Stalker: Huh?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHRRRRRGGGG!!!!!

[whimpers] no [/whimpers]

lolwut.jpg

The good thing about getting to the real endings, is that you get to play that last additional level. :cool:

The good thing about getting to the real endings, is that you get to play that last additional level. :cool:

True. However - I was expecting a slightly bigger final fight that the few guys in the exo-skeletons. Were quite easy - aim for the head! :D btw - that was on the 2nd easiest difficulty.

[H]ard
hardcore
harder
easy

The harder difficulties for the older versions of the game were just ridiculous. The only thing that happened was that the spawn rate was jacked up sky high. When I played through on the hardest level, there were corpses EVERYWHERE. Just piles of bodies all around. You could never carry enough ammo to gun down everyone, so the game comes down to constantly running the entire time.

Stalker is much more fun and realistic to play on the regular difficulties.

Beat the game with 7900GS. Playing again with new vga. The game is awesome.

Beat the game with 7900GS. Playing again with new vga. The game is awesome.

You got an nvidia card, you can enable full dynamic lighting w/o the kind of hit that you would take with an ATi card. I beat the game twice in DX8 maxed out AA and AF doing 150fps, because in full dynamic lighting, getting 20 or 30 fps, then when the thunderstorms would come, would cripple my FPS.

I look at stalker with all the settings cranked up will full dynamic lighting on my brothers box with his 8800GTS at 1680x1050 its just a whole different feel, DX8 makes the game look bland for lack of a better word.

One thing everyone seems to not take into account is just how much wear and tear affects the guns accuracy. For instance when I first got the fast firing AK with a scope it was a headshot MACHINE for the first 100 rounds, after that not so much until it became useless after 500-600 rounds. Keep in mind the wear meter was only down one click of green from the top.

I always carried one long range pristine rifle with a scope for long range work and a 5.56 full auto for the close stuff to keep the wear down. I always bought new guns whenever possible and learned the way each gun kicks then your golden. Oh yah, crouch.

Oh and the "real" ending was the best damn thing about this game period, seriously intense and fun on "hard" mode. If you took the time to learn the game dont sell yourself short.

And the ^^^^ LOL WUT made me ROTFLMFAO

hahaha

-dave

...then when the thunderstorms would come, would cripple my FPS.
I think this might be a x1950pro-specific issue. When I was trying to find a solution, everyone having this problem seemed to be running the same card (and people running different cards reported no FPS drop whatsoever during lightning strikes).

I think this might be a x1950pro-specific issue. When I was trying to find a solution, everyone having this problem seemed to be running the same card (and people running different cards reported no FPS drop whatsoever during lightning strikes).

You see, this x1950pro is cursed, everyone told me it was a better buy than the 7900GS, everyone including myself was convinced, and look what happens.

You see, this x1950pro is cursed, everyone told me it was a better buy than the 7900GS, everyone including myself was convinced, and look what happens.

One game? Woe is you... too bad it seems to be one of your favorites :p

dirtypop, I'd congratulate you for finishing the game, but I think you've discovered how much fun it is on your own!

My eyes bugged out the first time Chernobyl had a blowoff. I ran behind some concrete beams like a little girl. :)

dirtypop, I'd congratulate you for finishing the game, but I think you've discovered how much fun it is on your own!

My eyes bugged out the first time Chernobyl had a blowoff. I ran behind some concrete beams like a little girl. :)

I haven't played that far... man I gotta get back into this game.

See, I cringe every time I post my love of the game and someone says "gee I'll have to put the time into it then" because I worry they won't fall in the niche and they'll be really bitter about it.

So tread carefully. :)

See, I cringe every time I post my love of the game and someone says "gee I'll have to put the time into it then" because I worry they won't fall in the niche and they'll be really bitter about it.

So tread carefully. :)

haha Don't worry, from what I played I liked, I've been playing FPS games for YEARS... I think the first one was Dark Forces. I played STALKER to the part where... I think I was just about to go down into an underground sewer type place, after fighting a ton of guys off at a large complex. I think I was scared of seeing something jump out at me and mutanish :p so I stopped playing there and never got the time to play it again... or started playing something else.

