with stock aluminum heatshink:
53c Idle
72c load

all running at stock speeds of 425/1100

pxc said:
6800GT @ 418/1100 w/VGA Silencer 5
18C over card ambient idle
22C over card ambient load
//card ambient rises while under load. lines 2,3 have different "card ambient" temperatures

absolute temperatures are meaningless (besides cases where it's way too hot) since case temperatures vary.

I tried this cooler on my BFG6800GTOC and it made no difference from the temperaures with the stock copper cooler that BFG uses at either stock or overclock speeds. And I have about 8 fans in my case to keep things as cool as possible.
BFG6800GTOC @ 400 / 1100
My card runs at around:
59 idle
69 full load

jgdiaz said:
I tried this cooler on my BFG6800GTOC and it made no difference from the temperaures with the stock copper cooler that BFG uses at either stock or overclock speeds. And I have about 8 fans in my case to keep things as cool as possible.
My card runs at around:
59 idle
65 full load

Same situation and temps here.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Same situation and temps here.

Yeah, and I am using a Thermaltake Xaser III case with average ambient temperature of 25c.
My CPU is always running at 34c idle and 40c load. But I know the GPU's run hotter than CPU's so I am not worried too much at all.

Addition: I just ran Return to Castle Wolfenstein in windowed mode for about 40 minutes while having the control panel open displaying the temperture of my 6800GT and it stayed at 69c GPU core and 42c ambient temperatures. This is using the NV5 Silencer that I lapped a bit to get rid of the rough finish on it, that is not too bad, at idle it hovers around 59c GPU and 34c ambient temperature. This about the same as with the stock copper cooler that BFG supplies with the card maybe 2 or 3c higher with the stock cooler.

Update: I just removed the NV5 Silencer as it performed worse than the custom BFG copper cooler and made sure I had sufficient (not too much!!!) of Arctic silver 5 grease and added a pci blower fan and a Vantec Tornado (noisy thing but help) in front of the card with the slot just under the video card with a slotted openings slot cover and the blower fan below it and these were my results, this was while playing for about 40 minutes nonstop.

With Vantec Tornado, blower slot fan and stock BFG copper heatsink.
BFG6800GTOC @ 400 / 1100
Idle = 56c
GPU Load Temps.
Doom3: Load = 74c
Return to Castle Wolfenstein Load = 66c
Quake2 Load = 63c

Before with NV5 Silencer Alone
Idle = 59c
GPU Load Temps.
Doom3 Load = 79
Return to Castle Wolfenstein Load = 69
Quake2 Load = 66

So with my new noisy setup all my temps dropped about 3 to 5c, which is not much but at least now I can feel the hot air from the video card being blown out of the back of my case.

A couple of you guys are posting temps are simply NOT right. I don't care if your case is 19C.....there's no way in hell that a PNY 6800GT with the stock cooler only goes up 6 or 7 degrees under full load. I can understand an idle of 59 with a lot of the hot running cards I've seen lately.....but traditional air cooling (stock cooler with decent case temps) isn't really capable of keeping the jump from idle to max load temps that small.

cornelious0_0 said:
A couple of you guys are posting temps are simply NOT right. I don't care if your case is 19C.....there's no way in hell that a PNY 6800GT with the stock cooler only goes up 6 or 7 degrees under full load. I can understand an idle of 59 with a lot of the hot running cards I've seen lately.....but traditional air cooling (stock cooler with decent case temps) isn't really capable of keeping the jump from idle to max load temps that small.

Agree. Many of them are probably going from a game to the nv control panel. The only true way to test is to run something in a window like rthdribl. The card cools down almost instantaneously after you exit a game, so it is a very unreliable number.

Bumrush said:
Agree. Many of them are probably going from a game to the nv control panel. The only true way to test is to run something in a window like rthdribl. The card cools down almost instantaneously after you exit a game, so it is a very unreliable number.

Yeah, its just that with case temperature of 24C and the NVSilencer installed on my 6800GT, with teh card clocked at even 400/1100 it still goes up from 49C to 67C.....and although it used to get up to 76C, that's still a fairly large temperature drop. After seeing results out of my own system I refuse to believe that they could be only seeing a rise of 7C with the stock cooler, and case temps that are on par with mine.

