5xxx cards who's NOT having problem.

bigredhog

n00b
With all the reports of these cards locking with strips, gray screens Im just curious as to how many are working properly. Are you OC'ed and what brand/drivers?

Havent had it yet running XFX 5870 9.12 w/hotfix not OC'ed

4870 in sig on 9.12 here, no crashes. I say this because this problem is not limited to the 58xx series of card.

HIS 5770 Crossfire @ 900/1385.

Stable as could be running 9.12. No display or corruption problems. :cool:

I have a Powercolor 5870, running 9.12's clocked at 1000/1350 on water.....no problems at all....

xfx 5770, flawless operation. No OC, though it was stable when I was testing overdrive cranked up as high as it would go. used with 5770 release beta drivers, 9.11 (broke AF), and 9.12 now which are working great.

One crash but probably due to my cpu oc. Using 9.12 hotfix with the standard Sapphire 5870. Haven't oc'd the card, guess I'll have to wait till Thursday to put on the waterblock.

My biggest issue is it takes about 30 seconds for my display to come on and the computer to post. My 4890 and all my previous other cards on this pc it came up within 5 seconds. Don't know if this is normal or what.

5870's no problems - 9.12 HF Win 7 retail 32 bit. Running single and xfire occasionally. Both configs solid except for minor issue where occasionally monitor ID's as monitors 2 when switching. Easily fixed but annoying...

Last edited:
5770 stable at stock for ~2 weeks before I left for vacation. No crashes or issues though under generally heavy use. Drivers were the 9.12 HF as far as I remember.

1. What OS?
2. What connection are you using? (i.e. Displayport, DVI, HDMI)
3. When did you buy your card (what date) and from where?

Sapphire 5850 here, 9.12s, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - bought the card the first day it was available. No problems other than glitches in the initial driver (which was expected).

3 Sapphire 5870's - 2 in crossfire and one standalone. No problems using the Cat 9.12's here. Where overclocked to 900/1300 , but stock atm. No locks or other wierd issues, so have been really impressed by them so far. All using DVI and no eyefinity setup yet.These where bought on launch day.

Sapphire 5850
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Bought at Amazon about a week after launch

No issues.

Asus 5870 bought two days after launch, and not a single problem with any driver. Well, other than the low performance in Shift, but that's on EA. Rest of specs in sig.

Sapphire 5850 here, 9.12s, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - bought the card the first day it was available. No problems other than glitches in the initial driver (which was expected).

Same setup here and no issues. Not overclocking...but when I was I encountered grey screen crashes. A motherboard update fixed my large mouse cursor issue (ga-p55-ud4p w/ f4t bios).

No problems here. A lot of you running into problems I assume are running XFX. Have you guys tried switching to another bios?

HIS 5870 no issues in Vista 64 or Win 7 64.
Crysis, heavily modded Oblivion, FO3, TF2, L4D1, L4D2, Burnout Paradise, Flatout 2, FarCry 1. FarCry 2, F.E.A.R, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, Twin Sector and Dragon Age is a partial list of the games I have played on the 5870 without issue.

To be honest I expected at least some trouble from a new product with immature drivers, but I have not had any.

Edit: No OC on my card. It's plenty fast enough so far for the games and the 1600x1200 and 1920x1080 monitors I play on.

Last edited:
flawless here, been running at 1ghz core and 1250 memory over a month while gaming, ofcourse most of the time I am browsing the net and it stays at 157core, anyways don't have any problems what soever.

Friend who does not post here has 2x 5770's. Fan speed has to be set to at least 60% or he gets the BSOD.

both XFX and sapphire gave me no problem on 5870..

ASUS 5970 should arrive tomorrow.

Friend who does not post here has 2x 5770's. Fan speed has to be set to at least 60% or he gets the BSOD.

The irony of this is that I was just about to post that on my 5870 (just as with the 4870x2 I just pulled from the same machine) manually controlling my fan speed actually causes my BSODs.

While I'm glad to have finally figured out this issue (after owning the 4870x2 for six months, I'd say it's about time I completely figured it out...), I'm a bit upset that it took buying the 5870 for it to finally become obvious, but only by complete coincidence.

Needless to say, with the 5870 the problem grew much worse. What made it harder to figure out was the fact that initially the 5870 was rock-solid stable upon initial installation, just as the 4870x2 had been. While the 4870x2 was rock-solid stable for the first month of installation, the 5870 was only rock-solid for the first boot. It appeared to grow worse with every boot after that.

Thankfully it all became crystal clear on one of those reboots. Now it's back to 100% rock-solid stable.

All of this after a system that might be rock-solid for 21 days without a reboot, or might only last six hours (the norm), or might only last 10 minutes at the desktop...

Or might not even make it to the desktop without a BSOD... (this wasn't rare at all...)

