6800Ultra and Heat!!!

Christ, that's 197.6F. If the BFG runs that hot, I doubt I'll keep it because that's just way too much heat.

Please, BFG, COOL YOUR CARDS GOOD! lol

jesus, after reading this i'm seriously considering just canceling my order and waiting till further testing is done with these cards. I want the dual dvi + gaming godliness badly, but those temps are insane

The biggest concern i have is that the heatsink is NOT hot when this is going on. Maybe the design PNY is using doesn't make good enough contact with the core. The backplate on the card does get roasty though. I am gonna try sticking my tornado by it to see if that helps at all.

I used to have a PNY Geforce FX 5600 256MB and it would Lockup/Crash/Freeze on me and then the monitor goes black. Its overheating and I RMAed mine got it back and still did the same thing to me. Thats why I got ATi stuff and It works just fine.

|-Goku-|

I suggest using this card to cook food. No reason to waste more electric with the microwave.

What shocks me about that picture is not so much that it is at 92 celsius, but that it only shows one red bar and three greyed out bars meaning that it can probably get even hotter...

Why not press Alt-enter and get it into fullscreen at 1024x768 or higher and really burn that baby up. Alt-enter to get back to the desktop.

Boiling temperature is good, Not.

I am sorry but a card of this cost should not require "creativity" to run properly. I would tell PNY to take the card back.

I would tell them to take it back...but, they still haven't charged me for the card yet. :D I have been with this card for a few good days now, and haven't seen any transactions. I can only hope they "forget" to charge me

damn, 92C? im suprised it hasnt fried!
i wonder how how the X800's get...

See, I told ya didn't I :) . Anyway 92c is too high there Dude. My PNY gets 72c after 15min running this utility. If I open my case it goes even higher, indicating I have proper case cooling. The key here is move air across your case and then out. I use an Antec full tower with 4 fans (2 in and 2 out). I suspect Nvidia has the sensor imbedded in there deep because the back of my 6800 Ultra is hardly warm. Another thing you need to remember, Nvidia put a lot more transisters in there this time. I say 75c or below under full load, and your good.

StArWaRrIoR said:
Christ, that's 197.6F.

:eek:

Nothing running at 197 F is welcome in my case....

Thank you, drive through.......

That's simply craziness. Hope this due to simply bad fan placement or lack there off...

well, fromt he sounds of it, your TIM may be crap. However the other possibility is that your case is just not moving air properly.

Have you baselined the case without the card in it? What internal temps does it manage over ambient with your old card in there (assuming it isn't an all new system)?

The card actually pumps hot air back into the case. I had my intake fan fighting this accidentally. I switched it around and my temps went UP a bit. I have maxed out at 95C. So now, i tried laying my computer on its side with an 80mm fan blowing into the intake on the vid card. Still not any better. The card does pump hot air out, but it doesn't feel any where near as hot as it claims. I am running out of ideas, short of changing out the thermal paste to see if that helps at all. It is overclocked a little. the core is 420 and the ram is 1.25ghz.

Well, overclocking or normal speeds makes no difference in the heat. It is the same regardless of clock speed, also, i noticed no performance increases from overclocking...maybe a defective card? BFG guy, i would like your opinion of this situation. Please help me with any info you can give me.

If you consider it I'll give you a little info. I had my PNY Ti4400 go out and it took PNY about 3 weeks to get me the replacement. So if you plan on doing that, then make sure you have a back up video card. I learned one thing from PNY, I won't buy their crap again. My Ti4400 went out and with their "Lifetime Warranty" I assumed it was going to be okay. They sent me the replacement, a damn 5600 Ultra. At first I was excited, I figured I sent them a DX8 card and got a DX9 instead. Well then I started running benchmarks and games. It was extremely clear that I got the royal shaft. So I sold that piece on Ebay and picked up a 9800 Pro. The moral of the story here is if it does go out and they do replace it you might get something better or worse.

