So...wuts the latest word on 30incher release dates???

StalkerZER0 said:
Uh-oh, I smell a flame war a brewing. :D :p

LetFlameBegin.jpg

Askanison said:
If the HP is anything like 3007wfp...your devices would have to have dvi output that supports digital 1280x800 x60Hz resolution and no other, cheapest native res.support would still have to go through dl-dvi of graphic cards.
I'll take your word for it, but why would 1280x800 have to be sent to the monitor? As far as I know, you can set your PC's resolution to 1920x1200 (or several other resolutions) and the 30" will display it. Why couldn't an adapter send a non-1280x800 resolution, since a PC can?

Dan_D said:
The Dell 3007WFP has no OSD controls at all, you must use the utility that ships with it to make adjustments other than brightness levels and powering on and off.

Well thats at least one more reason why not to get the 3007WFP. Why on earth did Dell eliminate the OSD !?!? Gah, that really sucks. I am thinking that the HP will have to include an OSD as it does have three DVI-D inputs so there will need to be a way to set up priority and such.

zzz said:
I'll take your word for it, but why would 1280x800 have to be sent to the monitor? As far as I know, you can set your PC's resolution to 1920x1200 (or several other resolutions) and the 30" will display it. Why couldn't an adapter send a non-1280x800 resolution, since a PC can?

Hmm, I can see 1280x800 being the ideal low res, given the fact that its exactly 1/4 the native resolution (hence its the "second native" where one pixel from device is equal to exactly four pixels on screen). But why would it HAVE to be only that resolution is a good question. Also, I really hope the HP allows for up to 1920x1200 resolution on their monitor without resorting to dual-link connections, given that many devices on the market that output DVI-D signal are not dual link.

pawstar said:
Hmm, I can see 1280x800 being the ideal low res, given the fact that its exactly 1/2 the native resolution (hence its the "second native" where one pixel from device is equal to exactly four pixels on screen). But why would it HAVE to be only that resolution is a good question.
3007wfp coes not have signal processing chip inside. 1280x800 is exactly 1/4 the native resolution .. in which 1 signal pixel is represented by 4 pixels on 3007wfp. Simple maths. Therefore 3007wfp only supports 2 resolutions, 1280x800 and 2560x1600. Any other resolutions are actually the graphic card (nvidia) driving different resolutions scaled to the native 2560x1600 signal

Askanison said:
3007wfp coes not have signal processing chip inside. 1280x800 is exactly 1/4 the native resolution .. in which 1 signal pixel is represented by 4 pixels on 3007wfp. Simple maths. Therefore 3007wfp only supports 2 resolutions, 1280x800 and 2560x1600. Any other resolutions are actually the graphic card (nvidia) driving different resolutions scaled to the native 2560x1600 signal

Yeah, thats what I meant. Thinking 1/2 the width and 1/2 height.

As for no signal processing logic, well that sucks. I really hope the HP doesn't go that route.

pawstar said:
Yeah, thats what I meant. Thinking 1/2 the width and 1/2 height.

As for no signal processing logic, well that sucks. I really hope the HP doesn't go that route.

This is a professional market monitor so if HP's research shows that 95% of the market doesn't need video signal processing then they'll leave it off and make more money. They don't seem to be targeting the gaming market according to the marketing materials I've read.

I am thinking that the HP will have to include an OSD as it does have three DVI-D inputs so there will need to be a way to set up priority and such.
I wouldn't count on it. Setting priority doesn't require an OSD--it's just a switch.

Also, I really hope the HP allows for up to 1920x1200 resolution on their monitor without resorting to dual-link connections, given that many devices on the market that output DVI-D signal are not dual link.
Since with the 3007, a non-dual link card only does up to 1280x800, that's probably how the HP will handle it. I don't know about the devices you mention, where they're single-link yet output DVI-D.

