So...wuts the latest word on 30incher release dates???

StalkerZER0

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't found out any news on the HP L3065 release date. Have any of you? And what about the samsung 305T?

Are any of you waiting to get a 30 incher hi res lcd at the end of the year like I am? :confused:

I looked at anandtech's realtime price engine and found that the Conroes dropped to 95% of their initial release price after 4 weeks, and 90% after 6 weeks; now they're down to 82%. If the HP follows the same model, it'll be $1800 by mid-Dec, but of course Cmas will skew things or jack up the prices, so January would be the time to buy.

StalkerZER0 said:
I haven't found out any news on the HP L3065 release date. Have any of you? And what about the samsung 305T?

Are any of you waiting to get a 30 incher hi res lcd at the end of the year like I am? :confused:

Nope, I went ahead and bought the Dell now because of the amazing price. I know that some people have issues with them, but the buzzing (if it exists) probably won't bother me, and I've seen one in person and I'm very pleased with what it looks like for games.The color reproduction is excellent and I don't care about the extra inputs. I don't need them.

Dan_D said:
The color reproduction is excellent and I don't care about the extra inputs. I don't need them.
The 305T and LP3065 only have DVI inputs, too. But the LP3065 does have largely improved colors over the 3007, especially in the green range, which is important since our eyes discern green the best.

zzz said:
I looked at anandtech's realtime price engine and found that the Conroes dropped to 95% of their initial release price after 4 weeks, and 90% after 6 weeks; now they're down to 82%. If the HP follows the same model, it'll be $1800 by mid-Dec, but of course Cmas will skew things or jack up the prices, so January would be the time to buy.

Dammit!!!! :mad: ..............*sigh*...I guess I would have to agree with that assessment. :(

Dan_D said:
Nope, I went ahead and bought the Dell now because of the amazing price. I know that some people have issues with them, but the buzzing (if it exists) probably won't bother me, and I've seen one in person and I'm very pleased with what it looks like for games.The color reproduction is excellent and I don't care about the extra inputs. I don't need them.

Ya gotta lemme know when you get it and if you notice any buzzing or any dead pixels...ok? :(

zzz said:
The 305T and LP3065 only have DVI inputs, too. But the LP3065 does have largely improved colors over the 3007, especially in the green range, which is important since our eyes discern green the best.

Its going to be very interesting indeed to see how the BenQ FP301W stacks up against the LP3065 and the 305T. My decision on which monitor to get is still up in the air. But it just might be the LP3065 because of the panel.

protias said:
the guy who says it is really big is really saying its really small ;)

I've got 3" of man steel waiting for the ladies then. :eek:

StalkerZER0 said:
Ya gotta lemme know when you get it and if you notice any buzzing or any dead pixels...ok? :(

I will. I've been keeping track of the Dell 3007 Buzzing thread. My monitors arrival was delayed until tomorrow (damn UPS), so hopefully I'll know tomorrow and hopefully everything will be fine.

StalkerZER0 said:
Please elaborate. Whats so special about the backlight? :confused:

The backlight emits a more "rich" spectrum so to speak i.e. it contains more colors with a more even distribution in the white light emitted which allows the LCD to filter it and produce a larger range of colors on-screen.

pawstar said:
The backlight emits a more "rich" spectrum so to speak i.e. it contains more colors with a more even distribution in the white light emitted which allows the LCD to filter it and produce a larger range of colors on-screen.
That's right. In addition to the IPS panel advantage HP has, their new backlight gives the screen 92% colors, and I don't know if the other manufacturers are using the new backlight technology.

zzz said:
That's right. In addition to the IPS panel advantage HP has, their new backlight gives the screen 92% colors, and I don't know if the other manufacturers are using the new backlight technology.

Then of the contenders..........

HP L3065
BenQ FP301W
Samsung 305T

and the........
Dell 3007WFP

as well as.........
Apple 30" Cinema Display

The winner is..........HP L3065?? :confused:

StalkerZER0 said:
Then of the contenders..........

HP L3065
BenQ FP301W
Samsung 305T

and the........
Dell 3007WFP

as well as.........
Apple 30" Cinema Display

The winner is..........HP L3065?? :confused:

On paper anyway. Until these things are actually available and in the hands of customers, it doesn't matter much.

Dan_D said:
On paper anyway. Until these things are actually available and in the hands of customers, it doesn't matter much.

True. Very true. However, when I know a product is worse on paper compared to competition, I am no longer going to wait for it, especially when there is something potentially much better coming up much sooner. Very rarely is a product better than its written paper specs (with the exception of CPU's & GPU's due to their overclockn' potential).

pawstar said:
True. Very true. However, when I know a product is worse on paper compared to competition, I am no longer going to wait for it, especially when there is something potentially much better coming up much sooner. Very rarely is a product better than its written paper specs (with the exception of CPU's & GPU's due to their overclockn' potential).