Well, now i am even more confused. I touched the heatsink on my overclocked athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.2ghz and it is at 43C under load. It felt quite warm to the touch. Now, i touched the backplate of the 6800U and it was quite cool to the touch, even though it is supposedly running at 60C idle. I think this heatsink isn't seated properly or it is a crapped out card.

I think you shpuld send the card to me to test out in my system since im sick of waiting for my 800XT

could be a defective thermometer? these things happen... my mobo can't measure voltage properly.

Remember folks, these 6800 Ultra's are REFERENCE design right now, meaning PNY, BFG, etc. are simply getting the card directly from Nvidia, and then putting their stickers on them, nothing more. If your card is running 92c with good air flow, it can only mean a few things.
1. The heat sink has not been properly installed (loose, no compound, etc)
2. The sensor is defective and reporting the wrong temp.

Yes, in my opinion PNY is not the best folks to deal with if you need to RMA, but at this point they didn't build it so don't blame them (except for not testing it before it was shipped). Also remember the demand for these cards is very high, therefore production pressures are huge right now, so mistakes are made. I'd say, take the cooling stuff off (carefully), if it all checks out, RMA that baby, and get a new one.

My PNY ultra checks out with the exact same temps most other folks are getting with other brands of ultra's, so a reading of 67-75c is normal, with a normal (non-extream cooling case). My 5900 Ultra checks in with 64c in the same case (using the tool-test) with a lot less GPU transisters, so I believe 67-72c is a good reading, and nothing to worry about.

quite a bit hotter than my x800 pro too
but why so slow?

temps.jpg

I am one really pissed off Botreaper right now. I did as you all suggested and took off the pny heatsink cover. I instantly found the problem. I need a frickin RMA since they forgot to install one of the stupid gpu heatsink screws. I can see a 1-2mm gap between the heatsink and the core. I am MAD AS HELL RIGHT NOW.

botreaper10 said:
I am one really pissed off Botreaper right now. I did as you all suggested and took off the pny heatsink cover. I instantly found the problem. I need a frickin RMA since they forgot to install one of the stupid gpu heatsink screws. I can see a 1-2mm gap between the heatsink and the core. I am MAD AS HELL RIGHT NOW.

Which would definitely explain why the gpu is so hot and the heatsink is cool. :eek: I hope this isn't the norm with these cards. If it is, then I wonder if the BFG will suffer the same issue?

BFG Dude!!! What are your thoughts? also if Kyle sees this, did you notice extreme temps like this when writing any of the reviews involving the 6800Ultra? I'm concerned since the BFG card runs 25mhz faster than the reference design, which means even more heat.

I truly want to stick with the BFG, but unless these heat issues are resolved, I will have no option other than to go with the X800XTPE.

botreaper10 said:

might as well take it off and redo it with AS5 then retest...

never trust the monkey in china making it for 50 cents a day.

Here is what my MSI X800 Pro does @ 63c after 30 minutes. Funny thing is it took about 1 minute for it to go back to 48c after the app was shut down. Nice cooling!

HDR_IBL.JPG

92 celsius would totally be possible, even with the quite large heatsink and fan. It afterall does have 222 million transistors, compared to the 5950 which has only 130 million, based ont the same manufacturing process and was already quite hot to start with.

The estimated power draw before effiency calculations given by Nvidia is 110 watts for the 6800ultra, compared to the approximate 93.5 that the 5950 consumes (If you want to believe Tom) Personally I think its a lot more than 110, because they measured in a DX8 environment. Running something like DX9 rthdribl will fully turn on nearly all the features of the chip incluing the floating point unit which would otherwise be dormant in fixed function DX7/8 games.

Same thing with CPU's, it runs a heck of a lot hotter if you run both the integer and floating point units, instead of just the integer. The 6800 has a lot more diespace designated for DX9 compared to the 5950.

But if its missing a screw, that is just bad quality control.

Yeah Zen, I agree. I just checked mine again, all screws are tight, and now I do notice a lot of heat coming off the heat sink fins (a good thing), so I guess everyone needs to look for 67-74c with this utility running. I have noticed with other 3D applications the heat is not as high, thats why I thought it was a good one to run.

