TWO 1.6Ghz Low Voltage Xeons $119

ThelvynD

Weaksauce
Get a matched pair of Low Voltage (1.3v) socket 604 Xeons with Hyperthreading and 512K L2 cache over at http://w2.pcsurplusonline.com/ViewProd.cfm?ID=4494 These things easily overclock to 2.8Ghz+.

Currently sold out and maybe that way for awhile. Mod please move to the Multiprocessing thread or Overclocking thread for all the rest of the folks still modding thier PC-DLs.

Nice, if only I had a dual-xeon workstation board laying around I'd pick this up in a heartbeat... very nice find.

Asus PC-DL was $180 at mwave.com if I remember right.

damn good deal on the proks though

I bit. Lessee if this comes through. Now i gotta find a board to put them in less that the $189 Tyan board that I see on Newegg.

Wonder what socket my Quad Xeon is...Think these procs would be worth getting 2 sets?

I bit too. It will at least be the start to a great server box. Need to fina a decent board now (PC-DL). What about HSF?

I also bit. Is there any chance these come with the intel stock cooling? I found no mention of HSFs from the site and the only socket 601 heat sinks I could find were crappy, loud TTs.

would these be worth buying for a new workstation machine..

bascially, could I run Doom3 with these.. :)

Youd have to get a mobo with the support. Now if you have a motherboard with it..

Hmm 1.6GHz..Does Doom3 take advantage of MPing though? If not, I say dont try it.

Well, I just ordered a pair. I wouldn't mind a dual xeon workmachine. Would run better then an Athlon XP 2500 Barton.

Ok, I'm wondering how these are HT if they only have 400mhz FSB? I thought HT was 800 FSB? I'm not use to Intel's reasoning as I've been an AMD user for years. Except I've always wanted a dual + Xeon rig.

I think I might pass on this.. Though it is a good deal, I don't think It is what I am looking for..

ShepsCrook said:
Well, I just ordered a pair. I wouldn't mind a dual xeon workmachine. Would run better then an Athlon XP 2500 Barton.

Ok, I'm wondering how these are HT if they only have 400mhz FSB? I thought HT was 800 FSB? I'm not use to Intel's reasoning as I've been an AMD user for years. Except I've always wanted a dual + Xeon rig.

Nah, the Xeons had it at 400MHz and 533MHz, and the P4s had it at 533MHz and 800MHz.

Would these help make a good file server for a LAN?

I was thinking either these or an AMD 64bit with a nice 200gig SATA hard drive...

GDut0n said:
Would these help make a good file server for a LAN?

For file serving a LAN I *very* much doubt you'd even use the power off of one of those CPUs. Your performance bottleneck is going to be your hard drive. You could put a SATA card in a PII and you would be fine. Unless we're talking about a corporate network. But if that was the case, again, you'd be needing RAID...

Anyway, I splurged on a pair of these babies. I love SMP and hopefully I'll get some serious OC goodness out of them!

How come for web servers, they advertise like P4's with a bunch of ram and stuff? Do you actually need a P4 to run a web site?

Maybe you'd need that much CPU power for a database server if you run a large corporate web site that gets a hundred or more hits a minute. But for basic website/file/database serving with under 50 hits a minute, I doubt CPU speed would make a difference in load times. My dual P3 - 450 (512 L2 cache) w/ 10K SCSI drives handles my low-volume (~50 to 500 hits for small files an hour) website with ease. Probably doesn't even register it on the usage graph...

I'd love to run dual Xeons, but I already spent my money to run dual AthlonXP-M overclocked. And if I got in on this, a Xeon setup would have even saved me some cash... :eek:

chomsky - What are you going to use for a heatsink? It appears that 8anet.com is splitting everything up. You have to buy the fan, HS, and mounting kit separately. Is that correct? Kinda sucks that they're aren't more options for air cooling these CPUs.

