Asus P5B-VM Memory Recs?

Then plz post in the other thread, i am trying to gather other users with this problem.

Asus just answered this to my problem: "we (the support) are not allowed to support problems regarding overclocking, please inform yourself on forums or newsgroups."

koegs said:
Then plz post in the other thread, i am trying to gather other users with this problem.

Asus just answered this to my problem: "we (the support) are not allowed to support problems regarding overclocking, please inform yourself on forums or newsgroups."
That's a rather lame thing to say... Why are they bothering w/all the options that are obviously only of use if you OC then.

So I take it that this is the best candidate for mATX Conroe OCing so far? Let's say an average of 250 Mhz is what most users can get........using the cheapest Conroe, what would this put the frequency at? How would that compare to an X2 4200 running 2.7 Ghz? Would it still stomp it? Would that stock Conroe still stomp an OC X2 4200 at 2.7 Ghz?

So far the P5B-VM is no good candidate because the default fsb-freq for every Core 2 Duo is 266Mhz. You will have to get higher than that. If you have room for a standard atx board try a P5B (Deluxe) but not the P5B-VM.

For benchmarks visit some websites, there are a lot of reviews about the speed of Core 2 Duos.

I say the board sucks for overclocking, yep.

koegs is right about google...but Conroes are nice and fast. :)

Even the crappy ECS mATX Via board I have Overclocks better. It hit a FSB of 300 (max the bios allows) first try. Too bad the board is AGP and only supports DDR2 533.

MassiveOverkill said:
So I take it that this is the best candidate for mATX Conroe OCing so far? Let's say an average of 250 Mhz is what most users can get........using the cheapest Conroe, what would this put the frequency at? How would that compare to an X2 4200 running 2.7 Ghz? Would it still stomp it? Would that stock Conroe still stomp an OC X2 4200 at 2.7 Ghz?

a 939 X2 at 2700 is the equivalent of a 6500/6600 at stock. an AM2 @ 2700 with a nice ddr2 speed will be even better.

got this board about a week ago and was actually excited when i did so, 'cause i've been waiting for it to arrive locally (philippines) for the longest time, and i've been regretting my decision ever since.

first, my ddr2-667 absolutely won't work with the board. i had to get new ram just to run the damned thing.

next, the reason i was bent on getting this board was that its predecessors in the p5b line had a fine pedigree when it comes to overclocking, and i expected this board to continue that tradition. was i ever wrong. still and all, i think i'm a bit luckier than other guys here who tried to oc the board, since i was able to hit fsb 287. anything beyond that, the board won't post. heck, my old board, an asrock 775twins-hdtv r2.0 was able to hit fsb 322 with ddr2-667 before crapping out.

finally (for now, at least), i updated the bios from the original version 0207 to 0307 almost immediately after i got the system running. a couple of nights ago, i got to thinking that maybe v.0307 was the stumbling block for oc'ing, so i tried to revert to 0207, just to see if my idea had merit. another no-go. the board won't allow me to re-flash to 0207, whether i did the flashing through windows or in dos.

my only hope now is that asus comes up with a better bios version soon, so users like us won't be overly disappointed with this mobo.

I changed back to my trusty P5LD2-VM SE and now my E6600 runs at 333Mhz FSB with 3.0Ghz again. Just changed FSB to 333Mhz and PCIe to 116Mhz (because there are some problems with the 945G overclocking and pcie), everything else left @stock or [AUTO].

Runs without a glitch.

Hexagon, I tried 0207, it was even more finicky... So no worries on not being able to flash back.

This board sucks. :( My brother will like it, but for his use I should have just gotten the cheaper Intel one since he doesn't need eSATA or anything.

@cyrana: thanks. at least i could rest easy about not being able to revert back to 0207.

yeah, this is a sucky board. hardly worth the money i plunked down to get it. i should have stuck with my asrock board for the time being, at least until the g965 chipset matures a bit more.

oh, well...

Man, I was excited about this board. Are these companies completely inept and unable to release a decent matx board?

So what's the next board expected out? Why can't Gigabyte just matx-ize their 965G ATX board, that would be sweet.

jvrobert said:
Man, I was excited about this board. Are these companies completely inept and unable to release a decent matx board?

