TWO 1.6Ghz Low Voltage Xeons $119

Allaxul said:
I think you're right about the wattage requirement but 15 * 8 is still only 120W. I'm planning on at 500W power supply minimum. I don't think it will be an issue.

Well, not exactly. Note the "12V" in the EPS12V specification. You've got one line from the 12V signal going into your motherboard. Then all your molex connectors to your drives and your fans are on the 12V signal too. Basically what I'm saying is that the entire 500W is *not* available to your hard drives, even if nothing else was plugged up to it.

Basically, Watts = (Volts x Amps). So you can have a 500W power supply with 15A on your 12V signal supplying a measly 180W. In this case, you would have power issues for sure.

So it's fine as long as you get a power supply with plenty of 12V amperage. But most of the power supplies that have the amount of amperage you need are going to be "pricier" anyway.

not to sound like a complete rookie, but do you have to mess with the cpu to overclock these or can it just be done thru the bios/jumpers?

Bios and/or jumpers. Almost no motherboards use jumpers for overclocking anymore.

PS. I just bought my two a few hours ago. Only were 13 left then :D

jcm44 said:
not to sound like a complete rookie, but do you have to mess with the cpu to overclock these or can it just be done thru the bios/jumpers?

To quote one of my earlier statements.
Okay since all you people are so hot on these Xeons here's some links that'll help you in modding your PC-DL motherboard with these chips to allow you for 1.) Higher FSB and 2.) Higher vCore voltages. First up Higher FSB real simple right? Now here's the Vcore voltage Mod another simple modification with no change to the CPU or the board.

Just remember Mod at your own risk! ;)

Xeons are multiplier unlocked downward from thier highest multiple. In this case the high would be 16x and I belive the lowest multi is 14x but I could be wrong. Best bet with these is to OC the FSB up and boost up the Vcore to give it some extra juice to do the FSB increase. I've seen FSB OCs from 533 to 800 with these chips.

I bit, they should be pretty fun to play around with. I bet I will be able to compile gentoo in record time. I will need some help OC'ing since I have never done it before, but there are first times for everything.

I jumped in as well. Now I have to save up a bit to get a PC-DL. Should make a really good game server for when my buddies all get together to play. I needed a reason to sell all the stuff I have lying around here, this gives me one. :D

What's the possibilty of these getting to 3.2GHZ? If they have a 16x multi thats a FSB of 200. What overclocks have you people been getting with these?

educated dumb question. Xp supports 2 cpus right? And a hyper threaded cpu shows up as 2 cpus in my setups. So with 2 hyper cpus would that be 4 cpus? Could xp still use these chips to the fullest or do we need to goto a server op like win2k or 2003?

I'm a little confused on how the pins should be u-wired and insulated. I want to go from 1.3-1.6 volts. I have seen posts that say bridge B2-B3, D2-D3 and insulate C3. But then when I go to CtechNet and look at Figure 14 it says "VID 1.300v to 1.600v Mod: U-wire B2-B3 | U-wire C2-C3 | U-wire D2-D3" Am I looking at the wrong thing. If I go with the other posts it should look like this,
xeon130_13-16.gif

MN Scout said:
I'm a little confused on how the pins should be u-wired and insulated. I want to go from 1.3-1.6 volts. I have seen posts that say bridge B2-B3, D2-D3 and insulate C3. But then when I go to CtechNet and look at Figure 14 it says "VID 1.300v to 1.600v Mod: U-wire B2-B3 | U-wire C2-C3 | U-wire D2-D3" Am I looking at the wrong thing. If I go with the other posts it should look like this,
xeon130_13-16.gif
You might be looking for the 90nm xeons. I saw a forum post where one guy just u-wired b2-b3, c2-c3 and d2-d3 and it gives him 1.6v. Here is the link
http://www.datamine.tk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73 Look for the post by cvidler

This is a whole PC-DL users forum :) It kicks azz
http://www.datamine.tk/

MN Scout said:
What's the possibilty of these getting to 3.2GHZ? If they have a 16x multi thats a FSB of 200. What overclocks have you people been getting with these?

I've seen OCs ranging from 2.6Ghz to 3.2Ghz with these chips with the vmods and the FSB mods done to them over at 2cpu.com

nightanole said:
educated dumb question. Xp supports 2 cpus right? And a hyper threaded cpu shows up as 2 cpus in my setups. So with 2 hyper cpus would that be 4 cpus? Could xp still use these chips to the fullest or do we need to goto a server op like win2k or 2003?

XP Pro supports two physical processors with two logical processors from Hyperthreading as XP Pro is Hyperthreading aware. XP home is not. If you are using Windows 2000 you'll need 2000 Server to fully utilize these as 2000 Pro only supports 2 processors.

