A-Data 4GB (2x2GB) 800MHz DDR2 $69 Shipped

More goodness!
The link for the mem cooler doesn't work.
I'll give the 1.95V a shot and see what hoppins.

The title says 69 shipped but shipping wasn't included when I added it to the cart. Did that change or was it always like that? 7 for ground, 10 for 2nd day.

I ordered on Monday and it was free shipping.

Doesn't seem to be the case as of today.

The title says 69 shipped but shipping wasn't included when I added it to the cart. Did that change or was it always like that? 7 for ground, 10 for 2nd day.

I dunno what's up. For some reason it's not letting me use my login credentials today...

I just put it in my computer and its only showing I have 3580MB of ram...is this right?

I just put it in my computer and its only showing I have 3580MB of ram...is this right?

Yes. You have a 32bit OS and a 32bit OS can only address/use 4GB of RAM minus what the system uses (VRAM, etc). So that reading is right.

If you want to use all 4GB of RAM, switch to a 64bit OS like Vista 64bit or Linux 64bit or XP 64bit.

Yes. You have a 32bit OS and a 32bit OS can only address/use 4GB of RAM minus what the system uses (VRAM, etc). So that reading is right.

If you want to use all 4GB of RAM, switch to a 64bit OS like Vista 64bit or Linux 64bit or XP 64bit.

Exactly what he said. I went ahead and tossed one stick to my friend who was in need of a 2 gig upgrade while keeping the other 2gig stick to myself for Windows XP. I just can't stand the bugs and glitches with Windows Vista at the moment so I'll wait until microsoft releases a SP2 of Vista to see if at least most of its issues are tweaked. ;)

how well does this ram overclock?

Here is my overclocking experience, as quoted earlier:

"I've had fun overclocking mine. Just so you know, I pulled some late hours to see if I could pull 1000MHz with these A-Data 800 sticks. First I tried 2.0v. I figured since it ran good at 888MHz with 1.9 volts, 2.0 would give it even more voltage overhead to run faster. Ran memtest and on the 4th test, 1st pass it threw like 4 or 5 errors. Figured maybe it needed 2.1v, so I changed it, ran memtest again, and it threw like 8 or 9 errors. I thought to myself, "Man this is some power-hungry memory.... " But I have my nice ram cooler installed so I figured it was safe to give 2.2v a try! Big mistake. Ran memtest and in like 6 seconds it was already up to 1300+ ERRORS!!! I screamed, "NO NO!! I'm frying my RAM!! RESET RESET AARGGHH!!! CRAP!!"

I decided that maybe by some freak of nature less might be more.... So I tried 1.85v. Ran memtest, threw like 3 errors. I thought to myself, "not too bad...BUT I WANT ZERO ERRORS!" So I tried 1.95v. My motherboard and BIOS have precise memory voltage increments, which helped give me more specific settings to try. Turns out that 1.95v is a real sweet spot! After 4 passes of memtest and ZERO errors on any of the tests, I set a new speed/stability record with my rig. Ran Prime95 with memory and cpu intensive tests, again NO errors, even with hours of runtime. YAY!!

This is the memory I have:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264468

I have two sets of it and it's been a blast so far. This is the memory cooler I use to keep it cool:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835202003

Works great and looks sexy, but a little too much shiny brightness for me. I'm going to spray paint it black. It'll match my mobo's black PCB that way.

1.95v isn't that far above the stock 1.8v. And I'm still running it at stock 5-5-5-18 timings. 1.95v is quite low and good for a 25% MHz overclock, and I don't even have to sacrifice my timings. Now the test will be time. How long will it hold up at those speeds/voltages? And how will my 680i handle the higher voltage output to the ram? I think I'll be fine, because the 680i is known to have problems more in the 2.3v to 2.4v range from what I've read. And my ram is still cool to the touch, especially under the memory cooler which is quiet, and pushes a lot of air. Kinda hard to mount, but does a great job. (I put a makeshift clear plastic shield under it, not because I think it will fall, but just in case it does I don't want it to fry my 8800GT right underneath it.)"

Newegg has it lots higher. DDR2 has hit rock bottom and on the way back up. I got my 2 sets for Future Build (Month or so when E8400 drops).

