2407 release date

sarvic said:
I'll try to play some 1080p quicktime trailers tonight but personally i think it's gonna be choppy cause my computer's not that fast. only runnin an AMD 2200+ with 1GB RAM and BFG 6800 AGP card. Still working on building a new gamer on the side....

Actually I'm looking for video quality over component inputs... so if you've got a hd dvd player, or an xbox 360, or even old xbox with xmbc or something... I'd like to see how it looks.

I still don't see anything about HDCP on the 2407 on Dell's site.

Anyways, if there is anyone currently that owns the 2405 and has upgraded to the 2407, what is your take on the new model? Is it worth upgrading or should people with the 2405's hold on till something better comes along?

Dell's information is misleading. For example what is the contrast ratio? Is is 600:1 or 1000:1?

Look at the Highlights and then the Tech Specs...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4335

a ronin said:
I don't suppose that coupon is valid to Canadian consumers is it?

I bought one off ebay and seemed to not be processed through either dell.ca or dell.com so i phoned up and they gave me a 25% off. :) yayyyy cant wait.

kommissar said:
Actually I'm looking for video quality over component inputs... so if you've got a hd dvd player, or an xbox 360, or even old xbox with xmbc or something... I'd like to see how it looks.

I don't have an HD-DVD player or XBOX360 but i do have a regular XBOX using components that I could try and hook up...

sarvic said:
I don't have an HD-DVD player or XBOX360 but i do have a regular XBOX using components that I could try and hook up...

Absolutely! Well... that is if you've got any software for your xbox that would showcase it well...

sarvic said:
Could you hook us up with some pics playing a Quicktime 1080p trailer in maximized in full widescreen? that would be sweet!

Well...I bit. I had one of the 25% off coupons so I did it. Shipped free, came to 747.34 with tax. Shipping on/before 6/16. I'm excited about the monitor yet not quite over the queasyness of spending the money on it. :)

Yes of course there will be pics when it gets here. ;)

Baredor said:
I'm excited about the monitor yet not quite over the queasyness of spending the money on it. :)

That will go away quick when you see this beast!!!

Ordered mine Friday noonish, arrived today. This thing is awesome!!! No coupon yet though.:( Anybody got one their not gonna use?

SR

Just ordered the 2407 as well. I searched so long trying to find a nice monitor. I knew I would eventually be dissapointed with the 20"s so I decided to take the leap and get the 24".

Can't wait

a ronin said:
You bring the cluelessness from RFD to [H]. That's amazing. Here's what he had to say about banding.

Maybe cuz I missed the post. Is it such a big issue or you're still pissed off because I consistently prove you wrong in the debates :rolleyes:. I think the mod's attention will be needed to shut you up :rolleyes:.

sarvic said:
I'll try to play some 1080p quicktime trailers tonight but personally i think it's gonna be choppy cause my computer's not that fast. only runnin an AMD 2200+ with 1GB RAM and BFG 6800 AGP card. Still working on building a new gamer on the side....

There's only one way to find out and that is to try it.

ok....

I just got my 2407 today...

Bad news:

It's the A00 version.

Yes. It has banding. It has text blurring. I'm sending it back, and I'm a bit ticked off about it.

But there is good news:

1. I tried Xbox 360 on it -- despite the banding, which was readily apparent on the xbox 360 dashboard, the 360 titles looked REALLY good on it.

I played Halo 2 in 720 p - looked fantastic. No ghosting or lag. Real sharp looking. Good contrast.

I also played the Lost Planet Demo. Again, it looked really good, and I currently game on a 62" HDTV.

No use in taking pics though, considering the banding issue.

Rest assured, once the new version comes in, I'm pretty positive this will be a great monitor to use for the xbox 360.

Clevich said:
I bought one off ebay and seemed to not be processed through either dell.ca or dell.com so i phoned up and they gave me a 25% off. :) yayyyy cant wait.

Can you explain to me how you managed to get 25% off from Dell? I'm assuming you're Canadian also?

thespiritoftruth said:
ok....

Bad news:

It's the A00 version.

Yes. It has banding. It has text blurring. I'm sending it back, and I'm a bit ticked off about it.

What day did you place your order, and did you order direct through dell?

Wow, next day delivery... and still the older revision.

I saw that thread on teh dell forum as well... some confirmation would be nic ethough as I'm sure a lot of us are waiting for that date. :)

thespiritoftruth said:
Oh another thing...According to the Dell Moderator, anyone who orders their 2407's AFTER June 9th will get the A02s...

Lame. Do we still know what exactly the A02 revision is though? It seems like A01 fixed the banding as much as possible (in desktop mode that is), so I'm not sure what else could be done with the monitors this quicky. Either way I'm sure we can all bitch enough to get ours replaced with the newest revision :D

I don't really know.

I would have gladly taken an A01. The fact that I got an A00 really ticks me off.

I'm not sure how much they could have improved for the A02s.

thespiritoftruth said:
I don't really know.

