5800 series overclocking results.

Here is my max overclock on my XFX HD5870. 1125/1298 at 1.35v. I am using an EK water block.

So close to 21k in Vantage!

Very nice.. these cards OC high when kept cool.. What are your load temps like on water?

35c-37c depending on the overclock. For 24/7 I run it at stock, but for benching that's a whole other story. Keep in mind I can keep my water temp at 20c-21c because of my chiller, but the delta is the same for a standard water cooling GPU only loop with a triple rad. At stock it is like 8c delta if that helps.

HD5850 is fast. Over at HWbot this is how I'm doing with the HD5850.

HD5850scaleHWbot.JPG

HD5850 is fast. Over at HWbot this is how I'm doing with the HD5850.

HD5850scaleHWbot.JPG
That's a nice OC, cept I don't think you can get any game to run without crashing unless you got some special cooling. Max i can get my asus 5850 is 1035 core 1200 mem, max volts. and that's just a few runs of Vantage. Load up Streetfighter or Batman and it locks up after a few runs. But, ...maybe yours is special....

That's a nice OC, cept I don't think you can get any game to run without crashing unless you got some special cooling. Max i can get my asus 5850 is 1035 core 1200 mem, max volts. and that's just a few runs of Vantage. Load up Streetfighter or Batman and it locks up after a few runs. But, ...maybe yours is special....
Try lowering the voltage a bit and cranking the fan to 100%. I'm assuming the 5850 behaves identically to the 5870 and its stability is heavily dependent on temperature.

Have you heard 100% fans on these cards? It's like a hairblower.... but yeah you prob right, I don't have my card set that high for everyday use. 981 core, 1200mem 1.274 volts, thing never gets above 70c. Thing is, if you are using Vista or Win 7 with aero, if you open up alot of webpages at a time, the card will kick into full speed, and the temps will spike up, thus making your fan spike. Gets annoying after a while. And I think it prob decreases the life of the fan too by shutting on and off constantly when in 2d mode. I just set it to 35% ofr everything below 50c, above 50c fan set at 65%. Hear alot less on and off sound coming fro fan.

Thing is, if you are using Vista or Win 7 with aero, if you open up alot of webpages at a time, the card will kick into full speed, and the temps will spike up, thus making your fan spike.

What browser are you using? Does it support tabs? Not trying to be deliberately obtuse, I've just never heard of this phenomenon before. I wouldn't think that this would happen under normal operating circumstances. How many windows are you opening at a time when this occurs?

So far I have submitted VAntage, Aquamark, and 3dMark03 scores to HWBot and the dot on the graph represent my average over clock for my HD5850 for the benchmark submitted.

Yesterday I played UT3 for over an hour straight with my clocks at 1050/1270 without any problems at all.

Before I installed my drivers I did a clean uninstall killing any ATI drivers. Do this by CCc, Driver sweeper.

Then I did a clean install with the beta 9.11 drivers.

Using MSI afterburner 1.3.0 for voltage tweaking and fan control.
Using AMD GPU tool for frequency control.
Using ATI CC for 3D video control.

This is the stock BIOS for the Diamond card. I submitted BIOS over at the GPU-Z data base.

Very nice utnorris.
Things are going well for my over clocking on the HD5850. I'm seeing easy boost in frequencies. Just not seeing the performance outputs I expected. I was hoping to break at least 17,000 with my clocks below.

1000/1200

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/uhq2p/

The 5850 is quite fast but it has 10% less shaders than a 5870. So it's not like it's going to beat an equally clocked 5870. Getting to 1ghz core on a 5850 is impressive though. Is your card Furmark stable at 1Ghz? How loud does it get?

Is your card Furmark stable at 1Ghz? How loud does it get?

I'd rather have a HD5870 but it cost more than I'm willing to pay for a single video card.

It was stable at 1 GHZ with Furmark. This is from some Furmark stability testing I did with it at 1GHz core. Well over an hour running (look at seconds ran).
For the most part with my voltae settings it peaked right at 52 degrees C.

It hit 57 because when I started the testing the voltage was higher and I tweaked down the voltage a little to find a sweet spot.

