Virginia Tech Shootings

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Associate Press has breaking news on the Virginia Tech shootings. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.

A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history, government officials told The Associated Press.

Up to 31 now.

This is pretty fucked up. I don't understand where people (wait, I should say Savage Animals) come up with the justification for this.

there are some very messed up people out there. This almost makes me want to get a concealed weapons permit.

What a horrible tragedy.

I wonder what will happen if they found out the shooter is a fan of FPS gaming or GTA series.

I can't get in contact with my friend who goes there :(

We have readers / friends at Virginia Tech too. I thought it was important to post this so maybe we can all check in with the people we know. I don't know what the hell is wrong with people lately and all this school shooting stuff :(

there are some very messed up people out there. This almost makes me want to get a concealed weapons permit.

What a horrible tragedy.

A concealed weapons permit does you no good, as you can't carry a gun on any school property, this includes colleges.

From the reports I've bee reading, he wen there looking for his girlfriend, then lined people up a class room and opened fire on them

What a loser!!!

Damnit, this makes me so angry that i cant conceal carry on a public college campus... If just one of those people had been trained and allowed to carry...

What a horrible tragedy.

A concealed weapons permit does you no good, as you can't carry a gun on any school property, this includes colleges.

From the reports I've bee reading, he wen there looking for his girlfriend, then lined people up a class room and opened fire on them

What a loser!!!

Did I say I wanted to carry one to a college campus? :rolleyes:

Did I say I wanted to carry one to a college campus? :rolleyes:

What good is it going to do you? You can not act as an agent of the law enforcement. Concealed permits are for defense... running to your car and back to the scene is hardly defense.

Not arguing, just stating from what we have read.

This is an extremely tragic event. I'm certainly more pissed right now than anything else. I'm pissed they didn't do anything sooner. 2 hours, and another place on campus is shot up? Then again, how do you react to a shooting? There are some really screwed up people in this world.

Flyingcrazy said:

Just like the guy who drove his truck into a diner in Texas, and proceeded to shoot people until he was out of ammo. One of the people who survived later became a congresswoman in Texas. She had a permit, but she had to leave her gun in her car in order to be in adherence with the law. Had she had it on her, it's very likely less people would have died.

How many more of these things have to happen before lawmakers realize that letting people carry weapons would just guarantee that the people with intent to murder won't be the only ones with the ability to choose whether someone lives or dies? :mad:

Those shooters broke the law...you cant carry weapons on VT campus.....oh wait...crimnals and crazy people dont obey laws. I feel horrible for the familes that just lost there children to this guy.

Just an FYI:

31stGun bill gets shot down by panel
HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.
By Greg Esposito
381-1675

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming
laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the
bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents,
students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.

Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus. The legislation was designed to prohibit
public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The legislation allowed for exceptions for participants in athletic events, storage of guns in residence halls and military training programs.

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the
Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.

In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities.

Jack Thompson the moron was just on Fox News. Instantly blamed video games and went off on a five to ten minute tirade on video games.

All gun law debates aside, the fault lies with the perpetrator of the crime. The most important thing now is support for the friends and family of VT students and faculty.

What good is it going to do you? You can not act as an agent of the law enforcement. Concealed permits are for defense... running to your car and back to the scene is hardly defense.

Not arguing, just stating from what we have read.

Great mind reading Ockie. Exactly. For defense...if someone comes in shooting at my work or when I'm walking around shopping with my wife, I'd much rather have a fighting chance. So it WILL do me good.

I know a bunch of people down at Virginia Tech... honestly, this is a terrible terrible situation.

Thankfully, those of which i know there, all have late monday classes, so none were in any danger.

Have they confirmed what the motive was and who this guy was, or how he was connected to VT or anything.

:( pretty shitty

What a horrible tragedy.

What a loser!!!

VA has no law against CCW on universities/college campuses. Only K-12...it is only university policy. The complete VA law on schools is as follows

"It is unlawful to carry any firearm during school hours in any elementary, junior high, or high school, or on such school property or discharge a firearm on school grounds or within 1,000 feet of school property, except as part of the curriculum or other school-sponsored program of any organization permitted by the school. Firearms may be possessed in a vehicle if unloaded and locked in a closed container or vehicle trunk.
Any person with a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun onto school property while in a vehicle to drop off or pick up a child, only if that person remains in the vehicle with the handgun completely concealed."

Notice they specifically mention the K-12 facilities and not universities (other states that DO have such a ban specifically mention universities...)

