Gateway P-7805u $1050 @ BB

BMWfreak

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I think this is very HOT !

If any of you are in the market for a gaming 17" laptop, and you were mourning the demise of 7811FX your worries and search should be over.

Best Buy is selling the new Gateway p7805u, which is the new BB iteration of their FX line. The specs are literally the same, except for 320GB HDD and 1GB Vid Ram. The computer is not even on their website, yet. You have to go to the store and have them search item no #9172511, it should come up.

For the LA people, I just got one from West LA Best Buy (Pico/Sawtelle), they had a total of 2 in stock and most of the stocks were showing stock in the system. Be on their case, while you talk to them, because this is a new inventory and they don't seem to know where they put it !

Please review the thread over at the Notebookreview forums for more information.

Happy hunting,
DK

It's not actually any better spec-wise the the 7811fx or the 7801u. Just like the Asus gaming laptop, moving from 512mb of video memory to 1gb will show no appreciable difference. So the only real improvement in configuration is the larger HDD, but those are getting larger and cheaper so it's pretty much expected.

The price however, is very Hot.

3140207950_93e843897a.jpg

3140202968_be726d3b09.jpg

Thank you, I just got mine.

Edit: For KristalKristov@Slickdeals...

3140208884_12337eb529_b.jpg

3139369923_17cecd23b8.jpg

3140201120_53c4c37c93.jpg

* identical to the P-7801u being sold @ newegg., even though it mentions only a 1440x900 screen, it's actually a 1920x1200 LG panel (no ghost or white spots on mine, a little bleading from the bottom and top, but nothing extraordinary)

Initial Report on the Gateway P-7805U

3dmark06

3140651656_e7b70586ef.jpg

3dmark vantage

3143189659_dcf4c4afe7.jpg

Max TZS0 = 65 C
Max TZS1 = 65C
Max Core0 = 54C
Max Core1 = 51C
Max GPU = 72Ca (now 68C after a few swipe of STG1)
Max HDD = 53C

Not bad.

Good score, that 3Dmark score is exactly what you see with a 7811fx. So, no difference in performance shown so far but it is like getting a new 7811fx for a steal.

no difference? this model has better cooling, no?

After an hour of COD4 playing, HWMonitor reports that Max TZS0-1 topped at 65C and the GPU only hit a max 72C (so exactly like when I run 3DMark06)

These are at stock everything...

Has anyone opened this laptop up to check the GPU? I'm wondering if it is MXM or not.

If you have checked, please let me know what you found.

Thanks

the GPU is soldered on the mobo, if that's what you meant, Kuromizu. Just like in all FX gateway notebooks.

Yeah, that's what I mean.
I was thinking about replacing my old 9300 with this one (i got rid of my 7811 because of the screen issues). It would have sealed the deal if it was at least mxm 3. Still a good laptop though, just less sure about buying.

Faulty GPU fan?

I just picked one up. The GPU fan (I think, the left side fan?) might be faulty. It makes this very slight clicking noise and works it's way up to sound like a vibration. The CPU fan (right side) is nice and silent. Any ideas?

If it's faulty, why not take it back?
It's brand new so I wouldn't go digging in there to fix it. Just go back to the store and they'll probably switch it for you. Otherwise call gateway. You've got a warranty after all.

Only problem is that it's ridiculously hard to find this in stock... I had hell of a time getting this one, and I'm not looking forward to making the trip back there =\

How is the included sound? I know most laptops are not all that great but is this 2,3,4 or whatever + sub ????????

If this is the same sound system as the 7811 then, in my opinion, it's mediocre at best.

Actually, compared to my 4 year old dell 9300, it's downright bad. There doesn't seem to be a sub and the 2 speakers it has are pretty weak. You'll want to toss on some decent headphones or get some speakers with this

Still doesn't make it a bad laptop. It's actually a pretty impressive one. It just has its shortcomings.

(keep in mind, that's if they're not improved over the 7811)

The P-7805u FX does support RAID. I just added another 320Gb WD 7200rpm drive and in the bios you will now have a third option (RAID) for configuration,

Thanks for the answer so the next question is there a restore DVD? If we do the raid0 we'll loose the original install.........

I'm wondering if there's a way to mod in higher quality speakers. Any ideas? That's really holding me back on this laptop since I watch so many movies on my current one.

@TANWare,

Gateway Restoration Managemenet software advices and will let you create the restore DVDs (or CDs) and a seperate Application and Drivers DVD (CDs) so that you can...

1. Restore the system as factory...

2. If you RAID 0, you'll have to use a seperate OS installer (64-bit recommended since you have 4GB DDR3) and just use the seperate Applications and Drivers DVD (CDs).

* you'll probably want to do a reinstall + application/drivers dvd since the system factory restore is going to put a 10Gb shadow drive, even if you don't RAID0.

@Kuromizu, the speakers are excellent. They don't crackle up like the HP HDX's in full volume. And there's a bunch of tweaks too, like room acoustic compensation...etc...

