What's the best Single Player FPS?

Half-Life - I still remember cackling with glee when this happened: I'm at a doorway and some soliders busted in on the other side. *hearing their radios* "Hey.. what did he just say? Fire in the ho..... oh shhhhhhiiii" *BOOM*
Fear - Creepy visuals, sounds and atmosphere... sold! The A.I. that actually seemed smart.
Half-Life 2 - Great atmosphere. Everyone looks downtrodden. Etc etc
Aliens Vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar - The one that started it all.. Heat vision! Yay!!!
AVP2 - Love the first part of the Alien campaign. Skulking around as a facehugger, looking for your victim.
The COD's are good for their atmosphere. The nuke bomb aftermath kind of made me sad in COD4 :(
Doom 1/2 - Hooked me on FPS games.
Quake 1
Duke Nukem 3D
Hexen 1/2 & Heretic
Wolf 3D ;)
Prey - just because of how the game starts out like mentioned before. "Don't Fear the Reaper" while being sucked up into an alien spacecraft? I mean... what is more perfect? Except more cowbell..
Ultima Underworld - Yes not really a FPS but... it was in first person.. and you could shoot.. so kinda. Plus it was full 3D.. or it appeared that way.

Some other ones I'm sure I'll think of later...

Half-Life 2 + episodes, Portal, CoD4.

I'm itching to play through Deus Ex right now, but I can't turn the damned mouse acceleration off in game which is making it virtually impossible for me to play.

OMG! BIOSHOCK!! This was the deepest, most insightful video game I have ever played. AMAZING environment, sounds, storyline was so intense and vast, and it was just so great... thats why it got game of the year!

And I just finished CoD4... it was very close! I loved it, especially the ending, its so cinematic and real that it really enraptures you.

And I just bought the Orange Box, but I really really loved Half-Life 2, not so much ep1. I'll see how portal and Ep. 2 turn out, but from what I hear, they are gonna be awesome...

Half life 1 & 2
portal if that counts
no one lives forever 2 (haven't played other one(s))
Fear
Chronicles of riddick is really awesome.
Condemned on xbox360

I thought it had a great story line, your AI team mates were pretty dang good for the time as well. If you have an old DOS machine it's definitely worth a look. I liked how you could change your loadout on the armor for the mission you were about to go on. If they remade this game with modern graphics I'd be all over it.

Or: http://www.dosbox.com/

Deus Ex is by far the best single player FPS ever.

Followed by Half-Life 1, Portal, and Half-Life 2 + episodes respectively.

OMG! BIOSHOCK!! This was the deepest, most insightful video game I have ever played. AMAZING environment, sounds, storyline was so intense and vast, and it was just so great... thats why it got game of the year!

If you loved Bioshock's depth, you should go back and play system shock 2 (if you can stomach the graphics) which was made by the same guys basically. It'll look ugly, but the game is still immersive and amazing.

In no particular order:

Half-Life 1
'nuff said.

Unreal
Very expansive maps/missions which allowed for extensive exploration. The atmosphere was colorful, environments were varied, and the story was engrossing. A lot of depth in the gameplay - it felt like a very well-thought out and executed game.

AVP2
Creepiest game I've ever played. The suspense is unrivaled. Playing from three perspectives, offered uniquely memorable experience.

Doom
This game defined the FPS genre.

Jedi-Knight/Dark Forces series
Star Wars+FPS - how can you go wrong. These games did a great job capturing and expanding the Star Wars universe.

People who say Crysis is the single best every FPS only care about graphics and not game play.

Tons of games said in this thread are FAR better and far more enjoyable like Serious Sam, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem, System Shock 2, Bioshock, etc etc.

Theres more to a great game than eye candy.

People who say Crysis is the single best every FPS only care about graphics and not game play.

Tons of games said in this thread are FAR better and far more enjoyable like Serious Sam, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem, System Shock 2, Bioshock, etc etc.

Theres more to a great game than eye candy.

Try Crysis with the Cuban Ultima Doom Sword's Custom Crysis Config [CCC] v1.31 mod.
It adds a new dimension to the game and looks gorgeous with higher framerate to boot.
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999&p=1

I'm replaying the game with the included Time of Day mod and it feels very different.
You end up using other tactics to solve many sections and often I dont realise where I am until a trigger happens, it feels so different.
A must have addition to Crysis.

This IS the best looking game I have seen now, hands down.

Try Crysis with the Cuban Ultima Doom Sword's Custom Crysis Config [CCC] v1.31 mod.
It adds a new dimension to the game and looks gorgeous with higher framerate to boot.
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999&p=1

I'm replaying the game with the included Time of Day mod and it feels very different.
You end up using other tactics to solve many sections and often I dont realise where I am until a trigger happens, it feels so different.
A must have addition to Crysis.

This IS the best looking game I have seen now, hands down.

I played crysis and beat crysis and was not impressed at all.

Clive Barkers Undying = Great spooky FPS
Perfect Dark = N64
Postal 1/2 = Warped but oh so much fun
Rise of the Triad
Turok

Best Video game story line EVER! I never played it, but my brother recommended it to me. So I bought the collection on Steam for 15 bucks. I have both games and I'm almost finished with the first one SO AWSOME!!!!!

