Stalker: Huh?

dirtypop

Limp Gawd
I've been playing this game for a few weeks off and on. I like it, but it's not really keeping my attention as well as it could because it's really effing hard. I don't understand it. I think I might be playing it wrong or something:

Going from scenario to scenario, I die like every 3-5 minutes, then I load my game and repeat over and over until I (barely) make it through and on to the next thing. Then I get instantly killed again.

I feel the same way about this game as I would about a game that's crashing or bluescreening every 5 minutes: I like it and I want to play it and enjoy it, but it's not letting me.

Are there any console codes I can put in to get some more ammo or better armor or something? Are those artifacts supposed to be giving me powers that give me an advantage? Is there some good weapon I haven't found yet?

I really think I'm not playing this game right... somebody help me out! :confused:

Once you get a shotgun from the bandits... go back to the town you start out in, and go to the right. It's a soldier camp. Grief the fuck out of the soldiers and eventually you can kill one if you duck/strafe enough (Tip: you don't have to be real close to kill them even with shotgun).

Now you have a good gun.. enjoy the game :D

Now you have a good gun.. enjoy the game :D

I've already got 4 assault rifles that seem pretty badass. Problem is it takes 30 hits to kill a guy or a zombie or a creature, if, IF I can even manage to hit them.

Get armor and a good gun.

Don't go nuts saving money, you don't need much. You can find most of it.

Once you can, use the endurance artifacts and run ahead to more advanced areas. Backstab some neutrals or friendlies who have good armor and a gun, and you're set through the next area.

Get armor and a good gun.

Don't go nuts saving money, you don't need much. You can find most of it.

Once you can, use the endurance artifacts and run ahead to more advanced areas. Backstab some neutrals or friendlies who have good armor and a gun, and you're set through the next area.

This game sounds really realistic...

There is a stalker suit in the little town you start out in. You have to climb the building next to the guy who gives you your first assignment. From there you sprint-jump to the building closer to the exit to the town (by the entrance out on the road). Climb around to the back side, and there should be a crate you can see through a break in the roof. Shoot it, knife it, etc. and if you maneuver correctly, you should be able to pick it up. Your welcome :D

I found the difficulty to be almost the best part, in that sense its realistic. I hate those FPS games where I can basically sleep through them without any risk or challenge.

"oh no, the truck have started to move!" "oh no, the bullets that are raining down on me hurt a bit." *bang* "done."

And that exploring pays off. The bluescreens really bug me though.

I had a lot of trouble as well. Aiming down the sights, even at relatively close range, I couldn't seem to hit a fucking thing. I mean, the weapons at the start aren't great, but at times it's just fucking ridiculous... By the time I got close enough to hit someone with an AK74U, I may as well be using a knife.

Apparently it's a bug - there's a modifier value for bullet dispersion when aiming, and it's positive instead of negative. That is, it makes things worse rather than better. But it's not too hard to fix.

Take a look at the start of this guide. You want to extract actor.ltx and put it in \STALKER\gamedata\config\creatures\. Open it with Notepad, find "disp_aim", and put a "-" in front of the number. Follow the last step in the guide and you should be good to go.

^ Good to know.
I gave up on the game after a few days of dying left and right. It seems that I'd encounter 5-10 bad guys here and there and by the time I finally managed to quicksave kill them all...they'd respawn and the process would begin again. I'd have a guy 10-15 years away and things just wouldn't hit him. At 50+ yards it was pointless to even shoot at him...yet he'd hit me (using the same gun) as though he had a sniper scope.

There is a stalker suit in the little town you start out in. You have to climb the building next to the guy who gives you your first assignment. From there you sprint-jump to the building closer to the exit to the town (by the entrance out on the road). Climb around to the back side, and there should be a crate you can see through a break in the roof. Shoot it, knife it, etc. and if you maneuver correctly, you should be able to pick it up. Your welcome :D

I believe in the lastest update, the stalker suit was replaced by some shitty armor.

The accuracy of all the weapons completely sucks. Head shots were near impossible unless point-blank.

When I first tried STALKER, I did not like it at all. Visually the game was far behind for its time, and combat was extremely dull.
Side quests seemed useless and I had trouble finding out what was a side quest and what was my main quest.
And the horrible faked Russian accents was enough to make my ears bleed.
The "open ended" gameplay was anything but. It may not have been a corridor shooter, but you could not wander the entire game, infact, off the start, you are confined to what? 3 load areas.
I quit the game after a few days.

