Skynet!!

Yea congrats. This is gonna be SICK. Too bad they don't make a case for it, like those dual sided cubes...

Yea congrats. This is gonna be SICK. Too bad they don't make a case for it, like those dual sided cubes...
There are cases for almost any motherboard but you have to look hard and they usually don't come cheap. I think one of my old cases should accommodate this board, or a few minor modifications will make it work. I measured it in the past for quad-socket boards and it does actually fit the smaller ones. There is a dual Xeon board in there now. Quad-socket systems are normally way too expensive for the PPD obtained, unless you can find a major discount on the components to build one on the cheap (relatively speaking).

Best of luck Vaulter. This build is only a distant dream for most people. Consider yourself extremely fortunate! :cool:

There are plenty of cases just nothing affordable.

I was going to mount it to rackmount shelf and use threaded rods to support the mobos and HSFs

I mentioned this thread to someone on another forum who is doing a build with the same motherboard, and he made this comment:
Tell him he only needs to plug in the 4-pin ATX cable if he's using quad-rank ECC RAM - so if he's not, then he'd be better off getting a 4pin-8pin adapter than a molex-8pin adapter for the second CPU pair.
Hope it helps.

Ok, well, for those not in the DC forum, I ran I to some trouble with the heatsinks. As I don't have the money for 8 at a time, i'm gonna buy 2 and see if they do good.

It won't be online for a week now as it is, maybe I'll get my rack out to the house and I can put this up on a shelf on the basement.

As it stands, this is kind of funny, but since the heatsinks are 100% copper I stacked two on top of eachother, went from 72 to 63 in 3 minutes LOL
I managed to get into whs with 1 quad and 2 sticks, so the mobo should be good ( I wanted to test asap in case I needed to rma )

As for the case issue, I've stretched myself as thin as I could go financially and I'm still selling parts from my old farm. I'll build a better bench that will fit in my rack some day, but this is good for now

Atleast I know it works, can't wait to get the new heat sinks in and start getting some 16 core action going on
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

And fir value, as long as it competes with 4 GX2s then I've not lost anything, I'll only use less power too

And fir value, as long as it competes with 4 GX2s then I've not lost anything, I'll only use less power too
Four GX2s would net you over 50,000 PPD with 353-pt WUs but less with other WUs. I have no idea what this quad-socket build could accomplish with -bigadv WUs. I know it will probably be higher but it will depend on the processor speed and I am unfamiliar with quad-core Opteron performance. I have a dual dual-core Opteron machine but that is older pre-Barcelona architecture.

There's greater risk running -bigadv clients than there is GPU clients with regards to WU stability, but like you mentioned less power consumption. So, trade offs in both types of clients. You purchased the components less than they normally can be acquired for, at least that's my understanding, but I really don't know what it will end up costing you in the end. In terms of longevity, it's hard to say which direction is superior, however there is always the expansion board option.

It is a great project no matter what the outcome. I've been interested in quad-sockets and higher since the 90s, when Intel released the quad socket-8 platform for Pentium Pro processors. Years later, I purchased a Hex-socket ALR Revolution 6X6 for cheap, which I still have in mothballs equipped with Overdrive processors. I have experience in socket counts above duals albeit with very obsolete hardware, and fully understand the excitement you are experiencing.

Four GX2s would net you over 50,000 PPD with 353-pt WUs but less with other WUs. I have no idea what this quad-socket build could accomplish with -bigadv WUs. I know it will probably be higher but it will depend on the processor speed and I am unfamiliar with quad-core Opteron performance. I have a dual dual-core Opteron machine but that is older pre-Barcelona architecture.

There's greater risk running -bigadv clients than there is GPU clients with regards to WU stability, but like you mentioned less power consumption. So, trade offs in both types of clients. You purchased the components less than they normally can be acquired for, at least that's my understanding, but I really don't know what it will end up costing you in the end. In terms of longevity, it's hard to say which direction is superior, however there is always the expansion board option.