BFG 6800GT
425/1200
42C idle 58C load

Room temp is really low, that is the only reason this card oc's this well on stock cooling in my opionion.

Geno-san said:
BFG 6800GT
425/1200
42C idle 58C load

Room temp is really low, that is the only reason this card oc's this well on stock cooling in my opionion.

Still.....what is your room temp??? My room is 20C and at stock clock 350/1000 I idle at like 46C. This is also with 1.4v on the GPU though.....so I'm pretty sure that a 425MHz core at 1.3v might be capable of a 42C idle temp.......but it's still kinda hard to believe.....unless you've got a REALLY freaking cold room.

MSI NX6800GT stock speeds 350/1000

Idle 52-53 GPU core
Idle 36-37 Ambient

Load 74-75 GPU core
Load 49-50 Ambient

Measured according to CasleBravo's recommendations: with nVida control panel open and rthdribl 1.2 in a large (879x680) window getting 20-30 fps for 15 minutes

The MSI 6800GT has an adjustable fan--I've set mine to the fastest speed.

cornelious0_0 said:
there's no way in hell that a PNY 6800GT with the stock cooler only goes up 6 or 7 degrees under full load.
Damn straight. The stock heatsink for the 6800GT is tiny! It's all-aluminium and it's base measures something like 55mm x 66mm and the fins are only 9mm high. I'm amazed the GPU doesn't melt with that thing for a heatsink.I was getting 64/87*C idle/load with the stock cooler, stock speeds, a 30*C case/mobo and 26*C room temp. Even with some Arctic Silver and a chilly room I can't see the stock cooler managing 30*C less than my stock config if the load temp is accurate.

BFG 6800 GT
48 Degreees Load
410 Core / 1.03 Memory
Koolance Watercooling PC2-650B w/ Koolance GPU-180-L06

400/1.1 but i get REALY high temps idle is ~70c and load ~95c
and i stock i idle ~70c and load ~90c
this is a BFG GT any one know why i got soo high temps im even running with my case side off >.<

XFX 6800 GT
Idle Temps:
GPU core: 54C
Ambient: 39 C

I might post under load once I play a game for a few hours

PNY 6800GT Overclocked to 400/1.1
Computer At Rest
Core 54C
Ambient 37-38C
Top of card over the core 100F Taken with a Craftsman Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer

UT 2004 Deathmatch with 16 bots
Core 77C
Ambient 48C
Top of card over the core 110F

Doom 3
Core 80C
Ambient 50C
Top of card over the core 112F

2 80mm Case fans in the back directly over the card
1 80mm side case fan in the window
Stock cooling on the card

I posted before, but i just rewired my case. It was a huge mess before. I managed to get my temperatures to drop quite a bit for GPU, CPU and Case temps.

BFG 6800GT w/ BFG Custom Cooler
370/1000

Idle Temps:
GPU 60 C
Ambient 34 C
Load Temps:
GPU 70 C
Ambient 40 C

Front - 4 80mm Case fans
Side - 1 80mm Case fan
Back - Thermaltake blower.
Blowers can push a shitload of air but they get noisy as hell.

BFG GeForce 6800 GT - w/DangerDen waterblock
430 / 1150 oc'd
Idle: 43 C
Load: 43-50 C (depending on ambient)

:D

aphexddb said:
BFG GeForce 6800 GT - w/DangerDen waterblock
430 / 1150 oc'd
Idle: 43 C
Load: 43-50 C (depending on ambient)

:D

To say that your idle is 43 and that your load is 43-50 is kinda silly, but w/e.....nice stuff on that block, I'm lookin' forward to getting mine.....and being down to a <10C rise from idle to load.....and not a 17C rise like I've got now. :(

Leadtek 6800 GT

Idle: 49C GPU / 35C ambient (case @ 32C)
Under load with rthdribl: 64C GPU / 44C Ambient (case @ 37C)

Looks like I still have some airflow issues in my case....

Stormy said:
Leadtek 6800 GT

Idle: 49C GPU / 35C ambient (case @ 32C)
Under load with rthdribl: 64C GPU / 44C Ambient (case @ 37C)

Looks like I still have some airflow issues in my case....