Thanks for the reply, presently I have a XT5000T and the default install uses a 4 gig shadow drive. I have no problem giving it up nor with a 640 gig raid giving up 10 gigs.

Thinking of purchasing this laptop but the 3 bestbuys near me do not have this in stock. one bestbuy does have the 7805u model on display, but i kinda want the 7807 for the little extra cpu speed. Should i get the floor model and get it a little cheaper or wait for the faster CPU one and fork out 200 bucks more for the 2.4Ghz.

Well, I just heard that bestbuy raised the price of this to $1150. It looks like I'll be holding out for the price to go back down or for the dell studio 17 to get a 4850 and DDR3 in it lol.
Either way, I'll be happy.

It's funny how only $100 seemed to be the tipping point for most people. I was about to purchase one on Monday until I found out about the price hike.

They also said the WXGA screen is really the actual specs for this model. Lucky for us early adopters I guess.

Well, as long as the WXGA is an LG it should be fine. Some might consider the resolution downgrade useful for logevity purposes.

So, I'm selling my old dell 9300 this week and preparing to get a new 17" laptop. Even though the price is registering higher on this one, I may still be able to get it at $1049. I talked to a guy at my local bestbuy and he said the other stores in my area still show it at that price.

Here's my options:

(provided the gateway is 1920x1200 and $1049) Gateway 7805u FX

OR

Wait for the dell studio 17 to get updated to centrino 2.
I'd be buying pretty much the same config as the 7805u but with an LED screen and (hopefully) some variant of the mobile ATI R700.

I estimate the price of the dell to be around 1650 with the blu-ray slot loader and other features I mentioned.

Use: I may be traveling abroad to teach English next year so these would be replacing my desktop. I watch movies on my laptop a lot already and would like to be able to use it for graphic design work.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

I would jump on the 7805u FX if you can get it for $1050 - you can most likely resell it in a year for $1000. Besides, I think it's going to be a while before we see some decent R700 GPUs + Centrino 2 on the Dell Studio 17.

The 7805u is an excellent deal. I've been using a 7811 for a few months now, and I've been very pleased.

BB finally got ONE in today. got there around 1800hours, and paid 1040 + tax for it. it rang up close to 1300 but was like no no that not what is posted and they changed it =D.
so with the money saved bought the 3 years extra warrant just in case something bleeps up while i'm traveling back to japan in march. go [H]

I picked one of these up from Best Buy today....BUT...I haven't opened it yet!

The display model in the store had the full 1920x1200 resolution, but I haven't found any way of verifying the monitors resolution without opening the box. If I open the box and it's not the hi-res monitor, Best Buy will charge a 15% restocking fee!!!

Has ANYONE discovered a way of knowing which boxes have the 1920x1200 vs 1440x900 displays? Is there a list of serial numbers or something?
I'd hate to open mine up and find it's the low res version. :-(

There's a big thread on notebookreview.com of batch # and what screen it has, so far they've all been 1920x1200s, just some are LG panels (seem to be slightly better) and AUO screens which are not quite as good, but still more than acceptable for most. I had no problem removing the little round tape seal from mine and opening it though to check it, i could have easily resealed it had it been necessary.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=338221

Thanks Big Mike!! I somehow missed that site during my googling.
Now I'm just frustrated because most of the batches listed start with "H". My batch is an "I". Of the 2 listed starting with "I", the screens are 1 LG & 1 AUO.
*sigh*
At least I should be getting the hi-res version by the looks of it. Time to open and find out! I'll see if I can peel the sticker, but when I checked earlier it seemed pretty solid.

hey hey! that's my post over there at notebook review. If you guys bought one of these notebooks, please post your info over there. So far I haven't got enough to say anything definitive about batch number/screen relations.

Did you guys get an OS / driver DVD with ya'll purchase? i dont think mine came with one =/ wanted to format all the crap they put on this and have a nice clean install. guess i have to call gateway and have them send me one.

No DVDs with mine, I don't think hardly anyone still includes DVDs/CDs with laptops now, they want you to burn your own. On this machine there's a gateway recovery application in the programs menu that will burn the DVDs of the applications/drivers/vista/etc onto 3 DVDs should you need to reinstall. Gateway will only send you media if the recovery app won't create the DVDs for you.

I have been hedging and hawing but FEAR got the best of me. Now I don't mean the game but my present laptop. Since it is my main system I can't afford it being down and it is a XT5000T from Everex. These are now infamouse for sudden screen/gpu death. I also have it as raid0 so I would be unrecoverable and have tempted fate by also having a TL-64 in it as well.

I've had the present system for 19 months and was hoping to go 24 months but I have the money now and the deal was too irresistable. I've always wanted the extra screen real estate too, especially with Vista. Sound, other than basic, has nevver swayed me on a laptop so that is no biggie either. So I placed the order for pickup on the web and will get it later today.

Back