FurmarktestingHD5850.jpg

Have you heard 100% fans on these cards? It's like a hairblower.... but yeah you prob right, I don't have my card set that high for everyday use. 981 core, 1200mem 1.274 volts, thing never gets above 70c. Thing is, if you are using Vista or Win 7 with aero, if you open up alot of webpages at a time, the card will kick into full speed, and the temps will spike up, thus making your fan spike. Gets annoying after a while. And I think it prob decreases the life of the fan too by shutting on and off constantly when in 2d mode. I just set it to 35% ofr everything below 50c, above 50c fan set at 65%. Hear alot less on and off sound coming fro fan.
Oh, I wouldn't recommend it for daily use, but some people are really into maximum overclocks, and that would be the way to do it. Personally, I don't like hearing excess noise above an almost inaudible hum from my PC. Hence I leave my card on stock volts with a mild overclock, and the fan rarely exceeds 30% fan in games :). Also, don't worry about variable fan speeds. Most wear on fans comes from stopping and starting (booting up, power down); once on, the fan only goes down to 20% speed.

I am looking for a cooling solution for my 5870,

it seems I am also run into heat limit when I push up to 1050-1060..

the temperature shows at 75c, then it crash. to me it looks like some other part is hitting over 90-100c..

I will try to remove the back-plate tonight to see if that helps the temperature, since I heard quite a few people talking about back-plate will increase temp about 5c...

also gonna add 2 80MM fan on it to see if it helps :p

What browser are you using? Does it support tabs? Not trying to be deliberately obtuse, I've just never heard of this phenomenon before. I wouldn't think that this would happen under normal operating circumstances. How many windows are you opening at a time when this occurs?
Not obtuse at all. I am using Win explorer 8 with windows 7 32 bit. Let me clarify the problem, or rather more of an annoyance than problem. The 5850 idles at 157 mhz core. Lets say you overclock to 1000 core. And lets say this require 1.25 volts. The idle voltage is .9 I believe. Now lets say you are using a fan profile that, lets say, turns the fan on 50% when you hit 40C, and under 40C you have the fan at 20%. Well when you surf and aero is on, your card will go on and off into 3d mode/ 2d mode. ANd thus core is switching from 157mhz to 1000mhz. This can cause temps to go from 37C idle (my idle temp) to 50C for a brief moment, thus the fan swithes from 20% to 50% then back to 20% a few seconds later . Well the fan going from 20% to 50% is pretty noticable. And this revving up revving dwon of the fan constantly is sort of annoying. I think you just have to try different fan profiles and find a nice fan curve. Thans all I'm saying

btw, off topic, what prog are you guys using to take screenshots in Win 7? I used to use fraps but it doesnt seem to take screenshots in win 7 for me. Thanks

I'd rather have a HD5870 but it cost more than I'm willing to pay for a single video card.

It was stable at 1 GHZ with Furmark. This is from some Furmark stability testing I did with it at 1GHz core. Well over an hour running (look at seconds ran).
For the most part with my voltae settings it peaked right at 52 degrees C.

It hit 57 because when I started the testing the voltage was higher and I tweaked down the voltage a little to find a sweet spot.

FurmarktestingHD5850.jpg

52c load @ those overclocks? Dam what fan speed are you running? I'm at 950/1250 on stock voltage. I have no desire to take it further. Of course I said that at 900/1200.

Well it does say fan speed @ 4569 RPM. So that's probably 100% fan or close to it.
The 5850 also looks like a beast of an overclocker. And it's 90% the card for over $100 less than a 5870.
So it's certainly a great video card for the enthusiast as well.

Is there a certain method to the 9.11 Beta4 installation? I was reading on guru3d and they were installing all kinds of stuff and also saying you have to keep the old CCC in tact? I keep hearing good things about this driver.. I want to give it a shot.

Is there a certain method to the 9.11 Beta4 installation? I was reading on guru3d and they were installing all kinds of stuff and also saying you have to keep the old CCC in tact? I keep hearing good things about this driver.. I want to give it a shot.

I do what I always do.

I completely killed all ATI related drivers by doing a clean uninstall using CCC and driver sweeper. Did that about 3 times till everything was gone.

Then I installed the 9.11 beta drivers.

I was able to just plain install the 9.11 Beta4 drivers, no muss no fuss. I upgraded after just a plain uninstall of the Display Driver only, on Vista 64, and today I plainly installed them after a fresh format with my newly-arrived Win7 Home Premium 64. Both installs worked just like any other.

By the way Sonda, be careful with driver cleaner, it can screw up VIsta/above from what I hear by removing actual system files... under those OS's there's no need for that sort of thing anymore.