It is a great project no matter what the outcome. I've been interested in quad-sockets and higher since the 90s, when Intel released the quad socket-8 platform for Pentium Pro processors. Years later, I purchased a Hex-socket ALR Revolution 6X6 for cheap, which I still have in mothballs equipped with Overdrive processors. I have experience in socket counts above duals albeit with very obsolete hardware, and fully understand the excitement you are experiencing.

longevity wise this rig should be better then a gpu.. this is all server hardware.. its designed to take abuse 24/7 and last for ever.. hence why they are underclocked and undervolted processors compared to what we get in the consumer market(phenom II)

performance wise it should be close to what the xeon's get.. but i believe this setup also has the ability to overclock unlike the xeons dual socket setups..

I played around in the bios lastnight but forgot to look for OC options
I don't think there are any if I remember right, but slash just did software OC I think

pics....

WE WANT
Kyle_Moar.jpg

Theres not OC options, but since its a nforce chipset, a software oc should be possible.

Wonder if it'd be better to go with a crazy water cooling setup instead. Might be cheaper than getting massive chunks of copper. ;)

passively cooled chunks of copper,

or

Water cooled chunks of copper and better clock speeds if OC is possible.

I'm thinking the decision is obvious. but WC might be more expensive to setup. maybe we should make a community project and help him get some parts he wants.

or

I'm thinking the decision is obvious. but WC might be more expensive to setup. maybe we should make a community project and help him get some parts he wants.

Extremely more expensive.
Is the reason I bought those in the first place.

The 2u actively cooled HSFs were expensive and loud, and since these CPUs are the 1.9s they dont get as hot so i figured i would buy several 140mm fans and attach it to the front and back of the setup to pull air through the whole thing.

Vaulter, it would probably be a better idea to buy a second mobo for the other four chips instead of getting the expansion board, since the board is actually about twice the cost of a new mobo. I suppose that's more of an issue for the future though. For now, a 16-core box should kick out a nice amount of PPD once you get it working.

longevity wise this rig should be better then a gpu.. this is all server hardware.. its designed to take abuse 24/7 and last for ever.. hence why they are underclocked and undervolted processors compared to what we get in the consumer market(phenom II)
I was thinking more in line with architecture longevity in regards to F@H performance, but I completely agree with you concerning wear and tear. GPUs are near if not the worst components when it comes to life expectancy, especially run 24/7.

performance wise it should be close to what the xeon's get.. but i believe this setup also has the ability to overclock unlike the xeons dual socket setups..
All my dual Xeon systems are OC'd, usually accomplished through software since BIOS functions cater to enterprise considerations above strict performance attainment.

I played around in the bios lastnight but forgot to look for OC options
I don't think there are any if I remember right, but slash just did software OC I think
There shouldn't be any but I haven't looked at these boards directly. My Tyans of the past including my Thunder K7 which is still folding, don't have any OC options at all. You would be lucky to have memory timing options in the BIOS.

Theres not OC options, but since its a nforce chipset, a software oc should be possible.
Agreed. Something should be available for it. There is a chance unlike pure server chipsets (Serverworks).

Wonder if it'd be better to go with a crazy water cooling setup instead. Might be cheaper than getting massive chunks of copper. ;)
Assuming that it would be a simple affair, WC a quad-socket would be vastly more expensive. OEM server copper HSFs are considerably cheaper than consumer high performance aftermarket all-copper HSFs, at least for my Xeon Supermicro setups they are.

or

Yes, but I believe Vaulter is on a strict budget. This doesn't appear to be a proof of concept project but a dedicated folding machine, and believe there is a budget mindset involved in its construction, but I'll let Vaulter confirm this.

It will take longer to design and implement a complex WC setup for quad-sockets than it would be to acquire decent copper HSFs, which are essentially off the shelf parts and only a click away. These are not enthusiast type of setups that lend themselves easily to modding, and transformed to become the creative product of a fertile mind. Dual sockets are difficult enough but quad sockets are vastly more difficult, and expensive. It pays to be conservative and stick to the tried and true for this project, at least in the beginning. Once the system is up and running, then something more elaborate can be attempted.

Vaulter, it would probably be a better idea to buy a second mobo for the other four chips instead of getting the expansion board, since the board is actually about twice the cost of a new mobo. I suppose that's more of an issue for the future though. For now, a 16-core box should kick out a nice amount of PPD once you get it working.
I totally agree with you Zero. Cost being a major factor here and the fact that there is security in numbers. If this system fails for whatever reasons, you lose all your production versus separate systems that are isolated from one another.

