Removal of IHS

laserbeam

Limp Gawd
Is there a procedure published anywhere for removing the S939 IHS? And is the exposed core below flat? Is it worth lapping?

be very careful when reinstalling heatsink. core is easily crushed. crushed one myself :eek:

My HS is XP-120. Is that too heavy duty? Or do you mean don't press down too hard with the HS while fitting it?

you have to cut the rubber that's holding down the ihs. a very thin charp razor blade works well.
be careful not to cut too deep and cut the capacitors sitting near the core

and when you put the heatsink on.. well first, make sure your core is flat, mine wasn't.
but when you put on the heatsink, find a way to compensate for the lack of ihs. otherwise there won't be enough pressure for effective thermal transfer, however, don't create too much pressure because as purefun said, your core may break.

(cf)Eclipse said:
and when you put the heatsink on.. well first, make sure your core is flat, mine wasn't.
but when you put on the heatsink, find a way to compensate for the lack of ihs. otherwise there won't be enough pressure for effective thermal transfer, however, don't create too much pressure because as purefun said, your core may break.

How do I compsenate for the missing IHS? More AS5? Maybe some, I expect but not much. Or do I bend the cradle arms of the HS so that it sits lower?

no, more as5 would negate the purpose of removing the ihs: better temps
and besides, you won't be able to make the layer as thick as the ihs.. it's about 1-2mm thick

i just bent the mounting bar on my zalman.. if you can't figure out a way to make it tighter before you go ripping the lid off, don't do it.

(cf)Eclipse said:
no, more as5 would negate the purpose of removing the ihs: better temps
and besides, you won't be able to make the layer as thick as the ihs.. it's about 1-2mm thick

i just bent the mounting bar on my zalman.. if you can't figure out a way to make it tighter before you go ripping the lid off, don't do it.

Looking at my HS it can be done. However, doing that and getting even downward pressure onto the cpu will be an interesting challenge. Also, the S939 CAM looks like it would snag the HS faceplate (the core may be lower than the CAM).

This isn't something I want to rush into anyway. I'm still not sure if I have an underperforming memory controller on my PCU or not. Will find out next week when I get my memory replaced (OCZ 4000 VX - yummy;)

laserbeam said:
Looking at my HS it can be done. However, doing that and getting even downward pressure onto the cpu will be an interesting challenge. Also, the S939 CAM looks like it would snag the HS faceplate (the core may be lower than the CAM).

This isn't something I want to rush into anyway. I'm still not sure if I have an underperforming memory controller on my PCU or not. Will find out next week when I get my memory replaced (OCZ 4000 VX - yummy;)

Damn compensation for IHS on the XP90 will be a challenge, I didn't even think about that and was going to jump striat into this project.

I'm now wondering about your OCZ 4000 VX, have you read this? If not read it and read it well.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54168

and here's were to get it

http://www.atacom.com/program/ataco...EDD_OCZT_AG_C2+&Disp_item2.x=4&Disp_item2.y=7

The people there are great, I spoke to them via phone about an issue and they are really helpful

MaMMa said:
I'm now wondering about your OCZ 4000 VX, have you read this? If not read it and read it well.
helpful

Very Interesting. But not really relevant to me. I'm RMA'ing some Corsair DDR550 (memtest errors) and have agreed with the supplier to swap it for OCZ VX 'cos the height of the Corsair DIMMS make it very difficult to fit my XP-120 (due to overhang) to my mobo. OCZ DIMMS are more low profile and don't create the same issues.

Back