300 watts, more than you think!

Wall watts draw is different from component watts draw.

No, what your thinking is Volt Amps. A measurement by any inductive load or non resistive type load. aka, our switching type power supplies. A watt is a watt, no matter where you measure it, Volts x Amps, no exceptions.

Watts is only a good measurement is purely resistive loads. But thats how PS manufactures list their rating, we are sort of stuck with it.

Seasonic PSs have power factory correction which helps minimize the delta between Watts and Volt Amps.

I remember reading that review from way-back now. I love the following (esp the end part):

Black with uranium green LED, Titanium... no wait.. gray with Aqua Velva blue fan, Pepsi can blue with Coke red light and machine-that-smashes-a-penny-into-a-souvenier souvenir copperish orange with "oh shit, is that fire?" orange light.

..Notice the PSU "repair" guy hasn't posted in this thread again? Tail between legs perhaps? ;)

I'd take the opionions of reviewers like Jonny and co, with transparent (and [far too] hardcore for the cheapie units) testing procedures..And many thousands of dead presidents (?) invested in their testing equipment, over the average person/reviewer/"repair" guy who just plonks together an average low-draw system and proclaims it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Try top-end quad core, high end SLI/CF, a HD setup that you have to count on both hands to audit, maybe throw in a pelt for good measure, and the like before calling a $30 (600+ w: read 300w) PSU a better buy than a true 600w (that weighs A LOT by comparison). These shady PSU makers need to be called to task for what amounts to the fraud they're perpitrating on the (ill-informed) consumer.

ps Good to see the [H] joining the game, finally. I *demand* to see a fair share of P4 on Vapochill style reviews - read: blow some sh*t up! :p

omg cant believe u said that. im sure theres a pufrfectly good excuse, like his psu blew :O hahahahahaha

These shady PSU makers need to be called to task for what amounts to the fraud they're perpitrating on the (ill-informed) consumer.

I'll second this comment. Part of the reason I started this thread, a "true" PS, such as Seasonic, a 300 watt rating is "more than you think"!

I was going to start a new thread, but this looks like the thread I want to be in. A little off topic, but not really. I'm looking for a power supply to use in my new rig. My last computer I built almost 2 years ago now had a Thermaltake power supply that came with my Tsunami... bad mistake because it blew up less than a year later, and I think probably contributed quite a bit to my MSI Nforce4 Socket 939 mobo kicking it soon after (And for a while I blamed MSI for making crappy mobo's.... I'm still not over the n00b hump I guess).

So this rig I want to do, and I'm doing it right. These are most likely the component's I'll be using (I've only bought the ram so far)
E6300 (want to overclock nicely)
8800 GTS 320 or 640 MB version
2x1GB Buffalo Firestix PC2-6400
Asus Commando, possibly Gigabyte DS3 if I'm short on cash
2 optical drives
Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB harddrive
Possibly a Raptor 74 GB

Think that's about it... probably 3 120mm case fans and a Scythe Ninja for cooling

Now my question is... Originally I was going to get a Seasonic 380W, but was told that I should jump to the 500W if I'm overclocking this rig, but that was out of my price range, so instead I was planning on the FSP Fortron 500W Blue Storm II or maybe the Silverstone 500W.... what do you guys think? Enough to power this thing? Or would the Seasonic be enough juice for it? I'm getting a P965 so I don't ever plan on adding a second video card...

Thanks for the comments

That is hot! I saw that a week or two ago but I don't think it was that cheap. I'll take it!

out of curiosity whats the efficiency of the corsairs? i know cooler masters are 85% :p

out of curiosity whats the efficiency of the corsairs? i know cooler masters are 85% :p

Typical efficiency depends on load, as you can see here:
HX_efficiency.jpg

big deal... i ran a 800XT, athlon 3000+, 2 GB ram, HD, DVD burner on a 5 yr old 300 watt PSU for 2 weeks. The PSU made some sparking sounds when playing Gothic III though lol.

My system in my rig is running on an Antec 350W from 2-3 years ago. I even took out the 2 fans in side of it and mounted a 120mm fan on the bottom with ghetto tape. It still works great.

Not exactly 300W but close, some best pick ups from one thread in Finnish MuroBBS:

Pentium-D @4.05 (dare to calculate TDP?), X1800XT Crossfire, 4HDs: Antec Neo HE 430W
FX60, overclocked X1900XTX Crossfire: Antec Neo HE 380W
Also one person had run E6600@3995 (&1.55V) and "slightly" overclocked" X1950XTX temporarily with Chieftec 350W. (gave some coil whine)

coolermaster igreen are 85% at 90% load i believe.
"Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups."
Especially in computers and trusting marketing clowns.

Well I've been running the following folding NONSTOP for the [H]orde for 3 months now!

Intel Pentium 4HT 2.8GHZ
1GB DDR333
ATI RADEON X1950PRO AGP 512MB @ 607/702
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
120GB HDD
DVD-RW Drive
CD-ROM Drive
80mm LED Case Fan
60mm CPU Fan
40mm LED Chipset Fan.

And all this runs perfectly on my Fortron 300 watt mATX PSU. This is what you call a lot of power in a small package.
I can confirm that it hasn't crashed once and the +12V rail never goes below 11.92.

Intel processors after the PentiumD are energy-efficient. For a typical setup, there's not much reason why a new computer built around a C2D would require a PSU more powerful than the one you use to power a PentiumD.

geforce 6600gt, 7600gt, 7900gt and 7950gt are energy-efficient too. You don't need a nuclear reactor to power those, even in SLI.

However, if you're running 2x videocards with gigantic coolers (geforce XTX) in SLI/CF, that's where the higher power PSUs will come in.

(i'm assuming that people actually buy decent PSUs like FSP, Antec, Seasonic etc and not generic ones)

Intel processors after the PentiumD are energy-efficient. For a typical setup, there's not much reason why a new computer built around a C2D would require a PSU more powerful than the one you use to power a PentiumD.

geforce 6600gt, 7600gt, 7900gt and 7950gt are energy-efficient too. You don't need a nuclear reactor to power those, even in SLI.

However, if you're running 2x videocards with gigantic coolers (geforce XTX) in SLI/CF, that's where the higher power PSUs will come in.

(i'm assuming that people actually buy decent PSUs like FSP, Antec, Seasonic etc and not generic ones)

So do you think say a 400W FSP would be enough for an 8800GTS, E6300 overclocked, and like 1 or 2 HDD's, 1 or 2 opticals, and 3 or 4 fans?

Here's a better one, closer to his current review methodology.

There's something very satisfying about truthful reviews of crappy power supplies. Maybe I just like seeing things blow up.:D

My favorite quote.

"After blowing up a couple of these, it has yet to be determined how the 500W number is derived." -jonnyGURU

Two crucial aspects that are overlooked:
1. Operating temperature (negatively affects true wattage)
2. Electrolytic capacitor aging:
When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a power supply will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 25-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years.
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

So do you think say a 400W FSP would be enough for an 8800GTS, E6300 overclocked, and like 1 or 2 HDD's, 1 or 2 opticals, and 3 or 4 fans?

Should be fine until you go SLI. But I would opt for the 450watter, it's got a nice boost on the 12v rail which is what you need and does not cost much more at all.

I've been very happy with my PSU (listed in sig) I've had it for about 5 years now and still going strong. One of the better investments I've made.

Back