By the way Sonda, be careful with driver cleaner, it can screw up VIsta/above from what I hear by removing actual system files... under those OS's there's no need for that sort of thing anymore.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit RC. No problems.

Currently top of the list on the clock speeds for Vantage at HWbot.
Clocks 1075/1300

http://hwbot.org/result.do?resultId=912242

Vantage score is P18,289 which puts me in 6th place single HD5850 at the HWbot rankings right now.
:cool:

Got a Q for you Mr Sonda...Do you actually play any games? Any at all? Seems you just play Vantage. I mean Vantage is really cool and all, but it does get boring after a while, especially when there is no user input. Or do you hold a wireless Xbox360 controller and pretend you are flying the ship in the Calico test? Or driving the boat as Jane Nash? I mean jeez, how bout some game benchmarks...or last least some GPU score in Vantage, if thats the only "game" you ever plan on playing. I mean I was lucky to grab a 5850 too, but I use it to get a better game experience at a small upgrade cost (I'm still using core duo and 680i)...Crysis, RE5, GHostbusters, Hawx, Batman, etc, etc. Whats the point of a GPU if you don't play games...

There is a reason why [H]ardOCP never uses vantage in its reviews. Its cause its boring. I mean I been OC'ing since the celeron 300A, when people got hard ons runnig it at 450mhz, the days before there was even a 3dmark, days before water cooling. And at the end of the day, I loaded up a game...Jedi Knight, Quake 2,..whatever...point is...I think you're lame.

Over and out...

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I am not the only one who has noticed you can push your clock way higher for 3dmark and end up not stable in games. Yes it can still be fun trying to hit these numbers but in the end most of us clock them back down for daily use.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one who has noticed you can push your clock way higher for 3dmark and end up not stable in games. Yes it can still be fun trying to hit these numbers but in the end most of us clock them back down for daily use.

Yup... I care about numbers usable 24/7 in games without being over-the-top noisy on the fan speed. I set up a curve that maxes at around 52% (loud but not audible during a game, which is when it actually occasionally reaches this) at high temps and am running my 5870 @ 1000c/1222m 1.25v, works perfectly in all the games I've tried (WAR, NFS Shift, SF4, Team Fortress 2, CoD4) for hours with no artifacting at all or crashing. In the end, what good is a barely-stable run-through of 3dmark with a jet-engine fan (the GPU equivalent of a CPU suicide run) for what you actually do with a video card: game or CAD? No offense meant, but realistically unusable setups aren't really anything awe-inspiring :). FurMark is stressful but it won't overheat your card in a tiny window like that, it needs to be full-screened to really stress anything.

Last edited:
I actually posted a separate thread about this, but I thought I'd drop a question in here since this one's real active. I recently ordered my Diamond 5850 and heard good things about these cards OCing in general. However there are many individuals on various forums who say that the card OC'ed will not match the 5870, without backing up these claims. However, here are some benchies:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_hd_5850_performance_preview/page19.asp

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850/8.htm

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850/11.htm

So my question is, to anyone who happens to have some more links or thread related to this, is it true that a 5850 OC'ed to or a little over 5870 speeds will be almost equal in performance to a stock 5870, if not surpass it? These reviews seem to point in that direction.

I actually posted a separate thread about this, but I thought I'd drop a question in here since this one's real active. I recently ordered my Diamond 5850 and heard good things about these cards OCing in general. However there are many individuals on various forums who say that the card OC'ed will not match the 5870, without backing up these claims. However, here are some benchies:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_hd_5850_performance_preview/page19.asp

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850/8.htm

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850/11.htm

So my question is, to anyone who happens to have some more links or thread related to this, is it true that a 5850 OC'ed to or a little over 5870 speeds will be almost equal in performance to a stock 5870, if not surpass it? These reviews seem to point in that direction.
Being a 5850 owner, I'm probably biased. But I think an overclocked 5850 can easily equal a stock 5870. I do not own a 5870 and can't tell you from a head to head comparison. But using the various reviews around the net, I notice that the 5850 stock gets like 13000 gpu scores in vantage, give or take 500 points, and the 5870 gets around 16000, give or take 500 points. This Gpu number seems realiable across systems regardless of processor or mem config.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5850-review-crossfire/19

I get 12777 with the stock clock on my 5850. Up the clock to 980, 1200 mem, and i get 16100 gpu points. Pretty much equal to a 5870 stock.
THe only question is...can your 5850 hit +950 core 1200 mem easily and run games stable? It's a gamble..

