NVIDIA G92s and G94 Reportedly Failing

Nope. I've had great luck with NV as well. Wish i could say my luck was the same with ATi. :mad:

If this were as bad as the article makes out, we'd see more complaints on the forums.

I have lappy, i hoped ati would fix linux issues, which they have done 80%! and for my desktop, i still didnt buy 8800 GTS over 2900 XT and not 8800 GT over 3870 and not any GTX2xx over 4870 and still going strong with my ati cards from 9800 XT and ive had ALL top models since that.

9700pro(Killed by myself with mad voltmod)9800 x800xl,xt,pro x850 xt pe 1800xt 1900xt 1950 xtx 2900xt 3870 3870x2 4870 4870x2 incomming!

To add, 2900 XT have been used with voltmods, 3870x2 1950xtx and 1900 xt have all been dryice/water clocked and x800xl was in my sofa for 6 months a friend sat on it, and my cats loved it, still works great! 24/7 after placing it in a linux computer.

I stopped with nvidia after DOA madness with GF3 and 4! i simply loved the 2 ti ! but my trust for nvidia is even more lacking now.

All laptop chips in g80 ? Nforce 6 series 7 series(790I) and lotsa DOA and bad in GF3!.

ati have had WAY less scandals than nvidia.
in fact, only rma on ati ive done is 3870x2 wheras fancontroller didnt work properly making it fail in games from time to time...

so what you are saying is that you are a hardcore ati fanboy. Brand Loyalty FTL

The fix for these mobile chips is to run the fan like hell when the mahcine is on. That's a huge problem and is only a bandaid....this kills battery life and makes the laptop loud. Hp AND dell have iinstituted this "fix" and hp has extended warranties on the notebooks with those gpus. sounds like a defect problem being swept under the rug to me.

Okay. . . I'm done with engadget and all these sites that post rumor and unconfirmed reports from the same ass-clown over at the Inq. Never any facts. Never any quotes. Never any names. And the same thing over and over again. Isn't this like the fifth time that Charlie has "broken" this story? And each time it's repeated. . . with no evidence. . . and people bite. They get their clicks (and other sites feed off them).

• nvidia has licensed SLi to Intel for the x48 chipset! We've confirmed it! We've spoken to the driver team! Nvidia are a bunch of liars for denying it! -- FALSE
  • nvidia is leaving the chipset business! We've confirmed it! We have several sources! -- (almost certainly) FALSE
  • nvidia has admitted that some laptop chips are bad. We think it's probably more widespread than that and will thus slant all our "reporting" over the next few months to try to convince you that this is the case. . . nvidia's other chips are failing! nvidia's other chips are failing! We have heard from "sources". . . but hopefully more reliable sources than those ones that "confirmed" for us that x48 would have SLi. And it's not the fictional driver team working on that which we made up completely. -- TBD

And then we get the fine folks visiting all those sites with their piss-poor anecdotal evidence: "I've seen a lot of posts from people with bad cards." As though prevalence of such internet postings is any valid measure of a product's reliability. By that standard, every game, OS, application, or piece of hardware has been unacceptable or a failure. Internet forums are by nature negative places. Most people go to forums to post about their problems because they're motivated to fix them. Few people are as motivated to take the time to post that they have no problems or are happy.

All these sites are here to make us click on them. And their integrity goes down the toilet because of it. I would have hoped that the sites I've spent so many years visiting would have the common decency not to pass on obvious, unsubstantiated FUD. But no such luck.

I'm keeping my eye out on this. While we know there is a problem with the G86/84's, its been very hard to determine the extent of the problem. Obviosuly, nVidia wants to low ball the issue and anything that Charlie D. writes about nVidia that doesn't imply that nVidia is the source of global warming and high gas prices is a complement.

I am really getting annoyed by the IT media. Everything is more sensational the the National Enquirer, knowing fact from fiction is a full time job.

Not reading the Inq will lower your sensationalism level by about 40% (maybe more) all by itself.

I don't believe anything the Inq says until I hear at least two other credible sources saying the same thing --sources that aren't crediting the Inq for their information.

Not reading the Inq will lower your sensationalism level by about 40% (maybe more) all by itself.

I don't believe anything the Inq says until I hear at least two other credible sources saying the same thing --sources that aren't crediting the Inq for their information.
More and more, we're just getting regurgitation of the INQ's FUD without any real attempt on the part of those parroting it to add anything subtantial or verify the information.

At least [H] makes it clear that it's still rumour. But in a perfect world, they wouldn't perpetuate stories with no sourcing at all. There is not one scintilla of proof to what the Inq has been saying for weeks now. . . other than their assurance that they have some. But these are the same folks that had spoken with the driver team working on SLi for x48. So f' them.

Just reading a few articles from Charlie anybody can tell that he reviles Nvidia and is most likely ATI's personal toilet paper. The venom he spews in the Nvidia articles just makes it abundantly clear there is no news there, just hate and a desire to try to sink a company-- so whether there is any truth to it or not, he's tainted his articles so deeply there is no real believable value to them or anything he writes.