Well 2007/2008 will bring many new things in LCD production. There are new backlights - EEFL (External Electrode Fluorescent Lamp) which has it's electrodes OUTSIDE the lamp giving less heat, less bulk and a longer life. And then there's the FFL or Flat Fluorescent Lamp which is flat and covers the entire display area - no need of prisms, diffuser sheets, light guides etc making for a more uniform backlight. For example, using the above technologies on a 32" panel would mean a power consumption of 68W instead of the usual 90 ~ 120W. The backlights also have 'peaks' in color ranges other than the usual Red, Green and Blue. Sharp uses a 5 wave backlight in it's latest LCD ( not monitors ) panels that gives red, green, blue, deeper red and deeper green. And of course there's DisplayPort and HDMI 1.3

So let's see what 2007 brings us in the area of large and uber-large displays. Any idea what happened to that Quad HD 50" display by Chi Mei Optoelectronics ?

harshw said:
Well 2007/2008 will bring many new things in LCD production. There are new backlights - EEFL (External Electrode Fluorescent Lamp) which has it's electrodes OUTSIDE the lamp giving less heat, less bulk and a longer life. And then there's the FFL or Flat Fluorescent Lamp which is flat and covers the entire display area - no need of prisms, diffuser sheets, light guides etc making for a more uniform backlight. For example, using the above technologies on a 32" panel would mean a power consumption of 68W instead of the usual 90 ~ 120W. The backlights also have 'peaks' in color ranges other than the usual Red, Green and Blue. Sharp uses a 5 wave backlight in it's latest LCD ( not monitors ) panels that gives red, green, blue, deeper red and deeper green. And of course there's DisplayPort and HDMI 1.3

So let's see what 2007 brings us in the area of large and uber-large displays. Any idea what happened to that Quad HD 50" display by Chi Mei Optoelectronics ?

Well true, but I was referring to the current choices of 30"-er displays which will be on the market soon. When looking for the ideal monitor, you might as well get a time travel machine - there will always be something else new and better!

harshw said:

OMG!!
Don't even start that! lalalaalalaal I can't hear you!!!! lalalaalalalalaalal
No more lets see what 2007 brings?? DAmmit I want my 30" high resser nowww!!!! :mad:

I just received my 3007WFP and I couldn't be happier. I got a great monitor at a great price. Mine was perfect out of the box and I have really enjoyed gaming and doing photo editing on this thing.

zzz said:
Then buy a 3007 already! Or wait 2 weeks for a LP3065!

Its less than two weeks its 11 days!!! Gah, why can't I see any pre-order pages on my favourite computer shops :mad: (then again, I know I'll wait for the really impatient cough cough I mean reviewers to get em first and let us know how it actually performs)

The latest from the front lines. Someone I know emailed me:

"This guy at Dell...told me today that Dell is cleaning inventory on the 30" monitors but would not say why. I asked him if a new monitor was coming from Dell and he said "no comment" but he also said I made a good decision in purchasing the 30" now--I am guessing he meant that what you said was right the next Dell 30" monitor is not going to be as high quality as this model"

So....in 2 weeks, I'd say there's a good chance that Dell's PVA conversion will be complete. That means if the HP is a flop, all of us who are waiting are screwed. :mad: I'll probably swallow that risk, since the HP looks so good on paper and I'm not quite ready to research/build my new PC yet. I can't believe the new Dell, Samsung, and BenQ 30"ers all have to use PVAs.

zzz said:
The latest from the front lines. Someone I know emailed me:

"This guy at Dell...told me today that Dell is cleaning inventory on the 30" monitors but would not say why. I asked him if a new monitor was coming from Dell and he said "no comment" but he also said I made a good decision in purchasing the 30" now--I am guessing he meant that what you said was right the next Dell 30" monitor is not going to be as high quality as this model"

So....in 2 weeks, I'd say there's a good chance that Dell's PVA conversion will be complete. That means if the HP is a flop, all of us who are waiting are screwed. :mad: I'll probably swallow that risk, since the HP looks so good on paper and I'm not quite ready to research/build my new PC yet. I can't believe the new Dell, Samsung, and BenQ 30"ers all have to use PVAs.

Its been pretty obvious Dell was clearing out their 30" stock. The price dropped from $1899 to almost $1200 in under a month. I've got high hopes for the HP, its what Im planning to buy at least. The previous LG panel was a success so unless they really screwed the pooch I dont see the successor being worse. Might not be leaps and bounds better but hopefully and probably at least a little better :)

I'm also second guessing on whether the LP3065 even uses an IPS. HP hasn't released this info, and the ONLY sources that claim it are a couple Chinese preview sites like this one. I just called HP to ask them, and the guy said he didn't even have that info available, and even if he did, he coudn't release it to me. I suppose even if it turns out to be a flop, or a PVA, there's 3007's available on ebay.