Good point to this? It's not a hardware issue. So, I don't feel it's unethical of myself to Ebay this junk.

Bad point? It is all an ATI issue. Although in the last five months I never once Googled a suggestion as to what the true issue was (can I really be the only one experiencing this???), ATI should already have this fixed. I shouldn't have ever been aware that the issue ever existed.

I can only blame my own stupidity for some of it, though. I saw the issue creep-up months ago, but only at the time saw the results of it as comical, nothing more. (when the issue was comical, it never resulted in stability issues, only... comical issues.... so I never fully cared...)

in the end, I imagine I can only fully blame myself. But I am now re-considering my future choice to buy any more ATI products...

ATI needs to acknowledge and fix the issue... It's at least existed since the 4870x2 (never did it with my 4870, but I never tried...), and is even worse apparently with the 58xx series...

Frankly it's a bit bizarre that the issue even exists, which explains why it took me so long to come to a complete understanding of it...

edit: the other irony of this is that my system would always be rock-solid stable if I was GAMING with it... Making it harder to track-down and understand. But, since the 58xx series acts differently that the 48xx series at the desktop in 2D, the issue became worse. But both were always rock-solid for gaming, assuming you could get into a game...

How bizarre...

ati or nvidia there will always be some kind of issue, some issues are system specific, I would honestly agree that nvidia and ati can't cure every issue out there, as of a month I have not had a single issue with my hd 5850 and I hope that everyone else gets their issues resolved but I do have to admit there could be a lot of factors involved in some of the issues.

I might be hated for this but some of these issues are way too fuckin weird no offense, it almost sounds like it is in someone's head, lol. I have to admit that some of this shit sounds unbelievable, I mean bsod when you controll the fan speed, it has never happened to me in my ati or nvidia time, than again I apologize for my comments but sometimes I just think that people are way too picky about their hardware.

Sapphire HD 5870, no problems here at stock or overclocked to CCC overdrive limits 900/1300.

I would suggest those having problems on the 2D desktop are probably overclocking(which in some cases disabled the throttling that normally happens when not in 3D!), or they just didn't clean out the system well enough as far as drivers.

Sapphire 5970, Win 7 x64 with the latest 9.12 drivers, actually the "hotfix" but only by choice, not because of a specific problem.

Overvolted the core and clocked to 850Mhz/1200Mhz (5870 clock speeds) and no problems here, smooth sailing since I bought it to be honest, the BIOS needed modding because Sapphire let a batch go using an early BIOS revision and released an update to add back user fan control, that was a piece of cake to do.

Overvolting and overclocking done with MSIs afterburner since it allows custom Vcore rather than the set values on most other overvolt software.

Getting very impressive performance, Crysis 2560x1600 16xAA 0xAA Max settings is no problem, 40fps most of the time in game, every other game I've tried it just aces.

Diamond 5870 here pretty much got it @ launch. Flashed to the asus bios. I haven't had any issues that weren't user error since I've had the card both before and after the flash.

HIS ATI 5970 using DVI Port
Cat 9.12 hotfix drivers
Windows Vista SP2 64-bit

No issues so far.

XFX 5870s Crossfire, W7 Pro 64, MSI Afterburner, clocks 915/1285, voltage to 1.2 :D
Purchased from newegg, pretty much release day products, the second was a couple weeks after release, just before they dried up.

Only issue I've had is I can't use the 9.12 drivers (either set) with Afterburner......as soon as it enables I crash to a blue screen.

Otherwise as solid as I could hope for.

Using EyeFinity with the new 9.12 Hotfix, Crossfire + Eyefinity......very nice.
I use two DVI-D and the DisplayPort.

Last edited:
5970 OCed, watercooled. No problems. I've played over 12 hours of Resident Evil 5, Torchlight and Dragon Age in the last 2 days, and didn't had a single problem, BSOD, freeze or lock-ups.

The only ''problem'' I had was installing 9.12 Hotfix over 9.11 directly. It wasn't working. So I had to install 9.12 over 9.11, then 9.12 Hotfix. Now everything is smooth. :)

No issues with single monitor / gaming with dual 5970s, but I see monitor flashing in 2D when I enable a second monitor (not eyefinity.)

If I run a 3D app in a window the flashing goes away.

The only problem I had was TF2 crashing on map changes. Sometimes on the first map change, guaranteed on the 3rd!

The problem is I can't say for sure it was the 5870, though it appeared the first time right after I installed it. It has since gone away. (Both ATI and Valve have updates since.)

Anything else was just me moving from green to red and having to get used to the slight differences they offer. (Like ATI's fan spin up deal when turning on my PC. Nvidia doesn't do that so I assumed something was wrong til it was pointed out why ATI does it on their forums.)

Back