What did Nvidia do to him anyway? Piss in his cornflakes and rape his dog? I've never seen such hate in what's supposed to pass as journalism. His stuff reads more like it's supposed to be from a personal blog.

One other thing to keep in mind, which the article ENTIRELY fails to point out... The 8800 GTS was a G80 part up until December 2007, so anyone with an older 8800 GTS has nothing to worry about (assuming this is a real issue anyway).

Personally to me it sounds more like inadequate cooling in laptops is the primary source of this "issue". I have worked with a lot of laptops over they past 10 years while supporting 300 laptop using customers at work, and in my experience laptop manufacturers screw something up badly in every model. The more bells and whistles, the more likely they are to make a mistake too. In the case of gaming laptops, the videocard is a major heat producer, and if manufacturers barely met minimum cooling specs (which I guarantee most of them did) I am not surprised they are seeing a lot of failures... Don't forget, users are stupid and will block their primary fan outlet if you don't train them not to. A videocard with barely adequate cooling WILL fail within a few months with that outlet blocked, whether it has a "problem" or not.

Charlie C. is worse than Fuad. Fuad is atleast trying (albeit not very successful) to get some credibility back by having his own website and posting more product announcements and new tech on his site, rather than just industry rumors.

To be honest, I believe many of the G84 and G86 mobiles will have issues, but the issue will be mostly limited to the mobile chips.

I think Charlie is sensationalizing what happens to be a higher than normal product failure rate for many Nvidia chips, and this failure rate is still well below "recall" status.

The only reason I believe many of the G84 and G86 mobiles were bad is because the issue is widespread among different manufacturers. Not because Charlie C. said so.

I'll start believing G92 and G94 parts are defective when I start hearing more substantial reports.

In the meantime, Charlie can continue to sling bullshit at his dartboard of rumors. No matter how bad his aim, probability says eventually a small nugget of truth will splatter the bullseye.:rolleyes:

Please,

***continuing previous post***
Please stop posting Inq articles on the frontpage, no matter how slow the news is.

Do you think nVidia would just go out and say "Oh dear, yes, it's all true!"... DOH! They wont, and they will say that this story is wrong with no valid facts.

Again, probable cover up.
You believe Charlie without proof. Your point is exactly?

So Dell's support pages and HP pages are all just fiction then? The Class Action against HP as well?

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/07/25/nvidia-gpu-update-for-dell-laptop-owners.aspx
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c01087277&dlc=en
http://hpnotebooksettlement.com/

All the bios updates for the g84/g86 range are just vapourware?
The fact that Acer is RMAing our 8600M lappy for GFX and Wireless issues?

Sorry but something stinks in nVidia land and its getting worse.

oh and...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1329792
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1331378

Not all chips are failing or bad. Charlie stated they were.
I have a HP DV9750us with one of the "bad" chips going strong with the default BIOS.

Goddammit, I thought there was a strict moratorium in place on 'Charlie' posts on the forum, let alone on the FRONT PAGE. :mad:

More anti-green Charlie bullshit. :mad:

Yeah, no kidding. I don't know how many people know about his writing, but damn, that guy really has it out for Nvidia. Like, really crazy. Inq does do some things right, they scooped everybody on the sony battery thing for sure, but for every battery recall there are 10+ cases where they are just dead wrong. This sounds a lot like FUD to me. And I've got a sample of at least 5 G92's (not huge, obviously, but way better than just my own), between me and some of my friends. I got mine on launch day, no problems yet. I can see how the GT would go a little earlier than it should, due to the lackluster heatsink, but I've remedied that on my card, and suggest anyone with a GT do the same. It dropped my load temps by ~30C. Loading at around 97C is not good for longevity. But this? I call BS until 3 or 4 of the cards I know of die, since that's the scale this chump is talking about.

Simple fact is, this guy is the most rabid anti-Nvidia pundit on the tubes, he'll post anything short of outright libel just to smear Nvidia.

If there was a problem with the G92-series chips, we'd know by now. This is often the first place a thread about failing hardware pops up. Sorry, but this one is BS, just like 90% of what Charlie has to say.

Anyone who believes this is probably some rabid fanboy who, for whatever reason, was taught to believe that when it comes to computer hardware you have to choose sides and pray for the demise of the competition.

I thought i was just going crazy with the issues ive been getting from my nv card. Guess im not =) This explains a lot. Randomly my picture would just go CRAZY with colors and distortion, not often.. about once every 3 days or so. Its not heat related i keep my fan going @ 100% and i dont o/c. Think its time to get someone to give me my credit and get a 4870 -_-

Yeah this article is bullshit.

If charlie told you the sky is blue, it would be a lie, because its coming from charlie.

Sure, maybe some of the G84 and G86 based laptops have faulty parts, its not the first time nvidia or ATi has made parts which were faulty, and nvidia has positioned itself to help maintain some face (taking the hit before the hit is reality), but because of this reality, that some of nvidia's parts are bad, charlie is spreading fud (probably he being the source since its made up) in a personal vendetta against nvidia.

If its true I have already purchased 4 of these 8800 GT and I WANT MY MONEY BACK OR WE WILL SEATTLE IN COURT.