I recently started playing System Shock 2 though, I love those oldschool games, so I have a feeling STALKER is going to hold a nice place in my heart :D

Sooo...

Anyone know about when Clear Sky comes out? :D

Just reflecting back on that blowoff sequence: the engine did some really cool things with colors. The creepy brain melt sequences and blowoff gave a really neat effect that you don't see in other engines.

Sooo...

Anyone know about when Clear Sky comes out? :D

Soon... soon... BUT NOT FUCKING SOON ENOUGH!!!!!! :D

Just reflecting back on that blowoff sequence: the engine did some really cool things with colors. The creepy brain melt sequences and blowoff gave a really neat effect that you don't see in other engines.

Yeah - some of the effects actually make you feel a bit weird!

Most people just don't know how to play games like Crysis and STALKER. You can't just run around shooting everything and always hitting. This isn't Quake 3. Hide behind objects and walls and don't expect to snipe people and get one-hit-kills with pistols. Play smart.
No doubt. But honestly, you can get maybe 2 or 3 hit kills with the pistol.;)

YES! OKAY! I finally beat the game. I'm beginning to see what y'all were talking about. The guns in the beginning were definitely gimped. You don't get the goods til right at the end...
Yes, the guns got better as you go along but honestly, I was good to go with the pistol. Played the game on the hardest setting a died a little on the first level but no much ater that. For me the trick was use cover, always shot from a stationary position preferably crouched and then find cover. Rinse, repeat. Whenever possible take a position from above. The last push to the reactor got a little tough with Helio and all those damn soldeirs but once you are in the reactor it and the last level for the good ending was pure cake.

I am looking forward to a sequel.

man i remember having to go straight rambo on the first military group you battle under the bridge and traintracks, using my pistol and knife only. this game is designed to be hard, you really will start to love it and get a great sense of acomplishment once you get good at it and understand the AI

I really enjoyed the "mind fuck" effect that the one mutant could do. The one that sent your vision speeding towards it. In addition you got progressively more woozy the more the mutant was able to do it to you.

No doubt. But honestly, you can get maybe 2 or 3 hit kills with the pistol.;)

Well, there IS a similar pistol to the Desert Eagle which fires sniper rounds. I just could not let myself use it... I mean SNIPER rounds in a pistol.... I would rather get mah headshots!:D

Yes, the guns got better as you go along but honestly, I was good to go with the pistol. Played the game on the hardest setting a died a little on the first level but no much ater that. For me the trick was use cover, always shot from a stationary position preferably crouched and then find cover. Rinse, repeat. Whenever possible take a position from above. The last push to the reactor got a little tough with Helio and all those damn soldeirs but once you are in the reactor it and the last level for the good ending was pure cake.

I am looking forward to a sequel.

Well, I don't like calling things "easy as cake" or just "easy" but yes the last level was not too hard I guess.

I really enjoyed the "mind fuck" effect that the one mutant could do. The one that sent your vision speeding towards it. In addition you got progressively more woozy the more the mutant was able to do it to you.

I smiled at that post. :p Yeah - the effects are quite good.

That was def the coolest critter in the game, but the one that turned invisible scared the crap out of me the first time it got me.

You're making me want to buy this game... and I already have a couple of great games I haven't gotten much through yet :D! Got a question though... is it scary like FEAR, or not very scary? I honestly didn't enjoy FEAR even just in the demo :eek: .

That was def the coolest critter in the game, but the one that turned invisible scared the crap out of me the first time it got me.
Was that in the underground tunnel when you were on your way to the Strelok hideout and had the army there?

You're making me want to buy this game... and I already have a couple of great games I haven't gotten much through yet :D! Got a question though... is it scary like FEAR, or not very scary? I honestly didn't enjoy FEAR even just in the demo :eek: .
It's scary, much scarier than FEAR IMO. However, it's not scary "in the same way". The atmosphere in some of the underground missions can be absolutely amazing.

STALKER could be described like some of the hardcore war simulations, like ArmA I guess, mixed with a bit of MoH and CoD... well actually I don't know - it's a very and truly unique game. Just buy it! :D

FEAR is a Japanese horror movie type scary, its very polished, its high tech, the plot is cut and dry.