I tired out a few visual and gameplay mods a few months later but it was still the same crap.

I know STALKER was loved by many, but I found it a complete failure. What was advertised and hailed as a RPG/FPS it was absolutely not.

Jeez, do people just suck at videogames these days? I thought it was challenging, but had no problems with it. Get in cover, lean out, aim for the head. Zip over to the other side of cover to make sure the AI isn't realistically flanking you. Repeat. When outmatched: run.

You have to suspend disbelief and play it for the atmosphere, which is the one and only "good" thing about the game. Believe me, it's worth it if you enjoy the setting, but don't expect OMG KOOL MECHANICS I WANT TO SHOOT PEOPLE OPEN-ENDEDLY.

I really liked this game but it felt almost impossible at first. I managed to actually get pretty far but read on another board that the game was defaulting to the hardest difficulty for some.

I checked it and this was the problem. I backed it off 1 or 2 difficulty levels (forgot) and the game felt really easy in comparison.

It might be worth looking at.

I should add that it simply may not be for you. It takes a certain type of gamer I guess, and that's okay.

Cult classics like Bloodlines, System Shock 2, Fallout, etc. had millions of detractors as well. They are flawed jewels, so don't beat yourself up over it.

Jeez, do people just suck at videogames these days? I thought it was challenging, but had no problems with it. Get in cover, lean out, aim for the head. Zip over to the other side of cover to make sure the AI isn't realistically flanking you. Repeat.

While that makes a ton of sense...I'm aiming for the head and things just aren't hitting enemies. It's not like Crysis where people take a few shots to take down. My shots just literally aren't landing at all. It's like playing Mass Effect when you're untrained in a weapon. It's not the mechanics of the game that are hard. My guy's sights just aren't quite right.

While that makes a ton of sense...I'm aiming for the head and things just aren't hitting enemies. It's not like Crysis where people take a few shots to take down. My shots just literally aren't landing at all. It's like playing Mass Effect when you're untrained in a weapon. It's not the mechanics of the game that are hard. My guy's sights just aren't quite right.

Didn't anyone tell you? The sights are off in the game, you have to shoot 6 inches to the LEFT for anything to hit :rolleyes: :p

yeah, its definetly hard to hit things, but generally when I aimed really carefully, a headshot was a headshot and he's dead (regardless of gun).

Its sad, some people just suck at FPS'es, but instead of blaming themselves they blame the game.

I have beaten stalker 4 times, I never had a problem aiming at anyone and getting a kill, some people are just used to weak console based FPS games where shots anywhere within 6 ft of center mass is registered as a headshot.

Some guns are just worse than others, the ak74 ranks pretty low in stalker in firepower and accuracy.

I had a lot of trouble as well. Aiming down the sights, even at relatively close range, I couldn't seem to hit a fucking thing. I mean, the weapons at the start aren't great, but at times it's just fucking ridiculous... By the time I got close enough to hit someone with an AK74U, I may as well be using a knife.

Sounds pretty realistic.

Sounds pretty realistic.
Have you shot a gun?

To be fair, it doesn't get easy until you get the Vintar BC, which has repeatable drop but not a lot of spread (or maybe none at all). Until then, you have to sneak and flank to get close enough to shoot the guys. It's not like another shooter where your bullets always travel where your crosshair is pointed. It's different, so go in expecting that.

Also, make sure your armor isn't really degraded, and that you're not using artifacts that hurt your defensive abilities. Grab one that gives you more endurance and you'll be able to sprint and flank more easily.

Have you shot a gun?

To be fair, it doesn't get easy until you get the Vintar BC, which has repeatable drop but not a lot of spread (or maybe none at all). Until then, you have to sneak and flank to get close enough to shoot the guys. It's different. It's fun.

Also, make sure your armor isn't really degraded, and that you're not using artifacts that hurt your defensive abilities. Grab one that gives you more endurance and you'll be able to sprint and flank more easily.

Have you shot a gun?

Check my sig.

I actually own four guns. My favorite is my AR-15, got it outfitted with a quadrail and a vertical grip. Considering mounting an ACOG or maybe an EOTech. I also carry my 4.25" 1911 with me. I also have a FNP .40S&W. My wife has a S&W Model 66 in .357 mag.

