8800GTX Electronic Buzzing Noise

Check this thread I started out at OCForums, read the 2 posts by Rainless
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=496431

He said he found a post contributing the noise to the older cards - which was supposedly fixed.

Now, I don't know if your retailer that you exchanged with 4 times is large or not, but if they aren't maybe you got all 4 cards from their original shipment batches?

But then that doesn't explain why my new card from NewEgg is buzzing (although its not that new, got it around 1/6/07)

Check this thread I started out at OCForums, read the 2 posts by Rainless
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=496431

He said he found a post contributing the noise to the older cards - which was supposedly fixed.

Now, I don't know if your retailer that you exchanged with 4 times is large or not, but if they aren't maybe you got all 4 cards from their original shipment batches?

But then that doesn't explain why my new card from NewEgg is buzzing (although its not that new, got it around 1/6/07)

I just purchased and tested 2 New Evga 8800GTX ACS3 KO witht eh revised green pcb. and they both buzz in 3d apps (and im sure these are news as they get)

Well, I removed the 8800GTX from my board and I heard a very inaudible buzzing. However, upon OCing of the chip or starting any process intensive app (including 3d games) the buzzing returned.

So, I think I've concluded that it may be our mobos.

I just got a new ASUS Commando - it is buzzing and according to others on xtremesystems.org the mobo buzzes.

When I had my first 8800GTX it was on an ASUS Striker Extreme - there was no buzzing.

I'll try swapping my PSU later tonight.

Well, heres something for you to handle antioch.

I have the asus striker extreme currently on a asus 8800gtx, purchased last week.

The buzzing is all there, and since for some reason lately I havent listened to music my speakers and everything has been off and Im hearing the 8800gtx buzzing sound very clearly.

The sound is very audible in 3dgames, especially oblivion, but also in Eve for example.

Atitool makes the volume of noise as in oblivion (since I guess these stress the gpu a lot). Oh and by the way, as someone else mentioned here this is VERY audible in the menu screens of oblivion (clicking tab for example) where the frame rates hits 1k+.
Basically what I have concluded is, as most people who has the problem has, that the more gpu load the more it sounds.

Though, just browsing on websites, clicking backward/forward on the mouse for example makes the noise click, like changing volume or frequency.

This just cant be the PSU (I have an antec NeoHE 550w which is good enough for 1 8800gtx), Ive put my ear to the PSU - it just simply isnt coming from the psu. Its coming from the back part of the gfx card, near where you put in the Pci-e connectors.

Hopefully nvidia will come out with some sort of press release of this troubles, it seems a lot of people getting these cards around late december and early january has had the same troubles. Im guessing the very first cards didnt have these troubles which probably may be an answer to why the manufacturers havent heard about it yet.

Orthos does it for me.

Mine also doesn't sound as bizarre as the mp3 - and when I took the 8800gtx out and used a Radeon 7000 I still have the noise on process intensive programs and games.

Orthos does it for me.

Mine also doesn't sound as bizarre as the mp3 - and when I took the 8800gtx out and used a Radeon 7000 I still have the noise on process intensive programs and games.

Well, Im not saying that orthos or your motherboard isnt making the noise. Im saying that several people seems to have several things buzzing. The PSU, mobo or the GFX. And for some people it actually is the GFX even though the gfx is well powered, and it seems to be for the people purchasing the 8800gtx late december and early january.

So I stand still with a very severe buzz sound that is killing me!

Im waiting for asus technical inquiry to answer my mail I sent about this problem.

Yes, I agree - whatever is doing the buzzing it's very annoying. I just hope that once I replace my motherboard I don't find myself with buzzing from the 8800GTX.

*crosses fingers*

Good luck to us all - and shame on nVidia for releasing such a shoddy piece of equipemtn at such a high price.

Okay, I got an answer from Asus technical inquiery. Nothing they ever heard of ofcourse.