DM

awesome deal
bought a pair for e8400 build

was like $7 shipping tho but still a steal

Just ordered mine, $80 shipped+tax still seems pretty reasonable to me.

Corsair 2x2GB TwinX DDR2-800 @ 1.8V :

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0274412

$59.99 + shipping (~$5) after MIR. Just ordered one kit to replace my TwinX 4x1GB (going to FS/FT).

That's a good deal, but requires a mail-in-rebate. Fortunately corsair has been more faithful to me in rebates than EVGA has... You should be fine. They're a good company. (not that EVGA isn't, I just have no faith in EVGA rebates. I still do in corsair.)

I just picked up a set. I'm interested to bench the 2x2GB A-Data modules against the 4x1GB G.Skill I have in my system. Whichever is better I'll keep and sell the other. :D

I ordered a set saturday. I always had good luck with Adata so im sure these will work out ok. Im a little po'd about the shipping though. Ordered second day, and DHL just picked them up today :mad:. I wont see them til thursday at the soonest :(

Just ordered a pair, I think ddr2 ram has reached the lowest price point now

I ordered a set saturday. I always had good luck with Adata so im sure these will work out ok. Im a little po'd about the shipping though. Ordered second day, and DHL just picked them up today :mad:. I wont see them til thursday at the soonest :(

I just did standard shipping and they got here in 2 business days!! I wouldn't pay for extra shipping, unless it's an emergency or something. Fry's shipping is good. I don't even have one in my state. This ram is still being rock solid for me, even with 8GB in a 680i mobo, and with a 25% overclock! I couldn't be happier for 70 bucks.... (x2 of course! 8 GB of memory bliss!)

Ordered mine on Monday, was shipped on Monday. I look forward to installing it, and the nice red heatsinks will go nicely with my HD3850 card! :) Thanks for the heads up on the deal OP, and for your help SirKronan!

Ordered mine on Monday, was shipped on Monday. I look forward to installing it, and the nice red heatsinks will go nicely with my HD3850 card! :) Thanks for the heads up on the deal OP, and for your help SirKronan!

You're welcome. I hope they work good for you. Are you going to overclock them? What motherboard do you have? I'm thinking of trying to push them just a little harder - for benchmarking, not for my 24/7. I think I've found my stable 24/7 settings. I want to see if they'll run at 1066. That would be insanely impressive for a 4GB $70 set to run at 1066. Especially two of them at the same time. And on the finicky 680i to boot! Honestly I couldn't be much happier than I am now, though. They are running so good linked at 1000MHz, and I only had to give them 1.95 volts. That's still low voltage. I doubt they'll ever get hot with the memory cooler I have on them.

I'm just going to put these in my Intel DG33TL motherboard that came with my Retail Edge bundle this year. I have some Corsair stuff in there now that is running without errors, but it's rated at 1.9v and I have 4 1GB sticks. I figure I can get this now and run 2x2GB, and then later if I want/need to upgrade RAM for Vista x64 then I can. I'm not losing any money selling the Corsair stuff so I figured I might as well. It will also match my 3850 since it's red so that's a plus, especially since I don't have a case window and will never see it! :)

No overclocking allowed on Intel boards, but if I ever upgrade to an Asus micro-atx board for my HTPC I would consider it. The quad core's already running a tad warm in the HTPC case though...

I'm just going to put these in my Intel DG33TL motherboard that came with my Retail Edge bundle this year. I have some Corsair stuff in there now that is running without errors, but it's rated at 1.9v and I have 4 1GB sticks. I figure I can get this now and run 2x2GB, and then later if I want/need to upgrade RAM for Vista x64 then I can. I'm not losing any money selling the Corsair stuff so I figured I might as well. It will also match my 3850 since it's red so that's a plus, especially since I don't have a case window and will never see it! :)

No overclocking allowed on Intel boards, but if I ever upgrade to an Asus micro-atx board for my HTPC I would consider it. The quad core's already running a tad warm in the HTPC case though...

