20 Inch LCD for Xbox 360

batbl18

n00b
I need some help and advice in determining the best LCD Monitor to get for my Xbox 360. Right now I have just a regular 20 Inch TV and I want the best picture I can get with my Xbox 360. Due to money and room constraints (college) I am in the market for a nice LCD monitor.

I've seen that LCD Monitors are much cheaper than LCD TV's and I already have a set of 5.1 gaming speakers. Again this monitor would mainly be used for my Xbox 360 so best quality picture for that aspect is most important. I have been looking at some Dell and Gateway 20 and 22 Inch Widescreens and even the Sceptre 22xp and a Benq.

Is Widescreen the best LCD monitor type to use for the 360? I had figured that the Xbox 360 VGA cable would give me the best quality graphics even over a monitor which would accept the Component cables?

I am looking to spend around $400 max on a monitor. I would like a 20 inch monitor or bigger depending on what gives the best graphics on games like Gears of War, Deadrising, Viva Pinata, and future games like Halo 3. All of these monitors get confusing so so help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :cool: :D

It seems to me that the 22 inch widescreen monitors from Sceptre, Dell, Gateway, and LG all appear to not be as good as some 20 inch monitors? Is that a fair statement? Or is that just for certain applications of the monitor? Because mainly all I want the monitor for is to play my Xbox 360 and its games in HD, along with some movies.

For some people, a 22" LCD is adequate for them. But, if your going to game and watch movies on the LCD than you may or may not like it. I was using a 22" LCD and was content at the time. But, later felt the image quality can look better on another type of LCD. Based on what you just mentioned, you should get a good 20" or 21" LCD. The 21" Gateway for example, would be better in image quality and suffer less backlight bleeding than the 22" Gateway. The Dell 2007WFP is another good 20". Both offer video inputs and they both rotate from Landscape to Portrait.

Right now I am extremely considering the Dell 2007WFP. It's only $410 CND from Dell's website, or $440 from Costco Canada.

Ok, so after doing some hardcore reading of posts and reviews i've compiled some monitors I would like to know what other people think.

19" NEC 90GX2
20" Dell 2007WFP
22" Benq FP222WH
22" Gateway FPD2275W
22" Samsung 226BW
22" LG L226WTX
Edited In:
22" Sceptre X22WG

Again I mostly want this for Xbox 360 compatibility with the Xbox VGA cable. Won't use it much else for anything else. So best picture of an LCD preferably 20" or so around $400. Thanks. Any opinions on those monitors above please share.:D

Right now I am extremely considering the Dell 2007WFP. It's only $410 CND from Dell's website, or $440 from Costco Canada.

If you win the panel lottery it's a great monitor for the 360. I'm using mine for the 360 instead of my 42" plasma and I don't really feel like I'm missing out..

is it possible to use the dell 2007wfp as both a computer and xbox360 display? how do you connect the xbox 360 audio outputs to the computer speakers?

is it possible to use the dell 2007wfp as both a computer and xbox360 display? how do you connect the xbox 360 audio outputs to the computer speakers?

I'm assuming it is, and I plan on connecting my 360 to an LCD monitor using the Xbox VGA cable. However the VGA cable for audio either has the Toslink/Optical plug on the part that plugs into the Xbox like the regular Xbox 360 cable that comes with it, or you can use the split Red/White plugs to connect. I plan on and will use the Optical output from the 360 for the best sound into my speakers. However if your speakers cannot accept that connection you'll need a simple Stereo RCA to mini jack

You can buy them for less than $3, such as here: http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=118&sku=40645

So for anyone that's reading this thread, does anyone have any insight on those 7 monitors I listed above? Because I just want the best monitor that will make my 360 games look the best. I could care less about web browsing on it, or photoshop, or video editing. Just console gaming. Thanks.

Ok, so after doing some hardcore reading of posts and reviews i've compiled some monitors I would like to know what other people think.

19" NEC 90GX2
20" Dell 2007WFP
22" Benq FP222WH
22" Gateway FPD2275W
22" Samsung 226BW
22" LG L226WTX
Edited In:
22" Sceptre X22WG

Again I mostly want this for Xbox 360 compatibility with the Xbox VGA cable. Won't use it much else for anything else. So best picture of an LCD preferably 20" or so around $400. Thanks. Any opinions on those monitors above please share.:D
Personally I would pick the Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS) or even the NEC 90GX2 over any of the TN panel 22 inchers. But that is just my opinion..

Personally I would pick the Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS) or even the NEC 90GX2 over any of the TN panel 22 inchers. But that is just my opinion..

Yeah I had read that all the 22"s are basically TN panels, therefore they are all similar with the backlight bleeding and such. So out of those choices the Dell 2007WFP would give the best quality picture for my Xbox 360?:)

How would one get a S-IPS 2007WFP... I thought dell switched to cheaper PVA?

Not totally...there is a new thread today where someone got an A04 revision that was S-IPS. The only way to get one is play the lottery..

Not totally...there is a new thread today where someone got an A04 revision that was S-IPS. The only way to get one is play the lottery..
So in other words if I was to order a 2007FPW online there would be no guarantee whether I got an S-IPS or a PVA? That sucks. What's the big difference between the two?

So in other words if I was to order a 2007FPW online there would be no guarantee whether I got an S-IPS or a PVA? That sucks. What's the big difference between the two?
You can go here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1039222 to read about the differences between the technologies but I don't think it's so much a matter of S-PVA being "bad" (there are S-PVA monitors that are highly regarded) but rather that Dell chose an inferior model to use with the 20007WFP.

You can go here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1039222 to read about the differences between the technologies but I don't think it's so much a matter of S-PVA being "bad" (there are S-PVA monitors that are highly regarded) but rather that Dell chose an inferior model to use with the 20007WFP.

So I guess it's safe to assume that it's all based on preference whether to get an S-VPA vs a S-IPS vs TN. It says that TN panels are meant for gaming. So now i'm confused as to which type of monitor and for around $400 that will give me the best quality picture.

So I guess it's safe to assume that it's all based on preference whether to get an S-VPA vs a S-IPS vs TN. It says that TN panels are meant for gaming. So now i'm confused as to which type of monitor and for around $400 that will give me the best quality picture.

When they say "best for gaming" they mean lower response time...which usually also means lower color accuracy and black levels. Personally I think response time is overhyped...the 2007FPW is rated at 16ms but actually has less ghosting than a 12ms Benq that I used to have. I also notice no difference compared to my 8ms Acer F-20.

Back