HIS is running a rebate scam

Yes, please do.

On another note, I'm seeing a couple oher gripes about rebates in genereal, or from other companies. Yes, rebates are a PITA, but I've recieved prompt rebates from great companies like Corsair, OCZ, and Logitech. My main gripe in this thread is about a rebate that is theoretically impossible to aquire.
Did you ever call the rebate processing rep? I gave you exact instructions on how to get a person earlier in the thread (1, 2, #, # at the prompts). I have no idea if they're open Saturday. Some rebate processors usually are.

Like I said, I'm no fan of HIS rebates. My rebate for an X850XT PE took forever to be paid and I don't feel like dealing with that again in the future. But you're making a mountain out of a molehill for something that could be addressed in just a few minutes by calling.

the whole MIR system is based upon making it as difficult as possible to get the rebate so they won't have to give it to you. Otherwise, why not just cut the price directly when they sell the cards to newegg so newegg can sell them cheaper right away.

I'm glad we don't have the MIR system in Sweden, if there is a rebate (which is quite common) it is only as instant rebates. (Except for Microsoft and Symantec, they seem to have some MIR sometimes).

the whole MIR system is based upon making it as difficult as possible to get the rebate so they won't have to give it to you. Otherwise, why not just cut the price directly when they sell the cards to newegg so newegg can sell them cheaper right away.

I'm glad we don't have the MIR system in Sweden, if there is a rebate (which is quite common) it is only as instant rebates. (Except for Microsoft and Symantec, they seem to have some MIR sometimes).

You either have them or you dont, which is it?

I never look into 'after MIR' prices. The price before MIR is what I pay afterall.

Its almost better if your item purchased didn't have a MIR so you wouldn't waste time and end up disappointed if it doesn't come. I probably won't even bother with a $10 rebate if its going to require step by step preperation, mailing it out (its not free), and getting it 6 months later.

We don't. There are just a few exceptions to prove the rule. I don't think anyone liked it because I haven't seen any since.
I <3 rebates. There are some companies that try to get out of paying, but the majority do go smoothly. Fill in, cut, copy and mail, then get a rebate check without any further hassles. I'd estimate about 95% of the rebates i've sent over the years required zero intervention and the majority of the rest were cleared up with a single phone call. A few have been hassles, but even most of those were (eventually) paid. In dollars, i've easily received back over 99.9% of the rebates I sent in. Possibly over 100% if counted another way (getting rebates that were not offered, but not being a tard about it). That's a different story. ;)

I've had so many incredible deals after rebate over the years I can't imagine paying full price for certain items anymore. I have about $400 in rebates currently out and I doubt any of those will go unpaid. All those companies have excellent payment records (Targus, Canon, EVGA, HP, Corsair, Creative, etc). That said, there are certainly companies that I would avoid (LeadTek and KWorld, to name two).

If someone wants to avoid rebates, they can. Others, like me, don't share the same view.

Add me to the won't buy from HIS list, unless they give you the money and a free video card. I'm about ready to get a new card, too. :p

I <3 rebates. There are some companies that try to get out of paying, but the majority do go smoothly. Fill in, cut, copy and mail, then get a rebate check without any further hassles. I'd estimate about 95% of the rebates i've sent over the years required zero intervention and the majority of the rest were cleared up with a single phone call. A few have been hassles, but even most of those were (eventually) paid. In dollars, i've easily received back over 99.9% of the rebates I sent in. Possibly over 100% if counted another way (getting rebates that were not offered, but not being a tard about it). That's a different story. ;)

I've had so many incredible deals after rebate over the years I can't imagine paying full price for certain items anymore. I have about $400 in rebates currently out and I doubt any of those will go unpaid. All those companies have excellent payment records (Targus, Canon, EVGA, HP, Corsair, Creative, etc). That said, there are certainly companies that I would avoid (LeadTek and KWorld, to name two).

If someone wants to avoid rebates, they can. Others, like me, don't share the same view.

Sure, but would it not be even better to get a better price right away? Would it not be better to pay $50 than paying $70 and then get $20 back after a few weeks and having to deal with MIR? It's not like we don't get rebates, it's just that it's cut directly from the price at the store.

this sucks, I purchased 2 HiS 4870's when they came out =( I've always had good products from HiS and never had to contact them :(

Wow am I glad I never had to go through that, in the end I guess you live and learn, I will never purchase another HiS video card, except for that noise dampener! I"M IN FOR TWO! think you can sli them?

being screwed out of rebates is the worst, ive been there.. :(

fuck HIS

Sure, but would it not be even better to get a better price right away? Would it not be better to pay $50 than paying $70 and then get $20 back after a few weeks and having to deal with MIR? It's not like we don't get rebates, it's just that it's cut directly from the price at the store.
That's not the main reason I do rebates. Usually the items I buy with rebates *start* off cheaper than buying it elsewhere and then the rebate is icing on the cake. And certain types of items always come with a rebate to get the best deal on it. I also do buy some stuff that may be a little more expensive before rebate, but it becomes *much* cheaper after rebate. For example, here are things I bought in the last two months or so with rebates:

