NVIDIA G92s and G94 Reportedly Failing

HardOCP News

[H] News
Charlie Demerjian over at the InqWell says he has more information on that whole failing GPU fiasco that NVIDIA is up to its neck in right now. According to the report, not only are all G84 and G86 chips bad but the problem is also being reported in G92s and G94 GPUs. If this proves to be true, it would be difficult to even begin to imagine the impact it would have on NVIDIA’s bottom line.

Well, the G92 chip is used in the 8800GT, 8800GTS, 8800GS, several mobile flavours of 8800, most of the 9800 suffixes, and a few 9600 variants just to confuse buyers. The G94 is basically only the 9600GT. Basically we are told all G92 and G94 variants are susceptible to the same problem - basically they are all defective. Any guesses as to how much this is going to cost?

1 of my G92s just died, EVGA 8800GT SC, it was the frst gen with the small fan.
I did upgrade the fan to the Akimbo cooler, never ran over 60C, but still died with in 6monts no video signal.
EVGA is replacing it, so thats good but man lots of bad stuff going on for NV right now.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it seems... None of us should be wanting NV to be unable to compete with ATI. Unless we don't like money!

Had mine for quite a few months now, it's never had a problem.

Anyone wanna sell their "Defective" 8800GTS? :)

would the 9600M GS be effected?

That would be a G94, probably. So, yes, it would if this proves to be true.

Right now we only have one site reporting this and Charlie is a well known Nvidia hater.
I think he actually hates Nvidia more than he hates Microsoft. So, take this with a grain of salt, but in his defense, he's been pretty close to the mark about all of the Nvidia laptop problems.
So, wait and see is the way to play this and I wouldn't buy any laptops that have NV graphics or chipsets, at the moment. But that's me personally.

Not sure if the 8600M GT was affected, but I used it for a year in Iraq and it ran fine. Sold it to someone else who's been using it in Iraq for another 6 months so far and still working.

I don't think it's as big of a problem as some are trying to make it sound like. I certainly hope it doesn't kill the competition. Otherwise we'll be stuck with ATI vs INTEL!

I have lappy, i hoped ati would fix linux issues, which they have done 80%! and for my desktop, i still didnt buy 8800 GTS over 2900 XT and not 8800 GT over 3870 and not any GTX2xx over 4870 and still going strong with my ati cards from 9800 XT and ive had ALL top models since that.

9700pro(Killed by myself with mad voltmod)9800 x800xl,xt,pro x850 xt pe 1800xt 1900xt 1950 xtx 2900xt 3870 3870x2 4870 4870x2 incomming!

To add, 2900 XT have been used with voltmods, 3870x2 1950xtx and 1900 xt have all been dryice/water clocked and x800xl was in my sofa for 6 months a friend sat on it, and my cats loved it, still works great! 24/7 after placing it in a linux computer.

I stopped with nvidia after DOA madness with GF3 and 4! i simply loved the 2 ti ! but my trust for nvidia is even more lacking now.

All laptop chips in g80 ? Nforce 6 series 7 series(790I) and lotsa DOA and bad in GF3!.

ati have had WAY less scandals than nvidia.
in fact, only rma on ati ive done is 3870x2 wheras fancontroller didnt work properly making it fail in games from time to time...

Goddammit, I thought there was a strict moratorium in place on 'Charlie' posts on the forum, let alone on the FRONT PAGE. :mad:

I know nothing about the laptop GPU problem, and frankly I could give a shit about it... but I do know that there isn't any huge pandemic of defective/failing G9x chips. Hell, if that were the case the [H] GPU subforums would be flooded with people with dying 9800GTX, 8800GT, and other G9X based parts. If anything the G92 and G94 seem to be the least problematic GPU from Nvidia sofar...

More anti-green Charlie bullshit. :mad:

This combined with their chipsets combined with the rumours of the 280's failing couldn't be timed more poorly for Nvidia, especially with ATI surging and Intel lurking.

Hopefully Nvidia will learn something from the last years.

I hope it isn't true....
If the G9x line are all faulty chips I can see a shit storm coming...and it's a bad one for all hardware enthusiasts..

i dont know if this is true or not but my 9600GT runs fine i oced it a couple of times and now its on 24/7 guess what it is doing FOLDING but on the other hand my laptop has one of those 8600M chip now that is my only problem with nvidia

BlueFalcon, all that 8600etc mobile problem thing was just anti-Nvidia propaganda too right?

Honestly after the whole chipset article from the inq I wonder why you continue to post "news" from these guys on the front page. "Hey I have info to" isn't very reliable information.

I have a 7800GT that is several years old and it is running strong. I have an 8600gts that is a few years old and running F@H in an 80 deg. F room. I also have an 8800GT that has run F@H and averages about 83 Deg. C under full load for a year without any problems. Am I just lucky?

I'm keeping my eye out on this. While we know there is a problem with the G86/84's, its been very hard to determine the extent of the problem. Obviosuly, nVidia wants to low ball the issue and anything that Charlie D. writes about nVidia that doesn't imply that nVidia is the source of global warming and high gas prices is a complement.