Oh, it should run great in that board. That board natively supports 1.8v, 800MHz, AND 8GB in the 4x2GB configuration. It should be very happy with that memory, which seems to be very power efficient. I've seen more expensive 2x2GB kits that require 2.0 volts to run at 1000MHz with CAS 5. Make sure you test each stick individually in memtest if you have time. It's just good practice, even if everything is at stock settings. Then test both sticks together. I hope you like that ram a lot! When you put in four sticks someday I would also put in the OCZ ore Corsair memory cooler just to extend the life of your memory. I think that's a good idea whenever you're running all four sticks, especially with the density of 2GB per stick.

[H]'er;1032027083 said:
I bit, no free shipping :(

How much have you guys been paying for shipping? It's still the best 2x2GB deal that I know of that comes without having to send in a mail in rebate. (@800MHz w/CAS 5 and 1.8v + heat spreaders & Lifetime warranty).

How much have you guys been paying for shipping? It's still the best 2x2GB deal that I know of that comes without having to send in a mail in rebate. (@800MHz w/CAS 5 and 1.8v + heat spreaders & Lifetime warranty).

Ordered monday shipping to texas $6.66

Got my ram today, I paid for the 2 day shipping. I figure 3 bucks is worth it so I can ship the stuff it's replacing to the man that bought it quicker. So far it's run 800% on memtest at stock voltages and clocks with 0 errors. Nice. The Intel DG33TL picked it right up, installed it in dual channel mode (mental note: match the DIMM colors) and it gets the same 5.7 score as my Corsair stuff at the same settings. Plenty happy, and have the flexibility to upgrade the board to 8GB if the need ever arises.

Awesome!

Got my ram today, I paid for the 2 day shipping. I figure 3 bucks is worth it so I can ship the stuff it's replacing to the man that bought it quicker. So far it's run 800% on memtest at stock voltages and clocks with 0 errors. Nice. The Intel DG33TL picked it right up, installed it in dual channel mode (mental note: match the DIMM colors) and it gets the same 5.7 score as my Corsair stuff at the same settings. Plenty happy, and have the flexibility to upgrade the board to 8GB if the need ever arises.

Awesome!

Sweet! Glad it's working solid for you. Please update when you bump up to 8GB....

How are these in comparison with the other 4gb deals going around, for example:

Corsair XMS2 DHX 4GB PC-6400 DDR2 Memory Kit [TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX]
5-5-5-18, 1.8v

mushkin 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) [996557]
5-5-5-18, 1.8v

mushkin 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 [996587]
5-4-4-12, 1.8v

Patriot DDR2 4GB PC6400 DUAL LLK PATRIOT [PDC24G6400LLK]
4-4-4-12

Patriot DDR2 4GB PC6400 DUAL PATRIOT [PDC24G6400ELK]
5-5-5-12

OCZ 4GB PC6400 DUAL C4 OCZ [OCZ2N800SR4GK]
5-4-4-15, 2.1v

OCZ 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 DUAL CHANNEL KIT/ (2X2GB)
5-6-6-15, 1.8-2.0 Volts

They're all around the general price range...

Just remember rebates of course. I've never been a fan of OCZ memory, other people swear by it, I find it rather ridiculous that their stuff requires so much voltage. Out of what you listed, I like the Corsair DHX c5 stuff myself,

How are these in comparison with the other 4gb deals going around, for example:

5-4-4-12, 1.8v

Patriot DDR2 4GB PC6400 DUAL LLK PATRIOT [PDC24G6400LLK]
4-4-4-12

They're all around the general price range...

Where can you the patriot PDC24G6400LLK for anything close to 70 bucks?

The Mushkin stuff:

5-4-4-12, 1.8v

Sounds fast and voltage efficient, which is important. Timings are a tad tighter than the A-Data. But where are you going to find it for $70 without mail-in-rebates? Those mushkin sticks are $95 AFTER a $30 mail in rebate on newegg vs $70 and no rebates for the A-Data. Your extra $55 you spend (25 a.r.) is not going to give you a justifiable speed increase in my opinion. And this A-Data ram seems to overclock with very little voltage increase. The more expensive G-Skill kit (newegg has it on sale right now for $89) requires 2.0 volts to run at 1000MHz with CAS 5. The A-Data pulls that off with only 1.95 volts. So far it's been fantastic memory for me. Memtest after memtest it refuses to throw a single error.