The guy on the phone also said to sign up for HP's mailing list since they might give out discounts through that.

Kool, thanks for the mailing list link. Put one of my email address up on it.

Well when HP did the only official announcement every site that posted it said it'd use the LM300WQ1 panel. Do you have any reason to think they'd do otherwise?

jamesavery22 said:
Well when HP did the only official announcement every site that posted it said it'd use the LM300WQ1 panel. Do you have any reason to think they'd do otherwise?
Not true at all. Do a google search for LP3065 LM300WQ1 vs just LP3065, and you'll see that very few sites mention the panel.

Interestingly, doing that first search I found a German forum where the users speculated on the panel type, based on the specs HP advertised (see Felix's post). I bet that's how anyone ever guessed it uses the LM300WQ1.

This shows 70% vs 91% color.

pawstar said:
Well true, but I was referring to the current choices of 30"-er displays which will be on the market soon. When looking for the ideal monitor, you might as well get a time travel machine - there will always be something else new and better!

pawstar, I'm simply playing [H]ardForum's favorite game ... "Let's wind up StalkerZERO" :D

I purchased my 3007 back in June 2006 and I'm extremely happy with it...

I wouldn't wait Stalker. Just buy the 3007, you'll be happy. If you keep on waiting, your not going to buy anything in the technology world.

zzz said:
Not true at all. Do a google search for LP3065 LM300WQ1 vs just LP3065, and you'll see that very few sites mention the panel.

Interestingly, doing that first search I found a German forum where the users speculated on the panel type, based on the specs HP advertised (see Felix's post). I bet that's how anyone ever guessed it uses the LM300WQ1.

This shows 70% vs 91% color.

That sucks... Thanks for the info... Getting a A01 3007wfp on ebay will be my fall back plan I guess :\

jamesavery22 said:
That sucks... Thanks for the info... Getting a A01 3007wfp on ebay will be my fall back plan I guess :\
I don't think you'll need the backup plan. I researched the panels myself and I'd say there's a 95% chance the LP3065 uses the LM300WQ1. I expect it to be the best monitor ever. I also found that the panel the 3007 uses only has a 72% color gamut! I'll definitely appreciate the extra green and red colors when I'm playing Supreme Commander, as the landscape of the earth-type worlds is green, and explosions are red (this screenshot says it all :D)

But I do find it really dumb that HP wouldn't advertise the fact that it's an IPS, yet they do tell us it'll cost $2000...when IPS is a major selling point.

zzz said:
I don't think you'll need the backup plan. I researched the panels myself and I'd say there's a 95% chance the LP3065 uses the LM300WQ1. I expect it to be the best monitor ever. I also found that the panel the 3007 uses only has a 72% color gamut! I'll definitely appreciate the extra green and red colors when I'm playing Supreme Commander, as the landscape of the earth-type worlds is green, and explosions are red (this screenshot says it all :D)

But I do find it really dumb that HP wouldn't advertise the fact that it's an IPS, yet they do tell us it'll cost $2000...when IPS is a major selling point.

Yeah, its very strange that they are not stating that in the specs. On top of that their Canadian site does not provide any info on the LP3065 which sucks. I hope that doesn't mean we will have to wait extra for the monitors to arrive.

zzz said:
I'm also second guessing on whether the LP3065 even uses an IPS. HP hasn't released this info, and the ONLY sources that claim it are a couple Chinese preview sites like this one. I just called HP to ask them, and the guy said he didn't even have that info available, and even if he did, he coudn't release it to me. I suppose even if it turns out to be a flop, or a PVA, there's 3007's available on ebay.

The guy on the phone also said to sign up for HP's mailing list since they might give out discounts through that.

No guys I'm waiting. I'm gonna take the risk and see if the HP L3065 is better than the current 3007wfp. Yes, its a big risk that if I the HP L3065 sucks that at that time it be too late to get the current 3007wfp then well....
.....then I lose. :(

harshw said:
pawstar, I'm simply playing [H]ardForum's favorite game ... "Let's wind up StalkerZERO" :D

I purchased my 3007 back in June 2006 and I'm extremely happy with it...

*talks to self* I will win the gamble I will win the gamble I will win the gamble I will win the gamble!!!! :(

zzz said:

omg what game is that? That looks cool! :D

dotCapone said:
You just quoted it.

I know. I meant.......lol I meant what game is that! I mean, I never heard of supreme commander before.

Oh, and to start the morning off can someone please sneak into HP's lab and steal...erm I mean borrow an L3065 and evaluate for us please? :( :p

Supreme Commander is the sequel to Total Annihilation. TA came out 9 years ago, even before Starcraft, and it's still the best RTS ever to come out, IMHO. Do some research on what Chris Taylor (lead designer) has to say about Supreme Commander and you'll be impressed. That game is half the reason I'm even buying a 30"!

Back