Best Video game story line EVER! I never played it, but my brother recommended it to me. So I bought the collection on Steam for 15 bucks. I have both games and I'm almost finished with the first one SO AWSOME!!!!!

Too bad you just discovered the game. It was real OMG when it came out back in '01.

My two cents..

Max Payne 1,2 - Both are absolutely amazing. Be prepared for the shock when you start playing 2 after 1: "What did they do to Max?"
HL1,2,EP1,2 - Ongoing saga, very good. Ep2 feel like you're killing time, but its still good.
Deus Ex - My personal favorite, just stay away from Deus Ex 2
COD4 - Just plain fun. No crazy thinking, no crazy plot, just tons of fun without being a kill-everything-that-moves kinda game.

EDIT: Painkiller was a ton of fun too, but unlike COD4, it is a kill-everything-that-moves kinda game. Ran unbelievably well on my aged hardware at the time.

I thought Crysis was all about the graphics.. I don't think it will be remembered as a "good" game, so whatever.

As much as I thought it was a completely overrated pile of crap, Bioshock is certainly a good bet for an FPS game. Crysis has some interesting aspects beyond the graphics that make it worth playing, but I cannot recommend CoD4. The single player is 6 hours of killing endlessly respawning Arab insurgents and rogue Russian arms dealers... essentially you play through a season of 24 as Jack Bauer, but without ever having that wholesome feeling like there are actually any real twists in the plot or aspects of the game that you give a half of a shit about. I thought STALKER was a good game also, although sometimes the controls get a little bit clunky and you get that feeling like you have no clue what to do next (The Witcher Syndrome). On the subject of FPS-RPGs, Morrowind and Oblivion are both exceptional games that, in spite of their lack of the shooting part are first person games with fun gameplay, interesting stories and engrossing, full-fledged worlds to get caught up in.

If you loved Bioshock's depth, you should go back and play system shock 2 (if you can stomach the graphics) which was made by the same guys basically. It'll look ugly, but the game is still immersive and amazing.

Very true of the gameplay, however I disagree on the graphics. They suit the game quite well. They could be a bit flashier I suppose, but they get the job done. I recommend picking up the SHTUP mod as it increases the resolution on a lot of textures without changing them in any major or stylistic way. I recommend AGAINST the Rebirth mod as it changes things a little too drastically. The models look great, but since they are more detailed, they actually seem to detract from the feeling of immersion. (and they stray a bit from the originals in some ways)

Anyway, I would strongly second the suggestion to play it. There's nothing like it (except SS1, which I'd recommend after realizing how great the sequel is, as it takes a little more patience to get into it being a DOS game with fixed controls.)

If you need help getting it running, go to http://www.ttlg.com there are nice FAQs there. Also, there is something called System Shock 2 Tool 2.4 that helps get it ready to run on newer systems and OSes. You'll have to search for the thread and link to it. Anyway, definitely go play it if you like BioShock. It's exponentially better, (even though I love BioShock too.)

anyone remember Redneck Rampage? That was back in the Duke3D era.... I loved that game...

That mod is AMAZING!
Crysis feels like a new game, the Time of Day mod on top of the performance increase AND Ultra High graphics.
Wow!
I've been playing it since your post :D

For anyone who wants to give it a go
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999

For comparison
Running E8400@4GHz, 4GB ram, 8800GT
1280x1024 res timedemo just short of 50fps and it looks gorgeous!!
Super smooth in game :)

ps dont bother using level 5, I only got 22fps
This thread cant be the first mention of it here surely? Its been out 2 weeks.

I'm really dissapointed as to how bad Crysis is configured for ATI. I normally get 32FPS on Very High with 1280 x 1025 no AA. What can this config do for me? (running Crysis without patch due to not being able to save with it)

Crysis was good from the perspective of graphical environment. The scenes were so real, and the faces were so lifelike that Crysis did very well with the eye-candy. The game play and story was unfortunately not one to try to remember.

Max Payne - great game. One of the first FPS games with a decent story line.

What about Rainbow Six - Vegas? Or Splinter Cell for that matter? SC1+2 is in the bargain box these days (i find it a bit slow to play - you have to be patient).

I'm really dissapointed as to how bad Crysis is configured for ATI. I normally get 32FPS on Very High with 1280 x 1025 no AA. What can this config do for me? (running Crysis without patch due to not being able to save with it)

I explained what it did for me, try it.
If you pay me the postage fee, I'll put myself in a suitcase and get delivered to your house so I can try it for you if you like :D

newls1 said

anyone remember Redneck Rampage? That was back in the Duke3D era.... I loved that game

Yes I remember it. I still have it.
It was so stupid- but hilariously fun to play.:)

For those looking to play HL1, but don't want to look at the aged graphics, there is a mod being built to bring HL1 up to date with HL2 graphics, done the proper way: Black Mesa Source
http://www.blackmesasource.com/
No, its not done yet, but looks promising

Back