Hold on there... I too OC...have been for years...but, just because a board doesn't OC up to someones standards doesn't make it less than decent, it's just a less than decent overclocker...there IS a difference...

thespymaster said:
Hold on there... I too OC...have been for years...but, just because a board doesn't OC up to someones standards doesn't make it less than decent, it's just a less than decent overclocker...there IS a difference...

True, but Asus mentions overclocking in their product materials and OC is a fact of life in retail motherboards (versus OEM, where nobody cares). The fact is there's no apparent reason for this MB not to OC better, but it doesn't.

If I was building a PC for my mother/sister then this would be great board. As it stands, I wouldn't buy it. Maybe they can improve BIOS.

jvrobert said:
True, but Asus mentions overclocking in their product materials and OC is a fact of life in retail motherboards (versus OEM, where nobody cares). The fact is there's no apparent reason for this MB not to OC better, but it doesn't.

If I was building a PC for my mother/sister then this would be great board. As it stands, I wouldn't buy it. Maybe they can improve BIOS.

Fair enough...So, the answer...I guess we in the "Community" leave this one alone and wait for something better...Move along...nothing to see here...

OK - so the P5B-VM is a stinker. What's the best Conroe board for matx OC'ing right now? Do any of the 945 boards OC for crap?

All I want is:

PCI-e lock
VDimm up to 1.95v (2.1v would be perfect)
FSB that can get up to ~350 (400 would be perfect)

I've waited for at least 10 weeks + for a good mATX board for conroe.
I can see it's not happening anytime soon, and I can see nothing before 2007 on the horizon.
The new Gigabyte 965GM-S2 will be just as poor an overclocker you can betcha !
Using the Core2 on stock motherboard is waste of time and no doubt yours.
As AM2 will overclock and out perform much better with some nice DDR2.

I've decided to go next best thing to SFF form factor with the great E6600
That's right mATX form factor !

I had a complete change of heart after I saw the Silverstone TJ08 mATX case in person.
It's so tiny and built better than I thought even liking it better than the SG01e

Then I saw the Lian Li V600 in Black in person.
it's the same size as mATX case. It's Tiny. It's "ATX" form factor with beautiful Alu finish.
It's the smallest ATX i've ever seen *EVER*.

Intel still is not the place for mATX rigs at the moment I'm afraid..
If you ever considered a Core2 E6600 in a Silverstone TJ08 mini tower
Just do the full ATX rig in the Lian Li, only con is the low profile HSF.
SMALL price to pay for SMALL.

My stunning new black pure alu case will be here Monday. ;)

Should have stuck with my X2-3800. With my 286 ceiling, I'm at the same 2.0Ghz I was at with the 3800. Only advantage is 2mb cache. Damn!
Maybe it'll tide me over till quad core comes for AM2 in '07.

jvrobert said:
OK - so the P5B-VM is a stinker. What's the best Conroe board for matx OC'ing right now? Do any of the 945 boards OC for crap?

All I want is:

PCI-e lock
VDimm up to 1.95v (2.1v would be perfect)
FSB that can get up to ~350 (400 would be perfect)
Well, the P5B-VM does meet all of those requirements. ;) lol

Wait a minute. What if we manually adjust the PCI- speed down to a lower setting, so that when the FSB goes up, the pci will too and be within target? I'm new to this, just a question. My FSB is at "max" of 286 now too, for a 2.0Ghz total cpu speed. Can someone run a program, or recommend one to see what my PCI-E speed actually is right now?

Secondly, does anyone know why CPU-Z's memory tab says my ram is running at 356.9mhz? shouldnt it be either running at 286mhz, or at 333Mhz. I have it set at Auto, SPD. FSB is currently 286, as I said earlier.

CPU says: 356.0Mhz. 4:5, 5-5-5-15

What we need is a crack bios writer, if a pci-e lock is what;s keeping this board from being stellar. I like the board, lots of features, runs cool too.

jvrobert said:
No pci-e lock, correct? Isn't that what's preventing any real overclocking?
I said it meets them all, right? You can lock PCI-e. I had it at 100 and it still wasn't overclocking.

Of course, I had memory rated at 2.2v, so I'm not the perfect test case.