• Corsair DHX 4GB DDR2-800 kit $90 before rebate, $60AR, cheapest price elsewhere for the same item: $105 + shipping
  • 4 pack of 80mm fans $5 before rebate, $0AR, cheapest price elsewhere for the same item: $5 (same store, sale is over now & back to $15)
  • Targus Leather notebook bag $30 before rebate, $20AR, cheapest price elsewhere for the same item: $40 + shipping
  • *Retail* HP 20x DVD burner/lightscribe drive $40 before rebate, $20AR, cheapest price elsewhere for the same item: $40 + shipping ($26 + shipping for the bare drive, not the same though)
  • evga 9600GT SSC $120 before rebate, $60AR, cheapest price elsewhere for the same item: $138 + shipping
  • evga 8800GTS 512MB $200 before rebate, $100AR, cheapest price elsewhere for the same item: $189 + shipping
Except for the fans, I don't have to settle for odd-ball brands to get a deal. :p

Like I said, avoid rebates if you want. I'm more than happy to take advantage of any rebates to get the best deals on stuff I want. If you have a better way of getting hardware for a fraction of even mail order prices (especially PSUs, cases and memory), don't be quiet about it.

Rebates are a scam, period, whether paid out or not. If the companies really wanted to make it fair, they'd reduce the costs to the retailers.

Just to correct you: MIR's are due to the company that makes the product, not the reseller.

Since BestBuy has moved to all instant rebates, I have bought more there than before. I'd rather pay an extra ten dollars or so and know I get the price right away rather than waiting forever for a rebate that may never come.

I got a BFG GS series 650w PSU there for about $15 more than online, but no MIR. Plus, buying 2 ATi 4850's at $150 each still is hard to find. IN fact, a quick search of the egg finds the cheapest as 149 after MIR, pluys shipping. SO as long as B&M stores carry the product I need and offer HALFWAY decent prices, I never intend to do another MIR again...

Oh, and HIS =blacklisted for shadiness, plus that bogus video noise card...wow.

Shit, I've even gotten my $5 Xigmatek rebate. Corsair $20, and a few others, my handwriting sucks but I do try to do a good job making sure I fill it all out correctly. But I've never had a single one try to hassle me or deny anything. I almost didn't fill out the $5 one out of laziness but figured why not... worst comes to worst I lost a stamp and some paper...

The only one I'm still waiting on is my $20 rebate with Sapphire for a 4850, But that was the middle of July and I usually give 3 months minimum for rebates.

O-shit... this thread reminded me, I gotta fill out that Asus rebate for $10... Brings that 3450 down to $20 from $30 :D

Fuck HIS and OCZ!!!

They are both blacklisted.

I went through the same thing about 2 years ago with OCZ and a $50 MIR. But guess what, I have not bought an OCZ product since, and I have spent a few thousand dollars building computers for myself, friends and family and to sell. The last one I built cost me a little over $3,000 in parts to build. I used g.skill ram instead of OCZ ram even they though they had cheaper ram.

Oh yeah, and I am going to be buying a new 4870 next week cause I just put up my 8800 GTS on ebay yesterday. Guess what brand I am not going to buy?

Anyways, just wanted to show support!

I refuse to buy any products that have a MIR - no matter how good it is - because I consider the idea highly dishonest. They take advantage of the fact that the redemption rate tends to be very low (I've heard 25% is considered standard) and then they only mail out a fraction of that. If they really wanted to give the customer a deal then they'd give the discount at the cash register.

Then there's the fact that I'm in Canada, and most of the MIR centers (especially for electronics) are US based. You get a cheque from an American bank which can take weeks to clear - that only adds to the time you waited for your money. Thanks but no thanks.

I just got a email from HIS stating that they received my rebate and it is currently being processed. :eek:

on a relevant note.. FRYS REBATES SUCK ASS.......

i got my rebate from them a couple weeks ago..... took about 2 months in total from when i sent it off.

i really do hate MIR's !!

I just got a letter in the mail from some rebate processing house.. basically saying the same thing. That my rebate was declined because my packing slip was "photocopied". I sent the original :mad:

I emailed newegg and I went to rebatestatus and send another email to them along with an attachment of a pdf of my invoice. I'm not expecting anything out of it, I do feel better about letting them know how pissed I am. This is the first time I have EVER had a problem with a rebate before.

Suck it HIS!

All MIR suck [h]ard core. Just mark the darn thing down. There are so many things I would buy on the spot except the price is after a MIR, which means I'm not going to spend my money.

There are so many things I would buy on the spot except the price is after a MIR, which means I'm not going to spend my money.

Same here. If there's a sale price on something I have to check to see if it's not instant. If it's not, then instant No Sale. But what's most annoying is the growing tendency for processors to refer to rebates as 'rewards'. WTF? Is that some kind of subliminal message telling me that if I actually somehow manage to get my owed money back that I deserve some kind of reward for it?

