HIS is running a rebate scam

ordovician

2[H]4U
I got an email today saying that I would not be receiving a $40 rebate for the purchase of a Radeon 4850 from newegg because the packaging slip I sent was "photocopied." I had paid every detail of the rebate submission close attention, and had mailed it in the alloted time span. I did everything perfectly, including sending the exact packaging slip that came with the video card, as specified in the rebate guidelines.

Now, has anyone ever received a newegg packaging slip that DID NOT appear photocopied? Not I.

I know rebates are inherently a crapshoot, but what pisses me off is that HIS has the gall to CONTACT me with this bullcrap. I decided that if I got screwed out of my own hard-earned cash, I could at least counter-screw HIS out of some revenue. I sent a nasty email to HIS telling them:

1) I would never buy an HIS product again
2) I would write a terrible review on newegg.com
3) I would let as many people know about this as I could.

So there you go. If I prevent 1 person from buying an HIS 4850, then I have done my job. Thanks for reading, and don't say I didn't warn you!

Edit: here's the email:

Contact Newegg and see what they can do. I have heard of them in the past nailing out these issues with ultimate satisfaction.

I did send an email to newegg. I realize it's not really their fault, but I'm still a bit disappointed with them.

That is epic BS on HIS' part. I wouldn't be surprised if Newegg credited you the $40 and/or gave HIS a lot of shit over this.

All the packing slips I've gotten from Newegg looked like they were cheap-o black and white laser printer spit-outs.

I never got my $10 MIR from HIS for some crap ati video card I bought!

Lets storm their headquarters!!!111

The whole issue is that, if HIS is refusing those rebate submissions with "photocopied" packing slips, then they are refusing ALL rebates, because newegg's packaging slips ALL look like that.

Ehh...$40 bucks isn't something I'd very quickly walk away from, especially when there were plenty of other vendors offering the product at or below the retail cost of the card before the rebate.

That's just me. But I'm not a Dollar Menunaire or anything.

If you let people take advantage of you and not follow through on what is promised, that is your problem. Rebates and cash back are often deciding factors on purchases I make, so when the vendor pulls some BS like that, you should go after them.

After all, $10 is $10 eh?

likely HIS never even saw your email, like most rebates it is handled by some 3rd party company..

for one i wouldnt of sent an overly pissy email, but start off with a calm one explaining the situation, then progress the anger level if nothing gets resolved.

likely HIS never even saw your email, like most rebates it is handled by some 3rd party company..

for one i wouldnt of sent an overly pissy email, but start off with a calm one explaining the situation, then progress the anger level if nothing gets resolved.

Good point. Emailing HIS directly now :D

We do not have relations with HIS, but I will make sure that the folks with AMD North America are privvy to this. This is not good at all.

Way to go Kyle! $10, ehh...I'd be upset about. But $40 on a video card rebate even after stuff like the original UPC was sent it? My guess they threw your submission in the trash already.

i got denied on my $40 rebate from worldwiderebates.com ...got newegg on the chat service gave me $25...then i had to call this f'"rs at worldwiderebate which keeps hanging up the calll..tried a week before i can get ahold of anyone..then they say they didnt get a copy of the invoice..in the end i got my $40 after faxing it to them...so i got back 65 for all that trouble...

A word to the wise. Rebates are SAFE if YOU make them safe.

Take high rez pictures of EVERYTHING you send in. Take a picture of the envelope. Send it Cert Mail if possible. Hell, on a recent MIR of my own ($500) I took a picture of me dropping it in the mailbox at the post office.

COVER YOUR ASS. And you will get your rebate.

So there you go. If I prevent 1 person from buying an HIS 4850, then I have done my job.
I'm not currently in the market, but I'll be sure not to recommend buying anything from HIS. My HIS X1900 debacle left a sour taste in my mouth as it is (HIS had zero North American support services at that time, surprisingly).

If HIS actually gets around to contacting you, I'll be genuinely shocked.

Gotta admit, as long as you sent in a copy of the receipt and the bar code from the box (which is the important part along with date of purchase), denying on the pack slip being a copy is BS. This pisses me off and is the reason MIRs get a bad rep.

Yeah, I sent in all those things. I'm sitting here with the box that has a square hole in it from where I cut out the UPC. How did I not purchase this? lol.

yeah i dont even look at rebates anymore, simply because its a chance youll see it, they look for every last thing possible to screw you out of it. usually its a 3rd party company who takes care of it for someone, and i think thats their job, refuse as many as possible and hope people dont follow up.

I think resellers should be on the hook, or resellers should get the rebates, and the get the instant rebate, then if they screw the reseller just stops selling their stuff, easy enough

they did this to me too , but im little to busy to care right now (With moving & stuff) i sent in a copy of the packing slip & original UPC for my 4850

i would have sent in the original packing , but i had multiple rebates to send out i did happen to get my CoolMax & Mushkin rebates no problem

Even if the packing slip is a copy, as long as it's valid and readable it should be fine.

Looking for excuses to deny rebates is bad business.

Just call them and it can probably be cleared up on the spot. The phone number is included with the email.

I'm not a fan of HIS rebates either. The last one I sent in took around 6 months to get paid. They're on my "don't bother" list.

Just call them and it can probably be cleared up on the spot. The phone number is included with the email.

I'm not a fan of HIS rebates either. The last one I sent in took around 6 months to get paid. They're on my "don't bother" list.

I did call, it's totally automated. No human whatsoever.

You just need to know how to get a rep. :p

I got a human easily. 1, 2, #, # to the prompts.

The scam is the ATI chipset that was on the PCB you bought... you got ripped.

j/k, lol

HIS is already on my black list of companies NOT to buy from after releasing this product:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800997026

00-997-026-03.jpg

HIS is already on my black list of companies NOT to buy from after releasing this product:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800997026

00-997-026-03.jpg

OMFG, that is too much.

Read some of the reviews for it. I just covered my desk in water.

Pros: It fits in a PCIe 1x slot.
Cons: I don't know if its doing anything but it can't hurt.
Other Thoughts: Sometimes I like to crush up a pack of ramen and shake it with the seasoning in the bag and each it like that.

Hahaha I love that HIS "Video signal reduction card"

That is way tooo much. It looks like they just soldered a few caps to a black pcb and boxed it up.

also on the box
"Up to 10% improvement in signal to noise ratio"

who cares?!

@OP:
Score one for your crusade, I've been wanting to get a HD48XX but with decent dual slot cooling and HIS was looking like the way to go. Was either going to get their 4850 or wait for them to put that ICE4 thing on a 4870, I guess I need a new plan..

Hell,the whole rebate thing is a scam,dreamed up by companies like BestBuy to lure in customers.I look on it like the lottery,you send 'em in and hope you get lucky,but I don't hold my breath waiting for them.

Rebates are a scam, period, whether paid out or not. If the companies really wanted to make it fair, they'd reduce the costs to the retailers.

This is to the OP.

This is not the first time I heard about this. From my understanding they're horrible at doing this to their customers. You have saved me some trouble. I've also blacklisted them in my book. I will pass the word on to my friends and coworkers.

You actually just put a dent into sales from my side. I buy 3rd party vid cards all the time to get dual display going (at work) so not only will I stop buying their flag ship cards but also any of their budget desktop solutions.

Thanks for the info man and I hope you end up getting your money back!

-Dill

Back