going to give it to my brother to have and let my dad buy him some cheap 1.8v stuff since he'll never OC.

That Corsiar you have at the top will work right? I just ordered the 6600 processor. I am about to drop a megaton of cash for:
silverstone sg01
nec dvd-rw etc
the corsair memory in the first post
seasonic s12-500

I'll run the onboard video for a bit till I figure out what card I want.
I'll probably get a 7200.10 drive 320gb, I allready have a 5drive array so storage is not a problem(actually it is but that's another story). Raptors are too expensive.
how does all that sound?

Project2501 said:
That Corsiar you have at the top will work right? I just ordered the 6600 processor. I am about to drop a megaton of cash for:
silverstone sg01
nec dvd-rw etc
the corsair memory in the first post
seasonic s12-500

I'll run the onboard video for a bit till I figure out what card I want.
I'll probably get a 7200.10 drive 320gb, I allready have a 5drive array so storage is not a problem(actually it is but that's another story). Raptors are too expensive.
how does all that sound?
Well, it will at least boot. Even my 2.2v Patriot boots on it, I just can't put two sticks in...so I imagine you are ok.

Sounds like a decent setup. :) Should be fairly quiet if the SG-01 is quiet, as the stock HSF on the 6600 is nice and quiet, as is the Seasonic.

What video card?

I haven't been paying attention to the video card market as of recent so I have no idea, probably a midrange card.
As of right now I don't plan on doing any overclocking, but maybe later on when the system gets older I'll upgrade a bit or something.

I bought two sticks of Crucial 1.8V DDR2-667 memory for my P5B-VM. I had no troubles booting up, and I will try my luck at overclocking and report back. Crucial's website had a memory selector page, that actually listed the P5B-VM and also listed lots of memory that they gaurantee will be compatible. I wanted the Ballistix, but it was $200 per GB of DDR2-800, and runs at 2.1V but they say it works.

My Specs:

E-6300
Asus P5B-VM
Crucial DDR2-667 (2X1GB)
SilverStone SG01EVO
Enermax Liberty 500W
EVGA 7900GT Signature Series
Hauppage MCE150, WinXP MCE2005

LanPirate1 said:
I bought two sticks of Crucial 1.8V DDR2-667 memory for my P5B-VM. I had no troubles booting up, and I will try my luck at overclocking and report back. Crucial's website had a memory selector page, that actually listed the P5B-VM and also listed lots of memory that they gaurantee will be compatible. I wanted the Ballistix, but it was $200 per GB of DDR2-800, and runs at 2.1V but they say it works.

My Specs:

E-6300
Asus P5B-VM
Crucial DDR2-667 (2X1GB)
SilverStone SG01EVO
Enermax Liberty 500W
EVGA 7900GT Signature Series
Hauppage MCE150, WinXP MCE2005

Yeah, please let us know. I'm _finally_ deciding on my config since my CPU will be in soon, getting TJ-08 and water cooling setup.

I got this memory:

http://www.tankguys.biz/ddr2-3338-p-1676.html?osCsid=250377adb2b19d448b08e35035579c1e

I'm hoping this will boot and allow me to get to at least DDR-800 at 1.95V, though I'd be content with 3.2/9*2=DDR-711-ish or so (overclock my E6600 to 3.2GHz).

Back