Dear Valued Customer

Please contact your dealer if they can maybe have a look at it? THe way you sescribe we have not heard about it before

Best Regards
Michael Girgis
Asus Nordic TSD Support

I've encountered also this strange buzzing, BUT I don't have a GeForce 8800...but a Geforce 7900GTO from MSI. First I suspected the PSU to be the source of the buzzing but it seems like the PSU is only buzzing when the GeForce gives that sound. Besides that I tested 3 differen PSUs (Corsair, Seasonic and TAGAN) and in all cases the buzzing was present.

btw, mine sounds like this: http://flintz.no-ip.org/netzteil.mp3

Oblivion is perfect for measuring the buzzing. Vsync suppresses the problem but doesn't solve it.

I have a ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium and a Corsair HX520W currently.

I've encountered also this strange buzzing, BUT I don't have a GeForce 8800...but a Geforce 7900GTO from MSI. First I suspected the PSU to be the source of the buzzing but it seems like the PSU is only buzzing when the GeForce gives that sound. Besides that I tested 3 differen PSUs (Corsair, Seasonic and TAGAN) and in all cases the buzzing was present.

btw, mine sounds like this: http://flintz.no-ip.org/netzteil.mp3

Oblivion is perfect for measuring the buzzing. Vsync suppresses the problem but doesn't solve it.

I have a ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium and a Corsair HX520W currently.

its quite true that vsync supresses the problem, but thats like putting a speedlimit of 50km/h on a ferrari if you know what I mean. and yeh, that mp3.. same noise as mine, exactly actually. How long have you had your gfx and it doing that?

Id sugges you get it RMA:d if your bothered by the sound.

Edit: recorded a file with the buzzing, http://www.bullettimes.com/noise.mp3

First 5 seconds, idle, then show "3d view" on ati tool (when the buzz comes), at 20seconds I shutdown atitool = no buzzing

its quite true that vsync supresses the problem, but thats like putting a speedlimit of 50km/h on a ferrari if you know what I mean. and yeh, that mp3.. same noise as mine, exactly actually. How long have you had your gfx and it doing that?

Id sugges you get it RMA:d if your bothered by the sound.

Edit: recorded a file with the buzzing, http://www.bullettimes.com/noise.mp3

First 5 seconds, idle, then show "3d view" on ati tool (when the buzz comes), at 20seconds I shutdown atitool = no buzzing

Wow, yours is even more present than mine I would say. Well I bought that card approx. 2 months ago and until now I didn't notice the sound, only after I switched the PSU some days ago.
Hmm...yes, I will think about RMA...will be without a working pc for a few days though :-(

Wow, yours is even more present than mine I would say. Well I bought that card approx. 2 months ago and until now I didn't notice the sound, only after I switched the PSU some days ago.
Hmm...yes, I will think about RMA...will be without a working pc for a few days though :-(

do you mean you noticed it only when you changed the psu because your new psu was more quiet?

Im actually thinking this buzzing sound may exist on every card, but for some cards its just drastically higher. Anyways, I cant stand the noise it kinda diggs into my brain, even when only browsing (since the noise keeps changing frequency / or volume)

do you mean you noticed it only when you changed the psu because your new psu was more quiet?

Im actually thinking this buzzing sound may exist on every card, but for some cards its just drastically higher. Anyways, I cant stand the noise it kinda diggs into my brain, even when only browsing (since the noise keeps changing frequency / or volume)

I am not quite sure, the new PSU is a little bit more silent than the old, but not much.
I first suspected the new PSU to be the source of the sound but as I said I tested 3 PSUs and had always the same sound. Probably the sound is also emitted by the PSU, I could imagine that the sound is primarily coming from the GeForce power system and somehow creates fluctuations in the power rails which then brings the PSU also to buzz, but thats just some wild guess.

I don't have the buzz when surfing, only when running 3d applications/games.

Just was in contact with asus over the telephone. And according to the swedish technical support they said this is an "ancient problem with graphic cards".

That roughly all the graphic cards have this noise coming from the capacitors (kondensator as he called them in swedish).
Anyways, he offered me DOA on the card to get it swapped directly, but after noticing it had gone 11days instead of the 7days allowed on DOA he told me he couldnt do anything for me and suggested I go back to my retailer to get a new one.

He said that once in a while some cards may do this sound higher than others and that its just to get used to it or get it replaced if it bothers one that much.

Now lets see how this online retailer of mine will handle the process.

Regards,

Barhom

Mine is doing the same thing. Doesn't really bother me though as long as the performance is there.

perhaps, but I wouldnt want to void the warranty by fixing it myself.