On a side note, for those of you that fancy mail in rebates, newegg now has this memory on sale for $63 with free shipping after a $20 mail in rebate.

EDIT
Link here: NO NO ALERT ALERT!!! BAD SIRKRONAN!!! This link is to the slower stuff. Don't buy!!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211166

DON'T CLICK!!! Go for the 800 instead, unless you have to have the slower stuff. Then it's a fair deal, I suppose!
EDIT

There's a lot to be said for memory that performs well with only tiny increases in voltage. I think A-Data has some real winner sticks here. I know newegg isn't to be cited for technical reviews, but their reviews are a great indicator of DOA's and failure rate. Compared to other ram sticks I've owned and read reviews on, those A-Data sticks (117 reviews and counting) have one of the lowest numbers of DOA and compatibility complaints I've ever seen memory on newegg have (per capita). I think most will be pleased with this ram for Intel boards with stock settings, or for slight overclocks on budget enthusiast systems. Especially those that want 4GB now, but the ability to add more later.

Even the patriot ELK provide better timings, better OC and were given a higher rating at Toms Hardware.... for only $10 extra. I picked up my patriot ram with free shipping from the link below:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5200607?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I will do some more research, but I believe that memory at Fry's is a little cheaper set than the one sold at newegg and reviewed at tom's. I saw a post about it on another thread. I'm sure it's still fantastic ram though, and if it really performs at better timings than this A-Data ram at the same voltage, it might be worth the 10 dollars extra to some. Again, thank you Fry's for those great ram deals. I'm glad so many people are having good luck with ram from them, including myself.

Correction:

It looks like the same set newegg sells for 100 bucks. But you won't get it to run at those timings and speeds at 1.8v. It's rated at 2.0v. Many boards (Intel especially) won't let you change the voltage by default, and run at 1.8v stock. At that voltage this 10 dollar more expensive ram will not outperform these A-Data sticks. If I crank 2.0v into my A-Data sticks I bet you they'll run even tighter than 5-5-5-12 at 800MHz than the Patriots.... I guess it depends on the individual sticks, too, but you can't compare 2.0v ram directly with 1.8v ram. The A-Data stuff remains a good deal.

Just remember rebates of course. I've never been a fan of OCZ memory, other people swear by it, I find it rather ridiculous that their stuff requires so much voltage. Out of what you listed, I like the Corsair DHX c5 stuff myself,

Thanks for the input, I might take your recommendation.

Where can you the patriot PDC24G6400LLK for anything close to 70 bucks?

It was 79.99 for a few weeks (not to be confused with the other deal going on right now): http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5447899?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

But seems to be back up at 99.99. Not sure if I can recall above price was AR though.

That's a good deal, but requires a mail-in-rebate. Fortunately corsair has been more faithful to me in rebates than EVGA has... You should be fine. They're a good company. (not that EVGA isn't, I just have no faith in EVGA rebates. I still do in corsair.)

Corsair, out of all the experiences I've had, (Antec, Cooler Master, Creative), gets an A+ on rebate returns, they're quick too, and they'll make sure you get it. ;)

I just picked up a set. I'm interested to bench the 2x2GB A-Data modules against the 4x1GB G.Skill I have in my system. Whichever is better I'll keep and sell the other. :D

I'm interested in your bench results, if you could share them with us. I have a 4x1gb set myself, not too sure how it compares, but I think the timings are looser? Either way, let us know how it turns if you ever get around to it, thanks for sharing! :)

Just ordered a pair, I think ddr2 ram has reached the lowest price point now

Could they be even lower?!?! :eek:

Still more convenient to buy without having to send in rebates in the first place. I know many of us have had too many bad experiences with mail in rebates, and I just wanted to post a good deal without a rebate. I am glad that the deal (other than free shipping) is still going for those that haven't had a chance to order yet. Newegg has a similar deal, but requires a mail in rebate to get the sale. For $6 more (or 12 if you count shipping) I'd rather never have to deal with a rebate. You pay less up front.

Sold out now at Frys.

On a side note, when I ordered it I paid for 2 day shipping on the 5th. Still not here, but is supposed to arrive today. Frys refunded my shipping cost, almost $10. DHL really sucks, second problem in a month with them.

Back