8800GTX Electronic Buzzing Noise

Goodboy,
You may have a point about the PSU. However, I just installed a brand new 750w Silverstone DA750... so I wouldn't think it would be the PSU. But, there are a bunch of people with "whining" sounds in their DA750 when playing 3D games so I'm VERY confused. http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744

I keep saying I need to swap in my old PSU to ensure it is the video card...

ANy resolution to this chain of events yet Solar? I bought a BFG 8800 GTX and its whining, sigh. Thought the problem woulda been fixed by now. Any advice you can pass on?

If someone hadn't pointed this out i would have never noticed, and this was with my case's side panel off. As a comparison, my old 1900xtx electrical noise seemed much worse.

I got a MSI 8800GTX OC a few days ago. It happens to me once too. I got a very high pitch buzz sound from the computer during midnight. I turned the computer off. I turned it on the next day, and everything works fine. No more buzz. I don't know what happen though.

I used to have this issue with my Asus FX5950Ultra, it was actually a 5900 Ultra which was BIOS flashed and then further overclocked, at very high speeds it would make a noise which I narrowed down by removing parts from the PC turned out to be the PSU which I replaced but the new one did it.

It went away with a new video card, the noise didn't appear in 2d mode but it did make a noise when I scrolled in internet explorer, I did notice that turning off smooth scrolling in the advanced IE options stopped this noise occuring when scrolling.

Never did work out what it was, I assumed the strain on the PSU was too much since the card was so heavily overclocked.

One time I forget to plug in the pci power supply to the card, it buzz loudly when I turn on the computer. Maybe if your PSU has not enough power, it will buzz the same to warm you.

Just a couple of thoughts I had reading this thread,

Any chance it's the monitor? Not the monitor making the nose itself of course, but something about the way the driver circuitry in the monitor connects via the DVI to the card, pushing something out of tolerance when the card's under strain and having a knock on effect on the power circuitry, for example, I've read somewhere that a lot of tft panels only operate at 60hz and convert incoming signals at higher rates down to 60, something like could perhaps introduce some sort of feedback.

Another thought was it could indeed be power related, but mains power that's the problem, if the supply at the wall is crappy that could be translating over to the 12v side, not enough to show in most cases, but enough with the GTX.

I know both those ideas are pretty unlikely, but i thought i'd throw them out there since most of the likely suspects have already been suggested and discounted, appart from the bad batch one, it's possible that a small percentage (since the majority of gtx owners don't seem to have the problem) are getting extremely close to tolerance power parts, possibly just one particular subcontractor to Foxconn

Failing that, ya'll checked for UFO's right? :p

When I turn off the computer, I can hear a short buzz sound at the end from the 8800 GTX card. Is that normal? My power supply is Corsair 620W with Intel E6600.

The buzzing is from the coils or inductors. It happens on a lot of components from motherboards to videocards. It's normal but can be annoying. I've heard of people dripping glue over the coils to try to silence the physical buzzing caused by the magnetic field vibrating these coils and also causing EM interference that seems to leak everywhere, even into the sound output.

I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be my power supply. I had an older version of the Silverstone DA750 and I RMAed it and they sent me the newer version. No more noise :D

ANy resolution to this chain of events yet Solar? I bought a BFG 8800 GTX and its whining, sigh. Thought the problem woulda been fixed by now. Any advice you can pass on?

Apologies for ressing an ancient thread but I thought I should update everyone on what's going on. The answer is that there is *Absolutely no resolution to the buzz*. None of the manufacturers have attempted to confirm the issue and it still persists.
I did, however, overcome my immediate problem by purchasing a good set of these:

HD555_normal.jpg

Other than the buzz, the card runs great!

if it's a physical buzz coming from the coils, the solution was actually done a long time ago on older cards and CRT monitors... hot glue. Just apply some on anything that looks like a coil and see if it resolves your issue.

I recently put a HR-03 on mine and found no issues with buzzing. Just if I power down the PC, I get a beep. Since I leave it on 24/7, not a problem for me.

There is a known issue with 680i motherboards and capacitor squeels. If you look on EVGA forums you will see the reports.

Back