L0s7 4 Lyf3 - That's a 603 pin board. The discussion here are for 604s. Am I missing something? Are you suggesting a mod to fit the 603 board?

yea, it does appear they split everything up. I might look into some of the Wind Tunnel intel heatsinks, there are some on ebay right now

KSmut said:
chomsky - What are you going to use for a heatsink? It appears that 8anet.com is splitting everything up. You have to buy the fan, HS, and mounting kit separately. Is that correct? Kinda sucks that they're aren't more options for air cooling these CPUs.

L0s7 4 Lyf3 - That's a 603 pin board. The discussion here are for 604s. Am I missing something? Are you suggesting a mod to fit the 603 board?
Shouldn't be that hard to mod it to 603 if the 604th pin is just for 533MHz FSB.

L0s7 4 Lyf3 said:
Shouldn't be that hard to mod it to 603 if the 604th pin is just for 533MHz FSB.

No AGP slot on that board though. It also requires registered DIMMs. And only 400MHz bus support and Tyan is not an overclockers brand. IMO, after research, it's the PC-DL hands down.

Tyan may not be an 'overclocker' brand persay, but let me tell you, they are THE dual CPU people, nobody else is even close.

Stealth5325 said:
Tyan may not be an 'overclocker' brand persay, but let me tell you, they are THE dual CPU people, nobody else is even close.

Absolutely Tyan makes quality products. The first mobo I ever bought was a Tyan.
Buuuuuuuuuut, since these are *only* 1.6GHz, I don't see them as that attractive unless you overclock. But when you start talking about CPUs that can scale 75%, NOW you're talking my language, and that falls into the "big bang for buck" catagory.

I can't wait to see how this thing will do in a Linux compile bench vs my Athlon64.

Looks like PC Surplus Online is having micro$oft issues right now.

I think this error should say, "Don't use MS Access as a database!"
--

Error Occurred While Processing Request

Error Diagnostic Information

ODBC Error Code = S1001 (Memory allocation error)

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Not enough space on temporary disk.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (34:1) to (34:45).

Date/Time: 08/19/04 23:40:34
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803 Firefox/0.9.3
Remote Address: 66.243.149.3
HTTP Referer: http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54014&perpage=30&pagenumber=1
Query String: ID=4494

The best board so far to OC with these are the Asus PC-DL. Alot of great OCs have been coming from it. Here's a great link on modding the vCore for the Intel Xeon chips. HERE This way you can boost up your vCore to like 1.5v or more to get those stable overclocks at 2.8+.

Ok once I save up enough money for insurance payment I'm gonna get this set, so don't everyone go out and buy them up. Then in another month or two I'll get a PC-DL and build another server box. :p

Got my two CPUs today. They came well packaged, snapped into a CPU tray, wrapped in bubble wrap. The CPUs do appear to have a light scuff or stain almost on the heatspreader, but look otherwise to be in good shape. Usually pulls look a little worse than that, so it could just be from handling since they are OEM. I'll see if I can post some pics tonight.

wow.. I just figured it up how much it would cost to configure a machine scratch with these processors..

$119 CPUs
$195 Asus PC-DL
$152 1Gb PC2700
$60 2 Heatsinks and Fans

that's a bit much.. I'm not sure if I should do it or not for a personal machine..

2.8Ghz x 2 = FAST!!

And don't forget a good Eps12v PSU, looks like mine is going to be the fortron 550W = $100

$119 - CPUs
$188 - PC-DL (ZipZoomFly)
$30 - HSFs
$65 - EPS12V PSU from NewEgg
~$400 for a mean mean server

I've got two 3200 Corsair sticks laying around as well as a case, so that lowers it for me.
On top of that, You don't *need* a gig of memory. You can buy an adapter for the power supply too, I just decided to get one with more 12V amps to be on the safe side when I start throwing old drives on there. Have I mentioned the PC-DL has 3 IDE channels?

Would these CPUs work in the iWill DP400 board (link )..

The CPUs say socket 604 and the mobo says 603, but from what I've read 604 is just an extra pin for 533fsb, but these are 400fsb, meaning this extra pin would be unnecessary??

I have access to a lot of free RDRAM memory, so this could be attractive, if the CPUs will work.

Back