Therefore 3007wfp only supports 2 resolutions, 1280x800 and 2560x1600. Any other resolutions are actually the graphic card (nvidia) driving different resolutions scaled to the native 2560x1600 signal
I seriously doubt this is true. Your video card doesn't know what's connected on the other end, so how would it know to send a 2560x1600 signal if you program 1920x1200? It doesn't know if you have a 2407 or 3007 connected on the other end. That's why if you program a resolution too high, your monitor will display "out of range"; what's programmed is what's sent. You can send an LCD non-native resolution signals, and it will display them just fine (though not as sharp). I agree that separate chips are required for full OSD control.

syntax_terror said:
This is a professional market monitor so if HP's research shows that 95% of the market doesn't need video signal processing then they'll leave it off and make more money. They don't seem to be targeting the gaming market according to the marketing materials I've read.

They are making a BIG mistake [shakes fist violently] :mad:

zzz said:
I wouldn't count on it. Setting priority doesn't require an OSD--it's just a switch.

Yeah, but whats the fun in that. I like my 21st century style monitors not 20th century.

zzz said:
Since with the 3007, a non-dual link card only does up to 1280x800, that's probably how the HP will handle it. I don't know about the devices you mention, where they're single-link yet output DVI-D.

DVI-D does not signify the number of links ie single or dual
you've got
DVI-I analog + single digital link
DVI-I analog + dual digital link
DVI-D single digital link
DVI-D dual digital link
DVI-A analog

I have yet to see a consumer product that has a dual-link DVI-D output asside from the higher end video cards.

pawstar said:
Yeah, but whats the fun in that. I like my 21st century style monitors not 20th century.
Unfortunately, business decisions don't depend on how fun the OSD is to use :)

Sorry, I thought DVI-D stood for "dual-link"...even though I knew better before. I see what you're saying--you want your DVD player's DVI port to output to 1920x1200 on the 30". Honestly, I don't think it would matter much if the 30" is capped at 1280x800 when receiving DVI-single-link signals, because movies look fine from LCD projectors: those run 1024x768 (0.8MP vs 1MP on the 30") and take up a whole wall....so 1MP in a smaller 30" space should be adequate. If you're right up to the screen it wouldn't be as sharp, but I wouldn't mind much.

Stalker

Per your request in the 2007wpf thread, the 3007 I received today is an A02 built in Mexico.

the_bear said:
Stalker

Per your request in the 2007wpf thread, the 3007 I received today is an A02 built in Mexico.

Great. And how does it run? And what panel is it using if you can tell.....S-IPS or PVA?

the_bear said:
I looks great and appears to be a S-IPS panel.

Currently all known new Dell 3007WFP's are S-IPS panels and are all revision A02.

aw man is the HP LP3065 really going to be US$1999?? i like the new color idea but there is quite a margin between it and the dell as far as pricing goes.

Kherozene said:
aw man is the HP LP3065 really going to be US$1999?? i like the new color idea but there is quite a margin between it and the dell as far as pricing goes.

Which is why I went with the Dell. That and the Dell is available NOW. I mostly game, so while colors are important, I feel that the S-IPS panel in the 3007WFP is good enough.

Kherozene said:
$2000 makes sense to me, since there'll be no other screen like it, and plus it's just the initial release price. Initial prices are always inflated...which is why I'll wait 2 months to buy it.

Just 3 more days now! I hope a lot of sites quickly review it.

zzz said:
$2000 makes sense to me, since there'll be no other screen like it, and plus it's just the initial release price. Initial prices are always inflated...which is why I'll wait 2 months to buy it.

Just 3 more days now! I hope a lot of sites quickly review it.

Make that two more days! :cool:
November 1st? How come there isn't any more info on it on the net yet? :(

Hate getting caught up in a soon-to-be-released product and it not being released yet driving me insane! Not like Im going to buy it right when it gets released anyways :) Still, HP let someone do a review!!!

jamesavery22 said:
Hate getting caught up in a soon-to-be-released product and it not being released yet driving me insane! Not like Im going to buy it right when it gets released anyways :) Still, HP let someone do a review!!!

Even if some website was doing a review on this, it is unlikely that HP would allow anything information to hit the web until the 1st.

