64-bit problems. Any ideas?

CLock3

Gawd
I seem to be having a problem when trying to use a 64-bit OS. I found the problem back when Microsoft released the Beta of Windows 7 to the public, and I downloaded it and ran into a bunch of problems when installing.

What happened when I installed it, was that first off, it took forever to install. I'm talking multiple hours, when installation on a friend's laptop (using the same DVD) installed very quickly.

Once I finally got it installed the OS was unusable. Everything was extremely slow and unresponsive. Even the mouse pointer only moved every other second or so. I tried a bunch of stuff, reinstalled, same thing kept happening.

Next, I tried installing Vista 64-bit. Same exact thing occurred. After that happened, I went and installed the 32-bit of Windows 7, and it worked perfectly.

Does anyone know why this would be happening? The only thing that 64-bit is dependent on is the CPU, correct? Unfortunately, I don't have another CPU to try in my PC to troubleshoot. Basically, I'm just wondering if it's possible for a CPU to have some sort of problem where 32-bit would work fine, but 64-bit would have problems. Specs are in my signature.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

sounds like hardware failure, run memtest as a first thing. to me it mostly sounds like a bad hard drive. this same thing happend to my brother just a few weeks ago (with 64bit vista), we changed his drive with one i had sitting around and its been fine ever since.....now he owes me a 1tb harddrive.

Well before you replace dat bitch, you should diagnose dat bitch.

Try memtest and the diagnostics tools from the hard drive manufacturer.

Theres a possibility that the 64bit drivers for your mobo is a bit crappy.

Hmm, hard drive problem, eh? Well, I've been looking to get 2 1TB Spinpoint F1s soon anyways (one is for backup). I guess when I get those I'll give it a shot again and see if that helps. I had no idea a HDD could work fine under 32-bit OS, but have problems when using a 64-bit OS. I'm gonna give Ubuntu 64-bit a shot as well, see if the same thing happens. 32 bit version of it has always worked fine, but I haven't tried the 64-bit.

I'll have to run memtest and some HDD diagnostics as well, see what they come up with.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

Try out 32 bit and see what happens.
Already mentioned that I tried it and it works fine. I'm using 32-bit XP right now with no problems as well.

Alright, so I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, and it works perfectly. What would that narrow it down to?

Thanks again.

When I just upgraded my cpu/mobo/case the other day, I finally got rid of my floppy drive since I had not used it in years. Well the vista installer kept freezing for ~10m at a time, at first I thought it was crashing but it would start working again for a bit, then freeze for 10m again and repeat.
It ends up it was looking for a floppy drive, there was none but it was not set too Disable in the bios.
So I disabled it in the bios & all is well. Cool huh? It's a long shot but maybe thats your problem =)

I wish it was that simple, haha. I already have the floppy disabled.

Thanks anyways though.

All the default drivers on the windows 7 or Vista install disk should be sufficient for smooth operation on your rig on the initial install. You should then update your drivers afterwards, but still there should be no serious problems with a clean install with default drivers. I am assuming that its the Asus rig in your sig thats giving you the problems?

The best way to try and figure out what the problem may be would be to strip down your rig to the bare minimum amount of hardware with only 1 stick of ram before the initial install and see if that helps. Then add in the rest of your hardware one at a time till the problem emerges again. Try that and see how it goes.

Yeah, it's the one in my sig. I'll have to give that a shot sometime. Thanks for the suggestions.

Could be a faulty chipset on the MB. I've actually seen behavior like this on 32-bit XP before. Everything tested fine. Ended up replacing the motherboard and it worked perfectly.

Boot off the ubuntu 9.04 64 bit cd and run memtest86.

Then I would maybe try underclocking everything (cpu, ram, timings) and try the 64 bit install again.

If still nothing, I would RMA the mobo & cpu, maybe cpu first since its much easier to swap. You may have to embellish a little to whatever retailer you purchased, dont let them know you arent sure what the prob is ;)

If you have an irl friend with a similar system you can borrow some components to swap out to narrow it down!

Yeah, I'm gonna have to try running memtest, see if that comes up with anything.

As for RMAing the hardware, I'm not sure if that's possible. The mobo and CPU were originally in a PC I bought from Alienware a couple years ago, so I'm not sure how that would work, since I don't have any packaging or anything like that.

Out of curiosity, would it be worth it to invest in a new Socket 775 motherboard? If so, what would be a good one to pick up, if it turns out to be the motherboard at fault. What were the really popular ones, the Intel P45 chipset, right? Would the ASUS P5Q be a wise choice? There are a bunch of P5Q models, but this P5Q Turbo looks decent and isn't awfully pricey.

Last edited:
Back