Stalker, is hell on earth, but instead of fire, theirs radiation, and its been sitting in the elements rusting and decaying for the past 25 years, and it has turned into a safe haven for all types of criminal, their are no laws, the only person you can trust is your gun.

Its a warzone, and an island with no water surrounding it, its cut off from the rest of the world, but its a world all its own, a world which is in a never ending stalemate, and can explode at any miniute, in more than one way.

I didn't find FEAR at all scary, but I nearly shat in Stalker. It's that sort of 'scary'.

FEAR = Things jumping out at you going "boo" at predictable moments.
Stalker = A persistent sense of malaise and unsettlement brought about by brilliant sound design and a sense of atmosphere, with things scuttling around in the dark, and you thinking they're going to go "boo" but never being quite sure when.

And then they jump out at you going "ARGHAGRAHRGARGRAGHAR" and you piss your pants and run away, whilst firing madly at it to make it stop.

I didn't find FEAR at all scary, but I nearly shat in Stalker. It's that sort of 'scary'.

FEAR = Things jumping out at you going "boo" at predictable moments.
Stalker = A persistent sense of malaise and unsettlement brought about by brilliant sound design and a sense of atmosphere, with things scuttling around in the dark, and you thinking they're going to go "boo" but never being quite sure when.

And then they jump out at you going "ARGHAGRAHRGARGRAGHAR" and you piss your pants and run away, whilst firing madly at it to make it stop.

Sounds just about right.

STALKER was just plain wicked good fun.
I think I went through it three times, and it was better each time.:D

STALKER was just plain wicked good fun.
I think I went through it three times, and it was better each time.:D

Well, try 3.5 times for me! HA! Well, I'm not sure actually, but it's over 3 times for sure... :cool::D

...and it did get better every time I played through it too!

Was that in the underground tunnel when you were on your way to the Strelok hideout and had the army there?

Yup. You head down a long hallway, hear a roar, and he comes from behind.

Has anyone tried any of the many mods available? I am playing the amk 1.4 right now. Its a completely different game. They added all the content that was cut out. Lots of other changes in balance and realism. New mutants, weapons, weather, and a blowout system(its like a nuclear thunderstorm). You can have your gun shot out of your hands,too.

Anyway I was really amazed how the modding community has taken to the game and the sdk still isnt out.

The game sounds frightening... I'll remember to bring an extra change of panties when I start it up again.

Question: Do you guys play with any mods? There are quite a few now.

@Citezen86
Oblivion lost, abc inferno, and amk are the biggest and most popular mods. There are a ton more that change just a few things with the game

@Citezen86
Oblivion lost, abc inferno, and amk are the biggest and most popular mods. There are a ton more that change just a few things with the game
I could not install the Oblivion Lost mod on my version of STALKER, it's a Russian version, but still... :(
Yup. You head down a long hallway, hear a roar, and he comes from behind.
mmmmhhh - that's the one.

I think I can say this without spoiling anything: the scariest part of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was in one underground lab when there were absolutely no enemies for about 20 minutes. :) I tip-toed every step of the way.

Well, there IS a similar pistol to the Desert Eagle which fires sniper rounds. I just could not let myself use it... I mean SNIPER rounds in a pistol.... I would rather get mah headshots!:D
Nah, I was talking the first pistol. I think folks that had problems with it just weren't using cover and taking the time to aim.

By the time you start getting assualt rifles with scopes, the challenge drops big time.

Well, I don't like calling things "easy as cake" or just "easy" but yes the last level was not too hard I guess.
Ok, how about "cupcakes"? My main point being the game even on the hardest setting was not as hard as a lot people whinned. To be honest, I was amazed at the choirs crying about how difficult the game was supposed to be.

Nah, I was talking the first pistol. I think folks that had problems with it just weren't using cover and taking the time to aim.

By the time you start getting assualt rifles with scopes, the challenge drops big time.

Yeah I understood that you meant the first pistol - just pointed out that there is a cannon-pistol in the game too. :p

Ok, how about "cupcakes"? My main point being the game even on the hardest setting was not as hard as a lot people whinned. To be honest, I was amazed at the choirs crying about how difficult the game was supposed to be.[/QUOTE]
Well - it was quite hard in some places time to time after you get the ARs.

Back