Free Vista Business / Office 2k7 pro (part deux)

GilmourD

[H]F Junkie
With the blessing of KingKaeru, I figure that it would be a good idea to keep a thread going about the Free Vista Business and Office 2007 Pro deal that was started here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1126241

The reason I'd like to keep it open is so that we know when somebody actually receives their free gift.

Keep it nice, guys, as I think that's why the last thread got shut down.

This was a good idea. I'd like to know when someone starts getting them as well. I'm going to get rid of XP64 on my work PC, and it would be nice to know this is definitely coming.

People on the neowin forums are saying they got their office 2007 packages today. Basically its a license and a letter telling them where to download the software.

No word on vista packages yet...

Ya, office was a digital download version and vista was to come on disc.

I assume we will see it soon as newegg just listed the Business Vista OEM on their site.

Yes, but it certainly wasn't immediate. I actually forgot about it, and figured it was BS, and then the e-mail showed up.

I am supposed to get both Vista business and Office 2K7. Does Vista Business have DX10?

What will I not be able to do with Vista Business that I will not be able to do with Ulitimate?

I am supposed to get both Vista business and Office 2K7. Does Vista Business have DX10?

What will I not be able to do with Vista Business that I will not be able to do with Ulitimate?

Yes, Vista Business is pretty much fully featured with the exception of not having Media Center.

Yes, Vista Business is pretty much fully featured with the exception of not having Media Center.

But you can unlock it with the Anytime Upgrade feature. If I remember correctly, it costs $139 to go from Business to Ultimate. However, in any case, gaming will function the same under both Business and Ultimate.

Here is a cut&paste from an article in tomshardware:

Windows Vista Home Basic
The elementary version is indeed very basic. It features the Vista OS core, but doesn't come with the fancy AeroGlass interface, nor lots of other features. It is, however, sufficient if you simply want the latest operating system and its security. Instant Search and the features described earlier in this article haven't been removed. At $199, this is the cheapest version of Vista.

Windows Vista Home Premium
The premium edition is $40 more expensive than the Basic edition and comes with AeroGlass and the Windows Media Center, but it lacks some features that only come with the Business, Ultimate and Enterprise editions. DVD authoring and HDTV video quality are supported, as well as Meeting Space (the successor to NetMeeting) and Remote Desktop Client capabilities. We consider the Vista Home Premium edition a nice mixture between a Home and a Media Center Edition.

Windows Vista Business
The business version is $299 and does not feature the multimedia capabilities of the Home edition. Instead, it comes with Internet Information Server (IIS) web server, fax support, offline file support, file system encryption and support for two processor sockets.

Windows Vista Ultimate
Ultimate has everything, but it is the most expensive edition at $399. It combines everything from the versions described above.

Woot!! Just got my vista copy in the mail today!

Some details for those curious:

It came in a envelope via USPS First Class mail and was sent to the addy I submitted on the powertogether site.

Mine was shipped from Minnesota 1/22/07 (which is where I live thus why it came so fast).

It is a copy of Vista Business Edition and comes in a small colorful folder with a 32bit DVD (sorry, no 64bit version included). The folder does look different than the oem copy ones showing up on newegg, etc. though (so no idea if it is retail or oem, but I assume retail just no retail packaging).

Got to love getting vista for free! I only wish I did the office one as well :(

EDIT: Forgot to add that they gave this link in the packet as well for those that want to eventually upgrade to Ultimate (me included):
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/anytimeupgrade.mspx

Still checking my mailbox everyday...not here yet (I live in Boston, MA).:(
Too bad the upgrade to Ultimate is $140.:rolleyes:

Woot!! Just got my vista copy in the mail today!

Some details for those curious:

It came in a envelope via USPS First Class mail and was sent to the addy I submitted on the powertogether site.

Mine was shipped from Minnesota 1/22/07 (which is where I live thus why it came so fast).

It is a copy of Vista Business Edition and comes in a small colorful folder with a 32bit DVD (sorry, no 64bit version included). The folder does look different than the oem copy ones showing up on newegg, etc. though (so no idea if it is retail or oem, but I assume retail just no retail packaging).