It's pretty cool that you're pulling off temps like that with a case temperature of 37C....good God man!!! :eek: ;)

I'm kinda tempted to reflash my card to 1.3v and do some temperature testing with the NV5.....cus I've never bothered to try it, seeing as I switched over to 1.4v on the stock cooling and never looked back. I know that the voltage bumped up my temps a bit, but I think I might try it out tonight and see what my GT clocks/1.3v temps are.

Anyone been able to find any literature on the max temp for the NV40 core?
I have been looking around and not coming up with much.

Jaffrin said:
Anyone been able to find any literature on the max temp for the NV40 core?
I have been looking around and not coming up with much.

Why are you wondering? I HIGHLY doubt that anyone is gonna be running a GT at stock clocks and be having to worry about temps to THAT degree. Thermal throttling kicks in at different temps for a lot of ppl......but I've seen quite a few max load overclocked cores running at 95C just fine.

cornelious0_0 said:
It's pretty cool that you're pulling off temps like that with a case temperature of 37C....good God man!!! :eek: ;)

Heh. I've not really had a lot of temp. issues in this case before. Granted, it's never gotten down to room temp, but it's also never gotten very high. (Ancient Supermicro SC760)

Two upgrades (3000+ Barton in March, Leadtek 6800GT this month) this year and all of a sudden I'm getting thermal shutdowns. The Barton by itself wasn't all that bad. Upgraded a 92mm exhaust fan next to the CPU and cleaned up my cabling a good bit and she was back to the low 30s. Then I added the 6800. Lot of stale air down by the agp slot though so I had to break out the dremel and add a 92mm in the door before I could do any gaming. My wallet fears that since I've now cut steel on the old girl, I won't be satisfied until she is running at room temp, quieter than the wife's computer and looking much niftier. Tons of room and potential esp for a good sized water rig....First things first though...Gotta slice out some of the interior bracing where it is blocking airflow to the exhaust fans.

bfg 6800 gt oc

i havent used it yet though so i dont have temps or speeds. my new comp will be done in a week or two.

AMD64 3400+ stock heatsink/fan
PNY 6800 Ultra stock heatsink/fan

Temps taken from Asus PC Probe and RivaTuner 2.0 RC 15.1

Idle:
GPU core 57-58C ambient 41C
CPU 41C
MB 37C

Load: (Running RTHDRIBL 1.2 for 30+ mins, AA 8xS, AF 8x)
GPU core 77-78C ambient 57C (440/1150)
CPU 51C
MB 40C

That decent for stock coolers?

jthunt said:
AMD64 3400+ stock heatsink/fan
PNY 6800 Ultra stock heatsink/fan

Temps taken from Asus PC Probe and RivaTuner 2.0 RC 15.1

Idle:
GPU core 57-58C ambient 41C
CPU 41C
MB 37C

Load: (Running RTHDRIBL 1.2 for 30+ mins, AA 8xS, AF 8x)
GPU core 77-78C ambient 57C (440/1150)
CPU 51C
MB 40C

That decent for stock coolers?

Yeah, not bad.....I was seeing as 20C or so rise in my temps like that with the stock aluminum cooler, and now it's down by about 7-10C or so. As for the AMD temps, it's tough to say.....no motherboard sensor will ever really be as accurate as a manually placed probe underneath the CPU.....but a 10C rise is still a 10C rise.....regardless of what the temperature actually IS.

cornelious0_0 said:
Yeah, not bad.....I was seeing as 20C or so rise in my temps like that with the stock aluminum cooler, and now it's down by about 7-10C or so. As for the AMD temps, it's tough to say.....no motherboard sensor will ever really be as accurate as a manually placed probe underneath the CPU.....but a 10C rise is still a 10C rise.....regardless of what the temperature actually IS.

Thanks cornelious... one more quick guestion for you guys. Those temps should be safe to play at, right? I see everyone else here with much lower temps. Should I be investing in a better cooling solution?

jthunt said:
Thanks cornelious... one more quick guestion for you guys. Those temps should be safe to play at, right? I see everyone else here with much lower temps. Should I be investing in a better cooling solution?

