What's the best Single Player FPS?

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
What would you guys say is the best Single Player FPS?

I haven't gotten through all of it but I would say Crysis.

Single player?

well, I can tell you now, there will be a flood of stupid Half-Life 2 sheep coming in here real soon.....

but anyway, my pick goes to.... Half-Life 2 :D

I'd have to say Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay. You can see your hands when you turn valves and Riddick is a character with personality. Valve might want to check that out.

1) Half Life 2, Ep1, Ep2
2) Bioshock
3) ummm...
4) I really need to try Cod4 and Crysis
5) I'll get back to you

Half Life 2 (and expansions)
Crysis
Doom 3
FEAR
CoD4

Probably others but those are pretty good...I've also heard No One Lives Forever is somewhat of a classic but I never gave it a try and I imagine the engine is pretty dated at this point.

1) Half-Life series
2) Deus Ex
3) No One Lives Forever series
4) Crysis

And others I'm forgetting right now.

I wont cover ones already mentioned, here are a few more in no particular order:
Rainbow Six Vegas
Call of Juarez
Medal of Honor Airbourne

and Sniper Elite, a quite old game but really good if you are into sneaky shootem-ups.

Crysis, with realism mod and CCC new time of day mod. On delta difficulty! Its amazing and fun! has not gotten old just yet. just no time to play it.

Someone already mentioned it, but if you like single player FPS, you MUST play Chronicles of Riddick. Its right behind HL2 + Eps for me in terms of SP FPS, its just so atmospheric and the pacing is excellent. I'd also recommend checking out Prey, it has a couple of "gimmicks" that keeps the game somewhat fresh (watch out for huge vaginas though).

I would suggest Dreamfall: The Longest Journey too.

That's an adventure game, but otherwise I'd agree with you.

As far as best SP FPS game, someone already beat me to it as well, Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay.

I'd have to say Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay. You can see your hands when you turn valves and Riddick is a character with personality. Valve might want to check that out.

agreed, awesome game.

Half-Life(not 2), the HL2 episodes are good too. Portal is awesome. Riddick kind of flew under the radar, but it's one of the most fun and best-looking games of the past few years. Painkiller and the Serious Sam series(including 2, although some people don't like it) are great if you want a game that just has a ton of enemies to mow down. FEAR has some of the best AI I've ever seen in a game, and was really fun. I still play the multiplayer as well, which was a fairly overlooked aspect of the game until it was released as a free stand-alone game

There are a ton more single-player PC games that I consider to be among the best, but I can't list them all here.

As cookie cutter as it may be, the two games/series I have enjoyed over the years for the single player aspect have been Half Life 1/2/Episodes and Call Of Duty++++. I don't know what it is but I was really drawn into it. Probably the story in HL amongst other things and atmosphere in CoD.

Call of Duty 4 was thrilling and I still play it. I agree with those recommending Riddick: Butcher Bay. I thought it was the best FPS of 2004. As for an all-time classic FPS, you can't do better than Deus Ex or the original Half-Life.

Good question. I am older guy who remembers playing Doom in high school. Doom/Quake where innovative for the time but they are pretty stale format today. I would say the original HL, Portal and Far Cry (mostly for the graphics, environment & game play). I played Deus Ex but for some reason I can't remember it very well. Other than those games nothing else I played really leaps out at me as a best game.

Crysis, with realism mod and CCC new time of day mod. On delta difficulty! Its amazing and fun! has not gotten old just yet. just no time to play it.

That mod is AMAZING!
Crysis feels like a new game, the Time of Day mod on top of the performance increase AND Ultra High graphics.
Wow!
I've been playing it since your post :D

For anyone who wants to give it a go
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999

For comparison
Running E8400@4GHz, 4GB ram, 8800GT
1280x1024 res timedemo just short of 50fps and it looks gorgeous!!
Super smooth in game :)

ps dont bother using level 5, I only got 22fps
This thread cant be the first mention of it here surely? Its been out 2 weeks.

thanks hadn't played crysis in a while but looks like this week is going to be all about crysis

That mod is AMAZING!
Crysis feels like a new game, the Time of Day mod AND Ultra High graphics.
Wow!
I've been playing it since your post :D

couldn't agree more

crymods download section has a bunch of great stuff too

http://crymod.com/filebase.php

Half-Life, Half-Life 2: Blah, blah, blah, Mr. Freeman ... :p

Deus Ex: currently working on my 6th way through, and I'm still finding new ways to complete objectives and am further expanding my knowledge of its extensive plot and dialog tree. It's brilliant in the way Lost is with an inextricably intertwined plot, full of questions and possibilities ...

1.Half life 2
2. Doom series
3. Golden Eye
4. Halo: Combat evolved

not all pc, but that's the only way I could rank them :)

Going to go old school here...

1. Return to Castle Wolfenstein (just an amazing amazing game, story wise doesn't always add up, but was the funnest FPS I can play any day like today)
2. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (again, just amazing, loved this game before it [the franchise] got lame with the whole aim down the crosshair thing, I like fun shooters, not too realistic.)

In more random order (also listing consoles I wouldn't be able to mention above)

Goldeneye 64 (Classic, could go play the single player right now and have fun.)
Turok (and maybe 2 as well. This game is the bomb, cant believe no one mentioned, do you remember those weapons!?)
Halo (2 and 3.. meh)
Dues Ex (Crates, crowbars, and robots... sums it up for me from the first level.. was really good.)
Giants: Citizen Kabuto (Amazingly fun...)
Unreal 2 (Guess it's a personal one, I really liked it, albeit short.)
Doom 3 (Was good, got old real fast.)

Have yet to play or even play through games such as Bioshock (what I did play was really good, something I'll have to continue with), Prey, COD4, etc.

Thought BF2142 etc was terrible. As with 80% of the shooters I've seen for the better part of 4 years.

Crysis was fun, until the story got lame and twisted. As did the gameplay.

Half-Life 2 including Episodes 1 & 2. Unparallel FPS genius from start to finish.

Back