Ok, being an AMD guy I've never really dealt w/ Intel chips, let alone OC'ing them.

From the posts I've seen over there doing the three u-wire mod should work as well as the moosehead mod.

Should have my PC-DL, heatsinks/fans and psu next week. Then I'll have to save for a couple weeks to afford some ram, lol.

jtsnewo4 said:
Ok, being an AMD guy I've never really dealt w/ Intel chips, let alone OC'ing them.

From the posts I've seen over there doing the three u-wire mod should work as well as the moosehead mod.

Should have my PC-DL, heatsinks/fans and psu next week. Then I'll have to save for a couple weeks to afford some ram, lol.

good to hear. I am waiting for my $150 deposit check to be sent back from abit for some rmas. I will then buy the mobo, I will have to wait for psu and ram :(

Correct me if I am wrong. I think you can use regular pc3200 ram no ecc and not registered. I am unclear about this. But if you get the 200fsb mod working it will support DDR400 dual channel mode :)

just got mine a few days ago, finally got around to installing them on a PC-DL, did the U wire socket trick to get 1.6Volts (1.578 actual in bios) set the multiplier to 12 then set the jumper to 200fsb, and they are hummin along at 2.4ghz right now.. i'll let them run like this for awhile then go for 2.8-3ghz later. love it so far!! :) BTW, im running an Antec True 430W with the proper power adapters, its having absolutely no issues running both cpus, a radeon 9800pro, 120gb wd pata, and two 250gb wd sata's.

Is anyone actually sure that there is a Xeon board that will support 200 MHz FSB?? The Chipset is rated for 100 or 133. 200 seems like a hell of a jump for the chipset and since this is all quad pumped you would be going from 533 to 800. That seems almost outside the realm of possiability for a chipset that was designed for server stability, not overclocking. Being low voltage CPU's im sure that the cpu's can handle the overclock but the board??? I mean does it even have an AGP/PCI lock?

Kroz said:
Is anyone actually sure that there is a Xeon board that will support 200 MHz FSB?? The Chipset is rated for 100 or 133. 200 seems like a hell of a jump for the chipset and since this is all quad pumped you would be going from 533 to 800. That seems almost outside the realm of possiability for a chipset that was designed for server stability, not overclocking. Being low voltage CPU's im sure that the cpu's can handle the overclock but the board??? I mean does it even have an AGP/PCI lock?

remember, the PC-DL is based off teh Intel 875P chipset. we all know they normally have no problems hitting 1ghz fsb and more. 800fsb is no problem for this chipset.

right now using cpu z it reports the fsb at 803.7 cpus running at 2411.2 MHz

Stealth5325 said:
Nexx, what coolers are where did you get them?
Edit: Ram?
im using the copper/aluminum hybred wind tunnel series heatsinks the retail boxed version xeons come with. fortunately the company I work for had a few left over from some cpus we used in a 1U rackmount that came with its own heatsink/fan assembly. You can get them on Ebay for around $35 for two sets. as for the ram, get this, I'm using two unmatched sticks of 512mb PC-2700 ram that work perfectly at 400mhz 2.5-3-3-7 timings ( havent really tried for tighter settings yet) Once stick is a Kingston brand with Winbond BH-6 chips and the other stick is a generic module with Samsung TCB3 chips. They work flawlessly together. :eek:

I'm looking into buying a 4u case to put this setup in. Would windtunnels fit in a 4u? I figure someone here would be a server whiz and know some things from experience.

yes Timmay!
they will fit height-wise in a 4U case, they may bump capaciters near the socket depending on the board though.

Could anyone chime in on what pins they insulated and bridged to get these specific xeons up to 1.6volts. I got one comment, but it was for a different type of xeon. We are all talking about the same chips here, and someone must have bought these and did the mod. All my stuff is comming and I would like to make sure I'm doing it right. I don't think I could hurt the chips bridging the wrong things because it has that voltage protection built-in.

About the heatsinks I bought the ones with the aluminium base with the copper fins in the middle. Costed me like $27 shipped off ebay.

MN Scout said:
Could anyone chime in on what pins they insulated and bridged to get these specific xeons up to 1.6volts. I got one comment, but it was for a different type of xeon. We are all talking about the same chips here, and someone must have bought these and did the mod. All my stuff is comming and I would like to make sure I'm doing it right. I don't think I could hurt the chips bridging the wrong things because it has that voltage protection built-in.

About the heatsinks I bought the ones with the aluminium base with the copper fins in the middle. Costed me like $27 shipped off ebay.

Here is an easy way.

http://www.datamine.tk/files/cvidler/2004-08-05_173053_VID-1525-1600-cheat.jpg

MN Scout said:
Could anyone chime in on what pins they insulated and bridged to get these specific xeons up to 1.6volts.