Does opening the case void the warranty like the one in that picture?

This may not be relevant as you have probably taken to time to check if all is secure, but I had that problem when I first installed my GTX. When I hit the power button it sounded like small alarm went off in the computer. Turns out one of the 2 PCIe connectors was not secure in its place (half in). Got video but alarm bells ringing too. Tucked in the second connector and all was well. Good luck

I've got the same high pitched dquealing in 3d apps. It is absolutely driving me insane. Fucking GTX8800!

I get the exact same sound...

My specs:

E6300
Asus Extreme Striker
Team Xreem 2x1gb PC2-6400 Ram
OCZ 700w Power Supply
evga 8800GTX

I have, replaced my motherboard twice, changed the memory (Had Dominator Ram before), Changed the power supply, 3 times, went through Silverstone, Seasonic, and I have replaced the videocard once already.

I get the sound during the loading times in 3Dmark06, FEAR menus, running rthdribl.exe, and ati tools.

I can get rid of the sound be enabling vsync, but that horribly slows down my performance.

I went back to work today, and replaced my evga 8800GTX for the Asus 8800GTX and it still happened.

I also popped in a 7950GT that we had and the sound went away completely.

So, it seems to be a defect with the 8800GTX cards.

All we can really do is contact the videocard manufacture and wait for a reply. :(

I rma'd the card and was flatly told that the high pitch noise was considered normal operation! Now that I have oblivion installed its really aonnying going to menu's etc. Im so paranoid now that when I play Guildwars and walk around the Maguuma Jungle I keep thinking the ambient game sfx is actually my vid card taking a high pitch dump on my again . Thumbs down, im def going to the r600 if that 80nm shrink means no more noise.

Its not capacitors. Its a power converter. its either a bad FET (rare) or more likely one of the mini-transformers on the card. Show me a picture... Your looking for the power section of the card (the front, right?).... look for little black circles with hollows that have yellow inside (transformers that are tiny), or inductors, or flat out transformers mounted to the card. They vibrate very minutely, but under normal electronics design it probably shouldn't be loud enough to hear over your fans. I'd imagine design for cards such as those is highly irregular simply because they don't have the space to "do it right". Your going to have to live with it, or look for cards that are huge and have bigger power sections.

you can test this by touching various components of the card while its buzzing. put on latex gloves or something, but im serious, its absolutely the best way to diagnose what part it is.

I tried applying pressure to everything near the 2 pcie connectors, can't really notice any difference in noise. I saw a pic on eVGA forums which puts the noise on the chips under the HSF , however I can't see how u take of the HSF without removing the sticker on the black plastic cover!? (ie voiding warranty)

I noticed recently the noise is louder when rendering bright/white colors + the usual high fps scences :confused:

Anyone with a silent water cooled getup willing to play around the chips under the HSF?

Im having this very problem, seems to be very common. Right now I have about 10 tabs opeb with different forum threads on the subject.

The noise is a crackling like buzz and it's comming from near the power connectors on the card when it under load. I have just replaced the power supply.

I have an E4300
Artic 7 HSF
Asus P5N-E
2GB Ram
2 Case fans
2 Optical drives
2 Hard drives
Audigy ZS2
Seasonic 600W PSU

Has anyone found or heard a resolution on this? I get the sound from my EVGA 8800 GTS all the time now. It sounds like a wire is in the way of the fan on the 8800 GTS, but there is not any wires close to the fan. It is very annoying...

I bought a EVGA 8800GTS, no problem, no high pitched whine.

We sold one to a customer, same EVGA, horrible, horrible whiney pitch. They're older so I guess they don't notice it, but it's damn annoying.

I'm having a similar issue; not sure if its exactly the same.
I purchased the EVGA 8800GTX Superclocked. When under load (playing WoW, Farcry, etc) there is a rhythmic "hum", and if I touch my computer case I can feel the vibration. I was going to re-open the case but I know I firmly secured the card in it's slot.

Again its not constant... it happens for like 1-2 seconds every 8 seconds or so.