Kherozene said:
Another thing I just realized is that the $2k price tag was announced Sept. 6, probably when the 3007 was still >$1700. Dell will surely help drive down the price.

zzz said:
Another thing I just realized is that the $2k price tag was announced Sept. 6, probably when the 3007 was still >$1700. Dell will surely help drive down the price.

Man I sure hope so. And I sware, if there is no info on the HP L3065 tommorow the 1st I will be.................M A D ! ! :mad:

StalkerZER0. Hear this. You will never, I repeat, NEVER own a 30 inch monitor.

I've seen you fuss about it for who knows how long. It just won't ever happen. Face it.

/me keeps on enjoying my 3007WFP, which I've had for almost a year

:D

weemies said:

I've seen you fuss about it for who knows how long. It just won't ever happen. Face it.

neeeeehhhyaayayaa I don't hEAR YOU !!!!! llalalaallalalalaalal I don't hear you!!
I've waited a full Y E A R to make sure that I got the right purchase at the right time.
I SHALL own one you hear???
*runs to roof top*

I hereby sware this day that I.....StalkerZERO...king of the first person shooter and maker and eater of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches..shall soon own a 30 inch high resolution LCD monitor along with an appropriate video card!!!
So shall it be written.......SO SHALL IT BE DONE!!!! :mad: :cool:

weemies said:

I haven't been enjoying my 3007WFP for that long, but I bought the best monitor I could for my money at the time I was in need. At that time it was the 3007WFP. I don't waste time agonizing over what might be, or what will be. If you always wait for the next great thing, you will always wait, because product cycles for electronics are FAR too short.

There are only a few instances where I will wait for somethings release. For example, when a new product is only a 2 or 3 weeks away, on the outside a month.

Dan_D said:
I haven't been enjoying my 3007WFP for that long, but I bought the best monitor I could for my money at the time I was in need. At that time it was the 3007WFP. I don't waste time agonizing over what might be, or what will be. If you always wait for the next great thing, you will always wait, because product cycles for electronics are FAR too short.

There are only a few instances where I will wait for somethings release. For example, when a new product is only a 2 or 3 weeks away, on the outside a month.

Well, one of the reasons why I decided to wait in the first place wasn't really because of the dell 3007wfp itself but on the video card. To really enjoy games, and I don't mean barely enjoy games, but to really enjoy games at 2560x1600 I realized I had to wait to see what the high end g80 based cards could do.
I own the 6800gt and I didn't want to waste money on any of the 7900 cards because that would just be a step above the 6800 stuff. And while the 7900s have the dual link dvi it would barely perform under the strain of running games like FEAR at 2560x1600. And add to that the fact that the g80 cards which were dx10 ready (can you say CRYSIS?) were coming at the end of the year led me to decide to wait til now.
It just did not make sense to buy the monitor at that time a year ago.

Now a year has passed and the g80 cards are about to be released and the dell 3007WFP monitors are heavily discounted. As a matter of fact other 30 inch competiting monitors are going to soon be available to choose from.

I think I've waited till the right time. We will soon find out if my risk paid off or not. :|

StalkerZER0 said:
Well, one of the reasons why I decided to wait in the first place wasn't really because of the dell 3007wfp itself but on the video card. To really enjoy games, and I don't mean barely enjoy games, but to really enjoy games at 2560x1600 I realized I had to wait to see what the high end g80 based cards could do.
I own the 6800gt and I didn't want to waste money on any of the 7900 cards because that would just be a step above the 6800 stuff. And while the 7900s have the dual link dvi it would barely perform under the strain of running games like FEAR at 2560x1600. And add to that the fact that the g80 cards which were dx10 ready (can you say CRYSIS?) were coming at the end of the year led me to decide to wait til now.
It just did not make sense to buy the monitor at that time a year ago.

Now a year has passed and the g80 cards are about to be released and the dell 3007WFP monitors are heavily discounted. As a matter of fact other 30 inch competiting monitors are going to soon be available to choose from.

I think I've waited till the right time. We will soon find out if my risk paid off or not. :|

I think there is a certain amount of sense to what you are saying. The difference between the 6800GT and the 7900GTX is MASSIVE. Don't kid yourself there. The difference was huge. Buying a 7900GTX wouldn't have been enough either, but a pair of them in SLi will run most games at that resolution today. In fact my X1950XTX setup does very well at 2560x1600 in most games. There are a few that won't but most do.

