300 watts, more than you think!

and for 4yrs? i mean, myns 730w and im gettin a booster for a 2nd g-card as myn only has 2 pci-e so i got plenty of head room. but how long will they last?

It is the ATI & Nvidia that are causing the rush to 1KW PSU's.
The newest AMD/Intel CPU's use far less power than their predecessors.
Mobos don't draw much power, they never have.

If everyone could live with 7600GT's, then $40, 400W PSU's would be more than enough!

Old post, but I thought I'd bring it back from the dead to tell everybody that my 400watt FSP is cranking away with 2 more hard drives (4 total now), 2 more sticks of ram for 3GB total running at 2.1v, and the real upgrade... an MSI 8800GT 512MB. My new kill-a-watt readings are idle/crysis (peak in crysis) 142/230 watts. I tried intel's thermal monitor tool which has a load base and I ran it with the CS:S video stress test with everything max and wasn't about to tip over 230 total system watts. That's registered at the AC input side, not the DC output. A ruff estimate is that my system is using 190 watts DC tops and that's rounding up! I doubt anybody really understand their system power consumption needs anymore. My 2 added hard drives are seagate 7200.10 single platter 250GB drives which consume so little power it's not even funny. The c2d is overclocked by 50% and running on stock voltage. The chipset is stable at 500MHz FSB and I'm only running it at 400, etc. The list goes on and on. If anything we should have seen a move to more efficient and lower or equal power output. SLI = a decent PSU needed but anything other and it's a complete waste. A 400w good brand PSU will outlast a 800w no name so where should you put your money? Did nobody learn from the bigger isn't always better with Intel's P4 through D era?

You are using a Kill-A-Watt so your numbers are really not very accurate.

Wow this thread is back from before I built my last rig.... just so everyone knows also, my Xclio Stablepower 460watt is still running strong, although I sold off my GTS and got a 7600GT :confused:

Hoping to have a 9600GT or an 8800GT within a month or two though. It should handle it fine.

Back