I know exactly what you're talkin about. I have an ATi X850 pro flashed to xt pe and the same noise emits from a component on the board. The board is in place and everything, but when I turn on ati tool or a really stressful program, I hear it when I have my fans on low. It like a high pitched squeal. Funny that both ati and nvidia have this issue.

I have a EVGA 680i Mobo, an OCZ 850w PSU. I bought a EVGA 8800GTX last week and everything works great, games are fantastic but there's one thing that's really bothering me, the card buzzes, it's not a fan noise, it's coming from one of the components on the card itself. In ATITool it makes a high pitched squeeling noise, in Oblivion it makes a raspy buzzing noise and this noise fluctuates depending on the load. It also only happens when there's a 3D application loaded.

So I took the card back to www.memoryexpress.com here in Calgary and got it replaced for a new EVGA, I tried that out and got the same whining noise, took it back and got another EVGA and found the same thing so I returned it and got an Asus 8800GTX, I thought that switching to a different brand would help out but this card is STILL making that buzzing noise. It's driving the hell out of me, my PC is really quiet so this whining noise is very noticable.

I searched on the EVGA forums and came across these links which describe EXACTLY what I'm experiencing,

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21294

and

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22445&SearchTerms=buzzing

This is the 4th 8800GTX that I'm trying out now, this is simply ludicrous that I'm experiencing it with no solution in sight.
To verify that the noise was indeed coming from my 8800GTX I popped it into a different computer that has never exhibited any trouble and low and behold there was the high pitched whining noise so I've boiled it down to my PC not being at fault.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? I kind of feel stupid taking the card back to the retailer for the 4th time to get a new one. But I can't accept a $750 that makes a highly audible and annoying buzzing noise when I'm playing games.

Has anyone ever experienced this/is experiencing it? I would really appreciate some help.

Yes I can confirm this on my EVGA 8800GTX. 2 Different Motherboards, it emits a high pitched squeal under load.

Its not capacitors. Its a power converter. its either a bad FET (rare) or more likely one of the mini-transformers on the card. Show me a picture... Your looking for the power section of the card (the front, right?).... look for little black circles with hollows that have yellow inside (transformers that are tiny), or inductors, or flat out transformers mounted to the card. They vibrate very minutely, but under normal electronics design it probably shouldn't be loud enough to hear over your fans. I'd imagine design for cards such as those is highly irregular simply because they don't have the space to "do it right". Your going to have to live with it, or look for cards that are huge and have bigger power sections.

you can test this by touching various components of the card while its buzzing. put on latex gloves or something, but im serious, its absolutely the best way to diagnose what part it is.

Meth, the 8800GTX does use FETs. 12 of them to be exact.

i suspect it may be coming from the speaker

i get this too.

Not as loud as some of you make out to be though.

I just returned an EVGA 8800 GTX with the buzzing. It had a green circuit board. My new one has a black circuit board. Oddly enough, the BIOS version sticker on the back of each show different numbers.

Well, I still get the buzz. Maybe the 8900 will come out and I can step-up to it and it won't have the buzzing... maybe. Its sorta annoying. Lucky for me, I use over-the-ear headphones when I game and they block out 99.9% of the buzzing even when the game is silent.

From a positive angle, the buzzing adds a -cool- sound effect to resizing my windows. ;)

BUT CRAP! I paid $600 for this card. It should NOT buzz. Nvidia is lucky that this card completely rocks in performance... I'd return it for an ATI in a blink. But alas...

Wow im surprised all you guys with 8800s have this issue. My 7800GS makes a faint buzzing sound when starting some 3d applications and even makes the sound when i adjust the clock settings at all.

At first i thought i was on drugs or something until i opened my case and stuck my ear right next to it and confirmed it was my card.

Works 100% perfect other than that so no need to RMA.

There is a piezo buzzer on nvidia cards, it is an "insufficient power" buzzer/alarm.

For some, replacing the PSU fixes it. For others it seems the alarm might be going off when there isn't really a power problem. The alarm seems a bit too sensitive.

This is the kind of thing that an upgraded bios on the video card might fix. Best bet is try a better PSU, perhaps one on the SLI approved list (swap with a friend if you can before actually buying), if that doesn't help call your video card manufacturer. They may have an updated bios to try (BFG is good about this) and if not they can issue an RMA.

Back