Even games that I have to run at say 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 still look damned good. The scaling on this monitor is the best I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to do it in the Windows desktop, but in the games, it still looks great. Additionally, the Dell 3007WFP has a second native resolution of 1280x800. It turns 4 pixels into 1 pixel and actually looks really good. So it isn't as if the Dell 3007WFP would have been unusable all this time with a pair of SLi 7900GTX's or X1900XT's.

Likely, the G80 will at best be somewhere around 30% faster than a single 7950GX2. Which would make it around if not just slightly faster than two 7900GTX's in SLi. Meaning that you could have enjoyed the same level of performance as G80 all this time. Plus, by your reasoning, the next big thing after G80 would be FAR superior to the G80, so why not wait for that? Again, if you always wait for the latest and greatest you will never stop waiting. So even if G80 is double the performance of the fastest single GPU nVidia has, the 7900GTX, it still will only match or slightly exceed last generations SLi configuration.

I seriously doubt that even G80 can run Crysis at 2560x1600 with full details on and any level of AA and AF. I would be shocked if it could. I am betting that with dual G80's in SLi you'll only get Crysis at 2560x1600 with everything maxed if AA and AF are turned off or are set to very low levels. I suspect that Crysis will be like Far Cry was a couple years ago. No card at the time it was released could hardly run the damned thing. We had to wait for 6800Ultra and GT, as well as X800Pro and X800XT-PE to run it well. The king at the time, the 9800XT 256 didn't have enough muscle to drive that game with any respectable AA and AF at 1280x1024 with everything maxed. Hell even the 6800Ultra couldn't do Far Cry at 1280x1024 with HDR and be playable. 1024x768 was about the max even SLi rigs could do when that game first got HDR added to it.

Granted it's hard to say since the card isn't released yet. Betting so heavily on a card that you know nothing concrete about has deprived you of your 30" LCD enjoyment for a year, and it didn't need to. The G80 could be another FX series flop for all we know. It might look great on paper and suck in reality.

Dan_D said:
I think there is a certain amount of sense to what you are saying. The difference between the 6800GT and the 7900GTX is MASSIVE. Don't kid yourself there. The difference was huge. Buying a 7900GTX wouldn't have been enough either, but a pair of them in SLi will run most games at that resolution today. In fact my X1950XTX setup does very well at 2560x1600 in most games. There are a few that won't but most do.

Even games that I have to run at say 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 still look damned good. The scaling on this monitor is the best I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to do it in the Windows desktop, but in the games, it still looks great. Additionally, the Dell 3007WFP has a second native resolution of 1280x800. It turns 4 pixels into 1 pixel and actually looks really good. So it isn't as if the Dell 3007WFP would have been unusable all this time with a pair of SLi 7900GTX's or X1900XT's.

Likely, the G80 will at best be somewhere around 30% faster than a single 7950GX2. Which would make it around if not just slightly faster than two 7900GTX's in SLi. Meaning that you could have enjoyed the same level of performance as G80 all this time. Plus, by your reasoning, the next big thing after G80 would be FAR superior to the G80, so why not wait for that? Again, if you always wait for the latest and greatest you will never stop waiting. So even if G80 is double the performance of the fastest single GPU nVidia has, the 7900GTX, it still will only match or slightly exceed last generations SLi configuration.

I seriously doubt that even G80 can run Crysis at 2560x1600 with full details on and any level of AA and AF. I would be shocked if it could. I am betting that with dual G80's in SLi you'll only get Crysis at 2560x1600 with everything maxed if AA and AF are turned off or are set to very low levels. I suspect that Crysis will be like Far Cry was a couple years ago. No card at the time it was released could hardly run the damned thing. We had to wait for 6800Ultra and GT, as well as X800Pro and X800XT-PE to run it well. The king at the time, the 9800XT 256 didn't have enough muscle to drive that game with any respectable AA and AF at 1280x1024 with everything maxed. Hell even the 6800Ultra couldn't do Far Cry at 1280x1024 with HDR and be playable. 1024x768 was about the max even SLi rigs could do when that game first got HDR added to it.