In my experience the AKs I have shot tend to group loosely, varying a lot gun to gun. Some group decently 3-4 MOA at 100 yards. Some have a hard time putting it on the paper. Thats what you get for a gun with loose specs.

Its sad, some people just suck at FPS'es, but instead of blaming themselves they blame the game.
I'm not great at FPSs, but I don't suck at them either. And I've certainly played enough of them to know when something's off...

When I'm 10 feet from someone, he's standing dead still, I'm standing dead still, I'm aiming down the sights of an assault rifle at the center of his head, and I've still only got a 30% chance of hitting him, something is definitely off. And when it's actually easier to hit him shooting from the hip than looking down the sights, I've got no problem with blaming the game...

I actually own four guns.
Okay, I thought you were being sarcastic, though at 10 yards an aimed rifle should probably just hit the guy.

Maybe err, the Nameless One (or whatever he's called, I've got Planescape: Torment on the brain) has a really bad flinch. :)

Either way, fine. But there's no need to nerd rage over it, just play the game.

Okay, I thought you were being sarcastic, though at 10 yards an aimed rifle should probably just hit the guy.

Maybe err, the Nameless One (or whatever he's called, I've got Planescape: Torment on the brain) has a really bad flinch. :)

Either way, fine. But there's no need to nerd rage over it, just play the game.

I was being sarcastic, pretty much any gun created within the last 150 years could hit a target at 10 yards, benchrested. I just have my own personal prejudices against the AK.

I too find stalker very boring and random. I've owned the game since launch and have never gona past the first mission. IMO this had soooo much potential but it just failed miserably. Stalker should have been what far cry 2 will be.

I too find stalker very boring and random. I've owned the game since launch and have never gona past the first mission.

You can't judge the game having played it so little. STALKER is far from perfect, it crashed relentlessly on my system, but it gets better than the first mission ! :D

Anyone have and fix or know how to fix the shadow glitches I'm getting? When shadows are near or behind the HUD in the bottom right, the shadows get blocky and they stretch, kind of like graphical artifacts. However, only the shadows do it, and only when they are behind the HUD. Is there a setting I need to change? I played through part of the game fine back when it was released, but since there are so many fixes in the patches, I said eff it and started over just recently.

I have beaten stalker 4 times, I never had a problem aiming at anyone and getting a kill, some people are just used to weak console based FPS games where shots anywhere within 6 ft of center mass is registered as a headshot.

Some guns are just worse than others, the ak74 ranks pretty low in stalker in firepower and accuracy.
well there are some people that like to have fun and not be completely frustrated when playing the game on easy. in STALKERS case easy is mighty damn hard for a lot of people. the fucking enemies can see you in the dark way too easy and their aim is usually spot on. I had to install a couple mods just to make the game a little easier for me. we cant all be a gold medal cyberathlete like you. ;)

Are there any ammo/all weapon cheats for this ?
go to the official forums and there are a few mods which will increase your accuracy, decrease the enemies accuracy, and let you take more damage. there probably is an all ammo/weapon mod on there too.

Anyone have and fix or know how to fix the shadow glitches I'm getting?
There's a file called user.ltx. I think changing the value of r2_sun_near_border should fix your problem. Mine ended up set to 1, but if that doesn't work for you , try fiddling around with it a bit more.

I think the file's in there somewhere after a normal install, but if not, check out my post above for how to extract, modify and load archived files.

I enjoyed STALKER, im not sure what all this whining is about, played through twice, once with freedom once with duty. The starter pistols, viper 5 machine gun, and Akm aren't that great but once you get a TRs 301 with a scope, if you are still having problems hitting enemies ... its not the game.

I enjoyed STALKER, im not sure what all this whining is about, played through twice, once with freedom once with duty. The starter pistols, viper 5 machine gun, and Akm aren't that great but once you get a TRs 301 with a scope, if you are still having problems hitting enemies ... its not the game.
well get over yourself because a lot of people find this game pretty frustrating and difficult at times. Im sure youre much better at playing games than a lot of people but that doesnt mean that cant complain about the difficulty or look for ways to lessen it. ;)

well get over yourself because a lot of people find this game pretty frustrating and difficult at times. Im sure youre much better at playing games than a lot of people but that doesnt mean that cant complain about the difficulty or look for ways to lessen it. ;)

LOL its amazing how some people can take a post so personally.
:rolleyes:

Are there any ammo/all weapon cheats for this ?