Good to hear you found out what the problem was.

I'm spoiled in cooling things here, the ambient room temperature is always around 18 celsius (heating the house to that temperature 9 months out of the year, lol) Others on the board live in like Texas where the ambient air can get up to 30 to 35 celsius, and I can only imagine what sort of cooling is required.

Keep it under 75 celsius is my motto...

Bahah thats freakin' hilarious, you're using a craptastic 15" CRT with that system, now I feel better with this oldass 17" on my craptastic system...

Seriously go buy a refurbed sony GDM or something for a couple hundred buxx if you can drop $500 large on the videocard alone...

Warriorprophet said:
Bahah thats freakin' hilarious, you're using a craptastic 15" CRT with that system, now I feel better with this oldass 17" on my craptastic system...

Seriously go buy a refurbed sony GDM or something for a couple hundred buxx if you can drop $500 large on the videocard alone...

And pray tell when did this become a 'give the guy with the way better card than yours' advice thread?

AcneBrain---> in his sig "PLEASE SEND ME A NEW RADEON X800 OR GEFORCE 6800 VIDEO CARD ASAP, OR I WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND STEAL YOUR DOG. THANK YOU."

I'm on the floor crying laughing! LOL!

StArWaRrIoR said:
Which would definitely explain why the gpu is so hot and the heatsink is cool. :eek: I hope this isn't the norm with these cards. If it is, then I wonder if the BFG will suffer the same issue?

BFG Dude!!! What are your thoughts? also if Kyle sees this, did you notice extreme temps like this when writing any of the reviews involving the 6800Ultra? I'm concerned since the BFG card runs 25mhz faster than the reference design, which means even more heat.

I truly want to stick with the BFG, but unless these heat issues are resolved, I will have no option other than to go with the X800XTPE.

scott122 is right, NVIDIA is producing the first allotment of 6800 Ultra cards. However, the assumption that we are only placing stickers on the cards is not the case with BFG. BFG is removing the NVIDIA reference fan and placing Artic Silver Thermal Grease between the fan and the GPU chip, which will aid significantly in cooling. We then bump each clock to 425MHz and double check each connection point of the fan to memory chips/GPU. All this comes with a True Lifetime Warranty.

It sounds as though the original thread poster found a screw missing on his fan which created a gap between the fan and the chip/memory. This will definitely cause heat issues, especially if overclocked! Please contact PNY and explain to them your issues and what you have found. I'm sorry to hear about that :(

I'll spend some time today in the lab and review some testing and fan performance.

Thanks,
Scott Herkelman
EVP Marketing

[BFG] AirWalker

rthdribl uses an older, lower quality, lower precision "trick" method for HDR lighting (RGBE8). The 6800 uses a newer, higher quality, higher precision method for "true" HDR lighting that uses fp blending (like OpenEXR). Nvidia's method is more efficient when implemented, but as a result it is not optimized for the older, low quality method. Therefore rthdribl will run slower on the 6800, but new games which support the newer HDR method will run as fast as or faster than the x800 and look better too.

It's another case of the 6800 being more equipped for the future and for the format future games will likely use. For instance, the 1.3 patch of FarCry (not the next patch, the one after it) will apparently enable HDR both with the older and newer methods, so ATI owners will get the lower quality method while Nvidia owners will get the higher quality method at the same speed or faster.

Vagrant Zero said:
And pray tell when did this become a 'give the guy with the way better card than yours' advice thread?

Lighten up, I don't think he meant the guy no harm.

tranCendenZ said:
rthdribl uses an older, lower quality, lower precision "trick" method for HDR lighting (RGBE8). The 6800 uses a newer, higher quality, higher precision method for "true" HDR lighting that uses fp blending (like OpenEXR). Nvidia's method is more efficient when implemented, but as a result it is not optimized for the older, low quality method. Therefore rthdribl will run slower on the 6800, but new games which support the newer HDR method will run as fast as or faster than the x800 and look better too. It's another case of the 6800 being more equipped for the future.

FUD, prove that it will look better than the x800. What are you basing this on?

Back