Here are the OC settings (don't have the screen in front of me, but they are all there):

CPU Frequency (100-500)
DRAM Frequency (533,667,800,889,1067)
PCI-Express Frequency (90-104)
Spread Spectrum
Memory Volage (1.8-1.95v)
CPU VCore (1.225-1.6v)

cyrana said:
I said it meets them all, right? You can lock PCI-e. I had it at 100 and it still wasn't overclocking.

Of course, I had memory rated at 2.2v, so I'm not the perfect test case.

Here are the OC settings (don't have the screen in front of me, but they are all there):

CPU Frequency (100-500)
DRAM Frequency (533,667,800,889,1067)
PCI-Express Frequency (90-104)
Spread Spectrum
Memory Volage (1.8-1.95v)
CPU VCore (1.225-1.6v)

Hmm.. One of the reviews on newegg said no pci-e, that's why I thought it didn't.

So I'm confused - why don't these overclock with good memory? Micron D9 chips should do up to DDR800 at 1.95v at least. What's holding these back?

I'm this '' close to giving up my dreams of a water cooled Silverstone TJ-08, shipping the case back to newegg, eating the $30-$40, and just getting a damn atx case and mobo.

jvrobert said:
I'm this '' close to giving up my dreams of a water cooled Silverstone TJ-08, shipping the case back to newegg, eating the $30-$40, and just getting a damn atx case and mobo.

Easy now, no-one ever said m-ATX was gonna be a walk in the park. I had the EVGA NF-44 mobo in my EVO for the last few months and she would not overclock even 1MHZ! I almost gave up then too. And remember: If this mobo can't be fully exploited for oc'ing, wait till the chipsets mature some more, and get another mobo. It's just a mobo, you can always strap an 805D in it and sell it to a friend or someone who needs a cheap rig with great onboard video.
Us early adopters should note that this is the price we pay for our incessant needs. Sometimes you just need, but pay the price when you get it home. Time will tell, as it always does. I just love my SG01EVO too much to go back to ATX.

jvrobert said:
Hmm.. One of the reviews on newegg said no pci-e, that's why I thought it didn't.

So I'm confused - why don't these overclock with good memory? Micron D9 chips should do up to DDR800 at 1.95v at least. What's holding these back?

Well, perhaps the other poster didn't see the PCIe lock option and that is his problem.

For me I'm sure it is the memory, as I'm lucky this stuff even boots at 1.95v.

LanPirate1 said:
Easy now, no-one ever said m-ATX was gonna be a walk in the park. I had the EVGA NF-44 mobo in my EVO for the last few months and she would not overclock even 1MHZ! I almost gave up then too. And remember: If this mobo can't be fully exploited for oc'ing, wait till the chipsets mature some more, and get another mobo. It's just a mobo, you can always strap an 805D in it and sell it to a friend or someone who needs a cheap rig with great onboard video.
Us early adopters should note that this is the price we pay for our incessant needs. Sometimes you just need, but pay the price when you get it home. Time will tell, as it always does. I just love my SG01EVO too much to go back to ATX.

I think SFF fan's with Conroes have already "paid the price".
I went back to ATX when I saw the Lian Li V600 was as small as a Silverstone TJ08 mATX.
The only price to pay is a low profile heat sink fan ~ but a little modding might fix that.

satchi said:
The only price to pay is a low profile heat sink fan ~ but a little modding might fix that.
Or a Zalman 7700 ALCU.

I think I might go your route although I wanted something that would fit into a Micro fly.

satchi said:
I think SFF fan's with Conroes have already "paid the price".
I went back to ATX when I saw the Lian Li V600 was as small as a Silverstone TJ08 mATX.
Well, it costs a lot, but the NT-06 fits fine (ok, its tight) in the TJ08, even w/the 12cm fan on it.. Makes for a total of 12cm fans in the case when you count the PSU and CPU.

In regards to the PCIe lock again (on this board), it is under the JumperFree area -> AI Tuning -> PCI Express Frequency.

cyrana said:
Well, it costs a lot, but the NT-06 fits fine (ok, its tight) in the TJ08, even w/the 12cm fan on it.. Makes for a total of 12cm fans in the case when you count the PSU and CPU.