This is why I hate rebates. Newegg doesnt even always send an invoice in the package. Although there are two other ways to see an invoice at newegg, in your account details and your last email from them. So they do give you all the info you need.

Well, their policy can put you in a jam too. They said on the rebate form that they can't send a payment to a P.O. Box but my credit card billing address is my P.O. Box. In any case, I just sent in my rebate for my HIS HD4670. I only chose HIS because they had the most silent cooler. I really don't trust their rebate thing and I don't even like the idea.

It would be better for the customer to pay $10 or $20 less but they know that ends up in their pocket anyway if the customer doesn't follow exactly to the letter their instructions. And even if you do, they can still decline to pay.

There should be a law to make that illegal for computer hardware because they've gone way too far with this crap and it's criminal.

@ OP, sorry to here about this. I will never buy an HIS card again.

Oh yeah, wtf is this shit?
00-997-026-03.jpg

I always suspected HIS were junk. Now I have my confirmation. Thanks OP. Blacklisted. And this noise reduction card is such a scam as well. $80 for nothing. You can tell they don't respect their customers.

From the HIS product page: http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=340&view=yes

Got to love this bullet point from the product page. Yes, that's the entire bullet. It's not cut off. Notice the words "clear picture" in quotes. I guess that's their way of saying it does nothing.

It can eliminate the noise generate from high-end card such as 8800GTX, GTS graphic card to provide a "clear picture" when they play can

Looking closely at the picture I don't think those caps are even connected to the PCI-E slot. There doesn't appear to be any traces connecting that stuff on the PCB.

I always suspected HIS were junk. Now I have my confirmation. Thanks OP. Blacklisted. And this noise reduction card is such a scam as well. $80 for nothing. You can tell they don't respect their customers.

From the HIS product page: http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=340&view=yes

Got to love this bullet point from the product page. Yes, that's the entire bullet. It's not cut off. Notice the words "clear picture" in quotes. I guess that's their way of saying it does nothing.

Looking closely at the picture I don't think those caps are even connected to the PCI-E slot. There doesn't appear to be any traces connecting that stuff on the PCB.

PCB's can have circuitry on any layer, with up to like 32 layers I think it is. For a simple R/C circuit like that, the traces could easily be in the middle as there is nothing to interfere with. Still, I highly doubt that card does anything at all.

EDIT: This page says it works too: http://www.digit-life.com/articles3/monitor/his-iclear.html

HIS is on my black-list due to this thread! :mad:

Thanks for the post. ;)

Well, if you people are going to along with that maybe include NCIX and OCZ. They scammed me once for $40. Usually, I don't even bother saying it. But $40 is a lot more than $10 and very noticeable.

Well, if you people are going to along with that maybe include NCIX and OCZ. They scammed me once for $40. Usually, I don't even bother saying it. But $40 is a lot more than $10 and very noticeable.

um... NCIX is a retailer not a brand so how did they scam you? I buy form ncix all the time and if there is a rebate problem that they cna helpw ith they do everything they can to help.

So there's no $600 card with $500 rebate forms?
A few years ago Dell had a Dimension 8200 Pentium 4 system with $600 in rebates. The net price was $70. I pimped mine out for $170AR, and it came with a Radeon 9700 which back then alone cost more than that. :D

Just like kyle I photographed all the items, me putting them into the envelope and to add to it, I took a short video with my Nikon P&S of me dropping it in the mail box. I also added on the back of each UPC my rebate number as I "pre-registered". It was for a Canon rebate. I got back 700 dollars.

Hmmm, I have a HIS 4850 in the mail, hopefully I don't get screwed on the rebate as it's only a $20 rebate and its sort of a hassle to deal with it for only $20 anyway. Maybe if I put a post-it note on there saying "Yes, this IS the original packing slip" it might help :rolleyes:

Beware Diamond Multimedia rebates as well. I sent half a dozen unresponded emails over the last 2 months about a $50 video card rebate I sent in. The first couple I sent were given a response from a real person (not a canned autoreply) then nothing. For 2 months. Until I wrote up a particularly nasty one mentioning such popular terms as fraud and BBB. I got a response in exactly 1hr36min (timestamps lol) that my rebate check would be in the mail within the week.

well newegg responded pretty quickly... I like their response so far.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

I have forwarded this issue to our related department to review. They will in turn contact the manufacturer for further information and assistance. I will keep you updated once there is a response. Please rest assured that we will help you get the rebate as long as you are eligible for the rebate. We are sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and patience on this matter.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Nell Wang

I'd like to update this thread.... Some time after sending an angry email to the rebate company, I was told my rebate was being "reprocessed." I received the rebate within a week. That's good.

It's amazing what gets done when you get a little shitty with people. That said, this thread is still important, because as I understand it, a significant amount of other people have had this exact same problem. That's bad.

Back