Got to love getting vista for free! I only wish I did the office one as well :(

EDIT: Forgot to add that they gave this link in the packet as well for those that want to eventually upgrade to Ultimate (me included):
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/anytimeupgrade.mspx

Would it be possible for you to post pics of the Disc and Documentation for us to see. I am curious if it looks like the Holodisc featured on Newegg or the pics I recently saw on Engadget showing the unboxing of a full retail copy in Australia.

The disc looks like this one (the one from engadget):
http://www.engadget.com/photos/vista-home-premium-loosed-in-the-us-unboxed-in-oz/141952/

Except it has a blue center (instead of green as in the pick) and says Business. (plus does not have the acedemic stuff on it).

I would take a pick but my camera battery is dead right now.

I would think that they all would have the same disc (XP discs were all the same) so maybe the newegg photo is just off? Or it might be different...who knows!

Still checking my mailbox everyday...not here yet (I live in Boston, MA).:(
Too bad the upgrade to Ultimate is $140.:rolleyes:

I think they are mostly shipping from MN, as the other guy that got his on slickdeals was also in mn....so it should be coming soon for the rest of you!

Still, $140 is better than $299 for the retail ultimate.

I originally started this, and just forgot about until today. I went to the page, and my hopes dropped when I saw that they said they had no more available. I logged in and found out I only need to watch 2 more videos and i'm set :D

If you use the upgrade program to get Ultimate edition, it's going to be OEM license and the free Vista Business "retail" license will be nullified. So you are paying $140 to get the Ultimate software package, but you are also loosing the unlimited system transfer/reinstall retail license.

I've got my copy in mail today as well. I live in Minnesota too and it was mailed from neighbor suburb. Looks like a lot more people will be getting their copies tomorrow.
Looks good. 32bit version

If you use the upgrade program to get Ultimate edition, it's going to be OEM license and the free Vista Business "retail" license will be nullified. So you are paying $140 to get the Ultimate software package, but you are also loosing the unlimited system transfer/reinstall retail license.

But you call in and say your mobo was fried and your good to go with the switch...plus it is not even proven if it is locked to mobos yet, or if its like XP where its just *legally* locked to your mobo.

I don't see why anyone would need to upgrade anyway. I think all it's really missing is Media Center, and to be honest there are better choices for media center software anyway.

I can't wait to get my copy! Nothing in the mail today, hopefully before the weekend so I'll have something to play around with. :D

Got mine as well. In a nice CD sleeve. Figured it'd be some cheapo thing.

I live in VA

Well, my mail has already been delivered, but no dice. I'm in NJ, BTW.

Yay! I got my free copy of Windows Vista Business!!

Here are some pics:

vista1.jpg

vista2.jpg

I'm in Boston, MA

also in jersey, and no free vista for me today :(

Well, we'll have to race to see who posts that we got it first. :)

So, it looks like we're only getting 32-bit. Given that there's no appreciable difference for most users between 32-bit and 64-bit at the moment, I'm going to install it as is and see how the gaming is. I was running RC1 for quite a while until I got a new motherboard and figured that I'd install XP and wait 'til I get my free Vista to reisntall, so we'll see how the gaming is under the official release. :)

Goddamned disc is all scratched... :( Oh well

Noo!! My disc is scratched in the same place too, I just noticed that! I think the DVD's need more protection :mad:
Good thing I can still make a back up of the disc. :D

Anyone else's scratched in the same area?

Well, we'll have to race to see who posts that we got it first. :)

So, it looks like we're only getting 32-bit. Given that there's no appreciable difference for most users between 32-bit and 64-bit at the moment, I'm going to install it as is and see how the gaming is. I was running RC1 for quite a while until I got a new motherboard and figured that I'd install XP and wait 'til I get my free Vista to reisntall, so we'll see how the gaming is under the official release. :)

I'm not 100% sure, but word is that the CD key will work for the 64-bit version too, and you can call MS and get the 64-bit install on DVD if you want to pay an additional shipping charge.

Or you could grab the 64-bit version... somewhere... and use your CD key.

I'm not 100% sure, but word is that the CD key will work for the 64-bit version too, and you can call MS and get the 64-bit install on DVD if you want to pay an additional shipping charge.

Or you could grab the 64-bit version... somewhere... and use your CD key.

its so much cooler to have a real purdy copy, i'd fork over some bling for a a real cd over grand theft vista.

Aren't they shipping you a CD-Key sticker for that and telling you to download it?

Dont think I've read that anywhere, should be a full install afaik.

Back