I am really getting annoyed by the IT media. Everything is more sensational the the National Enquirer, knowing fact from fiction is a full time job.

I keep seeing these reports (mostly originating from the Inq it should be said), but I keep not seeing huge forum threads about how graphics cards are exploding in droves, despite the supposedly defective products having been in consumer hands in large quantities for over a year.

What is the actual deal here?

So there is an actual defect, is it a serious defect?

Is it actually killing lots of cards in the wild, beyond normal failure rates?

Is it going to kill many more of these cards before they get naturally cycled out of use through normal upgrades?

Is this whole thing just a bunch of Chicken-Licken hysteria, making a major issue of a widespread but minor fault?

Am I only imagining that my OC'd 8800gt is working fine, but it has actually been broken all this time?

The problem is NV has been very secretive about the problem. We don't know the full extent of the issue and what I think is scarier is if NV doesn't know either. All of this is making the smear campaign by Charlie seem plausible, hence it is front page news daily. If you have an EVGA card you're covered, if not cross your fingers.

About six weeks ago I bought 2 8800GTs. One of the two failed almost immediately, which because of distractions I failed for realize for almost 2 weeks. That has been replaced now, by one with the same specifications, but obviously from a different production run (they no longer "match" - where before they had consecutive serial numbers).

But there weren't any real factors that might contribute to the failure. My power supply is almost new, and has plenty of wattage on the 12v rails. My case is a Coolermaster Stacker 830 series, and has 4/120mm fans in the side which are controlled by Fan Bus, but are normally running at full speed. And there are 3 other 120mm Fans, all running at full speed. Meaning it's unlikely that "heat" is the culprit. Everything is protected by an APC Uninteruptible Powersupply.

The only thing that I can conclude is that at least a portion of the G92s are "defective"! And while that might not effect Nvidia at this point in time, it will eventually. As long as Nvidia tries to shurk responsibility I will avoid purchasing "all" their products.

MartinX, you noticed that too huh?

The internet is the first place we would be seeing signs of mass failures of Nvidia chips. It is not happening in any way shape or form.

Frankly, I smell dirty corporate warfare in all this. There just isn't real world evidence or pissed off customers to back up the press releases. What the hell is going on? If Nvidia really has a problem this large then fine, they are screwed. But if this is being overstated or inaccurately reported then Nvidia needs to bury some of these news sites six feet under with lawsuits. They have had billions of dollars in damage done to their company now. The claims had better be accurate.

My 9800gtx and 2 8800gs are running 24/7 folding@home on the gpu for a couple months, the 8800gs's being in a hot garage:eek:. No problems so far, and eVGA lifetime warranty, so I can't say I'm terrified of a failure should rumors of a defect should happen to be true. Although I'm curious what eVGA would replace the cards with, since (according to Charlie) there are no "good" G92 parts.

But like others have said, Charlie isn't exactly the most unbiased source of information. And google search pretty much turns up links to Charlies article or to forums like this discussing Charlies article .:confused: so it's hard to take it too seriously. It's difficult to keep secrets in this day and age, why would Charlie be the only one who knows?

About six weeks ago I bought 2 8800GTs. One of the two failed almost immediately, which because of distractions I failed for realize for almost 2 weeks. That has been replaced now, by one with the same specifications, but obviously from a different production run (they no longer "match" - where before they had consecutive serial numbers).

But there weren't any real factors that might contribute to the failure. My power supply is almost new, and has plenty of wattage on the 12v rails. My case is a Coolermaster Stacker 830 series, and has 4/120mm fans in the side which are controlled by Fan Bus, but are normally running at full speed. And there are 3 other 120mm Fans, all running at full speed. Meaning it's unlikely that "heat" is the culprit. Everything is protected by an APC Uninteruptible Powersupply.

The only thing that I can conclude is that at least a portion of the G92s are "defective"! And while that might not effect Nvidia at this point in time, it will eventually. As long as Nvidia tries to shurk responsibility I will avoid purchasing "all" their products.

The thing is that there will alwys be defective/failed units. It's perfectly normal for a certain pecentage of all consumer electronics to fail, the only issue here is whether these cards are actually ticking timebombs just waiting to do whatever the GPU equivalent of the RROD is.

So far I haven't seen much other than rumours and supposition.

There is definitely a real problem with G84/86 mobile parts. Large OEMs like HP and Dell have verified it. As per G92/94 parts having similar issues... I'm not going to easily dismiss it even though it's coming from The Inq (notorious for FUD). It's quite possible that the desktop cards are not failing as fast as the mobile GPUs because cooling solutions are usually better on the desktop side. Gotta keep an eye on this news people.

I am getting rather sick of all this nVidia FUD. It's always from Charlie too... wonder why. Could we please ignore the guy until we get some solid evidence from an alternative source that states exactly what he is saying? I mean, it spreads like wildfire on the net. engadget and gizmodo eat this stuff up, and as far as I am concerned it definitely isn't valid!

What exactly the "defect" is?

The defect is The Inquirer. If they trow enough FUD, some will eventually stick and they can go "see!"

If their story was accurate then the forums on every nerd borad would be on fire. They are not.

Back