Hercules Prophet 9800 Pro 128MB OEM ($189.00)

So before this expires, what are the overclocking options for this card?

I currently have a softmodded sapphire radeon 9500. I plan on playing the newly released games (d3 hl2 etc [i know we don't know the requirements yet]) So would this upgrade be a good idea?

Milenko said:
So before this expires, what are the overclocking options for this card?
It sounds like most people have been able to OC to XT speeds or higher with stock cooling. And I think there might be a XT 128mb bios that you could flash it with.

Now if only my cards would get here! If it's not here in an hour I'm going to give them a call.

neisius said:
It sounds like most people have been able to OC to XT speeds or higher with stock cooling. And I think there might be a XT 128mb bios that you could flash it with.

Now if only my cards would get here! If it's not here in an hour I'm going to give them a call.

Thanks for your reply, just what I was looking for.

Any sites with the BIOS'es?

For those of you with 9500Pros or similar (like myself) I can't see this as being a great upgrade.

If you figure the 6800 and x800 models are pushing numbers almost double the performance of 9800's then it's hard to justify the cost.

Think of it this way, ~$200 for a bump in performance say 20%, (pulled out of the air) or ~$400 for about 100% increase.

So you're paying $10per 1% with the 9800 or $4per 1% for the x800.

Again that 20% is rough it might be higher, but either way, it doesn't match what you'd get by saving the $200 for a next-gen card.

I have a 9500 non-pro, but it's softmodded. I'm in the 9700 range.

I guess if I don't see a huge performance increase, I'll toss my 9500 into my computer with an mx440 and take the 9800 for myself.

the 9600xt and a hercules 9800pro are like comparing a celeron with one of those extreme edition p4 chips.

SJetski71 said:
better not take any chances on that card you linked. Nowhere do i see "256 bit" and the memory chips are not arranged in an "L" shaped pattern. I'm fairly sure its the 126bit model which CANNOT be modded into a Pro. An extra $40 will buy you a high quality Hercules 9800pro, of which many had great luck oc'ing.

Edit: You edited this linked 9800se just as i was quoting you. I wouldn't take any chances on it.

it says so in the description
"the ultra-powerful 3D Prophet 9800 Pro graphics board features a 256-bit DDR memory interface and 8-pixel pipeline engine for the ultimate in hardcore fragging"

Milenko said:
Lucky bastard, let us know the results.
GF2 Ultra at 275/490
-AF 2x
-Image setting = "quality"
-Vsync on
3DMark2001SE = 3763

next up 9800pro!

The Good
First off this hercules has like 2 lbs of copper straped to it! A very nice solid feel to the card.

the 9800pro got 6236 at the same settings as the ultra. Which means it almost never drops below 60fps at the settings I used to play at.

14501 marks w/o vsync and w/o af

5264 in 3Dmark2003. Now my dad will stop braging that his 9200 could get 1000 marks when my ultra could only get like 250 marks :rolleyes:
I did get a sound error at the last test so I gota figure out what's up with that :confused:

The bad
I started playing a few demos that I have been collecting. Farcry had alot of shadow errors. I'm guessing the retail version has a patch for this?
Also my comp crashed about 6 times today while playing. This shows eather A)Nvidia drivers are better ;) or B) I should stop playing demos and buy some retail games with patches that might fix my probs.

Fahim said:
it says so in the description
"the ultra-powerful 3D Prophet 9800 Pro graphics board features a 256-bit DDR memory interface and 8-pixel pipeline engine for the ultimate in hardcore fragging"
I wasn't doubting the Hercules card, thats the real deal. I was commenting on the specific Sapphire 9800se card that i linked ;)

for those of you that ordered this card how long did it take you to receive it?

Wich0 said:
for those of you that ordered this card how long did it take you to receive it?
ordered mine sunday, shiped wendsday :rolleyes: , got it the tuesday a week later

A warning to all that purchased this card - remove the sticker on the center of the fan if you have a card in the first PCI slot. Part of the sticker came loose on mine and put a big round scratch on the back of my firewire card. Now my computer hangs up when booting with the firewire card installed.

I hope someone takes responsibility for this because I don't feel I should have to buy a new firewire card when the poor workmanship on the video card physically damaged another card in my system.

kryptixMX said:
A warning to all that purchased this card - remove the sticker on the center of the fan if you have a card in the first PCI slot. Part of the sticker came loose on mine and put a big round scratch on the back of my firewire card. Now my computer hangs up when booting with the firewire card installed.

I hope someone takes responsibility for this because I don't feel I should have to buy a new firewire card when the poor workmanship on the video card physically damaged another card in my system.
yeh the sticker on mine came off too. But how did a little sticker scratch your card?

neisius said:
yeh the sticker on mine came off too. But how did a little sticker scratch your card?

Opposite sides of the sticker were bent downward. I didn't realize how little clearance there was between the fan and the firewire card when I installed it, otherwise I would have moved the firewire card to a different PCI slot. Couldnt have been more than 1/8 inch gap there. The scratch went over a solder spot, so I suspect thats what caused it to malfunction.

kryptixMX said:
Opposite sides of the sticker were bent downward. I didn't realize how little clearance there was between the fan and the firewire card when I installed it, otherwise I would have moved the firewire card to a different PCI slot. Couldnt have been more than 1/8 inch gap there. The scratch went over a solder spot, so I suspect thats what caused it to malfunction.
Shouldn't the PCI slot next to the AGP not be used because it might cause a irq conflict with the AGP slot? Maybe that was just with older motherboards.

neisius said:
Shouldn't the PCI slot next to the AGP not be used because it might cause a irq conflict with the AGP slot? Maybe that was just with older motherboards.

Maybe, but I don't use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot because I want all the airflow I can get to my $200 9800 pro instead of my $20 Firewire Card.

Guys got my card in. With the omega drivers, this is what I get: (3dmark2k1)

Stock 9800 Pro: 16073
412/365: 16133
Stock speeds, XT bios: 16528

I'm going to add my new values as they come in, I'm at work right now running 3dmark01 via remote desktop connection

got mine yesterday, but can't test it yet. my hard drive turned into a brick. It looks purty though. Lotsa copper all over the place, its really a lot nicer than it looks in the picture on hypermicro

Back