I would have gladly taken an A01. The fact that I got an A00 really ticks me off.

I'm not sure how much they could have improved for the A02s.

Get them to send you a new one after the 9th. I probably sent back 4 or 5 1703s a couple a years ago before I finally got a matched pair.

thespiritoftruth said:
ok....

Bad news:

It's the A00 version.

But there is good news:

1. I tried Xbox 360 on it -- despite the banding, which was readily apparent on the xbox 360 dashboard, the 360 titles looked REALLY good on it.

I played Halo 2 in 720 p - looked fantastic. No ghosting or lag. Real sharp looking. Good contrast.

I also played the Lost Planet Demo. Again, it looked really good, and I currently game on a 62" HDTV.

No use in taking pics though, considering the banding issue.

Rest assured, once the new version comes in, I'm pretty positive this will be a great monitor to use for the xbox 360.

does 1080i with the xbox 360 work with component??? and if so how does it look? becuase the 2405 was supposed to look amazing at 1080i

Could someone please post some pictures of the whole monitor under daylight conditions.

Any input lag?

Thanks!

For those of you interested in seeing 1080p quicktime trailers, here are some still shots of them on mine:

Ice Age 2:
my.php

Ice Age 2:
my.php

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire:
my.php

King Kong:
my.php

and yes as expected, the videos were choppy as hell. but that's my computer's fault.

does 1080i with the xbox 360 work with component??? and if so how does it look? becuase the 2405 was supposed to look amazing at 1080i

I just used whatever was default under the component connection. I did not try to change the settings of my Xbox to 1080i (it was already set to 720p).

That said, despite the banding, the image quality was superb.

It took 2 returns of the HP L2335 but I finally got a brand new one with absolutely zero back light bleeding, but one dead pixel in lower portion out of usual site area, I only know because I scanned for it, otherwise it is never seen.
I have had this perfect monitor for a few weeks, and I can honestly say, this is a great monitor. Plays games no lagging, no ghosting, just nice nice everything.

By the way, HP just came out with 24 inch LCD with dual dvi inputs, 6ms response, but it is aledgedly PVA panel.

HP L2335 is the way to go, but be warned you might have to return a few times and put up with a bunch of bad tech support if you call after hours especially (it is hard to understand when they are talking from india, the voice was always so low I can barely hear them as well).

fishy1234 said:
It took 2 returns of the HP L2335 but I finally got a brand new one with absolutely zero back light bleeding, but one dead pixel in lower portion out of usual site area, I only know because I scanned for it, otherwise it is never seen.
I have had this perfect monitor for a few weeks, and I can honestly say, this is a great monitor. Plays games no lagging, no ghosting, just nice nice everything.

By the way, HP just came out with 24 inch LCD with dual dvi inputs, 6ms response, but it is aledgedly PVA panel.

HP L2335 is the way to go, but be warned you might have to return a few times and put up with a bunch of bad tech support if you call after hours especially (it is hard to understand when they are talking from india, the voice was always so low I can barely hear them as well).

no HP f-a-n-b-o-y advertising in a Dell WFP thread! :D

thenixhex311 said:
no HP f-a-n-b-o-y advertising in a Dell WFP thread! :D

I second that!

Oh, I hooked up my Gamecube to test out the S-video connection and tried 2 games on it.
Resident Evil and Mario Kart.
Res Evil looked kinda grainy. Quality was just so-so. Was starting to get a little disappointed. But then I put in Mario Kart and felt a little better. The picture quality was alot better then res evil. not perfect, but alot better. I'll try out xbox tomorrow

sarvic said:
I second that!

Oh, I hooked up my Gamecube to test out the S-video connection and tried 2 games on it.
Resident Evil and Mario Kart.
Res Evil looked kinda grainy. Quality was just so-so. Was starting to get a little disappointed. But then I put in Mario Kart and felt a little better. The picture quality was alot better then res evil. not perfect, but alot better. I'll try out xbox tomorrow

The Gamecube is gonna look like crap over svideo on your monitor. Get the component cables and hold down the B button when booting to get 480p mode

wangoflove said:
The Gamecube is gonna look like crap over svideo on your monitor. Get the component cables and hold down the B button when booting to get 480p mode

Is that for the xbox or gamecube?

I'm hooking up the Xbox with component today and will try Halo 2 on it.

Well I ordered mine this morning, here's hoping I don't have to wait 2 weeks like the order page says.

I got mine today (ordered on the 5th w/ coupon) they said expected shipdate was the 20th, so many of you will be surprized how quick you get yours.

I also got the cheapest free shipping, but I live in VA and they ship from TN.

it's sitting at home so I dont knwo what revission, or if any dead pixels, etc.. if I have any deffects I will probably wait until at least the 9th to setup an exchange.

I really hope I at least get REV A01

Oh, can any one tell me how to see the firmware version anyway via lcd menu?

thanks

sarvic said:
Is that for the xbox or gamecube?

I'm hooking up the Xbox with component today and will try Halo 2 on it.

