Asus P5B-VM Memory Recs?

my overclock:
Intel core 2duo E6400 2,13GHz@2,7GHz

my link

Nice try, but do notice the distorted sound at PCIe=125 MHz. I tried it and firstly I got excited about the relatively high overclock, but then noticed poping during music/movie playback... All this is in case of using the integrated SoundMax HD Audio. No idea what happens when using external audio adapter.

Just spotted a new bios, its a beta though 0606.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5B-VM

If anyone wants to try it, let me know if it gets around the failed pci=e lock problem.

Nope, unfortunately it does not :-(

Hello guys! I'm about to build a gaming pc with a ST SG01, core2duo of course.
Which mobo/chipset should I choose,regarding that I want to overclock ?
*ASUS P5LD2-VM or
*ASUS P5B-VM

As I have being reading in some forums that the 945G chipset has more overclocking capabilities than the G965 chipset, but the memory is slightly weak ? correct?
or is it the Bios that holding G965 boards back ? Anywho I want to buy and build my SFF system now :D plz help me, which board, which chipset ?

And second, what do you think of these memory sticks ?
*OCZ High Performance 2x1024MB Kit Gold XTC
*Corsair XMS2-6400 TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Can I choose one of these for me system ?

//Warget

for the P5B-VM, you need memory that runs at 1.8V. At the time, when I emailed Andy at OCZ, they had no product for the P5B-VM. That may have changed though.

I'd like to warn all people who intend to build a rig with P5B VM + the new e4300 that it will not be possible to overclock this cpu! It's definitely locked @200 :mad:

Edit: sorry but lanpirate1 seems to have solved the problem!

for the P5B-VM, you need memory that runs at 1.8V. At the time, when I emailed Andy at OCZ, they had no product for the P5B-VM. That may have changed though.

So memory that runs at say 2.1v default will not work at all on this board?

There is a QVL in the Asus manual. I went by it, and found ram at my local retailer that had it.
At the price of DDR2 these days, I didnt want to get something that was not compatible. Typically, your everyday kingston and crucial DDR2 is running at 1.8V. I think you could run 2.1 volt ram at 1.8, why not? I just did not have any other sticks to try, so I wanted to get it right, first time.

1.95 is the upper limit for P5B-VMs. There's a very nice G.Skill DDR2 800 that's 50 dollar cheaper than regular DDR2 800 that runs at 1.8-1.9 but you can overvolt them higher.

Hmm, anyone look into voltmod for dimm for this board? I don't have it personally, but I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult

I see some people here had a temperature decrease with the 0405 bios, I flashed a P5B-VM today to the 0405 bios but did not notice a temperature change. The CPU is still at 45ºC idle in the bios - it's a stock E6600 with the stock cooler. I wasn't expecting such a high temperature, I'm affraid to see what the load temperature will be like when I install the OS. :(

Back