Skynet!!

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009

OK, so I'm reserving a thread for my franken-rig. Hopefully this thing will let me compete with Tiger some day when its done
(along with a few other tricks Ive got)

Anyways, here's the parts Ive got so far

r081h0.jpg

14jqbrc.jpg

fn44cm.jpg

Opteron 8347 - 8 Total (32 cores / 60.8 Ghz total)

Hynix 2GB PC2 5300 - 16 Total (32 GB)

8 Low Profile All Copper Heat Sinks

TYAN S4985G3NR Thunder n4250QE Quad 1207 - Awaiting the 4P Sister board

CORSAIR 750TX - 750w + 2 8pin CPU plugs

Last edited:
First Build!
16 Core (30.4 Ghz) 32 GB RAM

Rig Contains:
Tyan Main Mobo - 4 Socket
4x Opteron 8347's
32 GB RAM
74 GB Raptor HDD
750 Watt Corsair 750TX + adapters

OK, so here is the first update. Ive got a rough "bench" done so I can build this thing and not worry about the weight of the heat sinks damaging the board. Yea, its wood, get over it, its cheap :) . Anyways, Ive got ventilation under the 4 sockets, 2 holes under the chip sets, and a few just to help with heat and weight under the expansion slots. The tray will keep 2 PSU's, a HDD, and a DVD drive above the board so the heat isnt right beside the board. There is enough room under the tray for 2 120 mm fans to blow air across the board. I was gonna paint it, but I'll prolly build another nicer looking one, and I'll paint that, but this will do for now. Also, I have standoffs in the holes and supports under the HS back plates to keep the board 3/8"off the wood, just enough to help with heat issues. Mobo is also held in place with small supports to keep it from sliding off when I move the rig.
ei5htz.jpg

Here's the Mobo on the bench
1124w87.jpg

With the HS's Mounted
slqpnb.jpg

erhjlt.jpg

MOAR Pics to follow!!

Biggest challenge, trying to build a platform for this to go on right now (way too big for normal cases)

Last edited:
Totally respect CPU only rigs. I've often thought of doing something similar myself.

I have been curious to see what the sisterboard looks like installed in the motherboard. Hard to find it online.

Impressive rig you got building there!

This should be todays random H sighting lol, or put it with the folding update lol

It's gonna be nice, Vault. Can't wait to see it finished and in production.

I didn't know that "Skynet!!" meant I needed to change my pants after looking at this thread. Damn you Vaulter.

Anyone have any pics of the sister-board and how it connects to the motherboard?

yup, here is the manual for the sister board, best I could find

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KW9QYDPN
OK, I just upped it so give it a second

and does anyone know how I could submit this for H sighting of the day? I'll put it up tomorrow if I can send it to the right guy

So how do they connect to each other?

(the manual won't load, says the file is unavailable)

So how do they connect to each other?

(the manual won't load, says the file is unavailable)

There are two daughterboards that connect to the other one. Not sure how it is stabilized on there, maybe metal rods?

that does look sexy, but the expansion is expensive :p, for that price you could get a complete i7 system. I searched on ebay when I found out about these, couldn't find any.

I mean how are they connected for data?
Take a look at Vaulter's motherboard shot above, see those two female header connectors in the middle of the CPU area? Plugs into those. The daughter board has the male pins.

Edit: ahh, they are slots not pin headers.

Last edited:
Per the manual, they are just 2 PCIx16 slots, and there is 2 PCB's that connect them. Based on other forums the second board sits 60mm or so above that slot

Yea, it's costly, but for what I picked up this much it was a good deal. I'll play with the add on later when funds are available
Right now i'm at lowes getting some handles so I can make a board big enough for this to run naked and still move it LOL

I'll post more pics as the night goes on. It'll be kind of red neck but no more so than running a normal rig naked
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

EDIT
OK, I got called in to work, so this stops here for tonight, but tomorrow I'll finish my "mobile bench" and finish putting the rig together
As for now, I'll update a few pics and call it a night. I've got some linux Distro's on my netbook tho so I'll play around with that tonight

Question tho, for those 8 pin PSU plugs, my PSU has 1 and 1 4 pin, but I need another 8 pin, I can just use a molex to 8 pin conversion correct? I mean, Ive done it before on other mobo's, why not this one too?

Last edited:
Anyone know what the approx. ppd for one of these quad systems are? Just looking for comparison numbers with an i7.

Anyone know what the approx. ppd for one of these quad systems are? Just looking for comparison numbers with an i7.

the quad sockets? if its 4x4 then it will do roughly 75-80% better then an i7 since the clock speeds are much lower.. but then if you get in the 6x4 realm then who the heck knows.. :p

With bios update yup, the other reason I sprung for it

Did t get to play in Linux like I wanted too, got to work and fired up so e halo2 real quick, not even an hour into my shift I got hit with snow control and spent the next 6 hours on dispatch
Ug

but, I'm trying to figure outwhere to mount the power supplies now so I can finish this build

Ok, it's justgonna be naked tho, the cases were way to pricey

Anyways, had to remove all the cpus and change all the back plates because the board is designed to work with their case so there was no place for the hsf to mount

Fortunatley they were kind enough to put in new plates so you could run it without

Lesson learned for trying to rush into this project

the quad sockets? if its 4x4 then it will do roughly 75-80% better then an i7 since the clock speeds are much lower.. but then if you get in the 6x4 realm then who the heck knows.. :p

So you're saying that this can pump out almost 45k ppd? Wowza. CPU folding just got important again.

So you're saying that this can pump out almost 45k ppd? Wowza. CPU folding just got important again.

well if you figure running 2 bid adv VM's(since no one has gotten a VM that works across all 16 cores yet).. and you count the bonus you could be talking twice that number.. but i dont know for sure and there really arent to many numbers on the net talking about em yet.. even with the slower clocks it should do better then the i7 since the i7's not a true 8 core system.. but vaulter is everyones Guinea pig right now until we get the numbers :p

This system when running all 32 cores will net you approx 44k PPD.

You can get the expansion board on newegg for only $600, most other places are around 1k

well, I stopped to reload XP on my 295 folder, it was acting up
But, I'm almost done with the "bench" for it, I just have to put on a PSU tray (I cut the last one too small lol) and then I'll be good. I should paint it but I'm not sure If I should do that now and lose a day or what. I'll probly just leave it bare wood for now.

Once I get it done I'll put up some pics and get crackin on a native install of Linux (if I can survive it lol)

I'd probably paint it first 'cause afterwards you'll be too paranoid to quit the bigadv work units :-P

That's just how I would feel anyway lol.

gotta get ready for work again, but I put up a few more pics, check the front page to see them! Hopefully I can get this rig online soon, PSU is all hooked up, all thats left is to push the button lol

Back