Skynet!!

It's a single rail PSU if that matters, to me that seems like the best bet considering
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Using adapters won't affect the amount of current supplied to the board. That depends entirely on the PSU and the board itself.
I agree to disagree. I have had too many PSU-related issues even recently with well manufactured new parts to be comforted by other people's apparent successes. I would err on the side of the manufacturer's recommendations, but that's just me and my personal concerns. People can run whatever they brung; I prefer to remove unnecessary doubt in complex builds such this one, in order to make troubleshooting an easier affair when it comes to that point, and it will. If the specified PSUs are but a click away, why run non-compliant parts?? :confused:

I agree to disagree. I have had too many PSU-related issues even recently with well manufactured new parts to be comforted by other people's apparent successes. I would err on the side of the manufacturer's recommendations, but that's just me and my personal concerns. People can run whatever they brung; I prefer to remove unnecessary doubt in complex builds such this one, in order to make troubleshooting an easier affair when it comes to that point, and it will. If the specified PSUs are but a click away, why run non-compliant parts?? :confused:
No offense, but although you may disagree, you're still wrong.

I can say with 100% certainty that running this mobo with adapters is a non-issue.

This board when fully populated with cpus will not pull enough current to overload a single EPS line or molex line.

Secondly this is a Single-rail PSU so its all coming from the same place.

Can we move on?

hmm, good points all. U fortunatley due to lack of funds I'm gonna side with zero on this...

Anyways, like I was saying, I'm siding with zero on this. If money weren't an issue I'd use a server box, but I did this project for 2 reasons.
To play around and learn some things (never attempted a build this large)
And because it will be cheaper to run than the box it replaced (from which the sale money made this an even trade, no extra moneys)
No problem Vaulter, I totally understand. Heck, I have two PSUs rigged to get my Skulltrail operational because at the time I purchased it last year, all the dual EPS PSUs were well over $300 not including tax and whatever else. So, in effect I saved at least $150, probably more because I didn't have to ship anything.

Like I posted earlier in the thread, I do NOT believe you have a PSU-related issue; I truly suspect it's in the memory subsystem. What precisely, I do not know for certain although what Nitro raised as a possibility has me intrigued. You really should check your modules to determine exactly what they are.

No offense, but although you may disagree, you're still wrong.
Zero, I don't want this to get out of hand but when someone writes a post like yours it's hard not to be at least minimally offended. It's like pointing out an error in code to someone who has been programing in C for over a decade. Even if there is a possibility in being wrong about this, would you run an $800 server board with adapters if you had a choice? It appears from your adamant tone that you would but for the life of me it escapes my understanding as to the reasons WHY.

Zero, I don't want this to get out of hand but when someone writes a post like yours it's hard not to be at least minimally offended. It's like pointing out an error in code to someone who has been programing in C for over a decade. Even if there is a possibility in being wrong about this, would you run an $800 server board with adapters if you had a choice? It appears from your adamant tone that you would but for the life of me it escapes my understanding as to the reasons WHY.
I would not use adapters if I had the ability to use hard-wired connectors. However, if faced with the choice to use adapters or not run a machine altogether, I would not hesitate to use them, because for the reasons which I have already explained, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. I can guarantee you that any issues experienced by a computer while using adapters occurred for some other reason, simply because due to the nature of the adapters we're talking about, it's impossible for them to cause any problems.

I would not use adapters if I had the ability to use hard-wired connectors. However, if faced with the choice to use adapters or not run a machine altogether, I would not hesitate to use them, because for the reasons which I have already explained, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. I can guarantee you that any issues experienced by a computer while using adapters occurred for some other reason, simply because due to the nature of the adapters we're talking about, it's impossible for them to cause any problems.
Maybe so, but I can attest to having issues with adapters in the past to the point that I shun them today. In one such case, the board wouldn't power up at all, but when I purchased a PSU with the required power connector it ran OK. This was a dual-socket board. Maybe things have improved today, I can't say with certainty but it makes me think twice about it.

Maybe so, but I can attest to having issues with adapters in the past to the point that I shun them today. In one such case, the board wouldn't power up at all, but when I purchased a PSU with the required power connector it ran OK. This was a dual-socket board. Maybe things have improved today, I can't say with certainty but it makes me think twice about it.
Well, then either the original PSU was faulty or insufficient, or the adapter was wired incorrectly. Electrically, there is no difference between using an adapter and using a hard-wired connector, aside from adding a bit of resistance to the line which is compensated for by the PSU.

Anyways

If I can find a stable confit tomorrow I'll let y'all know

I'm also leaning towards memory from what experience (very little) ivve had. Also, I only get the reboot when trying windows and it's when the disc is spinning Down. If it was power related I'd be led to believe the same thing would happen when I try Linux. The Linux issue just fails during install, but the system is still responsive to commands. I'm thinking maybe a bad burn of the ISO?

