2407 release date

-=cypher=- said:
heres a 2407 coupon I received:

POST when used.

doesnt seem to work for me.... does it work only on the us site? i reside in canada.

The instant I see a deal on the E510/5150 + 2407fpw for under $1100, I'll jump on it. :)

What do you guys think the chances of that happening? Just this past week, they had a E510/2405fpw for ~$950.

bigdogn12 said:
What do you guys think the chances of that happening? Just this past week, they had a E510/2405fpw for ~$950.

So you are asking for someone to compute the probability of this event? I honestly don't understand questions like this.

I'm posting from my new 2407WFP =)

Confirmed A01 -- will have to talk to Chris M on Dell Forums and see if an exchange to A02 is warranted based on what was fixed if anything.

Will post a few pics later.

I got mine finally setup.
No text shadows. I did notice one possible bad pixel using Dead Pixel Buddy when selecting black. Not THAT noticable though. Doesn't really bother me. However, what's the best way to test for banding and the easiest way to upload these pics I got?

Looking at the stats, the 2407fpw seems to have a lower resolution than the 2405. If that is the case, what's the big deal about it? I'd take the higher res and no HDCP over lower res and HDCP anyday.

Sorry for the quality of these pictures. I'm unsure of how to switch my Canon Powershot from automatically saving to .JPG. Nonetheless, after resizing most of them I tried to preserve what quality there was with .PNG

http://www.tcp-net.com/stuff/2407WFP/box.png
http://www.tcp-net.com/stuff/2407WFP/unpacked.png
http://www.tcp-net.com/stuff/2407WFP/screen.png
http://www.tcp-net.com/stuff/2407WFP/bluegray.png
http://www.tcp-net.com/stuff/2407WFP/redgreen.png
http://www.tcp-net.com/stuff/2407WFP/worldofwarcraft.png

The display is huge, and I like it a lot. If you look really really close, you can see an extremely miniscule and faint banding line, roughly every "Block" of that gradient test, and even then only in 1/5th of the span (in the dark shade). However, switching the monitor to Multimedia/Gaming mode you might as well have thrown a brick at the monitor. The banding is horrid in Multimedia/Gaming mode.

This is my very first LCD however, so my knowledge of them is sub-par. The "Banding" that I see you really have to get up to within an inch or two of the screen to see. I remember running the gradient test at work on about 15 LCDs, about 3 different models, and seeing similar. I think it's just the nature of the LCD to have that minor imperfection. I wouldn't hold it against Dell.

I gave it a quick run through Dead Pixel Buddy and no dead pixels that I could see, I may give it a more thorough once-over later though.

If you guys have any requests for pictures/tests let me know. Also, if someone knows how to get a higher quality shot from my Canon PowerShot let me know.

I'm surprised the gaming mode is what has worse banding for you since I thought the banding on the xx07 panels was completely isolated to desktop mode. Either way, in those pics banding appears to be a non-factor. You're running it through DVI right?

Correct, DVI

Have not tried VGA nor do I really plan to ;)

Not sure where you heard xx07 was isolated to desktop mode. Dell simply decided to turn it off for desktop mode to allow people a banding-free mode but still offer that mode with the processing when it may be warranted (dramatic upscaling of games/movies)

Thanks! no banding here... looks great! well, besides that one dead pixel. I'm satisfied so far.
Now I just need help uploading the pics...

Added a screenshot of World of Warcraft to my picture listing post.

The text is purposely obscured. Also, I know LCD haters will jump on the bandwagon and yell "GHOSTING" at Vario the tauren in that picture. However it's just because of the slow shutter on this camera. I have yet to see even the slightest hint of ghosting on this display. Also, the picture quality is (like I said) horrid on this camera because its saving as JPG and not sure how to change otherwise. The picture is crisp as hell. I can EASILY say that the image quality of my LCD blows away the image quality of my 19" CRT. Night and day, never again will I get a CRT.

Oh, correction to the banding issue. In Desktop Mode, there was just a tiny hint of banding in the red, but not that noticable unless you look closely. Didn't notice any banding on the other colors.
However, when switching to Gaming Mode or Multimedia Mode, the banding was apparent.
So basically just leave it on Desktop Mode and you're fine.

my.php

Before:
my.php

After:
my.php

World Of Warcraft:
my.php

Dungeons & Dragons Online:
my.php

It's really hard to tell by these pics unless you actually have the monitor in front of you but I gotta tell ya, WoW looks awesome on this monitor. I love the colors in this game!

sarvic said:
World Of Warcraft:
my.php

Dungeons & Dragons Online:
my.php

It's really hard to tell by these pics unless you actually have the monitor in front of you but I gotta tell ya, WoW looks awesome on this monitor. I love the colors in this game!

Nice!, Can give us a pic of DVD playing?

not just DVD's but please playback some 1080p trailers from quicktime.com or some 1080p content you have =).

JediFonger said:
not just DVD's but please playback some 1080p trailers from quicktime.com or some 1080p content you have =).

Yeah, for real. That's what i really want to see!

So taking into consideration various hardforum members' accounts, opinions, and pictures, is it a go or no-go?

I think people are wanting the revision A02... whatever differences are, I am not sure.

UPS says mine will be here tomorrow, I'll take several shots if you guys are interested still, as im sure many will be hitting the net by then.

noobtech said:
I think people are wanting the revision A02... whatever differences are, I am not sure.

Probably with that processing chip disabled from the factory.

Looks like this is a great monitor. Thanks for the pics.
I'm looking forward to see some more feedback on this.

Sgt_Strider said:
So I'm just wondering if the banding issue exist on this monitor?

You bring the cluelessness from RFD to [H]. That's amazing. Here's what he had to say about banding.

sarvic said:
Oh, correction to the banding issue. In Desktop Mode, there was just a tiny hint of banding in the red, but not that noticable unless you look closely. Didn't notice any banding on the other colors.
However, when switching to Gaming Mode or Multimedia Mode, the banding was apparent.
So basically just leave it on Desktop Mode and you're fine.

or for the previleged, h00k up that Toshiba HD-DVD player to display via HDMI->DVI convertor. see how the pic looks =).

kommissar said:
Could one of you guys that has this thing hook up a component source and try 720/1080i?

noobtech said:

exactly!

my one hard drive (maxtor POS) decided to fritz out on me, which maybe was a sign to wait a little longer to pick this up (a02)...i did want to use my email coupon though.

hmmm

CAN ANYONE HOOK THIS UP TO HDTV SOURCE? XBox360?

I'll try to play some 1080p quicktime trailers tonight but personally i think it's gonna be choppy cause my computer's not that fast. only runnin an AMD 2200+ with 1GB RAM and BFG 6800 AGP card. Still working on building a new gamer on the side....

Was really hoping to pick one of these up with the 25% off coupon I bought, but with no confirmation as to whether I'd be getting an A02 I've decided to wait till the next sale happens and/or buy something else.

Oh well.

First person to PM me that is planning on buying one TODAY can have my coupon.

EDIT: Coupon went to kommissar.

Back