Gateway P-7805u $1050 @ BB

Well i went looking at the 3 local Best Buys near me and could not find one of these in stock. I look even 1 state over and still nothing. So when i got back home i went online and ordered it from Best Buy online and selected over night delievery. It says i should have it by weds or Thurs of this week. I sure hope they have these in stock and there is no delay. Cant wait to get it.

Got mine. I now have to get used to the keyboard. A bit unusual as it is short by comparison to a standard one. running 3dmarks 03,05 and 06 just trounce the 7600Go from the old laptop.

I had, and am having, issues with the power brick. it just doesn't want to stay on. It looks like a bad connection between the brick and the power chord. For now I'll use the Targus 180w I have.

1920x1200 Goodness too...........

Windows Games Rating is 5.2, CPU = 5.2, memory = 5.9, Desktop = 5.9, 3d Business = 5.9, Disk = 5.8.

3D Mark06 = 8618

the memory is not standard DDR2 sodimm. My old laptop used DDR2 pc800. The chips do not line up..........

Edit;
SiSandra lists them as DDR2 2GB/64 @ 667 Mhz
The spd's list as DDR3

Hey if anyone is interested in a brand new in box P9500, pm me.. This will work great in that laptop.

Well i just got an email from Best Buy telling me that my Laptop has shipped today so i may see it tomorrow or Weds. Cant Wait.................

At first I was thinking of raiding the drive as raid0 but it seems fast enough by itself. Since there is a second drive bay I am thinking of a 500 Gig.

The problem is that the retail stores don't show any of these in their warehouse. I checked all local BB and they are not in stock and they do not foresee them in stock for another 2 weeks.

PS- I don't know if anyone noticed, but as of today its on sale for $1049 again

Yep i looked all over for one and had to order it online and i got mine for 1049.00. I will check tonight for an updated shipping status to see when it is suppose to arrive. Also i cant seem to find any accessories for it that pertain to that laptop. Anyone know of a good Lapboard to use with it and a good cooler?

I saw it in the weekly ad then put it on order for pickup. It was available in 4 of the stores per thier web site this morning, now it is only in one store..............

Would setting the resolution to 1440x900 be that bad? Or is it better to look for a laptop that comes with 1440x900 as default?

Also, does bestbuy charge a restocking fee on laptops and how many days to return it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?type=page&contentId=1117177044087&id=cat12098

14 days, if you open it there's a 15% restock fee.

It won't be terrible at a non native resolution but it'll look best at 1920x1200. You might want to fiddle with font sizes etc before you just turn the resolution down below the native res. If you leave the vista installation on it it appears to be slightly tweaked anyways. I just fresh installed XP and its TINY.

Personally I went without the extended warenty. I probably should have learned my lesson with the XT5000T but with computers I've had a fair bit of luck. So far this seems to be more than fast enough and I plan few if any upgrades.

As it stands I can see adding a 500 Gig for storage and maybe a cpu upgrade later on. I'm not a gamer but machines built around that usually are great PC's. They are built well above hardware standards for just desktop usage giving them a future proof edge.

Fortunately without glasses I have 40/10 and with glases 20/10 vision so even though the text is small I am no where near being strained reading the screen on a long term bassis. I can see where most older people will have a real issue with this machine but with the 120 over 96 DPI text setting it should help.

Edit:
I am one of those older users, as I turned 51 in November.

Well if all goes well my laptop should be waiting for me when i get home today according to the UPS site. Really looking forward to testing this thing out. I saw that some were already looking at upgrades for this laptop. Got any suggestions for me? I do game quite a bit and thats why i purchased it. Thanks

Only thing I really hate is the rim. all around it is a grove. if you wear a watch, and I do, the watch band tends to get caught in it.

Well UPS just dropped it off at my house and its as cold as a block of ice so it will be a little while before i can power it up. But so far so good. Ill let you know how it goes lol.

Well UPS just dropped it off at my house and its as cold as a block of ice so it will be a little while before i can power it up. But so far so good. Ill let you know how it goes lol.

It will thaw out quickly. The keyboard is a bit weird but overall a nice machine.

I got mine with no issues at the store. Just got in and opened it, 1920 res, like the others. How sweet. Time to fiddle around with it and restore the damn thing.

so far three dislikes, actually four.

1.) the power brick keeps shutting down. This is my problem though and have placed a trouble ticket for it with Gateway. My old Targus 180w saved me here for now.

2.) the side lip and my watch band. Argh...............

3.) No shortcut key to disable the touchpad, or auto disable with a mouse in place.

4.) I like Gadgets and not all available to 32 bit are available to 64 bit.

I have only had to do slight changes to suit my likes/needs.

1.) Removed Norton and installed Avast.

2.) Enabled Windows Defender.

3.) Disabled/removed the page file.

Ok got it up and running and i must say so far i am really impressed. Mine also has the 1920 X 1200 Screen so i am very pleased with that. It is taking some getting use to on the keyboard but thats just small issue. SO far its very fast and very nice. I will update when i know more about it once i install a game or so.

I see on NewEgg people are already on the 7811's putting in T9600's. Is there any word how far these can go? Can we Quad, and then the question is "to Quad or not too Quad"?

These should be able to take a Quad with the right BIOs. There is a Packard Bell that is essentially the same chasis with a Quad .

yes, upgrading. Over at the site first mentioned in this thread there is a user with a Q9100 (mobile quad) on order. Our chipset supports this but I'll await their success before dropping about 500 on a chip. Our chips are 25w those are 45w a huge difference for the cooling solution.

Their is posted success with the T9600 but myself I'd go for the T9800 if I'm going to go for a 35w cpu. The thought though of a quad 2.26 gig is extreemly appealing and would future proof the system for quite some time. A QX9300 would probably be nicer though..........

I was able to find an ebay auction for this notebook and it had a blu-ray drive. it appears that the company upgraded the notebook with the following drive: HL CT10N BD ROM. That drive is just a reader and for the writer, you can use: LG GBW-T10N. I'm considering getting the burner in the next few weeks. I wonder if you have to use that exact drive or if any 12.7mm drive would work.

How do you change the res to 1440x900 or 1680x1050?

Yes, I looked in the normal place and nv control panel and those two resolutions were not an option.

Sorry, but 1920x1200 is just way to small. =)

Also, if I bought it and took it back. How would bestbuy know that its been opened, is it in some type of sealed package or what?

If anyone has this backpack http://www.amazon.com/PEGASUS-Swiss...UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1231444551&sr=8-10 . Does the laptop fit?

Or anyone else with a swissgear backpack that fits this laptop, let me know which backpack you have.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think it will support those. If the text is too small you could change to 120 DPI but this does not enlarge ALL text. If thd terxt is too small you are better off finding a system with a native resolution suitable for your needs......

I don't think it will support those. If the text is too small you could change to 120 DPI but this does not enlarge ALL text. If thd terxt is too small you are better off finding a system with a native resolution suitable for your needs......

Are there any disadvantages to change dpi to 120?

anyone know a way to disable the stupid windows key? the ctrl button to small and i keep hitting that and minimizing my games =/

Back