I'm hoping I can get a 4p 8 stick pattern running, I'll hold on the rest of the ram for now If I can get just that stable
Plus it's not like 16 gigs isn't enough LOL

Any other ideas for Linux distros to try? I've only got CentOS on disk now

I'm hoping I can get a 4p 8 stick pattern running, I'll hold on the rest of the ram for now If I can get just that stable
Plus it's not like 16 gigs isn't enough LOL
16GB is more than sufficient. You should be flying with that amount. I'm managing fine with just 4GB...

Any other ideas for Linux distros to try? I've only got CentOS on disk now
Any one of the Ubuntu flavors would be a good place to try, especially if you're new to Linux. Maybe standard Ubuntu or the slightly lighter Xubuntu?

I've used Linux before, exclusivly com. Prompt, but that was a few years back.
Shouldn't be too hard to get back into it, but we never installed anything so I'll have to get used to that again

I've used Linux before, exclusivly com. Prompt, but that was a few years back.
Shouldn't be too hard to get back into it, but we never installed anything so I'll have to get used to that again
Oh, well then you'll be better off than I am even with over a year of light use. The new Linux distros with GUI are pretty straightforward. Something like working in Windows but they have their own way of doing things. I think you should have very little difficulty getting used to it. Give the newest Ubuntu a tryout. I'm sure there are tons of other distros many people could recommend besides the tried and true here. I'm partial to any Ubuntu flavor over other lineages, and would choose one of them for a first try. :)

404, any news on arima board? I looked over at xtremsystems, they are doing something, but far from plug&play ready. Did you manage to power up the board? And is there any bios update for new opterons if you happen to know?

no, I'm following that thread as well, they are close to finding the complete pin layout, which will require rewiring the atx. Since the board was released many months ago, most recent opterons are probably incompatible and don't expect bios updates or support from the manufacturer :p.

I was just about to post in this thread actually. I know your prolly sayin, WTF Vaulter, why aint this folding yet?

Well, Ive been busy building a room just for folding stuff!! (ok, so I'll have my reloading bench in the corner, but o well)

I'll post pics soon but I put a 11x12 room in the basement and just finished putting down the epoxy flooring. Ive got a nice solid core door and its held by 3"screws into a double studded frame so it should be secure. Ive got one 15 Amp line for the test bench (just bought the lumber tonight) and a 20 Amp line just for the rack (finally got that out here). My i7 gear came in today, just waiting on a mobo and a few rack mount cases and I'll be set!!

Pics coming as soon as I get her to get them off the camera. Hopefully tomorrow. Once I get this room finished (I can move in in 48-72 hours) I'll have an area just for folding, so all my work will be easy to keep organized. Went out and got a few plastic shelving units also.

With 1 i7/8800GT combo (30k) and my main rig (32k right now) going, I'm going to sell the rest of my GPU's (4 GX2s and plenty of mobos and what not) and buy 1-2 more dedicated i7/8800GT combos

Hope to snag the number 2 spot by early spring!

With 1 i7/8800GT combo (30k) and my main rig (32k right now) going, I'm going to sell the rest of my GPU's (4 GX2s and plenty of mobos and what not) and buy 1-2 more dedicated i7/8800GT combos

Hope to snag the number 2 spot by early spring!

I would be interested in the gx2's. Though you would be aiding your enemy as i have my own little version of skynet coming online very shortly...

ya, and I'm getting tired of babysitting some of the GPU clients
Plus, 2-3 i7s will pull less than 2 CPUs 3 260s and 4GX2s
That and it gives me more upgrade paths in the future, CPU and gpu

It's all about sustainability

ya, and I'm getting tired of babysitting some of the GPU clients
Plus, 2-3 i7s will pull less than 2 CPUs 3 260s and 4GX2s
That and it gives me more upgrade paths in the future, CPU and gpu

It's all about sustainability

A 80 watt Xeon will pull even less ;)

I know, but I could get almost 2 i7 boxes free from selling my farm, I'd be hard pressed to get another dually set up for that price, and if I did, it would still only net about the same (60k+ over 2 boxes)

Once 1567 or whatever the hell intels new chip is comes out ill consider swooping on an OCable dual xeon rig, if one can be had

OK, folding room is good enough to move in, I've got the floor down and its dried 48 hours, Ive got my test bench in the room (its not final yet but I need somewhere to work for now), Ive got some of my computer stuff in there on 1 small shelving unit, and Ive got the rack in there

Tomorrow I'm gonna put in another small shelving unit or two and I'm trying craigslist now to see if I cant get a cheapo LCD to put on the bench

Once I get things a little more situated I'll post some pics of the entire project up to now and then I'm gonna sell off a lot of computer stuff. Once thats done, I'll get back to working on Skynet and filling that rack up :)

Back