Isn't this a stinky coincidence? he publishes this article on the exact day that ATI is releasing a new and powerful vidcard.

He's a known nVidia hater... so... hmmm :rolleyes:.

Well we do know that the laptop thing is real, even if he does have a hate on for Nvidia, he got that one right.
As for desktop, the way it reads for me is that these are NEW batches, and not the stuff that has been in retail for the last few months.

It should also mean that they might just push towards a 10.1 chip faster which could eliminate this problem since these would not be on the market anymore.

No, you fail for not recognizing sarcasm. Go read his post again.

I understand his post, and your sarcastic reply just fine. He typo'd "settle" as "Seattle". You replied stating he was going to take Seattle to court, referring to Seattle as a state. I'm not sure why you would call it a state, or how that contributed to the sarcasm of your post.

I understand his post, and your sarcastic reply just fine. He typo'd "settle" as "Seattle". You replied stating he was going to take Seattle to court, referring to Seattle as a state. I'm not sure why you would call it a state, or how that contributed to the sarcasm of your post.

Bah, fuck.

I just got home. Gimme a break.

Personally, I think Charlie has been hitting the bottle a bit too much lately. But if there's anything to the G92/G94 failures, if you have a stock heatsink on a G92-200 or G94 board and take a long hard look at how much the PCB is flexed in places...

Being constantly exposed to people's RMAs and product issues, i have got to say that i havent really seen anything prevalent in the arena of G92 chips going up in RMA calls, etc. Im going to have to call complete rumor on this one again. I really think that this one has no foundation at all, especially since i have firsthand experience with this supposed issue which doesnt even exist. I just am not seeing or hearing people calling about their 8800GTs and 8800GTS 512MBs giving them widespread problems.

kinda worries me a little, even though i've had months and months of sweet sli gaming with my 8800gt's.

if my g92's fail, my gaming rig is toast.

as if the price of resale for an 8800gt isn't rock bottom already! :p

I'm not worried. I'm sure NV will fix their issues.IF they cannot fix themselves, ATi also has an attractive line of cards I can use.

So Dell's support pages and HP pages are all just fiction then? The Class Action against HP as well?

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/07/25/nvidia-gpu-update-for-dell-laptop-owners.aspx
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c01087277&dlc=en
http://hpnotebooksettlement.com/

All the bios updates for the g84/g86 range are just vapourware?
The fact that Acer is RMAing our 8600M lappy for GFX and Wireless issues?

Sorry but something stinks in nVidia land and its getting worse.

oh and...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1329792
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1331378

Yeah. The thing that bothers me about all this is that the Inq were -still- the first to indicate a problem with a whole series of mobile chips... BEFORE there was any other information that fit the rumours.

That was the Dell and HP bios updates. (With no reverts available on HP's site in case the new bios doesn't work out.)

There's also massive issues with MacBooks that have these nVid mobile chips in them. Same issues. Video dying, lines, no output, very hot surfaces... cooked chips, basically.

I am fully aware of Inq's "quality" for their reporting, but they've been right on the mark in determining which chips would be suspect before anything was revealed to support the claim.

Now, if nVid weren't being SO (&*^@#ING INAPPROPRIATELY QUIET ABOUT THE EXACT ISSUE...... Staying quiet right now is actually only adding fuel to the fire. Instead of doing a recall and pointing out the exact issue, all we have to go on are these little bits.

Charlie wants to bury nVid? Well, nVid seems to be letting him get away with a fuckload. Unless there's a lot more they're hoping that people won't eventually find out.

Yeah this article is bullshit.

If charlie told you the sky is blue, it would be a lie, because its coming from charlie.

Uhm, no, because you go outside and look at the sky yourself, exactly what we're trying to do now by piecing together information based on what we HAVE been able to determine... like the HP, Dell bios updates and MacBook Pro graphics problems.

If you're going to say "the sky is blue is a lie just because Charlie said it," well, then, uhm... I'd hate for him to ever claim that we need to breathe to stay alive. Would you stop breathing just because he said it?

Although Nvidia has admitted that these graphics boards “are failing in the field at higher than normal rates,” and that “testing suggests a weak material set of die/package combination ... are contributing factors” for these failures, the company has not yet identified the actual number of graphics cards — or laptops — that are plagued by this problem.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/nvidia.html

A statement like that from nVidia hardly inspires confidence.

If Charlie's wrong, then you have nothing to worry about. But.. when he's right, I wouldn't stop breathing just because you think everything is a lie regardless of what he says.

Unfortunately, he may be onto something. Accuracy remains suspect, but he actually does seem to be onto something.

Note: I primarily buy nVidia GPUs. I did choose my laptop from the models within my price range first by eliminating those with Intel, Chrome or ATI chipsets. I have a lot of old nVidia video cards here that I saved before more expensive parts in computers I've gutted. Why? Because they were damned decent and seemed more reliable. (That and less driver headaches.)

Regardless of who has the performance crown at any given moment, the last thing I want is for nVidia to crumble... but they're not doing themselves any favors right now by keeping mum about the real cause of these issues, what is affected and whether or not they're going to take responsibility for defects.

Back