Well, I've played a little more and got past some parts that I thought were impossible. I realized that the knife can be really valuable in some situations. I was stuck in a spot where I had very little ammo and a lot of guys to get past. I just got out the knife, got the guys' (zombies') attention to draw them to me, then hid around a corner. When the guy comes around the corner, a right-click with the knife kills them and you get their ammo/health packs. I've been playing with this strategy and making some progress.

To all the people who posted tips for me, thanks. :D To all the people who were bragging about how good they are at this game, congratulations, I guess that's what you want. :rolleyes:

There's a file called user.ltx. I think changing the value of r2_sun_near_border should fix your problem. Mine ended up set to 1, but if that doesn't work for you , try fiddling around with it a bit more.

I think the file's in there somewhere after a normal install, but if not, check out my post above for how to extract, modify and load archived files.

I tired messing around with that setting, but I still get weird shadow glitches around the right half of the HUD. The shadows get streaky and line-y. I can take a screenshot of it; maybe we aren't talking about the same problem here.

Yeah, that's exactly the problem I'm talking about. I was sure that was only that setting responsible, but I guess I was wrong...

I'm positive I dug the solution out of the following user.ltx, though (courtesy of Ket on the GSC forum). There are a few nice tweaks in there, so I'd recommend giving it a try anyway.
Code:
_preset Extreme
ai_use_torch_dynamic_lights on
unbindall
bind jump kRSHIFT
bind crouch kLCONTROL
bind crouch_toggle kRCONTROL
bind accel kRMENU
bind sprint_toggle kNUMPAD0
bind forward kUP
bind back kDOWN
bind lstrafe kLEFT
bind rstrafe kRIGHT
bind llookout kL
bind rlookout kSEMICOLON
bind cam_zoom_in kADD
bind cam_zoom_out kSUBTRACT
bind torch kDECIMAL
bind night_vision kNUMPAD1
bind wpn_1 k1
bind wpn_2 k2
bind wpn_3 k3
bind wpn_4 k4
bind wpn_5 k5
bind wpn_6 k6
bind artefact k7
bind wpn_next kNUMPAD4
bind wpn_fire mouse1
bind wpn_zoom mouse3
bind wpn_reload mouse2
bind wpn_func mouse5
bind wpn_firemode_prev k9
bind wpn_firemode_next mouse4
bind pause kPAUSE
bind drop kG
bind use kRETURN
bind scores kTAB
bind chat kCOMMA
bind chat_team kPERIOD
bind screenshot kF12
bind quit kESCAPE
bind console kGRAVE
bind inventory kBACK
bind buy_menu kB
bind skin_menu kO
bind team_menu kU
bind active_jobs kP
bind map kM
bind contacts kH
bind vote_begin kF5
bind vote kF6
bind vote_yes kF7
bind vote_no kF8
bind speech_menu_0 kC
bind speech_menu_1 kZ
bind use_bandage kNUMPAD2
bind use_medkit kNUMPAD3
bind quick_save kF6
bind quick_load kF7
cam_inert 0.
cam_slide_inert 0.25
cl_cod_pickup_mode 1
cl_dynamiccrosshair on
g_always_run on
g_autopickup on
g_backrun on
g_corpsenum 10
g_eventdelay 0
g_game_difficulty gd_stalker
hud_crosshair on
hud_crosshair_dist off
hud_info on
hud_weapon on
load_last_save shit
mm_mm_net_srv_dedicated off
mm_net_con_publicserver off
mm_net_con_spectator 20
mm_net_con_spectator_on off
mm_net_filter_empty on
mm_net_filter_full on
mm_net_filter_listen on
mm_net_filter_pass on
mm_net_filter_wo_ff on