I meant that for the Gamecube. Nintendo makes component cables for the Gamecube that not only allow for better overall picture quality, but also allow the majority of games (maybe 70%) to be played in 480p mode. It should say on the back of the case the game came in if progressive scan (480p) mode is supported. You have to hold down the B button on the controller so that the game boots in 480p mode.

I would say that the vast majority (~90%) of Xbox games are 480p by default, with some having 720p modes. Soul Calibur 2, for example, has a 720p mode.

a ronin said:
Can you explain to me how you managed to get 25% off from Dell? I'm assuming you're Canadian also?

buy a coupon code off ebay, plug it in, if it doesnt work... phone them up and say you're having problems redeeming it... then they'll ask for it. I managed to get 25% off plus free shipping (ya i think us canadians still pay $15 or something??) total came to $854.15 (including gst/pst) should be here in 3-5 days! woooohoooo.

im up and running on it right now..

rev is A01

there seems to be some red banding definitelly, although is almost non existent. You have to look for it to really notice it.

NO dead pixels, YAY!!

more to come later, have to go back to work

I'll take some shots and post later

Ya, my total came to 870 cdn. Would have been 850, but they charged me 15 for shipping... whatever.

Pretty good deal. I didn't even have a coupon. I just told them the coupon code from a few pages back and they came back with that price. I ordered it last night.

A few more impressions now that Im back at work with more time..

First of all it's an A01. the second thing is, NO dead pixels whatsoever. YAY!!

I had it setup in "desktop mode" since its the one supossedly fixed. Well, there is definitelly some banding.

red seems to be theone as others descrbed. I did the gradient test and gree/blue looked like smooth transitions.

However, when playing a 1080P QT trailer, there was significant banding in the blues. Not sure if its the monitor, or the trailer. As the gradient test didnt show it. (I played the IceAge2 trailer-d)

It's setup to 1:1 aspect via drivers, and its being driven by my 7900GTX.

There was also tearing while playign vids. I'll have to test more carefully when going back home after work, didnt have much time.

HalfLife2 EP1 looked AMAZING...

I'll have to experiemnt to get blacker blacks as well, but im sure people will start figuring these things out. Overall im pretty happy, except for some of the banding issues, wich I have yet to discover why they are happening in some situations only (like why in video, but not in gradient test)

PS: this thing dwarfs my 2001FP beside it.

1 CON: the stand does adjust up and down, but it really doesnt go that high up, which is somewhat an issue since my center speaker (Z5500's) is right agains the lcd and it will not go higher.

I'll post pics in full 7.2MP glory with gradints, games and QTHD trailers and let you guys judge for your selfs.

NEODARK said:
A few more impressions now that Im back at work with more time..

First of all it's an A01. the second thing is, NO dead pixels whatsoever. YAY!!

I had it setup in "desktop mode" since its the one supossedly fixed. Well, there is definitelly some banding.

red seems to be theone as others descrbed. I did the gradient test and gree/blue looked like smooth transitions.

However, when playing a 1080P QT trailer, there was significant banding in the blues. Not sure if its the monitor, or the trailer. As the gradient test didnt show it. (I played the IceAge2 trailer-d)

It's setup to 1:1 aspect via drivers, and its being driven by my 7900GTX.

There was also tearing while playign vids. I'll have to test more carefully when going back home after work, didnt have much time.

HalfLife2 EP1 looked AMAZING...

I'll have to experiemnt to get blacker blacks as well, but im sure people will start figuring these things out. Overall im pretty happy, except for some of the banding issues, wich I have yet to discover why they are happening in some situations only (like why in video, but not in gradient test)

1 CON: the stand does adjust up and down, but it really doesnt go that high up, which is somewhat an issue since my center speaker (Z5500's) is right agains the lcd and it will not go higher.

I'll post pics in full 7.2MP glory with gradints, games and QTHD trailers and let you guys judge for your selfs.

ON WITH THE PICTURES!!

...and i just realized this but. EXACTLY, what is supposedly different between the A01 and the A02 revisions? I thought A01 was supposed to be a 'fixed revision' as well

NEODARK said:

Neodark, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts between the 2001fp and the 2407. I currently have the 2001fp and have been itching to upgrade to the 24"...just not sure about the differences with the PVA panel. I love my 2001, but would like more space for windows and stuff...as well as the component inputs and ability to hook up a 360.

In particular, if you could do a comparison on how the 2407 is with scaling to lower resolutions compared to the 2001, I would appreciate it. I would also like your thoughts on the colors between the two monitors, as I understand the PVA panel in the 2407 may look a little more washed out compared to the IPS panel in the 2001. I've read the 2405 was significantly bright (even turned all the way down). Is the 2407 like this? I already have my 2001fp brightness turned all the way down. Would the 2407 be too bright for me?. Are blacks better?

I've previously read a few posts regarding the 2001fp versus the 2405, but most people were stuck on the size differences. Your observations would be much appreciated!

Back