Granted it's hard to say since the card isn't released yet. Betting so heavily on a card that you know nothing concrete about has deprived you of your 30" LCD enjoyment for a year, and it didn't need to. The G80 could be another FX series flop for all we know. It might look great on paper and suck in reality.

I must admit that I am tempted to wait EVEN FURTHER for a card that comes after g80. I don't believe the card after the g80 would be far superior....rather I believe it will be a g80 refresh in a form that is much less heat generating as well as a single slot solution. That would really be a good card to get then.
But, I am about out of patience and I think the time to dip into the major monitor purchase is now. Your right about not waiting forever. So I've patiently waited and now the wait is just about over.
I think what I will be doing is buying that big overbloated g80 now and perhaps Ebaying it later to get the g80 refresh.
The thing is though....if I get the g80 now I will most likely have to also buy a new PSU and perhaps even a new pc case to fit the dang card into it.
But the monitor will be purchased before the end of the year.
That much is almost guaranteed.............almost....no guaranteed! :p

StalkerZER0 said:
I must admit that I am tempted to wait EVEN FURTHER for a card that comes after g80. I don't believe the card after the g80 would be far superior....rather I believe it will be a g80 refresh in a form that is much less heat generating as well as a single slot solution. That would really be a good card to get then.
But, I am about out of patience and I think the time to dip into the major monitor purchase is now. Your right about not waiting forever. So I've patiently waited and now the wait is just about over.
I think what I will be doing is buying that big overbloated g80 now and perhaps Ebaying it later to get the g80 refresh.
The thing is though....if I get the g80 now I will most likely have to also buy a new PSU and perhaps even a new pc case to fit the dang card into it.
But the monitor will be purchased before the end of the year.
That much is almost guaranteed.............almost....no guaranteed! :p

In your situation, I'd wait for the HP 30" or whatever is coming out tomorrow and decide on which 30" to buy. Then get your G80 as it's really close to launch time now. Only a couple three weeks away.

StalkerZER0 said:
Man I sure hope so. And I sware, if there is no info on the HP L3065 tommorow the 1st I will be.................M A D ! ! :mad:

what is 'sware' ??

that a newfangled new techie word? :D

Dan_D said:
In your situation, I'd wait for the HP 30" or whatever is coming out tomorrow and decide on which 30" to buy. Then get your G80 as it's really close to launch time now. Only a couple three weeks away.

Yup. Its looking like that is what is going to happen. :)

thenixhex311 said:
what is 'sware' ??

that a newfangled new techie word? :D

Ooopsie!! Bad spelling on my part. :D

EDIT: Actually, technically its not a mispelling. Sware is the old fashioned way of the modern spelling...swear. So I'm not gunna change my earlier post. :D

jamesavery22 said:
lol nice. Who will be the first to buy!?!?!

Not me. I want to see that review. I may end up getting the dell 3007wfp but I want to know which.
So.........SOMEONE BUY IT NOW AND REVIEW IT !!!! :mad:

EDIT: ......please? :p

StalkerZER0 said:
Not me. I want to see that review. I may end up getting the dell 3007wfp but I want to know which.
So.........SOMEONE BUY IT NOW AND REVIEW IT !!!! :mad:

EDIT: ......please? :p

Me neither. C'mon there has got to be someone here desperate enough to go and get it tomorrow!

Thanks for the CDW link--very interesting, and it's nice to see the $1900.

I recently did some google news searches on "G80" and found several Inquirer articles. Supposedly the G80 will be released Nov. 8, they hired a Playboy model for the "Geforce 8 mascot", and the chip has 700M transistors on 90nm (HUGE die :eek: ). I've noticed that every new generation of Geforce doubles the performance of the last gen, and also it seems like the first generation that supports a new DirectX isn't quite good enough to run it.

It's amazing and unfortunate that nvidia is about to launch such a widescale 90nm product, when other companies are beginning to transition to 45nm.

Back