My setup is a core duo 6850 at 3.6ghz, 2 gigs ddr 2 800 @800 , 750w thermaltake power supply, evga 680i p33 bios
Hope this helps...

Yeah, but then you could overclock the 5870 and beat that still :). The headroom isn't as great but it's still plenty.

Yeah, but then you could overclock the 5870 and beat that still :). The headroom isn't as great but it's still plenty.
True....

Here's some game benchies for an indirect comparison: ran at 1920 by 1080 4x AA 16x AF all in game settings set to highest available. All tests used the in game tests.

Street FIghter 4: 117 fps
Hawx DX 10.1 : 60 fps
Batman (nophysx): 103 fps
Farcry 2 (ranch long): 59 fps
World in Conflict: 41 fps
Resident Evil 5 (variable test): 75 fps

Thanks a bunch for your responses SirCumsized. That's precisely the kind of info I was looking for, a first hand experience. I'm not too concerned about how far the 5870 OC's (which from what I read is not too impressive with it comes to OCing), so long as there's the possibility that I can reach/beat it's stock speeds if I OC this beast :D.

I'm running on the following specs:

Q6600 @ 3.2 (I can go 3.6+ if I want, since I'm on water)
Asus Maximus Formula SE
4GB OCZ PC6400
24" Gateway FDH2400
8800GTX (just sold it)

As you can see, this is going to be a HUGE upgrade for me, one that's been in waiting for a long time (basically since the 8800GTX's were released). I hope to get some nice clocks on my Diamond card, and I'll be sure to post my results to this thread!

Thanks a bunch for your responses SirCumsized. That's precisely the kind of info I was looking for, a first hand experience. I'm not too concerned about how far the 5870 OC's (which from what I read is not too impressive with it comes to OCing), so long as there's the possibility that I can reach/beat it's stock speeds if I OC this beast :D.

Sounds like your mind was already made up anyway, but a 5870 oc'd will quite handily beat a 5850 oc'd. They're both fine cards, but don't go in with the expectation of just-as-fast speed when apples to apples it won't be. It's like saying an 8800GTS 640 would be as fast OC'd as an 8800GTX (96sp vs. 128sp), the extra hardware and memory speed literally can't add up to the same speed.

The GTX had a 33% increase in SP's over the GTS and the difference showed oc-to-oc, just like it does here (not to quite as severe an extent but it's there). The shaders alone, let alone higher likely 24/7 speed, add 11% at equal clocks, as well as having higher memory bandwidth at stock than most 5850's will OC to (and remember, the 5870 can still be OC'd). Add in an average overclock of 850-875mhz (5850) vs. 1000mhz (5870) on the core for average 24/7 use without the fan at 100% from what I've seen in these threads, and that's another raw ~18% just from the clock speeds.

Alright, 950 / 1300 furmark stable on my xfx 5850. 975 core seemed fine but was a no go at 980. So just to be safe, dialed it back down to 950 / 1300. Been playing games on these clocks for hours, along with furmark, and that new dx11 benchmark. This is on stock voltage so I'm happy. I'm just not willing to raise the voltage on the gpu to get to
1ghz.

Being a 5850 owner, I'm probably biased. But I think an overclocked 5850 can easily equal a stock 5870.

it does.
price/performance is awesome.
running 1ghz gpu is also nice.
Rocks.

I bet the eyefinity will be the main difference between the cards.
less than that not much.

So rather than study for my upcoming exam, I did some extensive testing on overclocking the 5870 last night (because I have priorities like that :p). Basically, how far you can overclock this card stably is almost entirely dependent on temperature. I think the water cooling crowd is going to have a ball with these cards. Voltage has a much smaller effect, and really should be used at a minimum. I ended up using voltage to either A) push a clock higher after I had tried all other options (cooling, lowering memory, etc.) or B) stabilize a clock setting at a higher temperature (due to using lower fan speeds). For example, if I keep temps under ~77C using 45% fan, 950MHz is perfectly stable ~1.2V. To stabilize it at 85-88C (where the stock Auto fan profile keeps the card), I need 1.262V. I can run 1000MHz perfectly stable at only 1.275V if temps are kept below ~67C, which requires ~80% fan (damn, I know). I can also run 940MHz at 1.212V stable with only 33% fan and the card stays between 85-87C.