Hopefully through this tragedy that something good will happen, something to help prevent this in future. It sad that it always takes multiple tragedies to open eyes lets just hope this US record doesn’t have to be beat before something is done.

world gone crazy.
prayers out to those with family members involved in this senseless violence.
if there were no guns.....anywhere......

My sister goes to grad school there I am so glad to find out she is ok, my heart goes out to all the families effected by this.

I think if people were allowed to carry concealed weapons anywhere then things like VT shootings would be minimize or not happen at all. If you see a crazy person starting to shoot people and could react in time to shoot back at the gunmen then the shootings might stop considering you won the gunfight. I don't care what people say it's self-defense even if you had to go to you car to get the gun and come back to the scene to shoot the nut job. It my not be your self-defense, but you would be defending others. It might give some of these crazies something to think about if there was a possibility that others might be armed and return to fire is a good possibility.

I think if people were allowed to carry concealed weapons anywhere then things like VT shootings would be minimize or not happen at all. If you see a crazy person starting to shoot people and could react in time to shoot back at the gunmen then the shootings might stop considering you won the gunfight. I don't care what people say it's self-defense even if you had to go to you car to get the gun and come back to the scene to shoot the nut job. It my not be your self-defense, but you would be defending others. It might give some of these crazies something to think about if there was a possibility that others might be armed and return to fire is a good possibility.

I dont think you understand the complications with something like that. You have 26 thousand people at VaTech. You don't just allow people to carry concealed weapons on college campuses. Its just not something you do and it will never happen.

Although it is a shame that no one atleast tried to put up a fight to the shooter before 32 people faced what seems a certain death

Well allowing people to carry concealed weapons anywhere goes back to the wild west. These laws are in place for a reason. And I doubt any college is going to allow it's students to carry guns to class.

This is just a tragic fact of society.

Found this piece on the net:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=67f_1176750363&p=1

and this,

SKY NEWS: Witnesses said he was heavily armed and entered the college looking for his girlfriend... He reportedly lined up students and opened fire at them. He was said to be an Asian, in his mid-20s...

If this is another one of those "i'm killing some people cause my grades suck or over a woman.. Damn.. What a loser!!!

I work in Baltimore Maryland and people around me in the office were talking about this morning.
Apparently the son of a guy who works two cubes down from me goes to that college and lives
in the dorm next to the one that got all shot up.

That is all I have to say about this.

This is sickening. I wish someone had been able to gang up on the shooter and kill him before he got that many people.

At least he is dead. Saves us having to pay for him to sit on death from with cable tv and "rights" for tjhe next 20 years.....

if there were no guns.....anywhere......

Get all the people who have illegal guns to give them up first, then we'll talk.

You don't just allow people to carry concealed weapons on college campuses. Its just not something you do and it will never happen.

Why not? So far, the only people on campus with guns have been those who intended to commit mass murder. Why would you need to worry about the rest?

Get all the people who have illegal guns to give them up first, then we'll talk.

Why not? So far, the only people on campus with guns have been those who intended to commit mass murder. Why would you need to worry about the rest?

It's not going to happen thats all im saying

This is sickening. I wish someone had been able to gang up on the shooter and kill him before he got that many people.

I dunno. No one in college (except maybe professors) can function before noon. :p

I can't even fathom trudging to class, taking a seat, and some guy with a gun stumbles in. It's unimaginably absurd. I could throw up. I graduated from college last year, and I'm only a couple states away. All I can think about is my girlfriend or my friends still in school having this happen to them. How can someone first have the idea to do this, and actually carry it out?

Video games my ass. This stemmed from something wrong in the head.

I'm simply sick over this... I can't understand why things like this happen....it just makes no fucking sense at all.

Makes me want to start on my underground bunker/armory even sooner.

You and me both. I am trying to convince my wife to let me buy an old communications vault built back in the 1960s as a nuclear war proof comms center

Jack Thompson is retarded. Anything he says can be transposed to movies, books, cartoons, comic books, etc...

The media is capitalizing and emphasizing some of our society problems by concentrating on one event at a time. They don't ask for the truth they just exploit the current event like a reality show and this ends up creating a soap like story. Look at what happened to Imus, that guy didn't say anything worst than what Rappers sing about everyday and get awards for it!!! He was an easy target helped by the outrage fueled by media and political agenda.

We are just followers and buy in to these media tactics never to publicly and firmly express our global understanding of the often much bigger problem.

Instead, even the authorities (lacrosse players?) need to find the quickest and easiest scapegoat. What does that tell us of our society? We are confused, manipulated and most of all ruled by idiots with no balls.

The solution? Eradicate all video games. I am sure we'll find another scapegoat to blame for the next rampage.

Back