Hercules Prophet 9800 Pro 128MB OEM ($189.00)

nancyboy

Weaksauce
Herc.jpg

............................................[ Hyper Micro Website ]............................................

Great looking card. Pre-installed ramsinks are sweet. :D The core heatsink looks a little small. How well does it cool the core?

I have one of these, and its a great card. Cools plenty fine, I OC mine faster than 9800XT clock speeds without any issues. Even inside a shuttle without much airflow I run 425 MHz VPU 365 MHz MEM and have absolutely no artifacts or graphics anomolies. This $189 price will make selling mine for $200 difficult, I guess I gotta drop the price. Man its so hard to get an x800 Pro :p

I have one of these in my case right now. I took the core cooler off and installed a Artic Silencer. Right now running 420core 372mem with no artifacts. However I liked the core cooler's copper body and blue LED's so much I modded it to use as my Northbridge cooler! Way better than the stock "heatsink" fan on my NF7-S.

nbhs.jpg

man, i should probably jump on this. anyone think a better video card, like a 9800XT, would work well with my thorton 2400+ with pc2100 ram? Or should I just go for the pro?

should i definitely hop on this deal? i have 211 bucks to spare D:, i hope my allied 300w can handle this lMAO

i really should buy this but i need more dollars :(.......the horrors of being a poor 16 year old

does this card come with that power cord thing you need to plug it in with? it says bare card..thats all id need cause i can get the drivers off the net

tylerhskate said:
does this card come with that power cord thing you need to plug it in with? it says bare card..thats all id need cause i can get the drivers off the net
That power cord thing is only a splitter and not really needed. Just hook up an available 4 pin molex connector and you're set.

Nice deal on a good card btw. I remember these being on sale last year and those who bought were very satisfied with them.

Yeah, me and Kortiz have been looking at the two cards.

The 9600XT has faster clock speeds on both memory and core. Not to mention the card is cheaper. :confused:

SPARTAN VI said:
Yeah, me and Kortiz have been looking at the two cards.

The 9600XT has faster clock speeds on both memory and core. Not to mention the card is cheaper. :confused:

:rolleyes:

I hope this is some sort of sick and twisted joke. Just look as some benchmarks and you will see that it's not just about the core clock speed and memory speed.

Unfortunately, I'm not joking. Someone enlighten me.

ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP

Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600XT/500MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/600MHz
BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out)+DVI connector
Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

*Source: Newegg.com

HERCULES PROPHET 9800 PRO 128MB 8X

Chipset/Core Speed : RADEON™ 9800 PRO/380MHz
Memory/Effective Speed : 128MB DDR/340MHz
Bus/Interface Type: AGP 2X / 4X / 8X
Ports: Dual display on VGA, DVI or TV-Out
Data Width : 256 bit
RAMDAC : Dual integrated 400MHz RAMDACs
Max. Screen Resolution : 2048x1536 @ 85Hz

*Source: Hypermicro.com

I'm guessing it has something to do with the 256-bit interface on the 9800Pro vs. the 128-bit interface on the 9600XT. Correct? :confused:

Your right it is about the ram interface. There is a saphire 9800 pro with 128 bit ram and it is about as good as a 9600 xt the 9800 has a better gpu on it though, but it is mostly the ram interface.

I'm trying to decide whether to jump on this...or get a powercolor 9800se for $148 shipped and softmod it to a 9800 pro.

So who would like to give me $190? This would be a hell of an upgrade over my MX 440. Alas, no money. Oh well, they probably be cheaper by the time I can afford it.

Wich0 said:
I'm trying to decide whether to jump on this...or get a powercolor 9800se for $148 shipped and softmod it to a 9800 pro.
better not take any chances on that card you linked. Nowhere do i see "256 bit" and the memory chips are not arranged in an "L" shaped pattern. I'm fairly sure its the 126bit model which CANNOT be modded into a Pro. An extra $40 will buy you a high quality Hercules 9800pro, of which many had great luck oc'ing.

Edit: You edited this linked 9800se just as i was quoting you. I wouldn't take any chances on it.

SJetski71 said:
better not take any chances on that card you linked. Nowhere do i see "256 bit" and the memory chips are not arranged in an "L" shaped pattern. I'm fairly sure its the 126bit model which CANNOT be modded into a Pro. An extra $40 will buy you a high quality Hercules 9800pro, of which many had great luck oc'ing.

Edit: You edited this linked 9800se just as i was quoting you. I wouldn't take any chances on it.

Oops sorry I didn't realized that! I guess then I should go with the 9800 pro.

homIcIde said:
i really should buy this but i need more dollars :(.......the horrors of being a poor 16 year old
LOL think you got it bad?
Try being a 13 year who CANT get a job, and with cheap ass parents. :(

ok ok ok I'll buy 2. Time for some summer gaming!!! Also time to be poor till that lady calls me about my summer job :mad:

:D

anyone know of any 9800se's that have 256bit and use r360 core?

thanks

so this hercules... is it possible for it to be r360 or only r350?

Whoa I just paid 209 from Newegg for a Sapphire 9800P with a generic heatsink. This Hercules is hot !

i just ordered one, shipping is a couple bucks but still cheaper than 9800pros other places. Deal is still on if anyone's interested.

I remember paying about $450 for the retail version of this card from newegg about a year ago. :(

Great card though, never had any problems.

bought 2 last weekend and still waiting for them...guess I have to wait till monday...But I start work monday!!!! :(
But I guess taking apart robots will be fun too :cool:

neisius said:
bought 2 last weekend and still waiting for them...guess I have to wait till monday...But I start work monday!!!! :(
But I guess taking apart robots will be fun too :cool:
Nice, about the cards and that job. What line of work are you in (?) and when can i send you my resume ;)

SJetski71 said:
Nice, about the cards and that job. What line of work are you in (?) and when can i send you my resume ;)
I'm just a student but my dad works for Raython(aka Hughes aircraft) and they need people to tear down a Navy owned automated assimbly line. Should be lots of fun :D and great for my resume. They better pay me good though, I have [H]ardwear to pay for!

damn this is so unfair, my comp is sitting in my room right now and im gonna have to rma my board so i cant spend my money till i know i wont have to buy any extra things - this is so tempting tho :eek:

Damn it, I hate being a poor college kid who needs money for tuition.... It's so tempting though.

Don't you hate it when you have a card that's nearly dead, but not quite dead? My GF4 Ti4800 is getting old, but it's still cutting games okay.... I feel guilty wanting to upgrade it... but these kinda deals are just way to tempting...

Back