Pin insulation is only needed on these chips for reaching 200MHz FSB, not 1.6Vcore. In addition, you don't need to insulate pins to do that *if* you have a PC-DL. You can just change the jumpers.

To get the 1.6Vcore, you connect B2-B3, C2-C3, and D2-D3. ASCII diagram time:
1 2 3 4 5, etc
|---------------------|
A | . . . . . . . . . . |
B | . . . . . . . . . . |
C | . . . . . . . . . . |
etc | . . . . . . . . |
|---------------------|

If you're looking at the socket so that the row with less pins (IE, the notched ends) are closer toward you, then the row at the top is A, below that B, etc. and the numbers go
from left to right.

I did this last night, and if you don't have steady fine motor movements, it can be difficult getting those wires in with a pair of tweezers. But I did it! And it worked.

Right now I'm at 230 x 12 with the windtunnels but I'm not 100% sure this is stable. If it's not, I'm at least pretty close. I've got what seems to be some file corruption issues, but honestly, I just don't know if it's the fact that I'm using an IBM Deathstar 60GXP I had laying around or if it's the overclocking. I've got a spare WD1200JB I can test with, hopefully I'll find out tonight. My hope is to move everything over to a SCSI RAID-5 system anyway assuming I can resurrect my card...

Either way, these chips are an exceptional value. Any chip that OC's ~70% is a great deal in my book, *especially* considering that this is a dual CPU system, which are usually a good chunk more.

The DarkBlade said:
Pin insulation is only needed on these chips for reaching 200MHz FSB, not 1.6Vcore. In addition, you don't need to insulate pins to do that *if* you have a PC-DL. You can just change the jumpers.

To get the 1.6Vcore, you connect B2-B3, C2-C3, and D2-D3. ASCII diagram time:
1 2 3 4 5, etc
|---------------------|
A | . . . . . . . . . . |
B | . . . . . . . . . . |
C | . . . . . . . . . . |
etc | . . . . . . . . |
|---------------------|

If you're looking at the socket so that the row with less pins (IE, the notched ends) are closer toward you, then the row at the top is A, below that B, etc. and the numbers go
from left to right.

I did this last night, and if you don't have steady fine motor movements, it can be difficult getting those wires in with a pair of tweezers. But I did it! And it worked.

Right now I'm at 230 x 12 with the windtunnels but I'm not 100% sure this is stable. If it's not, I'm at least pretty close. I've got what seems to be some file corruption issues, but honestly, I just don't know if it's the fact that I'm using an IBM Deathstar 60GXP I had laying around or if it's the overclocking. I've got a spare WD1200JB I can test with, hopefully I'll find out tonight. My hope is to move everything over to a SCSI RAID-5 system anyway assuming I can resurrect my card...

Either way, these chips are an exceptional value. Any chip that OC's ~70% is a great deal in my book, *especially* considering that this is a dual CPU system, which are usually a good chunk more.

ahhh no pin insulation needed for 200fsb, but if you dont volt mod to 1.6 it wont post cause initially the pc-dl will run your cpu at the default multiplier at 16, if you have the jumper set for 200fsb... it will try it post for a split second at 16x200 at 3.2ghz, if your cpus cant handle that default and you havent done the 1.6 volt mod your screwed

Thank you for clearing that up. All the high and low stuff gets a little confusing. Yay, no insulating. :D I can handle the u-wire thing. :)

MN Scout said:
Thank you for clearing that up. All the high and low stuff gets a little confusing. Yay, no insulating. :D I can handle the u-wire thing. :)

np, the u wire trick is a freakin pain but not too difficult, it just takes some time, patience and steady hands. oh, make sure you have some tweezers, makes it 100% easier to do. remember use the graph #14 to make sure your wiring the right holes. you should have to do 3 wires per socket if your looking at the right diagram.

When the hell are ppl going to start to bench these overclocked CPU'S?!? it sounds like enought ppl got them. :p

Kroz said:
When the hell are ppl going to start to bench these overclocked CPU'S?!? it sounds like enought ppl got them. :p

Heh. You'll have benches from me once I get my heatsinks, psu, mobo, and RAM. :D

LOL! :p

What are you guys using for heatsinks/fans? I'm leaning towards the Intel heatsinks w/ the copper fins and a blower fan on each.

jtsnewo4 said:
What are you guys using for heatsinks/fans? I'm leaning towards the Intel heatsinks w/ the copper fins and a blower fan on each.
those are the windtunnels everyone talks about.. they seem to work very well.

I was planning on using these in the koolance watercooled case but apparently you need to jump the "standard atx psu" which of course I won't have. Any ideas? because I already have the case

Back