On top of that, there is the far greater ease of cooling the system with four sockets as opposed to eight, which could be a nightmare with this architecture because it's stacked on two planes. I remember the octal sockets having issues with sufficient cooling from reading about them a while ago. Stability will be increased with two separate systems since there will be less component cramming, and thus better airflow whether inside or outside an enclosure. Simply for the fact there will be less componentry in and of itself will probably increase stability (less things to go wrong). Case cooling considerations are dramatically lowered and probably will be easier to select an appropriate chassis for the build. Last but not least, there is the PSU(s) itself, which will need to be a much better grade for octal sockets. A lot to think about..

Last edited:
Good read Apollo
Anyways, just wanted to post a small update, got my work bonus in (125$ LOL, but I'm greatful) and finaly got my shipping info, it says on christmas eve I'll have 4 new heatsinks
Here's to a good christmas everyone!!

well vaulter, i'll be joining you in the 16-core club :) Bought the EDIT:*link dead*. It's pretty much a free upgrade since my board will resell for more. I'll just need to play around with adapters to power the board.
Arima 4OGCMGO2O-D4OO-1OO
8gb ddr2 ecc reg 667mhz
am2 heatsinks.

Last edited:
well vaulter, i'll be joining you in the 16-core club :) Bought the arima 4-socket board. It's pretty much a free upgrade since my board will resell for more. I'll just need to play around with adapters to power the board.
Arima 40GCMG020-D400-100
8gb ddr2 ecc reg 667mhz
am2 heatsinks.

That is an awesome deal. I almost want to jump on that. What Opterons are compatible with that?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That is an awesome deal. I almost want to jump on that. What Opterons are compatible with that?
The older 8000 quad core are compatible, newer cpu maybe not since Arima was sold, etc.
Please note the power connector is not standard (18-pin), and there's no manual/info anywhere.

Ah, well that could be a problem. I did notice they looked odd, but never counted them. I thought they were 20 pins. Good thing I didn't jump the gun... haha.

The older 8000 quad core are compatible, newer cpu maybe not since Arima was sold, etc.
Please note the power connector is not standard (18-pin), and there's no manual/info anywhere.
Do you have prospective PSUs in mind for this board? I also never seen 18-pin connectors and I'm skeptical if adapters exist for this configuration.

no, I'll just hope i'll be able to see on the board which pin is transporting what, and do some wiring from molex. *fingers crossed
I see. I was going to suggest a custom wiring job but know relatively little about that sort of thing. The most I have done in my experience was repairing damaged PSU board connectors, or modifying PSU wiring to run multiple units in tandem.

This sort of thing is above my skill level because it involves what appears to be proprietary hardware. If you run into an obstacle I'm sure some of the PSU wizards on this forum can help you out. Keep us posted.

no, I'll just hope i'll be able to see on the board which pin is transporting what, and do some wiring from molex. *fingers crossed
I think that will be a little more difficult than you are anticipating. If the 18-pin connector is keyed differently from the 24-pin ATX connector, you might have to jury-rig something, and as for figuring out the wire arrangement, the only way to do that would be to get it either from the motherboard manual (if they list it), or by taking a look at pictures of the actual male 18-pin connector and figuring out the pinout yourself.

If the 18-pin connector is keyed differently from the 24-pin ATX connector, you might have to jury-rig something, and as for figuring out the wire arrangement, the only way to do that would be to get it either from the motherboard manual (if they list it), or by taking a look at pictures of the actual male 18-pin connector and figuring out the pinout yourself.
Absolutely. You will need some diagram (hopefully detailed) before you attempt any kind of custom work, and even then it's not guaranteed to succeed. Fortunately it didn't cost you much.

In all honesty, the best thing you can do is locate the actual proprietary PSU that this board needs to run. This way no guessing is involved in the process. Having run (and still running) boards with proprietary power setups, it is much better to locate the components needed to make the system work than attempt to rig something up, unless you find someone who has experience with this setup before.

But if you find oneyou can use that as your "jig" to rig up another

contact the seller.

That guy sells a lot of arima equipment

thanks guys, looks like it's going to be [h]ard :p.
I'll try contacting arima (the seller doesn't know much). But I found ppl who bought the board who are going to try making it work over at xtremesystems.

Heatsinks are in!! God I hope they fit

Back