5xxx cards who's NOT having problem.

HIS 5970 stock clocks, zero problems. My system is more stable than when I had GTX 275's in SLI.

Win7 64 Ultimate. 2560x1600 res.

using xfx and no issues @ 900 core 1250 memory since i got the card they day they came out

used 9.10 9.11 (borderlands texture issues) and 9.12 with no probs

An XFX 5850 @ 850/1200 - No problems at all, had it since a week after launch.

A Diamond 5850 @ 900/1200 (GF's computer) - No problems at all, been running for 3 weeks.

Honestly, games like Oblivion and Crysis are far more stable than they were with my 8800GT SLI setup. No more crashes or graphical glitches.

my only problems are with the 5970's. overheating, artifacting, grey/green screen, rattling fan, etc. i'm in the middle of an evga x58 4-way sli build specifically so i can separate the two cards farther apart. 5870's, 5770's, and single 5850 running like champs.

HD 5850, 9.12 drivers. Works perfectly. No problems as far as I can tell.

XFX 5850
OC'd at 850/1100 1.2V (card cant do any more, or my PSU can't do anymore, not sure)

Cats 9.11
Running well in Crysis:WH, Batman: AA, Dirt 2, etc

XFX 5870
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
900/1300

Had some issues initially (grey screen crashes) and thought it was due to OC problem, but after a driver re-install everything has worked fine. I've gone though 9.11 and now 9.12's with no problems.

Playing some Dirt 2 and a lot of GTA IV...

No problems:

Windows 7 x64
Slightly OCed (via CCC)

Asus 5870
One of my DVI ports will display the bios splash screen but won't display the screen when Windows is doing it's swirly intro thing and then comes back on when the log in screen is up. The other DVI port will display the whole boot process. *shrug* Maybe an eyefinity thing?

Other than that, no problems.

Sapphire 5870, had since launch.
Running at 900/1300 since the beginning.
When I was satisfied that my card worked without a hitch I yanked off the stock cooler and attached my water block. Smooth as silk...

Sapphire 5850 since launch with no issues except 1 with eyefinity on Windows 7 64bit using 9.11 driver. I put on the 9.12 driver last night and now when I have eyefinity enabled the computer hangs when shutting down. Gonna try uninstalling and running driver cleaner to see if it fixes that issue.

Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 9.12 Drivers Everything is at stock. No problems here except that I need more kickass games to play.

5870's x2 crossfire, powercolor watercooled edition...no issues whatsoever...verry happy.

Two MSI 5870's purchased at launch, in CrossfireX. No problems with cards or issues with the most demanding games.

I am having problems with TF2 since the last update and the 9.12 drivers, must be something specific to my setup.

MSI 5850, flashed with MSI unlocked BIOS, 1000/1250. Vista 64. Cat 9.12. No problems, except for CCC sucking badly compared to nVCPL.

2x HIS Radeon HD 5870's here, both running smoothly. In fact, since I'm running them on the EVGA P55 SLI, they're literally stacked on top of each other with little room between them. Manually running the one with restricted air flow at higher fan speed to compensate.

The only issues I've had are directly attributable to driver immaturity, no show stoppers.

I did have a Diamond Radeon HD 5870 go belly up on me in less then a week of ownership though.

2 Sapphire 5870 and one XFX 5870 in tri x-fire and no problems. Running 9.12s right now. Hotfix gave me issues with Everest.

asus 5870 no issue other then a couple of lock up when I pushed it a little high....memory is very touchy past1300...
If your not ocing it and having problems maybe a fresh install of your oS...IDK that usually solves issues

Add me to the list of satisfied no problem users. Have experience with HD5850 and HD5770. Both are great video cards.

No problems so far with my 5850, stock clocks. Dirt 2 hotfix 9.11s still, work is killing me. Once the break starts I'll load up the 9.12s, but I don't foresee any problems.

Thanks for all the replies! I think this helps us get some idea of just how widespread the problems people are experiencing is. Ive read the statement posted elsewhere "thousands were going through probs with these cards, I dont think its that bad. I have another one coming to go CF and was getting nervous, not so much anymore. My 5870 has yet to show problems so hopefully those with problem cards will get it sorted out. Keep em coming!

My 5970 on it's own is rock solid. I've had a couple issues with the trifire setup although nothing terrible, but i'll accept that for now being that it's probably a less common/tested setup.

XFX 5870 from tiger direct order 12/18
cat 9.12 -not the hotfix
Stock BIOS
Win7 x64
only have CCC installed, no afterburner
never OC'd(yet).
unchecked HDMI audio on install.
running fan at 20% or 50% with hotkeys

Ran borderlands for 30min, then TF2 for 20min. No crashes so far.
GPU temp hovered around 60 with 50% fan with folding@home running.

Had to leave for work. It's sitting at home folding for now.

So far so good.

I did notice Unwinder mentioned on guru3d that AMD screwed something up for afterburner with 9.12s, but he wasn't going to look at it 'til after New Years.

Last edited:
I think ATI is being honest when they say it's a windows 7 problem(in regards to crashes). I'm dual booting Win7/xp and have never had a crash in XP, but 7 gets the grey screen/stripes.

No issues, no overclocks.

2nd that... I cringe at what an overclock would do to my HX750 with the OC'ed i7 and a pair of 5850. I'm only going to overclock the GPUs when they get bogged down, which isn't really happening yet.

asus 5850 here. had issues in games at first, but it ended up being my ram. swapped ram and solid every since.

5850 asus / stock

i get very random lock ups - maybe 3 in the few months that ive had the card

so no ongoing or continuous problems - a few blips

Win 7 x64 Ultimate
Asus 5870 with ATI Bios update
No OC
Running Eyefinity on 3 x 22" LCD 1920 x 1080 thus 5760 x 1080.
No Problems.
Phenom II 955 @ 3.7ghz
9.12 drivers

Specs:
Gigabyte P55-UD3R - F4 BIOS
i5 750 OC'd to 3.42Ghz
Coolermaster dual fan heatsink - N520
cores never get above 41C
Win 7 64bit
XFX HD 5770
Kingston 8GB (Hyper X) @ 1800Mhz (KHX1800C8D3k2/4G)
Dual Monitors:
1.) 1900 x 1200
2.) 1200 x 1600 (portrait)

After about 1 - 2 hours of use, the mouse pointer gets corrupted as I move it from the 2nd screen to the 1st. Cursor always looks fine on the 2nd screen even if corrupted (bunch of dots) on screen 1. If I run windows magnifier and minimize it, it fixes the cursor but has to stay running. Everything seemed fine when I first put the system together. Games run fine, but annoying cursor ruins everything. Switched connection from VGA( DVI with convertor) to the HDMI on 2nd screen, same problem. Screen 1 is on DVI 1. I have gone entire days without it happening.

the 9.12 hotfix drivers are supposed to fix that mouse pointer issue. It's in the notes.

It didn't solve the problem. My cursor never gets big, I never had that problem. It's just cursor corruption and only when transitioning from the 2nd monitor to the 1st and not all the time.

Just got a new rig:
i7 920 @ 3.8
sapphire 5870 stock
win7 pro 64 bit oem
9.12 drivers (haven't applied the hotfix yet)
no issues yet. Though I'm still waiting to try my first couple of games - crysis & dragon age. I'll report back if I run into any issues.

Back