In regards to the PCIe lock again (on this board), it is under the JumperFree area -> AI Tuning -> PCI Express Frequency.

You mean it fits in the V600? I would certainly hope if fits in the TJ-08, if they don't release a decent matx board (and if P5B-VM won't overclock with good memory) worthy of watercooling I'm planning on probably using a Zalman 9500 or a SI-128 both of which are taller than NT06.

Jason

Why does the memory have to be good? Can't it be fixed to run at a divider? Can't I set the memory speed to a lower number so that when I up the fsb, the ram ends up still within specs? Thats how AMD oc'ing worked for me in the past. I still do not get it, sorry.
If I didnt know better, at 286fsb, it looks like the memory is running 20MHZ over its stock, no matter what memory anyone is using.

Well, you can technically change the divider on memory. Those memory speed options I list I think change the FSB to memory divider. I know if you set the boot screen to verbose, you will see the differences there. (I think the 'normal' P5B is the same in this respect)

I'm done with the matx dream, giving up. I just installed a Gigabyte 965G board and it won't overclock for crap either - sata drives just disappear. Apparently Intel put some limitation in to protect the integrated graphics, according to Gary on the Anandtech forums. My guess is no matx board for Intel (barring RD600 which may or may not show up) will be worth a damn for overclocking.

It was a nice drea while it lasted, alas it's back to probably a Solo.

Man, a 965_P_ matx board would be sweet.

If somebody is really looking for a mATX-Board with SOME OC-capabilites, try the Asus P5LD2-VM SE. It's the first board i have used with the Conroe E6600 before i used the P5B-VM.

I have switched back and now see this:

Conroe E6600
Asus P5LD2-VM SE (stock bios)
Infineon/Aeneon DDR2-667 2x1GB

Bios-Seetings:
FSB: 333 Mhz
PCIe-Freq: 114 Mhz (because of the problem with some 945-Chipsets)
RAM: DDR2-666 (fits good with 333Mhz FSB, otherwise you might set another divider)
PCI: Fixed to 33 Mhz
Vcore: AUTO

AND BAAAM: 3Ghz :eek:

I will try other settings like 366Mhz FSB for 3,3Ghz in the future, but right now i am satisfied.

I had this board runnings at high PCIe-Freq for a while with an overclocked Pentium-D 805 @ 3,3Ghz, no problems with NIC or SATA-Drives...

The P5B-VM has a max VDIMM of 1.95V.
My GeIL PC6400 2GB Kit works fine on it at 553MHz.

The motherboard is crap. Unless Asus releases a proper BIOS version soon, I am goign too look for something else.

cyrana said:

It won't fit it in the V600 except in *passive*. The fan is too high.

Some guy has done a mod of the PSU position and it looks sweet.

http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p8300034fi5.jpg
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?threadid=333532&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Or you could just use the Zalman Fatality FSC77, it will work also.
(with fan controller, to turn down it's screaming banshee whine !)

Hi guys.. I found this board while searching in disgust for info about my P5B-VM.. I, too was super excited about having found a perfect board for mATX Conroe lol.

I actually got my memory to boot (OCZ Gold DDR2-6400 5-5-5-12) when I set it manually in the bios.. it sets the timings to 5-6-6-15 though. Well that was at first, after I started messing around trying to get the timings right now it won't even boot like this go figure.. please post hatemail on the Asus VIP boards maybe they will fix this thing. lol

I was thinking of trying some Mushkin EM ram that is rated at 1.9v but what a waste if I still can't OC :mad: :mad: :mad: I don't want to blow more money on this thing unless its gonna work

Indeed, better not too spend any money for at least a month now.
If things don't improve, I am rebuilding my current computer case (TJ06) and buy a decent ATX motherboard *sob*.

By increasing my PCIe speed to 110 I was able to hit a FSB speed of 300. I also found that the memory speed settings are actually ratio settings.
800=2:3 667=4:5 533=1:1

JustLong said:
By increasing my PCIe speed to 110 I was able to hit a FSB speed of 300. I also found that the memory speed settings are actually ratio settings.
800=2:3 667=4:5 533=1:1

Wow thats interesting.. I might have been setting the PCI-E speed wrong. I'm going to try it now.

:eek:

Back