460 sli + 8600gt for physx

Will it work?

the 8600gt is a 256mb card i think

If not I might go get another card for folding/physx :D

It will work, but it most likely won't give you any speed increase whatsoever. It might even slow it down.

Anyone follow up on this yet? I have a 460SLI setup on a i7 and have a spare eVGA 8800GT SC edition laying around (put a 460 in the q6600 machine too!)

curious if it's worth doing just for kicks or not? If it slows it down, I'll most definitely leave it out.. anyone try yet?

The 8600 GT only has 32 shaders...and works horrendously.

I built a new computer for a friend a few years ago and he gave me his old system for parts. It had a EVGA 8600 GTS 512MB card in it and I figured I'd pair it up with my 8800 GTS and see how it does for Physx processing. It was awful. I tried it with both UT3 and GRAW2. There would be all sorts of stuttering, my framerates were in the low 10's to 20's, and even loading levels/maps would take a couple of minutes.

I didn't run Physx again until I had a GTX 260 as my main card and had the 8800 dedicated to PPU work. It was much smoother. I wouldn't recommend using a card with less than 96 or 128 shaders for Physx after that experience.

The 8600 GT only has 32 shaders...and works horrendously.

I built a new computer for a friend a few years ago and he gave me his old system for parts. It had a EVGA 8600 GTS 512MB card in it and I figured I'd pair it up with my 8800 GTS and see how it does for Physx processing. It was awful. I tried it with both UT3 and GRAW2. There would be all sorts of stuttering, my framerates were in the low 10's to 20's, and even loading levels/maps would take a couple of minutes.

I didn't run Physx again until I had a GTX 260 as my main card and had the 8800 dedicated to PPU work. It was much smoother. I wouldn't recommend using a card with less than 96 or 128 shaders for Physx after that experience.

this man speaks the truth

Anyone follow up on this yet? I have a 460SLI setup on a i7 and have a spare eVGA 8800GT SC edition laying around (put a 460 in the q6600 machine too!)

curious if it's worth doing just for kicks or not? If it slows it down, I'll most definitely leave it out.. anyone try yet?

8800gt should give you a decent boost in gpu physx games. def shouldn't slow it down.

Last edited:
When my main gfx is being considered for use for physx, i think its time to upgrade
Grab a 460 1gb, you won't be disappointed.

I had an overclocked 9600 GSO 96sp pulling physx duty until just recently (friend needed a video card to hold him over). It worked great but as has been said, I wouldn't want less compute power than that.

I'm happy to report back that my 2x 460 SLI with 8800GT Physx is as smooth as running my 280 as SLI. My testing was purely based on running random physx games (such as borderlands). No difference in average hangout of FPS.

I did put my 8800GT onto a single 460 and on my q6600 (where it was suppose to go) and it did bump my fps up very very very slightly. Difference was negligible.

I'm happy to report back that my 2x 460 SLI with 8800GT Physx is as smooth as running my 280 as SLI. My testing was purely based on running random physx games (such as borderlands). No difference in average hangout of FPS.

I did put my 8800GT onto a single 460 and on my q6600 (where it was suppose to go) and it did bump my fps up very very very slightly. Difference was negligible.

actually borderlands doesn't use the gpu for physx. if you want to really evaluate the use of the 8800gt as a dedicated physx processor, you need to use a different game that does make use of gpu physx (batman arkham asylum, mirrors edge, dark void, mafia 2, metro 2033, etc.)

actually borderlands doesn't use the gpu for physx. if you want to really evaluate the use of the 8800gt as a dedicated physx processor, you need to use a different game that does make use of gpu physx (batman arkham asylum, mirrors edge, dark void, mafia 2, metro 2033, etc.)

That 'etc' isn't really necessary since there hasn't been anything recent beyond that list. I was trying to rationalize picking up a heavily discounted GT240 for physx to replace my 9600 but there just doesn't seem to be any increase in the number of titles trickling out. If there are some I am missing please correct me.

That 'etc' isn't really necessary since there hasn't been anything recent beyond that list. I was trying to rationalize picking up a heavily discounted GT240 for physx to replace my 9600 but there just doesn't seem to be any increase in the number of titles trickling out. If there are some I am missing please correct me.

actually the etc. was for older titles that i didn't include, like from physxinfo.com. and i wouldn't see a reason to go from a gt240 from a 9600 since the performance would be very similar. the only worthwhile upgrade if you wanted to see a substantial gain in gpu physx performance would be a gts250/450 in terms of price, imo. as far as the number of titles, no there has not been much stuff coming out. it is still very much a niche option. last game was mafia2 this past august. in 2011, it will probably just be deep black and batman arkham city off the top of my head.

I actually got rid of the 9600 because I was never using physx and a friend needed a card...I should update my Sig.

I fear Nvidia won't get much traction unless they license it to ATI for a per card fee, then it would be attractive to devs. As it is, the act of keeping it proprietary in order to make it a differentiating feature is essentially preventing it from being a feature at all.

I actually got rid of the 9600 because I was never using physx and a friend needed a card...I should update my Sig.

I fear Nvidia won't get much traction unless they license it to ATI for a per card fee, then it would be attractive to devs. As it is, the act of keeping it proprietary in order to make it a differentiating feature is essentially preventing it from being a feature at all.

true, but that won't ever happen. ati won't support a competitors tech and nvidia won't give up a competitive advantage, no matter how minor the checkmark. so hardware accelerated physics probably won't gain much traction until the next gen consoles come out with dx11 gpus which should allow devs to take advantage of the tech across all platforms, which is where we should start to see a much larger push in improving gameplay physics. until then, the situation won't change much. gpu physx will just continue to be a nice optional bonus feature in the handful of games that make use of it for those that have compatible hardware.

Back