mm_net_filter_wo_pass on
mm_net_srv_gamemode st_deathmatch
mm_net_srv_maxplayers 32
mm_net_srv_name PROWLER
mm_net_srv_reinforcement_type 1
mm_net_weather_rateofchange 1.
mouse_invert off
mouse_sens 0.35
net_cl_icurvesize 0
net_cl_icurvetype 0
net_cl_interpolation 0.
net_cl_log_data off
net_dbg_dump_export_obj 0
net_dbg_dump_import_obj 0
net_dbg_dump_update_read 0
net_dbg_dump_update_write 0
net_dedicated_sleep 5
net_sv_gpmode 0
net_sv_log_data off
net_sv_pending_lim 3
net_sv_update_rate 30
ph_frequency 100.00000
ph_iterations 38
r1_dlights on
r1_dlights_clip 75.
r1_glows_per_frame 8
r1_lmodel_lerp 0.1
r1_pps_u 0.
r1_pps_v 0.
r1_ssa_lod_a 90.
r1_ssa_lod_b 60.
r1_tf_mipbias -0.5
r2_aa off
r2_aa_break 0.800000,0.500000,0.000000
r2_aa_kernel 0.5
r2_aa_weight 0.250000,0.250000,0.000000
r2_allow_r1_lights off
r2_gi off
r2_gi_clip 0.0421
r2_gi_depth 1
r2_gi_photons 10
r2_gi_refl 0.4
r2_gloss_factor 1.1
r2_ls_bloom_fast on
r2_ls_bloom_kernel_b 0.65
r2_ls_bloom_kernel_g 3.
r2_ls_bloom_kernel_scale 0.8
r2_ls_bloom_speed 100.
r2_ls_bloom_threshold 0.55
r2_ls_depth_bias -0.0001
r2_ls_depth_scale 1.00001
r2_ls_dsm_kernel 1.1
r2_ls_psm_kernel 1.1
r2_ls_squality 1.
r2_ls_ssm_kernel 1.1
r2_mblur 0.3
r2_parallax_h 0.04
r2_slight_fade 2.
r2_ssa_lod_a 90.
r2_ssa_lod_b 60.
r2_sun on
r2_sun_depth_far_bias 0.
r2_sun_depth_far_scale 1.
r2_sun_depth_near_bias -0.00004
r2_sun_depth_near_scale 1.00001
r2_sun_details on
r2_sun_focus on
r2_sun_lumscale 0.86
r2_sun_lumscale_amb 0.86
r2_sun_lumscale_hemi 0.8
r2_sun_near 25.
r2_sun_near_border 0.85
r2_sun_tsm on
r2_sun_tsm_bias -0.05
r2_sun_tsm_proj 0.5
r2_tf_mipbias -0.5
r2_tonemap on
r2_tonemap_adaptation 5.
r2_tonemap_amount 0.5
r2_tonemap_lowlum 0.7
r2_tonemap_middlegray 1.4
r2_wait_sleep 0
r2_zfill off
r2_zfill_depth 0.5
r2em 2.2
r__detail_density 0.2
r__geometry_lod 1.
r__supersample 1
r__tf_aniso 8
renderer renderer_r2
rs_c_brightness 1.1
rs_c_contrast 1.
rs_c_gamma 1.1
rs_fullscreen on
rs_refresh_60hz off
rs_stats off
rs_v_sync off
rs_vis_distance 1.5
snd_acceleration on
snd_cache_size 32
snd_efx on
snd_targets 30
snd_volume_eff 1.
snd_volume_music 0.7
sv_anomalies_enabled 1
sv_anomalies_length 3
sv_artefact_respawn_delta 30
sv_artefact_spawn_force 0
sv_artefact_stay_time 3
sv_artefacts_count 10
sv_auto_team_balance 0
sv_auto_team_swap 1
sv_bearercantsprint 1
sv_client_reconnect_time 60
sv_console_update_rate 1
sv_dedicated_server_update_rate 100
sv_dmgblockindicator 1
sv_dmgblocktime 0
sv_forcerespawn 0
sv_fraglimit 10
sv_friendly_indicators 0
sv_friendly_names 0
sv_friendlyfire 1.
sv_hail_to_winner_time 7
sv_max_ping_limit 2000
sv_pda_hunt 1
sv_reinforcement_time 0
sv_remove_corpse 1
sv_remove_weapon 1
sv_returnplayers 1
sv_rpoint_freeze_time 0
sv_shieldedbases 1
sv_spectr_firsteye 1
sv_spectr_freefly 0
sv_spectr_freelook 1
sv_spectr_lookat 1
sv_spectr_teamcamera 1
sv_statistic_collect 1
sv_statistic_save_auto 0
sv_teamkill_limit 3
sv_teamkill_punish 1
sv_timelimit 0
sv_vote_enabled 255
sv_vote_participants 0
sv_vote_quota 0.51
sv_vote_time 1.
sv_warm_up 0
texture_lod 0
vid_mode 1280x1024

The game only gets better as you go on...better guns...sights (big thing in this game) and of course better armor and artifacts. I cant wate for Clear Sky's :D

Back