Note, I'm also running the ASUS BIOS now, which, maybe it's all in my mind, helped the card run cooler. It also really unlocked my RAM. I actual could run 1400MHz on the RAM without it crashing. However, it's obvious that error correction was kicking in - literally, games would freeze for a second or two as data was being sent over and over. Note that when you're clocking you RAM, make sure the card is hot before you start raising the clocks. The RAM is much more stable at colder temperatures.

I think my temperatures might be higher than most due to my smaller case. However, I'm really liking 940MHz/1300MHz @ 1.212V right now, and I'm considering that as my 24/7 setting since it's so quiet (33% fan :D). If you want any hard data/curve relationships from my testing, let me know. The other thing I want to work on is the cooling for the card. Three things I'm considering now are yanking off the backplate (looks like like it just traps heat in there), redoing the thermal paste on the core, and yanking off the backplate of the card. The last one may not happen as it seems they (XFX or AMD) gimped one of the screws so you can't pull of the back plate without cutting it. I'll see if I can get a tool from my Dad's workshop at home to re-tap the thread so I can extract it safely.

I think your right, with water cooling at max saphire settings 900/1300 on 100% load just breaking 33degrees. I hate to admit it but last time I flashed anything was with a floppy drive and I' am having some difficulty figuring out how to flash with a zip drive which i ahte to admit that I have never done it before.....I' am going for the unlocked bios from msi instead of asus though in conjuntion with the volt adjustments......I think thermal threshold may have a lot to do with what is or is not possible with these cards.

Got a Q for you Mr Sonda...Do you actually play any games? Any at all?

Yes I do. I also have fun tuning my system for performance and doing benchmarks. It's all related to me.

I had alot of fun with the HD5850. I was able to rank the #1 spot for top single GPU system over at Overclock.net with my DFI S775 DFI P45 JR machine. That was fun.

I'm still on the top spot but I think the list needs to be updated. Still impressive to see a S775 system with single HD5850 GPU out performing so many newer systems.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p8z070CFH3nqrHLNAe6VpRQ&w=100&h=615&gid=3&single=true

Yes I do. I also have fun tuning my system for performance and doing benchmarks. It's all related to me.

I had alot of fun with the HD5850. I was able to rank the #1 spot for top single GPU system over at Overclock.net with my DFI S775 DFI P45 JR machine. That was fun.

I'm still on the top spot but I think the list needs to be updated. Still impressive to see a S775 system with single HD5850 GPU out performing so many newer systems.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p8z070CFH3nqrHLNAe6VpRQ&w=100&h=615&gid=3&single=true
Please post screenshots of 5 different "games" that are not made by Futuremark. If they have an ingame benchmark, that's even better, and let's compare scores. If not, then shut the fuck up. A "game" constitutes, as quoted by Wikipedia
A video game is an electronic game that involves interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game

Here's some of mine
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034966218#post1034966218

Please post screenshots of 5 different "games" that are not made by Futuremark. If they have an ingame benchmark, that's even better, and let's compare scores. If not, then shut the fuck up. A "game" constitutes, as quoted by Wikipedia

I know what a "game" is. I also know what a benchmark is.

The HD5850 I had is gone and I have moved on to Xfire HD5700s. So I will not be able to participate in your invitation.

Sorry.

I know what a "game" is. I also know what a benchmark is.

The HD5850 I had is gone and I have moved on to Xfire HD5700s. So I will not be able to participate in your invitation.

Sorry.
Didn't you make a numerous posts stating that 2xHD5770 was faster than a single 5850? So numerous to the point that the Moderators temporarily banned you?As quoted by you http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034830930#post1034830930 It seems to me it's a pretty easy challenge for you. I got one gpu, you have two. You got a quad core cpu, I have a lowly dual core cpu. So what's the problem? It's easy...you're a pussy. Anyway, I'm going to bed, and I hope I wake up tommorrow seeing some screenies from you.

Last edited:
Didn't you make a numerous posts stating that 2xHD5770 was faster than a single 5850? So numerous to the point that the Moderators temporarily banned you? It seems to me it's a pretty easy challenge for you. I got one gpu, you have two. You got a quad core cpu, I have a lowly dual core cpu. So what's the problem? It's easy...you're a pussy. Anyway, I'm going to bed, and I hope I wake up tommorrow seeing some screenies from you.

You are confused. :confused:

Get some rest and don't expect any screen shots.

Back