If by "play" you mean game then yes.....you're in excellent shape. Of course the temps could be lower with nicer cooling.....but what you've got isn't anything to be ashamed of. However, if by "play" you meant overclock.....I'd pay extra close attention to the CPU as you scale higher and higher.....as (for the most part) A64's do run hotter then "C" series P4's......and that's the temp that's gonna become more of a stability factor to begin with.

BFG 6800 GT OC (w/ "BFG's" heatsink + fans)

GPU Core Temperature: 57 C

Ambient Temperature: 39 C

diablo111 said:
eVGA 6800
o/c to 375/830 (325/700 stock)
50C idle Ambient 35C

Using the rthdribl method, I get:

65C load ambient 40C

Which is interesting...the temps stay exactly 15C apart.

It does seem that while some ppl's room/ambient temps are farther apart.....the delta between idle - load seems to remain fairly consistent. It is indeed interesting.

The only way I could get my temps to drop by 15c was to take my NV5 silencer that I had put away in my closet and I cut out the fan it comes with completely and replaced it with a Sanyo Denki 80mm high speed fan that pushes about 80 cubic feet of air flow a minute. This took me about 30 minutes with my dremel to modify the NV5 and also had to cut the small black heatsink for the mosfets on the 6800GT as well (the damm heatsink was not even touching the mosfets) I made sure it did sfter my mod. I now can play Doom3 for as long as I want and I cannot get the load temp to go higher than 65c, before I saw it got up to 80c after 30 minutes playing Doom3. The Sanyo Denki FAn pushes a hell of a lot of air out of my case through the NV5 heatsink keeping the 6800GT nice and cool!!!!!.

BFG6800GTOC at 425 / 1115 with NV5 Silencer modified with 80mm
Sanyo Denki Fan.
Idle Temp - 54c GPU, 34c ambient
Load Temp - 65c GPU, 45c ambient

Before the Mod on the NV5
Idle Temp - 61c GPU, 41c ambient
Load Temp - 80c GPU, 60c ambient

:D :D

BFG6800 GT OC

stock speeds (350, 1.0)
52C GPU
36C ambient

I just got it today, so I havent overclocked it yet, wanna let it sit for about a week? If I do detect optimal frequencies it slides over to 399mhz and 1.05. Will this improve if I try again after "burn in". Is burn in even necessary? Maybe this is the best my card will get. Ive heard of people getting 428/1128 frequencies, but mine won't go that high safely at this point.

Also whats the difference on the settings between standard 2d and performance 3d

jgdiaz said:
The only way I could get my temps to drop by 15c was to take my NV5 silencer that I had put away in my closet and I cut out the fan it comes with completely and replaced it with a Sanyo Denki 80mm high speed fan that pushes about 80 cubic feet of air flow a minute. This took me about 30 minutes with my dremel to modify the NV5 and also had to cut the small black heatsink for the mosfets on the 6800GT as well (the damm heatsink was not even touching the mosfets) I made sure it did sfter my mod. I now can play Doom3 for as long as I want and I cannot get the load temp to go higher than 65c, before I saw it got up to 80c after 30 minutes playing Doom3. The Sanyo Denki FAn pushes a hell of a lot of air out of my case through the NV5 heatsink keeping the 6800GT nice and cool!!!!!.

BFG6800GTOC at 425 / 1115 with NV5 Silencer modified with 80mm
Sanyo Denki Fan.
Idle Temp - 54c GPU, 34c ambient
Load Temp - 65c GPU, 45c ambient

Before the Mod on the NV5
Idle Temp - 61c GPU, 41c ambient
Load Temp - 80c GPU, 60c ambient

:D :D

After adding a fan like that you MIGHT want to look at modding the exhuast port on the NV5 to enlarge it and allow more room for the air to be "shot" out the back of your case....because even with the stock Silencer fan there's a noticable amount of backpreasure, and air that you can actually feel blowing out from underneath the fan, where it SHOULD only be going in.

That new fan of yours is most likely pushin' enough air that you'd have a harder time noticing any backpreasure and misguided airflow from the inside of your case, but you'd still notice another drop in temps and more air being exhausted out the back of your case if you modded the cooler further and allowed more space on the end.

Gainward 6800GT GS GLH @430/1200

Idle
ambient : 41°C
GPU : 58°C

load
ambient : 60°C
GPU : 80°C

Im waiting for my NV5 though, the stock silencer is very loud.

Back